Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Not that I follow them really close, though they were going to have a separate assembly line (maybe multiple) for that model. They had bought an absolutely massive facility, so they have plenty of room to expand as needed. I would also think the more expensive models have less demand for such an fast output, so don't look at their current output for projecting what they can do with the cheaper model. This will be the model that sets the bar for how many they can produce a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Almost time to say i was wrong.

I didn't think they'd get any out the door this year outside of a few cars slapped together just to say they shipped some.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

borkencode posted:

To the uninitiated that seems like quite the production ramp. They're at something like 25,000 S+X per quarter now, right? Does anyone know how the expected ramp for the 3 compares to other models from the major manufacturers?

It's a fairly resonable ramp up - I thought it would be faster personally as that's complete achievable with the facilities they bought (the site they bought was an ex car factory already) and they have gone out of their way with the Model 3 to make it as simple to produce as possible (hence minimal options to start) and they also were smart and hired a lot of guys and gals with actual big number production line knowledge. Musk acknowledges the Model X was a fuckup on release due to complexity and also no real knowledge how to expand production at the time.

The big challenge would have been battery production. Tesla have already solved that one with the Gigafactory.

Plus despite what some dickheads have said (not anyone recently in this thread, I'm more thinking about a few idiots elsewhere), Tesla have a history of delivering on their promises.... usually a year late, but they deliver. So this time around, it's pretty clear Tesla have sat down and addressed what would prevent them delivering somewhere close to on time.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

rhombus posted:

What's your current range at a full charge now?

It says 55 miles when I start it up.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
NUMMI was roughly a half million unit per year facility when it was running full bore. However, that was on a limited number of models and with a less vertically integrated manufacturing site, so figure that the Tesla cap at site is probably lower than that.

Traditional OEM ramp up is a lot quicker than that but they have more practice so I'm not too surprised. Supply chain is always the problem, not actually screwing cars together.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Yeah the 500,000 per year production assumed you had two capable giant manufacturers bringing in just in time parts daily combined with all the sub contractors warehousing parts locally for fast shipment to the plant. I am pretty sure Tesla outsources a lot of parts though. I doubt they have a dedicated digital clock factory like Toyota though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Tesla uses a common industry 3PL for sequencing and metering so that shouldn't be a bottleneck.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Elephanthead posted:

Yeah the 500,000 per year production assumed you had two capable giant manufacturers bringing in just in time parts daily combined with all the sub contractors warehousing parts locally for fast shipment to the plant. I am pretty sure Tesla outsources a lot of parts though. I doubt they have a dedicated digital clock factory like Toyota though.

Lol one capable giant manufacturer. Toyota barred GM from using union workers at the NUMMI line because they had a habit of drinking on Fridays and other performance resulting from laziness.

Tesla will be fine buddy.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Hmm. Extraordinarily privileged 1%er believes union blue-collar workers are lazy drunks. No surprise there.

Punishment: death by guillotine.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The UAW says that GM Fremont was one of the worst locals they had and indeed that absenteeism, drinking and drug abuse were rampant.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Sagebrush posted:

Hmm. Extraordinarily privileged 1%er believes union blue-collar workers are lazy drunks. No surprise there.

Punishment: death by guillotine.

Hmmmmm.....

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The UAW says that GM Fremont was one of the worst locals they had and indeed that absenteeism, drinking and drug abuse were rampant.

Privileged huh? I am sorry for monetizing my brain and making a decent pay for it. You can to! Think of problems you experience and then try to find a technical means or solution for it.

Voila! You too can be called privileged on an Internet forum now to.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

The Sicilian posted:

Lol one capable giant manufacturer. Toyota barred GM from using union workers at the NUMMI line because they had a habit of drinking on Fridays and other performance resulting from laziness.

Tesla will be fine buddy.

I am just saying no way then get close to 500k year production out of that plant. It is ok you can still crank out out to Elons sexy body.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Sicilian posted:

Hmmmmm.....

Privileged huh? I am sorry for monetizing my brain and making a decent pay for it. You can to! Think of problems you experience and then try to find a technical means or solution for it.

Too and to are two different words godamnit.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Why don't they just make cars in the bay area where the locals are unanimously in the top 10 or even 5% of intelligence instead of lazy alcoholic southerners

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

hifi posted:

Why don't they just make cars in the bay area where the locals are unanimously in the top 10 or even 5% of intelligence instead of lazy alcoholic southerners

Because they're tired of paying Bay Area money, and are shipping employees to NV by the thousands.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

The Sicilian posted:

Eh? The UAW represented NUMMI workers. And even then many of the hires had worked there when it was solely a GM plant.

Check this out:
https://m.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/561/transcript

It's an interesting piece of history... and goes to show just how atrociously managed US car companies had gotten by the 80s.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

The Sicilian posted:

Hmmmmm.....

Sicilian, turn on your PMs :(

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Michael Scott posted:

Looks like he can't afford Platinum. :smug:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Elephanthead posted:

I am just saying no way then get close to 500k year production out of that plant. It is ok you can still crank out out to Elons sexy body.

The constraint isn't the plant, it's the broader supply chain.

Michael Scott posted:

you are such a thirsty little mother fucker, good God.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

In addition to this, they just announced that from 2019 they will no longer make any ICE-only cars, every model will be an EV or hybrid.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Collateral Damage posted:

In addition to this, they just announced that from 2019 they will no longer make any ICE-only cars, every model will be an EV or hybrid.

Although some of those will just be 48v mild hybrids.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you are such a thirsty little mother fucker, good God.

Remember when he begged to drive someone's car they left in Chicago while they were out of town?

Good times.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Remember when he begged to drive someone's car they left in Chicago while they were out of town?

Good times.

same dude, I'm pretty sure

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Yep that was Sicilian. It was a Macan.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe
Remember that time that guy came to AI with a bevy of amazing cars and was chased out by dumb poo poo like this? I do.

Let's talk about electric vehicles and their future. Or we can just make generalizations and keep this bullshit fest up.

Also lol on paying this old, gay, dead forum for platinum, are you serious?

Mang Tomas
Jan 9, 2007
Anyone here owns a 2014 BMW I3? Thinking of buying a used one with the range extender for about ~$20k but not too sure about its reliability. Lovey interior though.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

blugu64 posted:

Seems like us EV owners already got a ton of breaks and should be fine paying our fair share.

That's the whole point, if you actually read the posts here. The Indiana tax is far more expensive than the total amount of gas taxes paid by an efficient car going over 20k miles per year, and it all goes to the state, instead of also helping the feds. If it were about paying the fair share, I'd be OK with that. I'm also OK with everyone paying far more.

I'm guessing the people that have a problem with a $150/yr tax are more likely to drive off-lease Leafs than Teslas.

call to action fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jul 6, 2017

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

So even though it's fair that EVs pay taxes, it stinks of punitive pricing where the good old boys want to make sure the hippie homobiles get beaten down.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Ola posted:

So even though it's fair that EVs pay taxes, it stinks of punitive pricing where the good old boys want to make sure the hippie homobiles get beaten down.

Well yeah I mean it's Indiana.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

call to action posted:

That's the whole point, if you actually read the posts here. The Indiana tax is far more expensive than the total amount of gas taxes paid by an efficient car going over 20k miles per year, and it all goes to the state, instead of also helping the feds. If it were about paying the fair share, I'd be OK with that. I'm also OK with everyone paying far more.

I'm guessing the people that have a problem with a $150/yr tax are more likely to drive off-lease Leafs than Teslas.

It's interesting in states like California where they have charged an additional registration fee, but also give a no strings attached payment of $400 to EV owners in OC with Southern California Edison as their electric provider.

We seem to have one hand doing something and the other doing the opposite.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Christ, I hate Americans sometimes. A coworker that took an interest in Tesla EVs (and after seeing the Zero wanted to talk to me about it) was indignant upon learning the base Model 3 has a range of 215 miles. She said that EVs are worthless if they can't do her week-long commute without charging.

When I suggested that, like a cellphone, you can change it at home nightly, she responded "why the hell would I want to do that? What if I forget?" and "Why do you want to convince me these things can work when I know they'll never work for me?" We even delved into the whole stupid "what if I spontaneously need to drive to {destination > 200 miles away}? I can't just rent a car!" argument, complete with her admitting that the need has never happened before, but what if?

This is a well-studied biochemist in the US, not exactly an F-550-driving Bubba with a hatred of "homo cars", but her striking ignorance is a solid reason why we should all start developing a taste for cockroach because global warming will be making that our main food source soon. 'Murcians gonna 'Murcia, heil petrol. :smith:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Tell her that the average american's commute is 40 miles per day, so she just lives unusually far from work and it's her own fault.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Why do you think her nationality is responsible for her entrenching in opinions when challenged, and moving goalposts?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

How is "you don't need to go to the gas station once a week" not a benefit? I'd love to just plug in at home every night and not have to make a pitstop on the way home for gas.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thanks for the reminder to put my car in trip mode and charge it, though!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Does she really like buying gas or what

E: f;b

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

Why do you think her nationality is responsible for her entrenching in opinions when challenged, and moving goalposts?

I'm an American, and folks I've met from overseas seem to be more willing to entertain the thought of EVs, or at least solid public transit. Anecdote not being evidence is absolutely true here, so yeah it's dumb for me to assume. I just notice it's the folks that are born and raised here that tend to believe that if a new solution isn't perfect off the bat, it shouldn't be considered at all. Look at the whining about public transit, health care, green energy and countless other stupid things for some real-world examples. After all, "Make America Great Again" and the idea of taking us back to a "simpler" time that never existed isn't just a slogan, it's a mantra for a gently caress-ton of folks.

IOwnCalculus posted:

How is "you don't need to go to the gas station once a week" not a benefit? I'd love to just plug in at home every night and not have to make a pitstop on the way home for gas.

I plug my stupid goddamn motorcycle in at night and I don't give a flying gently caress about gas prices, filling up, whatever, and its great. I wake up and it's ready to go, it's convenient. This is like arguing that smartphones suck because their charges last 1/4 the time of an old-school Nokia while completely ignoring the fact that an iPhone can buy/sell stocks then play a loving movie afterward.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Ola posted:

In New Zealand EVs are currently exempt from paying road user charges (which is a per KM charge non petrol vehicles normally pay instead of being taxed on the fuel itself) until they make up 2% of the fleet.

It's going to be really interesting to see what happens once that threshold is reached.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Americans are really goddamned stupid about transportation. See also: feeling entitled to free on-street parking and raging at bicyclists who actually represent one less car snarling traffic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Loucks posted:

Americans are really goddamned stupid

Edit: Seriously, if I was her boss having that conversation with her, I'd seriously consider a different employee, since her critical thinking skills are so poor.

• Locked thread