Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Escobarbarian posted:

Netflix just sent me an email about a show called Friends From College - a sitcom created by Nicholas Stoller and starring Keegan-Michael Key, Cobie Smulders, Fred Savage, and others which premieres this Friday. I have never heard of this show before. Am I slacking or is peak TV just getting to be too much?

Netflix shows just spontaneously coalesce out of the aether without any warning to anyone, I'm not even sure Netflix knows what they are or when they're coming out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I'm actually looking forward to Friends From College (though the reviews haven't been great, from what I understand), but I kind of wonder if Netflix, in its bid for self-sufficiency, is diluting its brand to the point that when a show or movie of theirs comes out that's actually worth a poo poo, it stands a greater chance of being ignored. I mean, this is usually when hubris starts taking over.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Castlevania comes out Friday too. Friends From College can wait its drat turn.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Oh speaking of Netflix, I should really get on Dear White People. I want that poo poo renewed.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think it already got renewed! But yeah you should watch it it was a cool show

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The trailer makes that College show look like one of those 80 minute direct to VOD movies.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Escobarbarian posted:

I think it already got renewed! But yeah you should watch it it was a cool show

Just last week, actually.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

GreenNight posted:

Castlevania comes out Friday too. Friends From College can wait its drat turn.

The latter isn't even coming out until next week.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
In an effort to make them look unreasonable and greedy, CBS announced that they offered Daniel Dae Kim and Grace Park "significant" pay increases to stay on HAWAII FIVE-O. Which means that CBS also revealed they were significantly underpaying them.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
FX gets the rights to a vietnam war miniseries directed by Micheal Mann and written by the author of Black Hawk Down... drat, this could be real good.

http://deadline.com/2017/07/mark-bowden-hue-1968-fx-tet-offensive-limited-series-michael-mann-michael-de-luca-1202124098/

quote:

In a competitive situation, FX has landed the rights to turn the Mark Bowden bestseller Hue 1968 into a limited event series that will span eight-10 hours. Michael Mann and Michael De Luca will creatively quarterback the adaptation of Bowden’s kaleidoscopic account of the bloody siege that became the turning point of American involvement in the Vietnam War. Mann plans to direct multiple installments of the series, including the opener, and he will produce alongside De Luca and FX Productions. The hope is to be shooting by year’s end in Asia. The book was just published to critical acclaim by Grove Atlantic.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
is the book Black Hawk Down is based on less gross and revisionist than the movie?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Snak posted:

is the book Black Hawk Down is based on less gross and revisionist than the movie?

I mean it's more detailed and ultimately more nuanced, but I don't remember exactly what is 'revisionist' in the movie.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

DrVenkman posted:

I mean it's more detailed and ultimately more nuanced, but I don't remember exactly what is 'revisionist' in the movie.

IIRC the Indian UN troops were actually heavily involved in the battle rather than how the movie shows them as just kind of sitting around until the very end.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

IRQ posted:

IIRC the Indian UN troops were actually heavily involved in the battle rather than how the movie shows them as just kind of sitting around until the very end.

To be fair I saw it on release and not caught it since so I don't remember a lot. I know that technically it's supposed to be supremely accurate (Not surprising from Scott) but it does neglect to mention that the Somali's saw the battle as a heroic victory for them, as shortly after the US withdrew from Somalia. I mean, Bin Laden even cited the battle as proof that Muslim people can overthrow American aggression.

This is actually a pretty good summation of the movie: http://www.smh-hq.org/gazette/blackhawkdown.html

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

My takeaway was that American elite soldiers are elite as hell, but all the people in higher up positions are fuckups and that the whole thing is a farce.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Josh Lyman posted:

I've said it before and I say it again: The Rock is not a star. He is a false god.

I feel like The Rock is in line to be the next Reagan. He's, a Republican, semi-competent actor, who's going to use his low tier wit and charm to lead us into WWIII all because he think's he's Black Adam.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

-Blackadder- posted:

I feel like The Rock is in line to be the next Reagan. He's, a Republican, semi-competent actor, who's going to use his low tier wit and charm to lead us into WWIII all because he think's he's Black Adam.

10/10 would vote for.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well thank you for officially increasing my political anxiety.

President Rock. gently caress everything. That's believable.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Please don't talk about the People's President like that.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

STAC Goat posted:

Well thank you for officially increasing my political anxiety.

President Rock. gently caress everything. That's believable.

Oh like we'll even survive Trump anyway.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

lol

https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/6/15923722/tv-network-ratings-nielsen-viewership

Over the Friday of Memorial Day weekend, for example, NBC aired NBC Nitely News instead of its usual NBC Nightly News so the holiday drop in viewership didn’t affect its ratings standing. Nielsen’s automated system counted that misspelled show as an entirely different program. By doing this, NBC managed to actually gain ratings against its main competitor: ABC World News Tonight.

NBC apparently misspelled its shows 14 times since the start of the 2016 to 2017 TV season, and it’s not the only network to pull this tactic. This season, ABC did so seven times with its Wrld New Tonite, while CBS replaced The CBS Evening News with CBS Evening Nws 12 times. Clearly, this method isn’t much of a secret, although The Wall Street Journal points out that advertisers are catching on and are fed up with paying more for potentially disingenuous viewership counts.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
lol how is that not literally fraud that they can prosecuted for.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mu Zeta posted:

lol

https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/6/15923722/tv-network-ratings-nielsen-viewership

Over the Friday of Memorial Day weekend, for example, NBC aired NBC Nitely News instead of its usual NBC Nightly News so the holiday drop in viewership didn’t affect its ratings standing. Nielsen’s automated system counted that misspelled show as an entirely different program. By doing this, NBC managed to actually gain ratings against its main competitor: ABC World News Tonight.

NBC apparently misspelled its shows 14 times since the start of the 2016 to 2017 TV season, and it’s not the only network to pull this tactic. This season, ABC did so seven times with its Wrld New Tonite, while CBS replaced The CBS Evening News with CBS Evening Nws 12 times. Clearly, this method isn’t much of a secret, although The Wall Street Journal points out that advertisers are catching on and are fed up with paying more for potentially disingenuous viewership counts.

I'd probably watch the CBS Evening :nws:

Iron Crowned fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 6, 2017

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Snak posted:

Apu in IT is working on his English

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Iron Crowned posted:

I'd probably watch the CBS Evening :nws:

Same.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Snak posted:

It seems crazy, but precedent shows that the "Pobody's Nerfect" defense will stand up in a court of law.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Is gaming Nielson ratings really something to prosecute over?

I mean, I guess it means different ad rates or whatever but like in the grand scheme of things getting mad at a news show for loving with its ratings seems like getting mad your roommate left the milk out while the apartment is on fire.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

JethroMcB posted:

It seems crazy, but precedent shows that the "Pobody's Nerfect" defense will stand up in a court of law.

Okay, but they are willfully misrepresenting data for profit. To commit fraud.

Like, if I "accidentally" file my taxes wrong in a consistent manner that gets me more money, it's fraud.

edit: ^It's just another example of giant corporations cheating the system with no consequences.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

JethroMcB posted:

Not only that, it won't add any 'bad' ratings to the "Nobody's Perfect" defence.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think all the networks have been doing that with news programs for years and years. The only reason people are noticing now is because a portion of the general public actually look at ratings for shows.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Is that Snowfall show good? I wouldn't have bothered if it was a Netflix jaunt, but seeing that it's on FX I might give it a shot.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

FX is completely reshooting and (at least partially) recasting their Sons on Anarchy spinoff, Mayans MC

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Chris James 2 posted:

FX is completely reshooting and (at least partially) recasting their Sons on Anarchy spinoff, Mayans MC

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha nice. Can't wait for that thread.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That's still happening?

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

Looten Plunder posted:

Is that Snowfall show good? I wouldn't have bothered if it was a Netflix jaunt, but seeing that it's on FX I might give it a shot.

It was my favorite pilot that I have seen in a long time. The main character is fantastic, and I am looking forward to watching the side narratives tie in together.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Chris James 2 posted:

Apparently they did that with the original pilot of Sons of Anarchy as well.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Snak posted:

That's still happening?

I'd say this is a bad sign and it should be scrapped entirely

but uhhhhh after the SoA finale AND Bastard Executioner, there can't really be worse signs

For people with archives: highly recommend the thread for the last SoA season. Still one of my fav threads

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Bastard Executioner 2.0

I hope he writes another smug as gently caress letter after it's cancelled about how people just couldn't handle his vision

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

muscles like this! posted:

Apparently they did that with the original pilot of Sons of Anarchy as well.

Not only did they do that, but part of doing that involved replacing some actor from an article I can't remember with Ron Perlman. So it can definitely be to the show's benefit.

God I hope we don't start off season one with half the season being 2 hour (without commercials) episodes each like the last seasons of SoA.

Chris James 2 posted:

For people with archives: highly recommend the thread for the last SoA season. Still one of my fav threads

SoA was a show that I never regret watching a single episode. It was either good, laughable, or so bad that you just couldn't process it. One of my favorite moments of the show is still in season 3 or 4 with Potter watching the Sons, ready to make a giant bust and a black SUV pulls up. My friend and I were ranked and just laughed saying "man, what if ... what if Danny Trejo just busted out of that SUV and revealed he was a double agent he whole time". And when that actually loving happened, we just had to pause and laugh for a solid few minutes.

Cael fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

History Channel continues to be completely morally bankrupt with a new series called "American Ripper." They are funding a guy who claims that H H Holmes was actually Jack the Ripper. For some reason they seem to be making a big deal out of the fact that he might not actually be buried in his grave and that this somehow means he was Jack the Ripper. Even though the Ripper killings took place in 1888 and Holmes was executed in 1896

• Locked thread