Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!

fishmech posted:

The cores are already packed with traffic, and have been for decades. Particularly in cities like Brussels and London.

London inner core is a perfect example of a good urban core. Tiny streets, plenty of one way systems, many 1-2 lane streets and almost completely devoid of a grid system makes it a nightmare to drive, which is a good thing.

Compare and contrast to many American cities which use wider streets, with more room for cars and a complete adherence to a grid like system.

fishmech posted:

They've been building a ton more highways and motorways all across Europe, especially because of the ongoing growth of truck-based shipping, due to lack of suitable freight railroad options (unlike the United States) and there are certainly a ton more parking lots built in the outlying areas.

Which is fine. Again, if suburbia wants to drive around in suburbia, be my guest. But trying to accommodate them going to the core via car is the problem.

Edit: Also inter-city goods transportation is a whole separate subject from commuting.

White Rock fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jun 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Significant Ant
Jun 14, 2017

by R. Guyovich

fishmech posted:

You are giving way too much credit to European and Asian cities for being well designed and not sprawl, because tons of them are poorly designed and sprawl like crazy.

Also "it's unsustainable" is bullshit. Things that have lasted close on 80 years can hardly be said to not sustain. The modern "good city" you so praise isn't much older than the suburb you claim can't work long term. Do not say "unsustainable" as if it means "aesthetics I don't like".
The outer fringe of development is always lovely, but once you get a few miles in there tends to be an organic densification over the long term. Among other things this tends to turn pure bedroom communities or bedrooms plus strip malls into employment centers in their own right (the edge city process) which creates ever lessened dependence or even interaction with the old core.

It's also perfectly practical to add transit in, that's what happened in the first place with cities. Very few were intentionally designed to support it, it had to be retrofitted in and it tended to bring its own densification. Most of those places will never get more than an ok bus system any time soon - but there's also plenty of small and medium European and Asian cities that basically just have an ok bus system for transit with maybe a passenger rail stop to go the nearest big city.

Prague is way bigger of a clusterfuck than most American cities, but it at least has a good tram/metro system that makes sense. Americans have no excuse for their urban areas.

Tehdas
Dec 30, 2012

call to action posted:

But the minute an area gets great, reliable transit, it's going to be turned in to luxury live/work condos. Look at places near the subway, or BART, or light rail in different cities and you'll find better transit pushes property values way up and poor people out. Denver, again, is terrible about this - the W light rail line turned a bunch of working class neighborhoods into upper middle class ones.

I'd suspect this effect is not as pronounced in areas with widespread public transport. In areas where it is scare it will be valuable.
The solution here is to keep on building it until it doesn't have a massive effect on property prices (and charge the surrounding areas so the government can claw back some of the profits gotten by the landowners (then spend it on more PT))

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Tehdas posted:

I'd suspect this effect is not as pronounced in areas with widespread public transport. In areas where it is scare it will be valuable.
The solution here is to keep on building it until it doesn't have a massive effect on property prices (and charge the surrounding areas so the government can claw back some of the profits gotten by the landowners (then spend it on more PT))

I'd be interested in seeing a map of either rents or property prices in a city with a large, established public transit network, like London, Madrid, Moscow, NYC, etc. My personal feeling is that proximity to a subway station still commands a significant premium, but that the radius of that effect is smaller. What I mean is that you'd still expect flats right next to a metro station, as well as commercial rents, would be quite high, but places 1km or more away would basically return to the mean -- whereas in a city with limited public transportation, the radius of that effect could be 2-3km much more easily.

I admit this is just my personal feeling and I haven't bothered to try backing it up with data.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Tehdas posted:

That sounds like a great idea, but I wonder how many people will want to continue paying for transit buildout once it's no longer benefitting them.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

fishmech posted:

A train derailment that ended without anyone needing serious medical treatment. It really, truly, wasn't a big deal. We get far more deadly car incidents on daily commutes, that ain't stopping people from driving.

And I'm not sure why you think I'm defending bad rail maintenance or possibly bad brakes on the train, the two things they're currently suspecting caused that?

I meant that comment as more of a general indicator of the long-term decline of the NJ/NY transit system, with the derailment being just the latest data point. Obviously it's still a massive system and moves tons of people, but if the current trajectory continues it could have a really deleterious effect on the city. Not to mention if there's another storm and this time it knocks out the Hudson tunnels for good.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

call to action posted:

That sounds like a great idea, but I wonder how many people will want to continue paying for transit buildout once it's no longer benefitting them.
I mean even if good transit comes by your house, when it gets extended elsewhere that means more places you can go.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Mozi posted:

I meant that comment as more of a general indicator of the long-term decline of the NJ/NY transit system, with the derailment being just the latest data point. Obviously it's still a massive system and moves tons of people, but if the current trajectory continues it could have a really deleterious effect on the city. Not to mention if there's another storm and this time it knocks out the Hudson tunnels for good.

Millenials are KILLING the NYC metro!!

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/06/28/nyregion/subway-delays-overcrowding.html

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

call to action posted:

We live in a society where we understand that a burden shared is a burden lessened. Or at least, we should understand that.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Cicero posted:

I mean even if good transit comes by your house, when it gets extended elsewhere that means more places you can go.

This also speaks to a zoning problem. If you're building large amounts of residential with few businesses, and then hooking it up to transit, that's not helping anyone except the people who live there. If you ensure transit-focused development has a good mixture of retail space, office space, professional buildings, restaurants, bars, etc., then all of a sudden that good transit system can take people already living on a transit line to a new place they might want to go.

A large problem with how transit is designed in Calgary is it's very much meant as a system to take people in and out of downtown. Essentially all of the bus lines and train lines go from a neighbourhood into the core, so it's difficult to use transit as a way of actually getting around the city from point to point.

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

Got no use for psychiatry
I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
My tongue is a double agent

Cicero posted:

But eventually public transport will make its way to THE POORS and then they can take the train to your neighborhood with their booze and their weeds and steal your television.

An actual argument that was made against the smart train in the North Bay

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Great Metal Jesus posted:

But eventually public transport will make its way to THE POORS and then they can take the train to your neighborhood with their booze and their weeds and steal your television.

Yeah, here too, while arguing against a bus rapid transit expansion.

These people are so sheltered they've obviously never even tried bringing a large thing they've bought on the bus with them.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

PT6A posted:

This also speaks to a zoning problem. If you're building large amounts of residential with few businesses, and then hooking it up to transit, that's not helping anyone except the people who live there.
I mean it can also alleviate pressure on roads and let others visit friends they may have in the area. But I agree with your wider point, better to zone to allow retail/commercial space near transit hubs outside the city core too.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Cicero posted:

I mean it can also alleviate pressure on roads and let others visit friends they may have in the area. But I agree with your wider point, better to zone to allow retail/commercial space near transit hubs outside the city core too.

As I expanded on, another big problem is if you have a hub-and-spoke model, which I would think is reasonably common, even that's difficult unless you live downtown. It's minimum three "segments" some of which only run every 30 to 60 minutes. With two segments you can easily time a connection, but more than that and things start getting dicey.

One thing I liked about Montreal was, apart from the metro system, a lot of the buses seemed to go up and down arterial roads instead of serving specific communities. That was a good system because it took advantage of the grid system, rather than a lovely hub-and-spoke model.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

This was the excuse used whenever a light rail system was tabled in Orlando in the 1990's. It got so bad that the fear of the 'other' (read: scareh blacks and latinos) was so bad that it jumped hosts and was part of the reason why they put the high speed rail idea between Atlanta, Tampa, O-town and Miami on permanent ice. As if poor people are going to be riding bullet trains from Metro Miami or ATL just to come gently caress with you in Winter Park.

Speaking of Transit chat...I think NYC and environs is the right formula due to its age. All the train stations say in Lower Westchester, where I happen to reside...are all little mini cores that have mixed use, multi family and multi story units that radiate out from the train station. It's sort of neat that there's an old Bank of New York building at every single stop of the Harlem and New Haven Lines (haven't ridden the Hudson in ages and I think it's different). If we could do that and combine it with an idea like ReThink it would be a massive boon.

Actually, here's the plan: http://www.rethinknyc.org/

It's amazing, the only problem is that it puts Grand Central in a sort of bind for various reasons (I'm not going to nerd out here).

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah that used to be the main MO for transit, it wasn't a money pit to help poors get around, it was a method of getting rich off realestate. This is still pretty much the model in japan. Railway company buys up a huge chunk of land and builds a suburban train station in the middle and connects it to its metro rail system. They then personally develop the land around the station, a shopping centre, a hotel, apartments. it's not loving parking lots, they aren't doing any park and ride bullshit they're maximizing the valuable land immediately around the station to its fullest both to earn money off the leases/sales as well as make the population and transport patterns funnel into the station for ticket revenue as well.

The US used to have a ton of this. Light rail lines servicing developments that spring into little nearly self-sufficient little communities centered around the station, street car suburbs, that sort of thing. The transit drove the land use patterns and was used as a tool of generating long term wealth and patterning transport around transit. Now though we wait for an area to sprawl out, then we spend a fortune building some lovely LRT system through while often allowing nimby's to keep the area low density and wasting all the most valuable land around the stations for parking lots.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Let's maybe split off the urban planning chat into its own thread?

blowfish posted:

Did it involve insufficient amounts of capitalism?

...kinda? Inner Harbour worked because there was a really favorable environment for it(a very complex calculus there), really tuned in and well-coordinated muni government, a ton of commercial and industry interest (there's your capitalism), and related geographic players had an interest. Most places that think they "need" or could be "saved" by an equivalent project don't know what they're doing, or the very reasons they need it mean it can't work.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 1, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah that used to be the main MO for transit, it wasn't a money pit to help poors get around, it was a method of getting rich off realestate. This is still pretty much the model in japan. Railway company buys up a huge chunk of land and builds a suburban train station in the middle and connects it to its metro rail system. They then personally develop the land around the station, a shopping centre, a hotel, apartments. it's not loving parking lots, they aren't doing any park and ride bullshit they're maximizing the valuable land immediately around the station to its fullest both to earn money off the leases/sales as well as make the population and transport patterns funnel into the station for ticket revenue as well.

The US used to have a ton of this. Light rail lines servicing developments that spring into little nearly self-sufficient little communities centered around the station, street car suburbs, that sort of thing. The transit drove the land use patterns and was used as a tool of generating long term wealth and patterning transport around transit. Now though we wait for an area to sprawl out, then we spend a fortune building some lovely LRT system through while often allowing nimby's to keep the area low density and wasting all the most valuable land around the stations for parking lots.

Well you're hardly going to get all the land that's already been built on taken by the government to be sold to some railroad for barely anything, which is how that would have to work now that development already happened.

Otherwise you're just building more sprawl to start on land that's just owned by a government entity or some farmers willing to sell out for cheap.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Visiting Toronto got me interested in urban design and transit infrastructure, and having followed that city's development (as well as the suburban people yelling about a "war on cars" for any funding alternatives at all) for a decade now I'm willing to say go ahead and implement a gently caress CARS agenda.

Transit inherently is going to carry around a disadvantage in that nobody willingly wants to be in intimate proximity of total strangers, as well as the stigma that the only people riding it are the people too poor to use cars. People just would rather be in personal pods that take them directly on their chosen route. So the answer to this is the raise the cost of driving in urban areas until you can't look down on people too poor to drive in the city because that faction also includes you.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
In Seattle, car registration renewals are like 4x bigger than usual suddenly because of a mass transit levy that recently passed. People are hooting and hollering about a war on cars but I say gently caress em let's build more rapid rail transit.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
A goddamn men.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

And elsewhere. If not explicitly. Some dude is deffo going to take the 2pm into the city carrying your flat screen and get away with it

Jesus Horse
Feb 24, 2004

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

And elsewhere. If not explicitly. Some dude is deffo going to take the 2pm into the city carrying your flat screen and get away with it

That was the same argument made to kill light rail service from dfw airport / dart to cowboy stadium

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

*Stares at $123.47 Sears Holding share price*

Uh... that's one huge dead cat bounce... :stonk:

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Horseshoe theory posted:

*Stares at $123.47 Sears Holding share price*

Uh... that's one huge dead cat bounce... :stonk:

Why would it possibly be up that high? Can you explain what causes that?

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
there's a bug in yahoo finance. many stocks are reporting as 123.47

EDIT: or somewhere upstream of yahoo finance

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

FamDav posted:

there's a bug in yahoo finance. many stocks are reporting as 123.47

EDIT: or somewhere upstream of yahoo finance

Yeah it's some bigger thing.
https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/3/15917950/nasdaq-nyse-stock-market-data-error

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

the world economy will be destroyed by a fat-fingered computer janitor

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

*Chucks True Religion onto the bankrupt chain cart*

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
We have a new business model for failing retail:

http://time.com/4846516/hobby-lobby-department-of-justice-iraq-artifacts-smuggle/

Just smuggle stolen culture artifacts as tile samples! And then...uh, well, I don't know what Phase 2 of this Master Plan is.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

glowing-fish posted:

We have a new business model for failing retail:

http://time.com/4846516/hobby-lobby-department-of-justice-iraq-artifacts-smuggle/

Just smuggle stolen culture artifacts as tile samples! And then...uh, well, I don't know what Phase 2 of this Master Plan is.

Well I mean does anyone see them funding a $500 million MUSEUM OF BIBLE off of the profit margins of running a hobby based retail store and go 'oh yeah that's legit'

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Uncle Jam posted:

Well I mean does anyone see them funding a $500 million MUSEUM OF BIBLE off of the profit margins of running a hobby based retail store and go 'oh yeah that's legit'

I thought it was a meth lab front, to be honest.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Uncle Jam posted:

They don't sell much hobby stuff tbh most of their profit comes from home decor stuff of which they charge an arm and a leg for. They're actually quite profitable. And the owners are crazy Christians who don't allow barcode scanners to be used because they're the mark of the devil or some such nonsense

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Researching the (shamefully true) story of Hobby Lobby's barcode hatred, I foundthis story about the magical $90 throw pillows that live in clearance sections of Hobby Lobbies across the country.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Raldikuk posted:

They don't sell much hobby stuff tbh most of their profit comes from home decor stuff of which they charge an arm and a leg for. They're actually quite profitable. And the owners are crazy Christians who don't allow barcode scanners to be used because they're the mark of the devil or some such nonsense

These days they like to claim "oh it would cost too much to change to barcodes now" but everyone can see that's blatantly false.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Stores have been doing shenanigans like that for as long as stores have existed, really. As terrible as Hobby Lobby is that isn't unique to them. There are entire chains of stores that do things like sell their jeans at cost but put them aaaaaaaall the way in the back so you have to walk past literally everything else to get there. That or "EVERYTHING MUST GO!!!! UP TO 90% OFF!!!!!" but they only have one thing that was 90% off and they just happened to not have it in stock and oh you'll get an average of 5% off on everything else in the store and we just happened to raise all our prices the day before the sale went on.

It's all just a total amazing coincidence!!!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
People, the RETAILERS have been LYING to us ALL ALONG.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
QVC, The Home Shopping Network, and Infusion Brands (Makers of "As Seen on TV" products) are all merging under a buyout deal from QVC.

You can buy your slapchop, overpriced jewelry, and authentic japanese katanas all in one place for another couple of years before this new company goes bankrupt.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Why the gently caress is there a bible museum in the USA anyway? Makes no loving sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I heard an ad on the radio for Amazon warehouse jobs in Sumner, WA so I headed over to the website to check it out.

Some highlights:

quote:

Amazon lets customers order whatever they need, whenever they need. Flexibility is key, associates should be open to extra hours, time off, and a rapid pace.

quote:

Temperature in our warehouses may vary between 60 and 90 degrees, and will occasionally exceed 90 degrees.

quote:

Flex, not just your muscles - you are willing and able to work all shifts
Overtime isn't just a sports term - you are willing and able to work overtime as required, bringing smiles to our customers doesn't take time off.