Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
If the microthrottling thing holds true and is the reason for the apparent IPC regression, we might end up seeing an AMD GPU that performs better when underclocked :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
I have a Samsung 4K TV that I'm using as a monitor.

The TV will do 4k 60 Hz at 4:4:4 color using either YCbCr or RGB Full through the HDMI 2.0 output on a Radeon RX 480.

Does it make a difference which one I choose?

sincx fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 5, 2017

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

SlayVus posted:

So if we underclock Vega for reduced power consumption, we should we engagement of all cores all the time. Which should in theory provide a more stable environment for gaming and other junk.

One of the reviews mentioned that if you touch any voltage settings at all, the HBM modules will go to half speed permanently until you reset everything and reboot.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

sauer kraut posted:

One of the reviews mentioned that if you touch any voltage settings at all, the HBM modules will go to half speed permanently until you reset everything and reboot.

An overclockers dream

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Jim Keller taught the Zen team how to suck the powers out of the Radeon team like some kind of engineering vampire

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Kazinsal posted:

If the microthrottling thing holds true and is the reason for the apparent IPC regression, we might end up seeing an AMD GPU that performs better when underclocked :lol:

my old reference r9 290x had such an inadequate cooler that running it at the stock speed with some games would cause it to periodically overheat and throttle, turning them into a stuttery mess. performing better when underclocked is practically an amd tradition at this point; it's almost endearing

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kazinsal posted:

Jim Keller taught the Zen team how to suck the powers out of the Radeon team like some kind of engineering vampire

One of my portfolio companies has a couple of ex-AMD engineers (and Jim Keller as an investor/advisor). They're always very quick to point out that they're from the CPU side of the house, and of the Zen era.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I wonder if a GTX 1060 with no display outputs could be used for Steam streaming.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Knowing Nvidia's iron-fisted grip against blurring market segmentation lines? Probably Error 43.

eames
May 9, 2009

PBCrunch posted:

I wonder if a GTX 1060 with no display outputs could be used for Steam streaming.

Many games don't stream unless you plug in a monitor or dummy-dongle so I doubt it.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

eGPU that's always routed back to the laptop screen.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

eames posted:

Many games don't stream unless you plug in a monitor or dummy-dongle so I doubt it.

This is correct. There is no "default display" in Windows, if you don't have a monitor or a dummy-dongle then the display is actually not rendered at all.

Steam would have to implement a "virtual monitor" that captures the output and streams it. What they actually have uses basically the same mechanism as Shadowplay/OBS - it framegrabs the output being rendered to another display.

Remote Desktop does provide some of this functionality though (you can RD into a headless machine, you cannot VNC into a headless machine). Maybe there would be a way to piggyback on that, but I doubt RD is optimized around gaming (it may actually even be a software renderer, I'm not sure).

NewFatMike posted:

eGPU that's always routed back to the laptop screen.

Nope, the laptop screen counts as an output display here, even if magic is happening in the background to get the frames to the screen.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 5, 2017

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
I'm sure people would come up with some cool software solutions if it weren't for the fact that these are only going to be like 20bux cheaper. Maybe when the secondhand ones hit ebay for like $30.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Paul MaudDib posted:

This is correct. There is no "default display" in Windows, if you don't have a monitor or a dummy-dongle then the display is actually not rendered at all.

Steam would have to implement a "virtual monitor" that captures the output and streams it. What they actually have uses basically the same mechanism as Shadowplay/OBS - it framegrabs the output being rendered to another display.

Nope, the laptop screen counts as an output display here, even if magic is happening in the background to get the frames to the screen.

Ah I was just kind of thinking out loud about other uses for the no output cards.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

NewFatMike posted:

Ah I was just kind of thinking out loud about other uses for the no output cards.

Oh, I see what you're saying. That's a good point, you actually could use an eGPU+miner card with a laptop. The downside is that streaming the display back to the laptop kills performance - PCIe 3.0x4 is already bottlenecking just for the drawcalls, streaming uncompressed bitmaps back too is far too much bandwidth.

Maybe when Display Stream Compression comes out, that might be enough to squish it down to a reasonable extent.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Paul MaudDib posted:

Oh, I see what you're saying. That's a good point, you actually could use an eGPU+miner card with a laptop. The downside is that streaming the display back to the laptop kills performance - PCIe 3.0x4 is already bottlenecking just for the drawcalls, streaming uncompressed bitmaps back too is far too much bandwidth.

Maybe when Display Stream Compression comes out, that might be enough to squish it down to a reasonable extent.

A 1060 or 570 or whatever, even with the link speed gimped and streaming output back (on TB3 at least), is still a significant boost for something like an ultrabook with no dedicated GPU. If we actually see TB3 eGPU prices come down to earth in the near future it could be a cool combo.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
If they could ever do like an 8x connection, you do a 4x directional which shouldn't cause any problems. But that would be up to Intel making a new thunderbolt connection that could sustain that kind of throughput, making it come off the CPU directly, and manufacturers adopting it.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Dell was briefly selling the PNY 3-fan 1080 Ti for $634 today, which I believe would be a new low for a 1080 Ti, but its back up to $699 on their page now.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
It's very disappointing to see AMD's GPU division basically collapse.

I hope Nvidia doesn't price gouge to hard with Volta. I don't think I can do another $80 hike like the 1070 was over the 970.

edit: Oh and of course the miners jacking prices up on nearly everything as well.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

OhFunny posted:

It's very disappointing to see AMD's GPU division basically collapse.

I hope Nvidia doesn't price gouge to hard with Volta. I don't think I can do another $80 hike like the 1070 was over the 970.

edit: Oh and of course the miners jacking prices up on nearly everything as well.

Remember though the 970 was a $70 price decrease (for no real reason) so really we're in for a $160 increase now

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

1gnoirents posted:

Remember though the 970 was a $70 price decrease (for no real reason) so really we're in for a $160 increase now
I dont fault nvidia for taking the money, they are a business and have no choice when AMD sucks so hard.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I'll pay it gladly if Nvidia keeps doing these great energy efficiency gains every generation. They're doing a better job than Intel at this point.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

repiv posted:

That's more evidence for the micro-throttling theory then. If Vega is disabling shader cores to moderate its power consumption without affecting geometry throughput then you'd expect a drop in IPC as the target clock increases.

We really need to see how Vega behaves under watercooling.
good news
https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/882769416659881984

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
One way or another, this is going to be good.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
I saw a thread on overclockers.com forums where somebody bought a Vega FE to use as a VM passthrough card. On a Promox linux home server... passing through to Ubuntu :eyepop:

https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/783058-Vega-Frontier-in-my-server

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

The Lord Bude posted:

One way or another, this is going to be good.

"We put it on a X299 board and then all the VRMs exploded into flames at once. This combo is a very hot commodity right now."

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
I'm just glad amd gpu's suck at the moment so my conscience can keep telling itself my overpriced gsync monitor was justified.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Otakufag posted:

I'm just glad amd gpu's suck at the moment so my conscience can keep telling itself my overpriced gsync monitor was justified.

Same except I paid $270 for my XB270HU. :v:

Really though, the "lock-in" on GSync is no big deal right now given that NVIDIA has total dominance of the market. AMD hasn't managed to compete with anything faster than the 1060 and Vega probably won't compete with anything faster than an 1160. Right now NVIDIA lock-in is solid gold handcuffs.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
When new cards are put onto Newegg, what time of day is that generally? I'm specifically looking at getting the Aorus Gaming Box if that helps.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

AT has some info on the mining graphics card craze, and why the board partners are doing it

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11607/cryptocurrency-mining-cards-update-zotac-manli-biostar-products-formally-confirmed

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
AMD putting the brakes on the hype train (Rys from Beyond3D, he's their EU marketing manager or something similar):

quote:

The "Fiji fallback driver" or "Fiji drivers" meme needs to stop. That's not how it works or should be described. Otherwise you should start calling Volta drivers Pascal drivers Maxwell drivers. There is obviously commonality -- that's just how software engineering needs to work for a GPU -- but calling it a Fiji driver or Fiji fallback is wrong.
https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/amd-vega-10-vega-11-and-vega-20-rumors-and-discussion.59649/page-138#post-1990723

quote:

About the driver comment: it's normal and completely expected for there to be common code in a GPU driver that applies to some or all of the GPUs a driver supports, alongside the specifics for the GPU being driven. That's hopefully just a given. So it was just a guiding hand to not conflate any commonality with it running the driver for a different ASIC, and then reading things into that.

I'd have said that regardless of working for AMD or not, since the above is true for all GPU vendors.

I want to talk about Vega and RX here as much as everyone else since I'm a GPU enthusiast, but that's not in my wheelhouse (unless you're an NDA'd developer of course!), so I can't go into specifics.
https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/1990837/

:tif:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 6, 2017

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The Vega FE driver is also reporting support for numerous DX12 features that weren't supported by Fiji or Polaris, which just debunks the "Fiji mode" theory even more.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i guess everything is fine then and its a steal at $1000

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

repiv posted:

The Vega FE driver is also reporting support for numerous DX12 features that weren't supported by Fiji or Polaris, which just debunks the "Fiji mode" theory even more.

This doesn't mean anything if it performs like a dumpster fire

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Fauxtool posted:

i guess everything is fine then and its a steal at $1000

In the grim, dark future of next month, 1070s, 1060s, 580s will also cost $1000, so Vega's price / perf will be fine.

1080s will remain a value option at around $600 because it doesn't mine well.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I prefer the fiji mode theory because that means its okay hardware being held back and not crap hardware that wont get better

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Twerk from Home posted:

In the grim, dark future of next month, 1070s, 1060s, 580s will also cost $1000, so Vega's price / perf will be fine.

1080s will remain a value option at around $600 because it doesn't mine well.

Think I can sell my RX480 for enough to buy a 1080?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Risky Bisquick posted:

The implication was that these can't be drivers from like 8 months ago if they include support for features that were only released like 3 months ago.

To me, "old drivers" has always meant "drivers released today were feature-frozen like a month ago for stability testing", not "you could have had a baby in the timeframe since we updated the drivers for the launch of our flagship product". It doesn't make any sense at all that a product like Vega would release with ancient drivers, but the performance of Vega doesn't make sense either and since AMD's not talking, people are doing code archaeology to try and figure out what could possibly be wrong.

(the "microthrottle" theory seems to make sense to me both in terms of the behavior and the engineering logic behind it, but I certainly don't regard it as proven by any means and would love if AMD would explain what the gently caress we're looking at here)

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if they were doing anything they could be proud of you can be sure they would be telling us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Risky Bisquick posted:

That's not the point, only that the drivers are different. Of course the whole thing is a mess.