Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Ehud posted:

It is hilarious that it's another dive character lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Wow this update came out of nowhere for me.

Doomfist is cool and good and my friend.

Also neat new POTG recording features, finally!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Donnerberg posted:

Fair enough. I thought the problems with unlimited were worth it for the freedom of choice and how wacky things could get, but I'm in the minority.

If Blizzard's goal is to make things fun for the "Joes" as it was put earlier than ditching no limits was inevitable because people were already getting real tired of 3x D.Vs or double Zarya or double Winston or five Torb + Symmetra defense games or having 2.5 Widowmakers on their team every game. Even quickplay-only folks thought no limits was annoying and bad and reddit and bnet were full of posts from people asking for hero limits to be implemented in quickplay.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ehud posted:

blizzard are insanely slow at patching the game. every time they release one for a hero, it's addressing something from like 3 months ago

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Donnerberg posted:

Fair enough. I thought the problems with unlimited were worth it for the freedom of choice and how wacky things could get, but I'm in the minority.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrCNoZcWJNc

No limits was stupid and lovely. Most egregiously it basically limited blizzard in tuning heroes because you could have multiples. Imagine this poo poo with 5 of the current D.Va

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Ehud posted:

it's also hilarious how there's absolutely 0% reason to ever play reaper anymore

doomfist is reaper except his heal-on-damage overheals him, he has an ability that can oneshot anyone who is not a tank given the right positioning, and he has insane mobility

and a much better ult which makes him immune to damage for a bit and does AoE damage like reaper's except it does it all at once

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

IronicDongz posted:

it's also hilarious how there's absolutely 0% reason to ever play reaper anymore

doomfist is reaper except his heal-on-damage overheals him, he has an ability that can oneshot anyone who is not a tank given the right positioning, and he has insane mobility

and a much better ult which makes him immune to damage for a bit and does AoE damage like reaper's except it does it all at once

Plus it goes through buildings!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

there's exactly one reason to play reaper over doomfist: sombra

admittedly not a common concern but sombra dunks on doomfist insanely hard (apparently he can't even shoot while hacked?), whereas hacking a reaper is pointless. so if you're walled out of anubis b or something by sombra, reaper is a legit good choice in general

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I just watched Seagull on the Ilios map where the point is in the little lighthouse. He ulted from outside the building and then dropped down into the building to kill their entire team and get POTG.

That might be a little excessive.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Manatee Cannon posted:

admittedly not a common concern but sombra dunks on doomfist insanely hard (apparently he can't even shoot while hacked?), whereas hacking a reaper is pointless. so if you're walled out of anubis b or something by sombra, reaper is a legit good choice in general
I saw someone streaming doomfist get EMP'd and they could still shoot

at any rate hacked doomfist isn't much worse than hacked reaper. sombra brings him down closer to reaper's level but it's not as if he'll be hacked all the time, I can't imagine when it would be worth it to run reaper over doomfist, sombra or no sombra

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 6, 2017

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

Oh cool, the one class that only the 1% Elite can play effectively will stop motherfucking Kobe 'Doomfist' Bryant from dunking your rear end into the cement.

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun

Daric posted:

I just watched Seagull on the Ilios map where the point is in the little lighthouse. He ulted from outside the building and then dropped down into the building to kill their entire team and get POTG.

That might be a little excessive.

I haven't tried yet, but Doomfist seems pretty overtuned right now. If his shotgun does the 70-80 damage it seems it does he has a pretty ridiculous amount of combo damage, even without weaving in technical stuff like melee cancelling. Compare to Genji who has 28x3+50+30 with shuriken dash melee cancel, Doomfist has 70+50+50+50+30 with shoot dash slam shoryuken melee.

Obviously I can't speak to reliability, but still. That's a lot of burst.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
you don't even need to hypothesize about lengthy combos, if you hit someone with a charged punch into a wall it will instantly kill any non-tank

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun

IronicDongz posted:

you don't even need to hypothesize about lengthy combos, if you hit someone with a charged punch into a wall it will instantly kill any non-tank

Lucio also has a ohko then. As long as you boop someone into a pit they instantly die.

Granted, there are many more walls than pits...

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

The knockback distance is actually fairly short so it's not gonna be that big of a deal

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

IronicDongz posted:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Bolow posted:

The knockback distance is actually fairly short so it's not gonna be that big of a deal

https://clips-media-assets.twitch.tv/25685254768-offset-2677.75-7.666666666666664.mp4#t=0

I'm pretty sure there's actually going to be plenty of times when it matters a whole lot

it has a lot of effective range and even if it doesn't knock someone into a wall it does what, 100 damage fully charged? and then you're right next to them with a shotgun

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun

Bolow posted:

Ilios Well seems like it would be a nightmare to try and play against Doomfist. In front of the well? Get booped in sucker. Behind the well? Get ohkoed by charge through barriers, sucker.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

How much damage does Doomfist's primary actually do? He seems quite different from Reaper who has basically endless ammo in his shotguns, Doomfist by comparison is much more bursty with a small clip and a heavy dependence on his cooldowns.

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun

Irony Be My Shield posted:

How much damage does Doomfist's primary actually do? He seems quite different from Reaper who has basically endless ammo in his shotguns, Doomfist by comparison is much more bursty with a small clip and a heavy dependence on his cooldowns.

The secret is that Doomfist isn't the reason to never pick Reaper. The reason to never pick Reaper is either Pharah, or alternatively because Reaper is garbage.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

The Blue Caboose posted:

Ilios Well seems like it would be a nightmare to try and play against Doomfist. In front of the well? Get booped in sucker. Behind the well? Get ohkoed by charge through barriers, sucker.

Yeah but all of the Illios maps besides Lighthouse are poo poo anyway. That's not something uniquely caused by Doomfist

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Irony Be My Shield posted:

meatshots seem to 2hko 200 HP heros in ideal circumstances, realistically it's usually gonna be like 3 shots if you're fairly close. a bit weaker than reaper's but definitely worth it for far, far superior mobility

WRT ammo, the thing is that doomfist automatically reloads one shot at a time fairly quickly whenever he is doing anything else besides shooting. you do like one or two abilities and you are reloaded without ever having to stop attacking.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I will continue to play Gabriel Reyes, the Reaper, even in this age of Doomfist.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

1 hero limit was the best change they ever made to Overwatch. If you think the meta is stale because of it, you obviously don't remember the days of 2 Tracers, 2 Winstons and 2 Lucios per team on any control point map, or when you only got to win a 2 CP match after you managed to wipe 5 D.Va's and a Lucio simultaneously.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

meatshots seem to 2hko 200 HP heros in ideal circumstances, realistically it's usually gonna be like 3 shots if you're fairly close. a bit weaker than reaper's but definitely worth it for far, far superior mobility

WRT ammo, the thing is that doomfist automatically reloads one shot at a time fairly quickly whenever he is doing anything else besides shooting. you do like one or two abilities and you are reloaded without ever having to stop attacking.

Yeah it seems like you can walk up to someone, unload all 4 shots then if you didn't kill them knock them around with your abilities and by the time you do it you've got more shots to go.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

The Blue Caboose posted:

The secret is that Doomfist isn't the reason to never pick Reaper. The reason to never pick Reaper is either Pharah, or alternatively because Reaper is garbage.

I hope punching a pharah into a wall in the sky is an achievement.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Also I want to emphasize: the knockback is not "fairly short". watch how far back away from the wall he is when he hits pharah in this clip and still gets a kill:
https://clips-media-assets.twitch.tv/25685254768-offset-3447.1666666666665-13.750000000000004.mp4#t=0

That's a pretty hefty distance!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

I saw someone streaming doomfist get EMP'd and they could still shoot

at any rate hacked doomfist isn't much worse than hacked reaper. sombra brings him down closer to reaper's level but it's not as if he'll be hacked all the time, I can't imagine when it would be worth it to run reaper over doomfist, sombra or no sombra

the shooting thing was just what I heard so I'm glad to have confirmation that it isn't true since that'd be stupid

hacked doomfist is massively worse than reaper tho, let's be real now. reaper has more shots, gets health back by dealing damage, and I'm pretty sure his damage is better as well. this is a really niche scenario, yea, but it is one that's in reaper's favor

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I guess, but I would much rather be a doomfist who sometimes doesn't have mobility because he's hacked than a reaper who always doesn't have mobility because he's reaper

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

sombra will have ult every fight so it's not just sometimes

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Hey it could be worse

You could be Reinhardt in the Doomfist meta

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

You will have to pry my infinite shotguns from my cold, dead hands. Reaper4ever.

wit
Jul 26, 2011
Orisa and her halt + doomfist seem to be emerging as one of those effortless synergies that even pubbies will naturally do.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

wit posted:

Orisa and her halt + doomfist seem to be emerging as one of those effortless synergies that even pubbies will naturally do.

Halt, charge punch, dive on them with ground slam then uppercut shotgun combo.

made to be worst of enemies, turn out to be best of friends. a friendship story.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

wit posted:

Doubt it; Halt plus Hook accomplished essentialy the same thing pre-patch and I only ever knew one Hog that played with it effectively.

Maple Leaf fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 6, 2017

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
So that Doomfist trailer was absolutely a sneak pitch for an animated Overwatch series right?

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Semper Fudge posted:

So that Doomfist trailer was absolutely a sneak pitch for an animated Overwatch series right?

Time to cyberstalk the animation studio and find out.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Tvique is streaming scrims with Doomfist

https://www.twitch.tv/tvique

He's adequate I guess?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Doomfist looks incredibly fun, at the very least incredibly fun to watch. He's a kind of viscerally satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z999vmktIU

:eyepop: