Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

irlZaphod posted:

I got FF XV yesterday for €30 in Argos,

Argos is so good for games, every so often they have PS4 stuff in for super cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Argos is so good for games, every so often they have PS4 stuff in for super cheap.
I mentioned this in the PS Store thread yesterday but I find that both they and Smyths will effectively Price Match whenever there's a sale on the EU store. You have to get in pretty quick before they sell out their stock, but you can reserve or Click & Collect.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's just because it'd be a pain in the rear end otherwise but I love that the ostracized and hated outcasts in Horizon can just wander on through town whenever they want.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

RBA Starblade posted:

It's just because it'd be a pain in the rear end otherwise but I love that the ostracized and hated outcasts in Horizon can just wander on through town whenever they want.
They address that pretty early on when they make her seeker aka anointed by the gods to whatever the hell you want and everyone has to help you.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I'm so excited to get home and play some more Horizon. It is my game of the year and possibly in my top ten games of all time. I am a huge, huge fan and cannot wait to get all the answers I'm seeking :D

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Apparently they're adding PS4 games to PS Now today. The initial selection is not great

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/07/06/ps4-games-added-to-ps-now-library-hits-500/

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Pablo Gigante posted:

Apparently they're adding PS4 games to PS Now today. The initial selection is not great

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/07/06/ps4-games-added-to-ps-now-library-hits-500/

God, "Deathinitive" is so bad.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The people cry out for Knack

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Deathinitely.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
LA Noire was so frustrating. They get you started out with the idea that you're supposed to read people's facial expressions to tell if they're lying or not, but halfway through the facial expressions become so inscrutable that it's basically just throwing a guess out there and having the game berate you for being the worst detective ever.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

PantsBandit posted:

LA Noire was so frustrating. They get you started out with the idea that you're supposed to read people's facial expressions to tell if they're lying or not, but halfway through the facial expressions become so inscrutable that it's basically just throwing a guess out there and having the game berate you for being the worst detective ever.
What screwed me every time at first is that I thought I was looking at their facial expressions while talking, which being realistic motion captures, is fairly subtle and there's a reason why police have to be experienced in spotting lies this way. But no, it's the period between when they're talking when they make some hilariously exaggerated expression if what they just said was a lie.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
It also doesn't help that "Truth/Doubt/Lie" was a late development change and the actual options are "Coax/Force/Lie". And there is no reason not to pick Lie since you can always back out of it while the character you're interrogating will often very blatantly go "Where's your PROOF/EVIDENCE that I did this very specific thing huh?"

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzPvx8VUSDw

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

You only select Lie when you have actual proof that they're lying; the evidence you have determines if you press Truth or Lie. You never guess with Lie. You only need to guess with Doubt, that's the only real time their facial expression matters.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Why does it seem like there's a weekly discussion about LA Noire in Games?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

iajanus posted:

Hells yeah getting an infinitely small amount of trade in credit!

Heads up: you need to delete the disc install before installing your digital version

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Pablo Gigante posted:

Lol, wake me up when they bother releasing psnow to the rest of the world

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc2VLaoQMb8

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
I have never played LA Noire but all the clips of him just taking it 0-100 when you doubt someone are just amazing, the curb music only adds to it IMO. That last one almost seems comical given how there is like NO interplay at all between the characters, the guy you are questioning is just sitting there calmly letting you rant until he can respond.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Jesus, can you only delete one friend at a time or something? My list is frigging huge and I want to trim it down a little quicker than this.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Scorps posted:

I have never played LA Noire but all the clips of him just taking it 0-100 when you doubt someone are just amazing, the curb music only adds to it IMO. That last one almost seems comical given how there is like NO interplay at all between the characters, the guy you are questioning is just sitting there calmly letting you rant until he can respond.

It's worth playing once just because it is a pretty ambitious game. There is a huge, painstakingly accurate version of 1940s LA to drive around in. But there's nothing to do in it aside from drive to or from a crime scene and look at landmarks. Playing it in color or black and white is impressive. They really nailed the look of early Technicolor. As others have said though some of the interrogation mechanics are jacked.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I missed this discussion but PS1 missle command was fuckin great

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

MeatwadIsGod posted:

It's worth playing once just because it is a pretty ambitious game. There is a huge, painstakingly accurate version of 1940s LA to drive around in. But there's nothing to do in it aside from drive to or from a crime scene and look at landmarks. Playing it in color or black and white is impressive. They really nailed the look of early Technicolor. As others have said though some of the interrogation mechanics are jacked.

theres rumours of a vr version if you're into that

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

The Walrus posted:

theres rumours of a vr version if you're into that

I am so, so into that. I only got like one mission's worth of LA Noire at a friend's place, but the thing that I remember about it was getting into the car and somehow my hat got knocked off. Went and did the mission without my hat, and when I returned to the office, dude grabs his hat off the ground and comments about missing his hat. Was that a scripted deal? In hindsight it makes sense that it would be, but at the time my mind was blown because the event of it getting knocked off was just me loving around.

Fix fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 6, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

PantsBandit posted:

lol even better that research shows that eye contact isn't indicative of poo poo when it comes to telling the truth

I didn't play it but watching a friend it was pretty lol watching him crash into all the immovable objects that should be destroyable

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Fix posted:

I am so, so into that. I only got like one mission's worth of LA Noire at a friend's place, but the thing that I remember about it was getting into the car and somehow my hat got knocked off. Went and did the mission without my hat, and when I returned to the office, dude grabs his hat off the ground and comments about missing his hat. Was that a scripted deal? In hindsight it makes sense that it would be, but at the time my mind was blown because the event of it getting knocked off was just me loving around.
Not scripted, no. You can lose your hat in several ways, and Cole will go to the trouble of putting it back on if you let him.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The craziest thing about LA noire to me was the huge open world with little to no purpose.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

It's really obvious that LA Noire was intended to be a lot larger than what we got. The open world has a bunch of areas that are fully realized which you can explore and poke around in (i.e. the airport) but nothing in the story ever even comes close to visiting these places. I guess that's what happens when your game floats around for a decade.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah. So often I'd be like " wow this area sure is detailed for something that serves no purpose in the game" then to top it off just running around like it's GTA kind of jut feels like anti-role playing it, while sticking to the missions feels more natural.

In the end it wasn't even a bad game. It wasn't great either. But more than anything it was absolutely bizarre for a number of reasons.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Policenaut posted:

It's really obvious that LA Noire was intended to be a lot larger than what we got. The open world has a bunch of areas that are fully realized which you can explore and poke around in (i.e. the airport) but nothing in the story ever even comes close to visiting these places. I guess that's what happens when your game floats around for a decade.

Wasn't it not supposed to be open world as at some point? Might be misremembering.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I fuckin loved LA Noire. yeah, it was janky as all hell, but the atmosphere was killer for me. the only other PS3 games that sucked me in like that were The Last of Us and Red Dead Redemption.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Horizon got a new game plus patch, meanwhile Tomorrow Children is having its Japanese servers shut off already.

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

SUNKOS posted:

I've been considering buying Overwatch since it looks good, but is it worthwhile if you intend to treat it as a pick-up and play shooter or is it a crappy experience without a dedicated group to play with?

The multiplayer in the new Call of Duty is going to be based on it so I would wait for that

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

At least the line waiting gameplay is probably quick now with no one playing.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Rinkles posted:

Wasn't it not supposed to be open world as at some point? Might be misremembering.
I think it was both planned to be and not planned to be every kind of game ever at some point of its development.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I'm kinda sad we never got the sequel set in old Shanghai.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
I saw that Gamestop had the Uncharted 4 Sony Gold headsets (the gray blue that matched that special edition PS4 console and controller) for $70 while the normal Gold headsets are still $99 there and $85 at Amazon, even the UC4 edition headset is $113 at amazon and more than $70 on ebay. Grabbed a pair to use with my PC (have nice Turtle Beach XP510 for my PS4/Switch/XB1 setup). I am impressed, just been listening to music while I work and they sound decent. No 7.1 VSS on PC unless you use the built in VSS in Windows or a 3rd party app.

Box had the $99 New sticker on it and was dusty, so appears to be unsold stock recalled back to the warehouse and they are just getting rid of them.

Definitely worth the $75 incl. tax that I paid (used a free shipping coupon code). Haven't tested out the VSS on PS4, but they get decent reviews for a $100 price tag, so $70 is even better.

Just figured I'd give a heads up since the matte gray blue looks nice. Made me order a gray blue UC4 edition controller to go along with my PC setup to replace my 360 controller (already using the controller that came with my Pro and a 20th anniversary controller with my PS4, and a white DS4 with my PStv).

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Did you make sure to pick up a roll of duct tape with it?

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Stevie Lee posted:

I fuckin loved LA Noire. yeah, it was janky as all hell, but the atmosphere was killer for me. the only other PS3 games that sucked me in like that were The Last of Us and Red Dead Redemption.

Yeah, I think I got about 2/3 of the way through before being distracted by other games. What I did play was fun and interesting and janky and I wouldn't mind playing it again for a cheap price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

veni veni veni posted:

Did you make sure to pick up a roll of duct tape with it?

pls no