Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Munkeymon posted:

the gray forum monitor thread informed me that dells don't implement display port correctly so if you turn them off they appear disconnected

whether that'll annoy you depends on how you use them I guess

I actually kind of like it that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Bulgakov posted:

hell yeah model names

lol yospos bicth

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Generic Monk posted:

if you use windows 10 it will immediately forget where your windows are placed and vomit them all over the screen when you next turn the monitor on. have fun!
Plugging/unplugging display port and HDMI interfaces also has the wonderful side effect of changing your speaker outputs.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Generic Monk posted:

if you use windows 10 it will immediately forget where your windows are placed and vomit them all over the screen when you next turn the monitor on. have fun!

windows is indeed garbage

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
thank god i never have to unplug the screen on my imac

that one time i connected an old 720p tv as a second screen was bullshit tho lol

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
noticed there is a new codec thread. didn't read, just wanted to post "AOMedia Video 1"

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
my favorite codec iss DivX ;-) because it is friendly

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Share Bear posted:

update: i found the setting, the TV's defaults were wrong, it was labelled "just scan"

ive had this tv for about a decade

you have a decade-old samsung.

it will forget the just scan setting at random and you will have to go through the incredibly slow menu or toggle to get back to just scan. which it will then forget at some point again.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

ShadowHawk posted:

Plugging/unplugging display port and HDMI interfaces also has the wonderful side effect of changing your speaker outputs.

this at least feels like it could be a behaviour that someone, somewhere, could want though.

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

windows is indeed garbage

only seems to happen in windows 10 which seems to befit the mission statement of not even being consistently poo poo

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jul 6, 2017

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
latest news i've heard about "next generation" codecs was that there was some bullet point about apple again licensing h.265. i think they dropped it at some point.

everyone else seems to be on board with AV1

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Wheany posted:

latest news i've heard about "next generation" codecs was that there was some bullet point about apple again licensing h.265. i think they dropped it at some point.

everyone else seems to be on board with AV1

apple's all in with HEVC to the point that photos will be natively HEIC.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

stuff using h.265 (HEVC)

1. Netflix
  2. vudu
  3. facetime
  4. ATSC 4.0 (rumored)
  5. DVB-t2
  6. Windows 10
  7. Mac os high sierra

stuff using AV1:

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

LOOK FOR THE GOLD V

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwO4LP0wLbY

*bitchin guitar solo*

*rockos modern life graphics*

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
is there a commonly-accepted reason why The Scene has not standardized on HEVC yet? I’m guessing it’s just because dumpster hardware doesn’t have hardware decoding support yet

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

pagancow posted:

LOOK FOR THE GOLD V

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwO4LP0wLbY

*bitchin guitar solo*

*rockos modern life graphics*

frocks on the box!!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Jimmy Carter posted:

is there a commonly-accepted reason why The Scene has not standardized on HEVC yet? I’m guessing it’s just because dumpster hardware doesn’t have hardware decoding support yet

because "the scene" is notoriously slow in changing their ways? some of them were still splitting movies up into chunks that would fit on CD-Rs in the early 2010s

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its 90% scene being set in their poo poo ways and 10% nobody understanding how to set it up properly yet. everything and their dog does hevc hardware coding these days

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Jimmy Carter posted:

it does seem to be happening slowly, though it mostly seems to be an excuse to slash the filesize by 3/4s with the resultant video looking like it was shot on a 2005 feature phone

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Jimmy Carter posted:

For a while x265 was same or worse quality than x264 at much higher encode times.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

pagancow posted:

stuff using h.265 (HEVC)

1. Netflix
  2. vudu
  3. facetime
  4. ATSC 4.0 (rumored)
  5. DVB-t2
  6. Windows 10
  7. Mac os high sierra

stuff using AV1:

duh nobody is using the standard that has not been completed. but the biggest streaming services, all cpu and gpu manufacturers and over 70% of browser marketshare are members of the alliance

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
mp4 is good

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Last Chance posted:

because "the scene" is notoriously slow in changing their ways? some of them were still splitting movies up into chunks that would fit on CD-Rs in the early 2010s

SD things get put into MP4 containers, everything else into MKV because

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

lol the scene couldnt encode their way out of a paper bag

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
an over the top parody of who you really are. nice cover... if you're low-t chickenshit

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Wheany posted:

duh nobody is using the standard that has not been completed. but the biggest streaming services, all cpu and gpu manufacturers and over 70% of browser marketshare are members of the alliance

lots of hardware makers etc were in the "alliance" for "totally not h.264, we promise" aka VP8, and guess how that turned out?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

pagancow posted:

For a while x265 was same or worse quality than x264 at much higher encode times.

x265 is a garbage fire project compared to x264 and it's embarrassing that they got to use the same name

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I just realized I could disable webm in edge. youtube is so much better now.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

x265 is p dece now Most content doesn't get encoded with grain anymore because ~digital delivery~

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
one of the big things was when some parts of the scene hesitated to move on from xvid because a bunch of them wanted their files to be playable burned to cd rom on dvd players from like 2000 that could just barely play xvid encoded files. which was in turn a repeat of a lot of people had wanted to stay on SVCD encodings so they could use even cheaper dvd players and in some cases actual svcd players in like the early 2000s still.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

i never understood why the scene went with lowest-common-denominator "solutions" like that when the few people desperate for CD-ROM playability could just get exactly that with a single click re-encode of a higher-quality file

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

how dare you

only pure, once-encoded-from-the-source-disc bits may reach my phillips divx certified prgoressive scan dvd player

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

univbee posted:

i never understood why the scene went with lowest-common-denominator "solutions" like that when the few people desperate for CD-ROM playability could just get exactly that with a single click re-encode of a higher-quality file

lol @ re-encoding poo poo on ur crappy pentium ii you were still using in 2003 probably, since you wanted to be able to play SVCD format video

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

the scene doesnt even allow vp9 lol

https://scenerules.org/t.html?id=wdx264v1.0-ecb63c67.nfo

quote:

1.4) Transcoding untouched files must only occur if files do not meet the │
│ standards and specifications listed in this section, and must only │
│ be a last resort.
Untouched video streams which do not use an AVC or HEVC codec must be │
│ transcoded and follow the transcoding standards
1.4.3) Transcoding may occur when correcting a technical flaw. │
│ e.g. Cropping black borders, deinterlacing an interlaced source.

lol original source footage like interlaced or black borders is a technical issue that must be re-encoded

YOU NEED SECOND GENERATION BECAUSE I DONT LIKE BLACK BARARRARRRSSSR

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Doc Block posted:

lots of hardware makers etc were in the "alliance" for "totally not h.264, we promise" aka VP8, and guess how that turned out?

there wasn't any incentive to abandon h.264 since hardware support was ubiquitous and the licensing wasn't that bad (most companies either paid nothing or the cap of $6.5 million, which is still nothing if you are a company like samsung or intel)

h.265 licensing is a nightmare and everyone wants to get away from it as soon as possible. it's so bad that companies offered up their patents royalty-free as long as they would eventually have a codec they could actually use

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

The_Franz posted:

there wasn't any incentive to abandon h.264 since hardware support was ubiquitous and the licensing wasn't that bad (most companies either paid nothing or the cap of $6.5 million, which is still nothing if you are a company like samsung or intel)

h.265 licensing is a nightmare and everyone wants to get away from it as soon as possible. it's so bad that companies offered up their patents royalty-free as long as they would eventually have a codec they could actually use

yep. h.264 is definitely good enough and h.265 has existed for 4? years now and yet nobody supports it because ot the licensing issues.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
i bet as soon as the av1 bitstream gets finalized, google will add support to chrome and will start pushing av1 videos on youtube to browsers that support it.

i don't know if http streaming apis have evolved to the point where they can differentiate between "supports this format" and "can decode the format but not smoothly at this resolution", because that was definitely a problem with my then-current computer and 1080p60 vp9 on youtube

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
oh yeah and i read about color spaces and this fukken chart:

see those numbers along the edge of the "horse shoe"?

those are the wavelengths of monochromatic light at that point. it's physically impossible to go outside that colored area. like i thought that maybe we just don't have good enough leds or whatever to make a monitor that uses some kind of "hyper RGB" primaries to show the whole color gamut.

because our imperfect meatbag eyes have cone cells that respond to light wavelenghts like this:

to go "outside the horse shoe", there would have to be a color that stimulates the red cone and "negatively stimulates" the green one, for example. in the xyz color space the math works and you can use physically impossible colors (that horse shoe graph shows an x-y plane)

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Wheany posted:

oh yeah and i read about color spaces and this fukken chart:

see those numbers along the edge of the "horse shoe"?

those are the wavelengths of monochromatic light at that point. it's physically impossible to go outside that colored area. like i thought that maybe we just don't have good enough leds or whatever to make a monitor that uses some kind of "hyper RGB" primaries to show the whole color gamut.

because our imperfect meatbag eyes have cone cells that respond to light wavelenghts like this:

to go "outside the horse shoe", there would have to be a color that stimulates the red cone and "negatively stimulates" the green one, for example. in the xyz color space the math works and you can use physically impossible colors (that horse shoe graph shows an x-y plane)

good poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Wheany posted:

i bet as soon as the av1 bitstream gets finalized, google will add support to chrome and will start pushing av1 videos on youtube to browsers that support it.

i don't know if http streaming apis have evolved to the point where they can differentiate between "supports this format" and "can decode the format but not smoothly at this resolution", because that was definitely a problem with my then-current computer and 1080p60 vp9 on youtube

as long as pagancow is on the board of directors, h265 will be chosen because its da bess and lol if u dont use da bes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVUyyHYkBHk

• Locked thread