Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Ynglaur posted:

$150K USD to get four people through the next 18 months. That's tight.

Looks alto like Banished

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
how close it is to the king of dragon pass?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Speaking of animal rituals (although this one isn't as good as Law and Order: Bovine Crimes Division), the ancient Romans had a ritual they performed on August 3 called the supplica canum, which was supposedly to commemorate the victory over the Gauls, who had attacked the city in 390 AD and took it all except for the citadel. The Gauls, according to the story, made a night attack on the citadel, hoping to take the Romans by surprise, and because they had fed the Roman watchdogs, the dogs didn't bark at them. However, as they were starting their attack, they went passed the temple of Juno Moneta, and the sacred geese in the temple went crazy, squawking at them and attacking them (which is completely in character for geese). The noise woke the sleeping Romans, who fought the Gauls back and drove them out of the city.

So, in honor of this, every year, they would dress geese in purple clothing, and then either crucify or hang dogs. They'd then stick the geese on litters, where they could watch the dying dogs be carried through the city, while the crowds would insult the dogs and praise the geese. The ritual was apparently carried out until the 4th century. It was, as I mentioned, supposed to be in honor of the victory over the Gauls, but that might not be true, because dog sacrifices played a big part in a bunch of ancient Roman and Italian summer festivals. Dogs had an ambiguous status for the Romans. They were praised as symbols of loyalty, and certainly useful, but at the same time, dogs, especially black ones, were seen as unlucky, there was a taboo against eating dog meat, dogs were seen as ritually unclean, and the Flamen Dialis was forbidden to touch a dog.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Bad dog :mmmsmug:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Epicurius posted:

Speaking of animal rituals (although this one isn't as good as Law and Order: Bovine Crimes Division), the ancient Romans had a ritual they performed on August 3 called the supplica canum, which was supposedly to commemorate the victory over the Gauls, who had attacked the city in 390 AD and took it all except for the citadel. The Gauls, according to the story, made a night attack on the citadel, hoping to take the Romans by surprise, and because they had fed the Roman watchdogs, the dogs didn't bark at them. However, as they were starting their attack, they went passed the temple of Juno Moneta, and the sacred geese in the temple went crazy, squawking at them and attacking them (which is completely in character for geese). The noise woke the sleeping Romans, who fought the Gauls back and drove them out of the city.

So, in honor of this, every year, they would dress geese in purple clothing, and then either crucify or hang dogs. They'd then stick the geese on litters, where they could watch the dying dogs be carried through the city, while the crowds would insult the dogs and praise the geese. The ritual was apparently carried out until the 4th century. It was, as I mentioned, supposed to be in honor of the victory over the Gauls, but that might not be true, because dog sacrifices played a big part in a bunch of ancient Roman and Italian summer festivals. Dogs had an ambiguous status for the Romans. They were praised as symbols of loyalty, and certainly useful, but at the same time, dogs, especially black ones, were seen as unlucky, there was a taboo against eating dog meat, dogs were seen as ritually unclean, and the Flamen Dialis was forbidden to touch a dog.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Grevling posted:

Plutarch:

In medieval times the elephant was also, for some reason, considered the dragon's natural enemy.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Alhazred posted:

In medieval times the elephant was also, for some reason, considered the dragon's natural enemy.

The elephants were quite efficient.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
TOWER OF HUMAN SKULLS :black101:

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Alhazred posted:

And the unicorn's. Unicorns would get so pissed off by elephants, they'd charge them and run them through with their horn. Of course, that would also kill the unicorn, because, you know, elephant stuck to its horn. Unicorn didn't care, though. Long as they were able to kill an elephant.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
Roman Concrete

quote:

Highly focused X-Ray beams have revealed the molecular make-up of concrete from a Roman pier, revealing how it gained its strength and longevity. The work could fill in one of the biggest missing pieces of our understanding on how to stop the world from heating up.

Superior engineering contributed to the Roman Empire's success, but of course, we have long since surpassed their technology. Concrete, is the big exception, however. The ancient product was in many ways more advanced than the one we build with today, as demonstrated by the survival of some 2000-year-old roads and buildings, even in earthquake zones.

Moreover, Roman concrete didn't cook the planet, having a fraction of the environmental impact. Unfortunately, we still haven't worked out how it was made. In a quest to learn the secret Roman sauce, Professor Marie Jackson of the University of Utah used the Berkeley Lab's Advanced Light SourceX-Rays to examine concrete taken from a 2000-year-old pier from Orbetello, Italy. Jackson said in a statement. "We can identify the various minerals and the intriguingly complex sequences of crystallization at the micron scale."

In American Mineralogist, Jackson reveals that crystals of a layered material called "aluminous tobermorite" provided structural strength. The same crystals are seen in rocks formed when volcanic eruptions produced the island of Surtsey off Iceland in the 1960s but were thought to require high temperatures. "No one has produced tobermorite at 20º Celsius," Jackson said in a statement. "Oh - except the Romans!"

Roman concrete is known to have included lime (CaO) volcanic ash, and seawater. Replicating the formula sufficiently precisely that engineers will feel comfortable using it for structures that must last decades has proved challenging, however. Since their chemistry was rudimentary, it is thought the Romans stumbled on the formula by watching volcanic ash turn to stone on exposure to seawater. Tragically, however, the details were lost sometime after Rome fell to less technologically attuned invaders. Work like Jackson's to identify the contents could help us reverse engineer it.

Modern concrete, including the vital ingredient Portland cement, is a major emitter of greenhouse gasses, accounting for around 5 percent of human-induced emissions. If that doesn't sound like much, consider the vast and increasingly successful efforts to replace larger sources with clean technologies. Yet a world run on renewable energy and electric cars could still be brought undone if our ever-growing thirst for carbon-emitting concrete eats up our remaining carbon budget.

A third of concrete's damage is done by the heat needed to fire the kilns in which the cement is made, while half comes from carbon dioxide released when limestone (CaCO3) is heated. The Roman process reacted the lime with carbon dioxide in seawater, actually reducing its concentration.

Barbarism led to climate change!! :argh:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Dalael posted:

Roman Concrete

Barbarism led to climate change!! :argh:

Yeah, about that: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ice-pack-reveals-romans-air-pollution-1450572.html

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
That's not the same kind of pollution as carbon dioxide emissions, though. Those were still way below industrial levels. Check out the graph at the beginning of this article.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Reminds me of this.

And more relevant to the thread, there was a culture of nomads/half-nomads living on the Arabian Peninsula in ancient times who were known for erecting towers and filling them with skulls. (The only source I could find about them is a book I have about Mesopotamia and surrounding peoples, so there's no link, sorry.)

Edit:

Wait, found them: Umm al-Nar Culture

Libluini fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jul 5, 2017

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Umm al-Nar is also the sound I make when I run across people with pillars of skulls everywhere.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Grand Fromage posted:

Umm al-Nar is also the sound I make when I run across people with pillars of skulls everywhere.

What's wrong with skulls?

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

What's wrong with skulls?

Umm... al... naar

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Has all text preserved from antiquity in Latin or Greek been translated to English? Do new texts pop up occasionally? I don't mean fragmented inscriptions from archaeological digs but more substantial stuff.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Doctor Malaver posted:

Has all text preserved from antiquity in Latin or Greek been translated to English? Do new texts pop up occasionally? I don't mean fragmented inscriptions from archaeological digs but more substantial stuff.

No, and yes.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Any examples of recently found texts?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
The Vindolanda tablets were discovered in 1973 and are my favorite piece of writing from that era just because of how banal it is. Literally a collection of random trash writings people threw out but provides an invaluable look at how the average literate person lived in that part of the empire. Also it even includes one of the earliest examples of writing from a woman; the same tablet is probably also the oldest birthday invitation ever, which is kind of cute

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Any good writeups on ancient egypt, like AAAANCIENT pre ptolemaic egypt vs subsaharan pyramid Africa?

The only things I ever see are "we was kangs" memes which is like the new "lol black people" dog whistle

that and Rome Total War which was apparently anacronistic and described iirc as "like napoleonic troops fighting WWII"

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Alan Smithee posted:

that and Rome Total War which was apparently anacronistic and described iirc as "like napoleonic troops fighting WWII"

That's why Europa Barbarorum is a must-install. I have a long campaign going where I've recreated the extent of the Roman empire ca. 50 BC (not even indomitable Gauls withstand me) but much ahead of time because with four turns per year it just takes forever if you want to expand at the same pace as irl. It must be six years since I started it.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Doctor Malaver posted:

Any examples of recently found texts?

A little bit of new (hah) Sappho was found recently, that's a pretty big deal, considering Sappho's place in ancient and modern thought.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Alan Smithee posted:

Any good writeups on ancient egypt, like AAAANCIENT pre ptolemaic egypt vs subsaharan pyramid Africa?

The only things I ever see are "we was kangs" memes which is like the new "lol black people" dog whistle

Pre-Ptolemaic Egypt had four distinct phases. The predynastic period where it was a series of communities along the Nile. These gradually consolidated into Upper Egypt (as in upper reaches of the Nile, or the southern part) and Lower Egypt (Nile Delta region). These two kingdoms were united by Narmer about 3100 BC to become the first pharaoh of all Egypt.

The next three phases are called the Old Kingdom, the Middle Kingdom, and the New Kingdom. The Old Kingdom built the pyramids and lasted until about 2100 BC, when everything fell apart - probably due to drought and a repeated failure of the annual flooding of the Nile.

The Middle Kingdom lasted from about 2050 BC to 1650 BC. Then things fell apart again, and the New Kingdom took over from about 1550 BC to roughly 1100 BC. At that point, the Sea Peoples invasions caused chaos everywhere and Egypt, while not actually being conquered by the Sea Peoples, nevertheless were mortally weakened and went into a long period of decline. They were subjects of the Assyrians, the Babylonians, and the Persians before being a part of Alexander's conquest, which then put the Ptolemies in power until the Romans took over.

Each phase of Egyptian history is distinctly different, so you probably should focus in on one at a time to get a feel for each. Wikipedia is a good place to start.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I recently read in translation Max Duncker's "History of Antiquity". It's more than a bit out of date in several ways (was written before Sumerian was well understood for example) and has that flowery Gibbon wannabe style, but the first volume is all about Egypt and I feel like I learned a good bit from it.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
What's with this seemingly renewed interest in stuff like stupidly trying to date the sphinx to a more ancient civilization?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

This is probably a tired and bland question but here goes -

A friend of mine is saying that his prof asserted that Commodus murdered Marcus Aurelius, but my friend is concerned that his prof is getting Gladiator mixed up with facts. I guessed that it might be one of these "some sources allege..." situations, but the google results are too flooded with Gladiator stuff to make any sense of it -

Do any sources allege this, and which are they?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Disinterested posted:

What's with this seemingly renewed interest in stuff like stupidly trying to date the sphinx to a more ancient civilization?

I don't know that exact example, but from what I can tell most of the time it's some marginalized ethnic, tribal, religious, etc group trying to lay claim to an ancient heritage. It's understandable and tragic because the legacy of colonialism means that a LOT of those groups essentially had their cultures and histories eradicated. Being able to lay claim to a long tradition that culminates in you is a really powerful thing, and something a lot of people are sadly lacking. It also has political utility if a group wants to lay claim to some ancient birthright.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

CommonShore posted:

This is probably a tired and bland question but here goes -

A friend of mine is saying that his prof asserted that Commodus murdered Marcus Aurelius, but my friend is concerned that his prof is getting Gladiator mixed up with facts. I guessed that it might be one of these "some sources allege..." situations, but the google results are too flooded with Gladiator stuff to make any sense of it -

Do any sources allege this, and which are they?

I don't know of any "sources" that allege that except for the movie. Commodus was 18 when he became the sole emperor*, which is certainly old enough to come up with that kind of plot I guess (or for someone else to come up with that plot to put him on the throne), but he spent his whole life being a spoiled piece of poo poo and the impression I have of him is that he would have been more than content to continue being the emperor's son and not having to do anything.

*I say sole emperor because Marcus Aurelius granted him the same rank as his own, effectively co-emperor, several years prior to his death.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

If Commodus did kill his father, he did a very good job of hiding it. Here's a good collection of ancient sources on Marcus' life. In general he wasn't a very healthy man and he lived a difficult and stressful life, there's no need to suppose he was done in by anything else. But although the ancient authors are quite hostile to Commodus, all claim that he was a big disappointment to Marcus, and some allege that he wasn't in fact Marcus' son, none of them outright accuse him of patricide.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

I don't know that exact example, but from what I can tell most of the time it's some marginalized ethnic, tribal, religious, etc group trying to lay claim to an ancient heritage. It's understandable and tragic because the legacy of colonialism means that a LOT of those groups essentially had their cultures and histories eradicated. Being able to lay claim to a long tradition that culminates in you is a really powerful thing, and something a lot of people are sadly lacking. It also has political utility if a group wants to lay claim to some ancient birthright.

I can dig more up when I'm not phone posting but there's a couple of hack amateurs out there right now putting out hypotheses that there were advanced civilizations in prehistory wiped out by apocalyptic events.

I think they're trying to push a vision of history as cyclical which I think is designed to boost a conservative agenda.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sphinx_water_erosion_hypothesis?wprov=sfla1

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, a lot of "black Egypt", "black Hannibal", and so on arise because a shitload of people of african descent live in the Americas, but between the slave trade eradicating their heritage and the historical trend of ignoring or marginalizing non-western peoples, they have no idea where they came from and no better idea of what actual african civilizations achieved. They grow up in a society of people claiming their 1/4 norwegian 18% irish a little apache etc heritage proudly, and so the natural recourse is to seize what few african places the west does acknowledge and hang on.

In practice those ideas (what the alt right calls afrocentrism) are extremely fringe, but the same mindset drives a lot of similar beliefs. IE serbians claiming the medieval byzantines, generic american white people nerding out about Henry VIII or getting hardcore Lost Cause, the finno-korean hyperwar)

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 6, 2017

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Graham Hancock is one of the dudes. I think it's a weird alt right fixation.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah, a lot of "black Egypt", "black Hannibal", and so on arise because a shitload of people of african descent live in the Americas, but between the slave trade eradicating their heritage and the historical trend of ignoring or marginalizing non-western peoples, they have no idea where they came from and no better idea of what actual african civilizations achieved. They grow up in a society of people claiming their 1/4 norwegian 18% irish a little apache etc heritage proudly, and so the natural recourse is to seize what few african places the west does acknowledge and hang on.

In practice those ideas (what the alt right calls afrocentrism) are extremely fringe, but the same mindset drives a lot of similar beliefs. IE serbians claiming the medieval byzantines, generic american white people nerding out about Henry VIII or getting hardcore Lost Cause, the finno-korean hyperwar)

Yeah it's a lot like the 'well family legend says I have a cherokee princess grandgrandmamma or something so I'm totally native american' white women

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

skasion posted:

If Commodus did kill his father, he did a very good job of hiding it. Here's a good collection of ancient sources on Marcus' life. In general he wasn't a very healthy man and he lived a difficult and stressful life, there's no need to suppose he was done in by anything else. But although the ancient authors are quite hostile to Commodus, all claim that he was a big disappointment to Marcus, and some allege that he wasn't in fact Marcus' son, none of them outright accuse him of patricide.

That's convincing enough for me.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Tunicate posted:

Yeah it's a lot like the 'well family legend says I have a cherokee princess grandgrandmamma or something so I'm totally native american' white women

I remember reading somewhere that "cherokee princess" was polite early 20th C speak for "we've got a black person in the family tree," which makes those even funnier.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

I remember reading somewhere that "cherokee princess" was polite early 20th C speak for "we've got a black person in the family tree," which makes those even funnier.

Yeah in the south, it was code for "no, no, we haven't been schtupping the slaves, it's just our uh... noble savage genes"

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

In the interest of fairness I should mention that Gladiator probably got the idea of Commodus murdering Aurelius from The Fall of the Roman Empire, since the overarching plot of the two movies is basically the exact same riff on the story of Aurelius and Commodus and the only thing Gladiator adds is the plot line about, you know, gladiators.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Commodus supposedly took part in Gladiator games, obviously fixed, would he have actually killed anyone since even regular gladiator games didnt always end fatally

or would they just let him prance around like vince mcmahon a bit and then hit the floor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It depends on how much you believe the negative histories written about him. One story has him beating dwarfs and amputees to death while pretending to be a giant.