Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Yes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Fez's 6 twitter posts are all very good.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
https://twitter.com/carlruiz/status/883013105512579072

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

And nothing of value was lost

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
I find it hard to believe people enjoy Opie's show on a literal level and buy Jazz it up and Yeahhhhh merchandise

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Hahahahaha the best part of that is his last tweet was from 2009.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Is that really Fez?

Can he now tell us if his insanity was Opie trying to get rid of him?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

So what station does Opie end up GMing at after his inevitable podcast fails

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I've been following that stupid Fez Whatley Twitter account since they first talked about it on the show 8 years ago. Wow.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

Sankis posted:

103.7 KROK FM, Spinnin' Todays Top Hits!

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Sankis posted:

He tweeted last week he wants to create podcast network.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I hope he becomes Chunky's intern

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

He tweeted last week he wants to create podcast network.

We're never going to hear from him again. He's going to sit around, get fat, and enjoy being a jerkass resturanteur until he gets busted sexually harassing someone.

He doesn't have the people skills to get employees. I bet at this point E-Rock has blocked his number. He's completely alienated himself.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Sankis posted:

I would listen to the Gregg Hughes and Todd Pettengill show and so would ya'll.

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
My dreams have come true; Dr. Steve on my morning commute talking about weird dick problems.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

He doesn't have the people skills to get employees. I bet at this point E-Rock has blocked his number. He's completely alienated himself.

He still has an audience (not huge, but has something) and seems to be able to lure less popular comics. I'm sure his ego is also thriving from his Comedians of OpieRadio comedy tour that just happened.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Sankis posted:

If he wasn't the captain of hubris, Anthony would probably have him back

I'll let you decide which "he"

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

80s James Hetfield posted:

I would listen to the Gregg Hughes and Todd Pettengill show and so would ya'll.

"Hey there jerky, this is Fat-tits Mc Lackingtalent! I've been doing radio since I was 18 and just got fired from my last chance at relevance for taking photos of a Mexican taking a poo poo!

Ahhhhhhh-hom-dibba-dibba-dauh. Hom dibba dibba, dibba dauh dibba..................

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I never listened to O and A, but after picking up an insanely long commute I've been listening to Opie and really enjoyed it. I also unironically enjoy the chef Carl. I'm disappointed with the circumstances but I suppose I'm the only one.

I can't stand Norton's Show.

I've been listening to old O and A clips on YouTube. What was the best of that time? Was it Anthony and Patrice? Because I agree that was really good. I don't really get the Opie hate but maybe someone can help me better understand. Was he ever liked when him and Anthony were thing?

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
There was a time when Opie had no problems being "the destroyer", and he was really good at making people uncomfortable. It made for some really great cringe radio moments. At some point, perhaps around when XM merged into Sirius, he stopped playing that role and just became a board op since he couldn't keep up with the humor in the room otherwise. Maybe it was management, or family, or who knows, but it took away the one thing he was able to bring to the table.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

TheReverend posted:

I never listened to O and A, but after picking up an insanely long commute I've been listening to Opie and really enjoyed it. I also unironically enjoy the chef Carl.

Your opinion on anything radio or comedy related can be safely discarded, then.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
i used to not mind opie at all. i'd see people bashing him in the comments of youtube videos and wonder what those people's deal was.

after a while i'd become an opie apologist. i'd be one of those people who would say "yeah, sure, hes not that funny, but he steers the ship! the show would be a mess without him!"

the longer i listened the more i disliked him. my hatred for opie was like a tumor in my head that just grew and grew without end

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

He's incredibly insecure, thin skinned, and lies to fit in. Basically the worst type of person to hang with a group of comedians.

People would try to take the piss out of him and instead of running with it and having fun we have stuff like "I could have been a model".

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

TheReverend posted:

I don't really get the Opie hate but maybe someone can help me better understand. Was he ever liked when him and Anthony were thing?

There was 'Opie Sucks' chants at a Ron & Fez live event in 2002(?) when Anthony showed up during the height of their popularity.

NarkyBark posted:

There was a time when Opie had no problems being "the destroyer", and he was really good at making people uncomfortable. It made for some really great cringe radio moments. At some point, perhaps around when XM merged into Sirius, he stopped playing that role and just became a board op since he couldn't keep up with the humor in the room otherwise. Maybe it was management, or family, or who knows, but it took away the one thing he was able to bring to the table.

Sirius basically forced him to cut out all the shock jock 'destroyer' stunts. There was the hilarious moment where he fought the company to do Cherry Darts again and than called in sick the day of so Anthony was stuck trying to deal with that stupid bit.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

NarkyBark posted:

He wasn't really good at making people uncomfortable. He clumsily brought up inappropriate topics or threw things on the floor, both of which almost any idiot can do.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

TheReverend posted:

I never listened to O and A, but after picking up an insanely long commute I've been listening to Opie and really enjoyed it. I also unironically enjoy the chef Carl. I'm disappointed with the circumstances but I suppose I'm the only one.

I've been listening to old O and A clips on YouTube. What was the best of that time? Was it Anthony and Patrice? Because I agree that was really good. I don't really get the Opie hate but maybe someone can help me better understand. Was he ever liked when him and Anthony were thing?

lol, this is not a real post

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

When I first got into the show, I never really paid attention to Opie save for when he was directing: Moving onto other bits or stories and stuff. He never really bothered me until he started getting obsessed with "VIRAL VIDEOS" and trying to generate hype. Interrupt people, pull the brakes on the show's flow, fight back against the "haters". Soon his annoying nature became retroactively annoying, and I'd notice his HOLDONHOLDONs and his uncomfortable bombs from earlier shows, and I realized that he was always this much of a shitheel, I just didn't notice it while Norton & Friends were making me giggle. Opie has had the occasional one liner, and I think earlier on there was an energy when he cared more about making a good show for the day rather than try to build up to The Next Big Thing (Baby Bird, Mustard, We Are The World, etc).

:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I wonder if Sherod saying "i saw the video" was the nail in the coffin for opie since it went from he recorded Roland to he showed it to people.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Remember when they used to talk like whatever finally kills the show will be some massive apocalyptic shock jock stunt gone wrong.

Ant getting beat up by a girl, three years of passive aggressive drama, and Opie taking a picture of another man on the toilet.

Banditoh
Aug 13, 2005
Leave it alone

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.

TheReverend posted:

I refuse to believe that people like you exist.

I listened to 5 seconds of this clip and wanted to jab an ice pick into my ears just to make it stop:
https://youtu.be/UpBd9RpAdAY

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I mean.. I guess I could see someone being an OpieRadio fan of all they've ever heard is local fm poo poo, but wow.

Jim & Sam is lacking something for sure though. I can't listen to the same two idiots playing middle-of-the-road South Park politics for the first 90 minutes of the show every day. Wrestling/UFC talk only makes it worse.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I hate to state the obvious just because you don't like Norton's show, doesn't make Opie's show good

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I don't know how it got to this point but I've been finding Ellis more entertaining than those two shows. It's utterly juvenile and he's quite clueless about everything but at least they honestly seem to be having fun. I gave Covino&Rich an hour on two separate occasions and it was like white noise to me. I like DiPaulo as a guest but I think he still seems a bit stiff in the radio format.

ps. Your Mom's Box

NarkyBark fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 7, 2017

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

NarkyBark posted:

ps. Your Mom's Box

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

TheReverend posted:

I can't stand Norton's Show either, luckily Sam doesn't let him do it that often. Jim still purposely drags the show energy down on random occasions whenever he can get away with it but Sam is wise to it. If there's a guest, even a comic, that's usually enough to get him to loving cut it out. I think even Jim himself has gotten kind of bored with doing that but it's become a bad habit after doing it for so many months since Anthony got the boot. His constant need to put on the brakes as a "gag" was a very rare occasional experiment before then and I think it secretly drove Opie's OCD off the charts.

Opie's show had some moments before the meltdown, but in the weeks leading up to that it was mostly a bunch of guys just overselling how happy they were to be there. On the plus side, that often dragged things into an interesting tangent that Opie wouldn't normally allow, but on the minus side Opie was starting to get accustomed to the extreme energy level and getting to exercise his control freak side even during some of those parts.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

NarkyBark posted:

I don't know how it got to this point but I've been finding Ellis more entertaining than those two shows. It's utterly juvenile and he's quite clueless about everything but at least they honestly seem to be having fun. I gave Covino&Rich an hour on two separate occasions and it was like white noise to me. I like DiPaulo as a guest but I think he still seems a bit stiff in the radio format.

ps. Your Mom's Box
Covino and Rich is unlistenable to me. Like straight up triggers my Morning Zoo reflexes and I shut it off quickly every attempt. Nick DiPaolo can talk but he's been spending too much time taking calls from people saying how great he is and how amazing his guinea politics are so it's usually hard for me to stick with it. That sounds hypocritical after decades of Anthony but that greaseball was better at making his hate entertaining. Ellis is a fuckhead but he's extremely open about that and manages to mostly keep poo poo moving.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Morter posted:

When I first got into the show, I never really paid attention to Opie save for when he was directing: Moving onto other bits or stories and stuff. He never really bothered me until he started getting obsessed with "VIRAL VIDEOS" and trying to generate hype. Interrupt people, pull the brakes on the show's flow, fight back against the "haters". Soon his annoying nature became retroactively annoying, and I'd notice his HOLDONHOLDONs and his uncomfortable bombs from earlier shows, and I realized that he was always this much of a shitheel, I just didn't notice it while Norton & Friends were making me giggle. Opie has had the occasional one liner, and I think earlier on there was an energy when he cared more about making a good show for the day rather than try to build up to The Next Big Thing (Baby Bird, Mustard, We Are The World, etc).
Seconding all that too. His best days were always when he just set the table, maybe gave an opinion to leap from, and got the gently caress out of the way. Of course he wasn't the only one who didn't entirely get what made them popular; just remember all of the best-of marathons where they played celebrity interviews instead of whatever actually funny riffs went down recently. I ended up loading Ron and Fez best ofs exclusively on car trips because they would at least put in a funny bit between some of the Unmaskeds.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Opie fired and new Chip cartoons. What a day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQSyD7OZEOY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYQFwry1SZg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Thanks for tempering the good news. :argh:

• Locked thread