Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

kater posted:

It's just the terribly weak season. They got Centaur at least.

There's way more interesting shows to watch this season than the last one in my opinion, but a lot of them either haven't been licensed or were picked up by Amazon/Netflix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Every season is going to be weak because there's always one that won't cater to someone's interests.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Yeah I guess ya'll are right. I looked at the CR lineup a few days ago and it was TBD'd out the rear end and just assumed they'd pick up... something.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
How the heck are people calling a season with new Symphogear and -monogatari weak?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

How the heck are people calling a season with new Symphogear and -monogatari weak?

Maybe they want new shows.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

wake me when it gets here.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

anyway i just watched Konbini Kareshi and i think it's pretty easy to say people can pass it over with no worries. the art and writing doesn't have any charm, and it's definitely going to be too serious about its mediocre stock characters and their romances as things go on. if you want a romcom, Tsurezure Children is airing this season. if you want a drama then pick up Orange from a couple seasons ago.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

There are a lot of series about kind of regular teens this summer.

Tsurezure Children is adorable. 10/10. Is it based off a 4koma? How fun a thing it was.

Opposite end of the spectrum: Konbini Kareshi. A slog. It just dragged and it was animated in such a weird, stilted way.

A shaky middle ground: Koi to Uso I thought would be like, uh, Shimoneta or something - but no. It's played very straight, with very dull character designs. And speaking of straight - is no one gay in Japan in this setting? The opening narration makes it sound like Japan instituted an eugenics program and it's been going for 40 years so what have they been selecting for?
I was half expecting a tone shift or something but got no pay-off. And just... I dunno. I suspect this series ends with the main characters eloping.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

rincewind101 posted:

Tsurezure Children is adorable. 10/10. Is it based off a 4koma? How fun a thing it was.

It is! Based off a 4-koma, i mean.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

please watch Tsurezure Children

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

if this season is weak for you and you're looking for something to fill the gap, consider boruto:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Toshiya Wakabayashi's (Tsurezure Children's OG author) stories are super simple but he has a pretty good sense of humor. I like his style and it translates well into anime.

Guy Goodbody posted:

At this point, I've followed the Monogatari series for 8 years. Eight loving years. I love the books (even when I have a love/hate relationship with the way NisiOisin writes) I enjoy the anime and I think that Senjougahara is up there with Rin Tohsaka as far as rad characters go, but I would rather see Shaft do literally anything else. I mean, I know they're not gonna stop because DVD/BD's of the series still sell ridiculously well and how Chin-Po SIMBO's boner for Nisio's literature got them to adapt loving ZAREGOTO's first novel. Zaregoto! I don't know how long you've lurked in the forums before signing up for an SA forums account, but I remember that there used to be a couple of goons besides me who entertained the idea of Zaregoto getting an anime due to the fact that Nisemono and Neko were as successful as they were when the Second Season of Monogatari started. That was a little under 4 years ago.

Man, time flies.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm always up for some more Symphogear, though, because I need hot-blooded Idol / Magical Girl / Super Sentai / Quasi-Mecha-Girls in my life.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

dogsicle posted:

if this season is weak for you and you're looking for something to fill the gap, consider boruto:

they named the sequel to naruto boruto

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Wark Say posted:

At this point, I've followed the Monogatari series for 8 years. Eight loving years. I love the books (even when I have a love/hate relationship with the way NisiOisin writes) I enjoy the anime and I think that Senjougahara is up there with Rin Tohsaka as far as rad characters go, but I would rather see Shaft do literally anything else. I mean, I know they're not gonna stop because DVD/BD's of the series still sell ridiculously well and how Chin-Po SIMBO's boner for Nisio's literature got them to adapt loving ZAREGOTO's first novel. Zaregoto! I don't know how long you've lurked in the forums before signing up for an SA forums account, but I remember that there used to be a couple of goons besides me who entertained the idea of Zaregoto getting an anime due to the fact that Nisemono and Neko were as successful as they were when the Second Season of Monogatari started. That was a little under 4 years ago.

Man, time flies.

New Monogatari novel out in ~2 weeks, so they'll probably milk it another five years at least.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

darkgray posted:

New Monogatari novel out in ~2 weeks, so they'll probably milk it another five years at least.

good

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Man, I don't see The Reflection having any appeal whatsoever. It's too basic and straight a take on Western superheroes to really stand out in a market with stuff like Tiger & Bunny, One Punch Man, and My Hero Academia. It's just lacking that certain anime something that makes these fusions so appealing. This just seems like Stan Lee got some Japanese guys to make an American show.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I haven't watched it yet but having colors and va to actually tell the characters apart is gonna make tsurezure children epic

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

darkgray posted:

I already have my buddy ready to buy it the day it comes out. Yay.

By the way, are you the same dude who used to have an AV with a pepsi-esque logo?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I felt that Dive was too...boring? Something about it just did not work for me, from the seemingly apathetic main character to the people around him. I wasn't interested until the lady showed up, and I still need to see what she does to the show, so.... huh.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Wark Say posted:

By the way, are you the same dude who used to have an AV with a pepsi-esque logo?

Yeah, also an anime butt, if that's more familiar.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

StrixNebulosa posted:

I wasn't interested until the lady showed up

my friend this may be the wrong kind of show for you

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

darkgray posted:

Yeah, also an anime butt, if that's more familiar.
Ah, when the forums got the butts disease. What a time to be alive. :allears:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Only diving anime I want to watch is Grand Blue

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Wrong kind of diving. Grand Blue does need an anime though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Kakegurui has:

• Good faces
  • Scary ladies
  • High stakes ganburu

Seems like something I should be keeping an eye on.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Everything Burrito posted:

my friend this may be the wrong kind of show for you

lmao

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

rincewind101 posted:

A shaky middle ground: Koi to Uso I thought would be like, uh, Shimoneta or something - but no. It's played very straight, with very dull character designs. And speaking of straight - is no one gay in Japan in this setting? The opening narration makes it sound like Japan instituted an eugenics program and it's been going for 40 years so what have they been selecting for?
I was half expecting a tone shift or something but got no pay-off. And just... I dunno. I suspect this series ends with the main characters eloping.

Spoilers: One of the characters actually is gay so that's a source of drama down the line.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Konbini Kareshi is me mostly marveling at how cheap the animation is although I've seen more gonk in other things. Lot of still shots of people doing nothing though.

Isekai Shokudou is just about what I expect it to be. Probably boring as poo poo to other people, but relaxing and nice for me. It's an isekai without too much of the trappings of the genre and more importantly, foods

Gonna watch Saiyuki next

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

The setting in Koi to Uso is constructed poorly. They mention this new social norm of people getting match-made at 16, yet they don't establish a baseline of one example of how this is successful or how it works. Every introduced character just hates it out of the gate, with no dissent (or rather, no example of compliance). And the explanation is miserable: if the entire point was to get the birth rates stable, why not let people choose who they want if they choose before the deadline? And if the point was to selectively breed the population, why does every character openly dissent against it, and again no baseline is set? Shouldn't we be introduced to just how dystopian this world is?

Not to mention the false drama that's generated from a contradiction in the story's own rules: they point out the one girl who hasn't gotten her match despite being 16, then try to generate drama by having this dude receive his selection at exactly midnight of his birthday, like, uh which way is it supposed to be?

Anyways, the concept could have been interesting, but this was a pretty bad stumble out of the starting gate, I'm not convinced it will get any better.

I'll still give Konbini Kareshi a shot though, because it feels like one of those first episodes that tries to establish too many things than it can handle, but they were forced to do it. It also feels like a bunch of junior animators learning how to create running and soccer and swimming scenes, then they decided to put some relationships around it. It still has a shot at improving on both fronts, maybe!

However it also gets minus points for, when the two guys are busting each other's chops, not replying to
"You're at my house more than my dad is"
with
"...maybe... :thunk: I am your Da-"
followed by a punch to the arm, because I'm having trouble imagining any other reasonable resolution to that dialogue.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Grand Blue Fantasy

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

AnacondaHL posted:

Not to mention the false drama that's generated from a contradiction in the story's own rules: they point out the one girl who hasn't gotten her match despite being 16, then try to generate drama by having this dude receive his selection at exactly midnight of his birthday, like, uh which way is it supposed to be?

This didn't seem to clash with logic. If person A's match B is younger, then person A can't receive a notification until person B turns 16, because it would spoil person B's partner ahead of time. In the case of our protagonists, not getting the notification at midnight would mean confirmation they both get different partners, who are yet to turn 16.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

darkgray posted:

This didn't seem to clash with logic. If person A's match B is younger, then person A can't receive a notification until person B turns 16, because it would spoil person B's partner ahead of time. In the case of our protagonists, not getting the notification at midnight would mean confirmation they both get different partners, who are yet to turn 16.

I considered this and also rejected it based on how shocked all the characters were at that situation. If this were the case then it would have been treated as the menial norm. Hence my claim of false drama.

edit: I can be more specific. During the exposition dialogue scene where the boys are talking about the Main Girl, if this were the case they would have been saying stuff like "I heard she hasn't gotten her notice yet" "So she's being paired with a younger guy?" "I still have a chance! Sucks for you!" but instead we get general drama about a ticking timebomb, like it's just going to happen whenever after turning 16, contradicting the end of the episode.

This is what I mean by "poorly constructed episode".

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jul 7, 2017

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-07-06/gainax-makes-zero-century-anime-film-trilogy-based-on-leiji-matsumoto-stories/.118490

Gainax is back, baby!!!

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Is Gainax even going to be around in 2020?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Gainax will survive all financial fuckups forever, it's in their blood.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

That said if the impossible happens and they do cease to exist, ending on a trilogy of Matsumoto movies is a drat good send-off compared to their output over the past decade.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Srice posted:

That said if the impossible happens and they do cease to exist, ending on a trilogy of Matsumoto movies is a drat good send-off compared to their output over the past decade.

*endorph voice* wish upon the pleiades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

ep 1 was super pretty

• Locked thread