Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Cereal is soup, coffee is bean juice, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Jayme posted:

Wait, aren't those distinct brands as well, even if they've become the generic term for cotton swabs and bandages respectively? Those might not be the best examples to use...

They are, but a q-tip and a brand X cotton swab are functionally the same. Coke and Sprite and whatever taste real different.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
It's all candy sugar water. If you need carbonation, I recommend Topo Chico.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Powershift posted:

Pop is actually the more popular term in the important swing states, and those are the only ones that matter

I call at least partial bullshit on this map, I've lived in one of the alleged Coke counties in central Indiana (albeit one of the 30-50% ones) for almost seven years now and have yet to hear anything other than pop or soda for the generic term, even in other, allegedly Cokier counties.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Sagebrush posted:

i bet you think a hot dog isn't a sandwich either

it isn't a loving sandwich because a sandwich requires TWO pieces of bread (at a minimum)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

http://i.imgur.com/PrfHQlJ.mp4

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

JFairfax posted:

it isn't a loving sandwich because a sandwich requires TWO pieces of bread (at a minimum)

Nah, a sandwich is any filling enclosed on at least two sides by any type of bread, that has not been cooked after assembly (toasting does not count as cooking).

Hotdog is sandwich.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

JFairfax posted:

Subs are sandwiches though.

[edit] Is a roll/bun/bap a sandwich?

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 6, 2017

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

Nah, a sandwich is any filling enclosed on at least two sides by any type of bread, that has not been cooked after assembly (toasting does not count as cooking).

Hotdog is sandwich.

wrong

Ak Gara posted:

Subs are sandwiches though.

[edit] Is a roll/bun/bap a sandwich?

subs are sandwiches because the bread is sliced into two slices which come together

and yes rolls buns baps are sandwiches because you cut them in half and have two slices. if you leave them flapping like a muppet's head there's soemthing wrong with u.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JFairfax posted:

wrong

subs are sandwiches because the bread is sliced into two slices which come together

and yes rolls buns baps are sandwiches because you cut them in half and have two slices. if you leave them flapping like a muppet's head there's soemthing wrong with u.

Subway subs are never cut into 2 individual slices.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Tumblr of scotch posted:

I call at least partial bullshit on this map, I've lived in one of the alleged Coke counties in central Indiana (albeit one of the 30-50% ones) for almost seven years now and have yet to hear anything other than pop or soda for the generic term, even in other, allegedly Cokier counties.

:same: I've lived here 30 years and never heard anyone actually from here use Coke generically. It bothers me a little every time I see this map.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Turtlicious posted:

yet another reason why they're a bit poo poo at making sandwiches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q99pw9Z50wk

JFairfax fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 6, 2017

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Turtlicious posted:

I've seen this fairly often. Not 100% of the time, but ever since they stopped doing the V-cut thing, some staff just get lazy and cut the bread completely in half.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Hotdog is sandwich.

Monte Cristo sandwich, grilled cheese sandwiches

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I've seen this fairly often. Not 100% of the time, but ever since they stopped doing the V-cut thing, some staff just get lazy and cut the bread completely in half.

EAT FLATBREAD MOTHERFUCKERS PROBLEM SOLVED!

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
My dad is renovating his deck at the moment. The builder pulled this out of the old one.

Yikes.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Splode posted:

My dad is renovating his deck at the moment. The builder pulled this out of the old one.

Yikes.

My brother had similar bolts that held the body to the chassis of a rusted out Camaro he bought when he was 18, every bump you were pointing in a different direction from where the car was actually going

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing
What is the generic, no-brand term for Heroin?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

diamorphine seems to be accepted on wikipedia, but I don't think the heroin trademark is still valid.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Anta posted:

What is the generic, no-brand term for Heroin?

diacetylmorphine or diamorphine depending on whether you're in the US or UK

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
A sandwich is like fascism, there's no precise definition but you know it when you see it.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

blugu64 posted:

Monte Cristo sandwich, grilled cheese sandwiches

Yah sure there are exceptions to every rule, the no cooking thing is mostly just to keep stuff like calzones and pop tarts off the list.

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

i think calling a burger a sandwich is weird, let alone a hot dog, but you can't argue with science

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

mods please change my name to "radical sandwich anarchy" tia

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Where's the "who fuckin' cares?" option?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

GotLag posted:

Where's the "who fuckin' cares?" option?

Just move out of the US and get off the internet and there it is!

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Is that a tow rope?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Carecat posted:

Is that a tow rope?

A question of semantics, really. I'm sure it was intended to be a tow rope while in practice it's a tether.

e: And, of course, since English is a poo poo language perfectly incapable of unambiguity, tether can also mean a tow rope :shrug:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Power Bottom posted:

mods please change my name to "radical sandwich anarchy" tia
https://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=140982

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BernieLomax
May 29, 2002
In Spitsbergen (Norwegian island far north) the local governor closed down the site upon seeing this. Anonymous says "It might not look very good, but they are coupled to each other. It's never going to fall down".

Article (norwegian) - Gallery at the bottom with additional pictures.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Yah sure there are exceptions to every rule, the no cooking thing is mostly just to keep stuff like calzones and pop tarts off the list.

No True Scottsman would consider a hotdog to be a sandwich.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Modest Mao posted:

Cereal is soup, coffee is bean juice, etc

Coffee is made of berries, not beans

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
The TSA is the most worthless thing in the countries budget. I don't get why the terrorists won, oh, because the TSA lets them,

Minneapolis Airport Fails 95 Percent of Security Tests, Sources Say

When put to the test, Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport failed 95-percent of security tests conducted at the airport last week, according to Fox 9 sources.

http://www.fox21online.com/2017/07/03/minneapolis-airport-fails-95-percent-security-tests-sources-say/

I have to fly through there in a few weeks, hope I DON'T LOSE ANYTHING.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

I'm calling the police

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

http://i.imgur.com/zedNLmP.mp4

Unfortunately, they had to notify his parents that he's still alive and that they raised an idiot.

A similar thing happened here last week, only the guy was going the other way, trying to jump ON to the ferry.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/wild-ride-off-a-bc-ferries-loading-ramp-nets-sunshine-coast-man-13-charges-1.4184929

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Boiled Water posted:

diamorphine seems to be accepted on wikipedia, but I don't think the heroin trademark is still valid.

Bayer lost the heroin trademark as part of the treaty to end World War One.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless