Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/SamWangPhD/status/882763486450917376
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/882723557566013441

hooonk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

call to action posted:

Actually there are two posts on the very last page that basically say "at least if Trump weren't president, the world would respect us". So I gotta ask, why Mike Piss 2018?

edit: like this bullshit

That's a spectacularly poor reading of what I said.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
Trump being removed from office would almost be worth it alone for the 3 day mimimum tweet rant that'd follow.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Pence does not have the same cult of personality surrounding him as Trump does which alone would be an upgrade especially now that the media does things like "say that true things are true and false things are false".

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

It would be amazing if this ended up being the thing that mattered. But nothing matters.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I think being massively unpopular will matter.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Sinteres posted:

That's a spectacularly poor reading of what I said.

He's a terrible poster/troll who got all mad that people called out Tulsi Gabbard for being a bad dem in the bad dems thread.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Invalid Validation posted:

Hmmm

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Invalid Validation posted:

Depends on how successful their voter suppression efforts/Russia's next hacking of state's election machinery/databases is/are.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I'm not sure it can really be taken for granted that Mike Pence would be even vaguely competent if he were to assume power. He can at least wear a suit and shut his mouth, but signing on as Trump's running mate was considered a forward move for one's political career.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Pence doesn't have to be competent or smart to be disastrous; the last thing the country needs is more political cover for the "sane" Republicans from the media. "Oh phew, Trump's gone and now someone who isn't a blithering foaming psycho isn't President! Thank God Pence is there to rubber stamp whatever Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell want."

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Mike pence doesn't mean the HFC all of a sudden goes along with everything. The ideological divide within the party is real.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Voyager I posted:

He can at least wear a suit and shut his mouth

That would be enough. Fortunately Trump is incapable of even that low standard.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

nachos posted:

Mike pence doesn't mean the HFC all of a sudden goes along with everything. The ideological divide within the party is real.

No, but they certainly will go along with slashing budgets and regulations with wild abandon. I'm not saying Pence would be necessarily worse than Trump, but he provides his own set of challenges and dangers.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

https://twitter.com/APEastRegion/status/883042202406060034

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

ThePeavstenator posted:

Pence does not have the same cult of personality surrounding him as Trump does which alone would be an upgrade especially now that the media does things like "say that true things are true and false things are false".

The bulk of the media is dying for an opportunity to seem balanced and to praise republicans. The first day Pence is president so many pundits will call him presidential at the same time that the word will reverberate throughout the entire globe.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

lmao "everything wrong with society is that the public has a conduit for news"

Not even trying to hide the game now

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Big gay transperson here, I'd rather the monstrous shitpile that is Pence quietly take the seat and ride out a year or two, because it would unquestionably result in a weaker right wing.

Cheeto golem's cult of personality is literally the sole pillar truly holding up the administration right now, they'd fall the hell apart even harder with him as mind boggling as that is to consider.

Also because Pence is already a brand of conservative we've long since gotten to know and are slowly winning out against anyway, straight up "JESUS IS LORD" conservatives are and have been falling out of style faster and faster as we go, while cheeto benito's empowered a whole new run of extra special useful idiots to their side.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 6, 2017

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
There are zero possible paths to a mike pence presidency before 2020 that do not include the GOP helping to impeach/25th amendment trump out. That will necessarily create a GOP civil war.

Mike pence as president with a hopelessly fractured GOP is obviously preferable to the status quo.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Voyager I posted:

I'm not sure it can really be taken for granted that Mike Pence would be even vaguely competent if he were to assume power. He can at least wear a suit and shut his mouth, but signing on as Trump's running mate was considered a forward move for one's political career.

Pence is only the VP because the first campaign manager faked airplane repairs so Donnie's nano second attention span with forget he wanted to ask the NJ Fatass to be veep.

That empty suit probably only said yes because a Koch proxy up his rear end said "Yeah might as well, whatcouldgowrong?"

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

I wonder how many people retweeted this to Trump?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

JeffersonClay posted:

There are zero possible paths to a mike pence presidency before 2020 that do not include the GOP helping to impeach/25th amendment trump out. That will necessarily create a GOP civil war.

Mike pence as president with a hopelessly fractured GOP is obviously preferable to the status quo.
Yes, Pence would be a lame duck if Trump quit/was removed. Mainly because he is a homophobic cyborg of a person who is extremely unpopular in his own home state

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Pence also wouldn't be relentlessly attacking our institutions in the same ways that Trump has. I don't think the fake news genie is going back in the bottle entirely, but if Trump went down to scandal, Pence would want to establish his bona fides as a responsible politician and would be far less likely to incite violence and act in a nakedly authoritarian way. I can see why some of the accelerationists in this thread might find that disappointing, but for those of us who would prefer not to see roving political death squads stalking the land, Pence would be a politician with a lot of lovely positions who'd nonetheless take us away from some of the more dramatic potential risks of a Trump presidency.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

joepinetree posted:

The bulk of the media is dying for an opportunity to seem balanced and to praise republicans. The first day Pence is president so many pundits will call him presidential at the same time that the word will reverberate throughout the entire globe.

Exactly. It creates a much more long-term problem: greater normalization of cutting budgets, dishing out tax cuts to the rich, slashing regulations, and all the other things about which there isn't actually a divide in the Republican Party.

That's not to say that this is necessarily worse than Trump remaining in power, but it's a closer, murkier call than folks seem to realize.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Pence seems less likely to launch nuclear warheads at CNN in an Alzheimer's rage

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Sinteres posted:

Pence also wouldn't be relentlessly attacking our institutions in the same ways that Trump has. I don't think the fake news genie is going back in the bottle entirely, but if Trump went down to scandal, Pence would want to establish his bona fides as a responsible politician and would be far less likely to incite violence and act in a nakedly authoritarian way. I can see why some of the accelerationists in this thread might find that disappointing, but for those of us who would prefer not to see roving political death squads stalking the land, Pence would be a politician with a lot of lovely positions who'd nonetheless take us away from some of the more dramatic potential risks of a Trump presidency.

I would like the media to stay on the attack throughout his presidency though. Trump's run has finally unmasked a lot of stuff that has been running in subtext for a while, now that there is a precedence hopefully they can keep dragging things out of the double-talk.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

JeffersonClay posted:

you mean apart from the obvious path, the reason there's a vp in the first place, right?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Majorian posted:

Exactly. It creates a much more long-term problem: greater normalization of cutting budgets, dishing out tax cuts to the rich, slashing regulations, and all the other things about which there isn't actually a divide in the Republican Party.

That's not to say that this is necessarily worse than Trump remaining in power, but it's a closer, murkier call than folks seem to realize.
I agree that it's a problem but there are only the two options of A) Trump stays in the full 4 years or B) Pence/some other Republican takes over when Trump leaves.

We have already seen, as it has been mentioned before, that the GOP is on the verge of civil war between the HFC types and the Ryanites. This is not going to change. They put off a lot of these issues because Obama was in the WH and they could unite around just opposing whatever he did.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Hobo Clown posted:

Pence seems less likely to launch nuclear warheads at CNN in an Alzheimer's rage

But a lot more likely to successfully kill MedicAid/MediCare, funnel enormous amounts of money to the top 1% in tax cuts, overturn marriage equality and get two more Supreme Court seats filled.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I don't like christmas either.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

BGrifter posted:

But a lot more likely to successfully kill MedicAid/MediCare, funnel enormous amounts of money to the top 1% in tax cuts, overturn marriage equality and get two more Supreme Court seats filled.

How are the likelihood of those things at all different under Pence than Trump?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Majorian posted:

He's a terrible poster/troll who got all mad that people called out Tulsi Gabbard for being a bad dem in the bad dems thread.

Was this when Tulsi went to Syria to cheerlead for Assad's methods of governance or whatever?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

mango sentinel posted:

They're not, he'd almost immediately be even less popular (In actual like, on the person popularity sense) because the most massive part of the frogman demographic wouldn't be there propping them up and playing PR for them constantly. He'd just be some christofascist stooge nobody has any enthusiasm for and who'd get rebuffed even harder when they try to do repugnant things because again, they'd have already lost out on a massive degree of their spin machine.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

PhazonLink posted:

Pence is only the VP because the first campaign manager faked airplane repairs so Donnie's nano second attention span with forget he wanted to ask the NJ Fatass to be veep.

That empty suit probably only said yes because a Koch proxy up his rear end said "Yeah might as well, whatcouldgowrong?"

What I was trying to say is that effective politicians with viable careers weren't joining Trump's campaign because it was a trainwreck and nobody imagined there was any chance he could win. People who were willing to sign on with him were lovely politicians with no future and if Mike Pence ever actually has to do anything we may find out why that was the case.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Plus the Right would lose out on their favorite smoke and mirrors game, where Trump does something truly idiotic to distract everyone from the really lovely bills they are trying to sneak in.

I expect that Trump is probably going to stab a guy the morning of the healthcare vote.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Completely ignoring the fact that the press basically made freedom possible, because rich assholes who control everything tend to want to screw over poor people and hide the fact that they did it.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

mango sentinel posted:

Trump keeps putting his foot in his mouth, stirring up public opposition and sabotaging the House/Senate. Pence would sit on his hands, say nothing and let them do their worst.

Pence would basically be Grover Norquist's President with "enough working digits to handle a pen". Trump somehow manages to even fail to meet that incredibly low standard.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The maga chuds will never bend the knee to Pence. There is only one God Emperor.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Drifter posted:

Was this when Tulsi went to Syria to cheerlead for Assad's methods of governance or whatever?

It was six hours ago.

There are a handful of exceptionally stupid/malicious "leftists" (in fact call to action is a full-on "kill the browns" isolationist and the other two were Trump voters) who cling rabidly to Gabbard for reasons unknown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

awesmoe posted:

you mean apart from the obvious path, the reason there's a vp in the first place, right?

Yes, Trump the (non-figurative) martyr would be terrible news.

Hoping trump will die is dumb. Hoping the GOP is forced to remove him and destroy themselves in the process is smart.

JeffersonClay fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 6, 2017

• Locked thread