Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jul 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I love that every single person is on Ries' side

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Japan why you gotta make things weird?

Anywho, now that we have Agate back... :getin:

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Yay, Agate's back! I'd play his theme from Ys x Sora no Kiseki, but I'm not sure people would appreciate that.*

*Agate's theme in that game is called: Dragon Dive ~The A in Agate is for Akage**~

**Akage is Japanese for "red hair".

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Have we really only got one empty spot in the party roster for Estelle? it seemed like we had a long ways to go not that far back.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Glazius posted:

Have we really only got one empty spot in the party roster for Estelle? it seemed like we had a long ways to go not that far back.

We may be getting more party members after Estelle. :ssh:

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I appreciate that several characters trust Kevin even though they know he's hiding something important. It reminds me of Estelle and Olivier back in SC; she really has rubbed off on Joshua.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I have to give credit to Doppel Agate for retaining the original's talents of "hit things really hard with a sword". Sadly it loses points for omitting the incoherent yelling part of Agate's combat style, though.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
If it had the incoherent yelling then Really Pants would have game over'd at that dragon dive and the entire fight would have been based around him not getting a turn to do exactly that.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 7, 2017

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

EponymousMrYar posted:

If it had the incoherent yelling then Really Pants would have game over'd at that dragon dive and the entire fight would have been based around him not getting a turn to do exactly that.

I think that's kinda the point of the Agate fight. Agate is billed as "all S-Breaks, all the time" which is kinda intimidating to be up against. He's also one of the few characters to have an S-Break that hits everyone. It has all the markings of an end of chapter boss fight.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
That was probably my least favorite door. I never really got invested in their story.

Also a little fun fact, if you start a New Game Plus and carry over the items, you get their night sticks.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

I really liked this door, something about just seeing what Agate would do for a junior Bracer exam was great. Plus the only things that are a real threat are the blue things that can inflict freeze since they are the only enemies here that actually resist the def down debuff. Though I really don't want to imagine what this door might be like on a higher difficulty.

XainZero
Feb 16, 2011

I feel like I got lucky during my fight with Agate because he decided to attack normally every turn. I figured he was just going easy on them but this told me he wasn't going as easy as I thought.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
I really liked this door too. I enjoyed the interaction between the three Ravens and I laughed when Rais carelessly slammed on Agate's berserk button and Agate got full Gunnary Sergeant Hartman on them in response. It seems like the entire country knows about Agate's soft spot these days.

I initially wondered while playing 3rd why buffs seemed useful right out of the gate in this game instead of it being like FC and SC where buffs and ailments ran out almost immediately until you got up in levels. Turns out that the minimum the game was tuned for wasn't Kevin's starting level, but these guys.

It was kinda annoying, but also kind of fun to play with three extremely weak characters who had to work closely together in order to survive (since you can't target yourself with your healing craft) and having to rely on the Ravens' unorthodox crafts. This is the one time you actually have an attack that makes you walk away from your opponent and then "attack", just like Carna did in the last games when you fought her. I only used Shakedown and the healing/reviving crafts though. The strength buff runs out way too quickly and doesn't make nearly as big a difference as Shakedown does and No Mercy can miss and a few whacks on a debuffed opponent do just as much damage.

Seems like Whemler's cooking skills are just as sucky as ever. In both FC and SC he could teach you a recipe that randomly set your characters' CP to 100 or set it to 0 and also occasionally drained your HP. Looks like it does the same here except it has fixed odds of setting the CP of two Ravens to 100 while draining the CP and HP of one other. You don't want to eat this if your CP is higher than 100 because the excess CP will be wasted.

I imagine this door is complete bullshit on Hard and Nightmare though. Especially those Cryon Bits, who can already murder you on Normal if the RNG decides to let you miss a few times while the freeze effect of their attacks connects.

XainZero posted:

I feel like I got lucky during my fight with Agate because he decided to attack normally every turn. I figured he was just going easy on them but this told me he wasn't going as easy as I thought.

I once shook him down and just attacked as much as possible without relying on strength buffs or No Mercy and he went down before he could OHKO one of my guys with Beatdown 2. He can be a real pain if he spams his crafts a lot though.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 9, 2017

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016
I played the door on hard. It was complete bullshit. I actually had to grind a few levels just so I can survive the stuff in the cave consistently (the Blade Fang can OHKO Deen's Olivier-level-frail rear end off the bat) and I pretty much just did not fight anything outside because they were WAAAY too much trouble.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

That was probably my least favorite door. I never really got invested in their story.

Well, it's part of Agate's story too. If the Ravens had come to the guild before he met Estelle and Tita, he would have probably just told them to piss off.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Dang, that's an awful lot of levels for juniors. I suppose it's the attitude? Also it wouldn't be much of a credible Agate fight otherwise.

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Super High-School Level Eating Machine

Really Pants posted:

Well, it's part of Agate's story too. If the Ravens had come to the guild before he met Estelle and Tita, he would have probably just told them to piss off.

That's a good point, it's really a nice way of showing just how far Agate's come from when we met him originally. I'm kinda hoping we get to see Rocco and the gang as seniors in a cameo later in the series, or at least get mentioned. There's a fair chance they'll at least get the second in CS3 hopefully.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Glazius posted:

Dang, that's an awful lot of levels for juniors. I suppose it's the attitude? Also it wouldn't be much of a credible Agate fight otherwise.

I mean, every time you fight them as the main party they're fighting a team of trained bracers and they aren't exactly going down in one hit there. They obviously had something going for them pre-training. Presumably Agate's Hartman impression's hardened them into semi-competence.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

WARNING: ERIKA

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Really Pants posted:

WARNING: ERIKA

As if we need a warning with those eyes glinting from the shadows. Erika is great/the worst/still great.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
You know a character is cartoonish when they actually SAY "woosh" and "zoooooom" while hightailing it out of there. (and that's not even the most cartoonish thing she does in this door)

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Erpy posted:

You know a character is cartoonish when they actually SAY "woosh" and "zoooooom" while hightailing it out of there. (and that's not even the most cartoonish thing she does in this door)

Agate actually feels more mature than Erika, and that's utterly terrifying if you stop and think about it. It's a small miracle Tita is as well adjusted* as she is.

*relatively speaking, of course. She still owns a machinegun bigger than she is, a killsat**, and she was perfectly willing to go against Ouroborous at the venerand age of 13.
**no seriously that s-craft :wtc:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Whenever you have a big machine gun with a lot of bullets to burn you just have to keep the trigger pressed and go 'ahhhhhhhh' when firing it.

It's like, a sublaw of nature.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I'm glad that anime fandom in general seems to be going away from crushing on tweens, but the rare few times it does happen sticks out to me. Please game, chill out with the Tita shipping.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Omobono posted:

Agate actually feels more mature than Erika, and that's utterly terrifying if you stop and think about it. It's a small miracle Tita is as well adjusted* as she is.

*relatively speaking, of course. She still owns a machinegun bigger than she is, a killsat**, and she was perfectly willing to go against Ouroborous at the venerand age of 13.

I suspect her dad had a lot to do with that. Tita herself says in SC that she doesn't resemble her mom at all. At least not in personality.

I'm still willing to go out on a limb and say that Tita's killsat is simply a funky battle effect, like Emma's towers and Jusis' porta-horse in Cold Steel. But I also know I used to say the same thing about Tita's gattling gun before Second Chapter stabbed me in the back and proudly stated: "yup, that modderfoggin' chaingun is actually real", so maybe I should be careful about my assumptions going forward, before Cold Steel III has Azure Abyss whip out that friggin' amfitheatre in the middle of a story scene.

EagerSleeper posted:

I'm glad that anime fandom in general seems to be going away from crushing on tweens, but the rare few times it does happen sticks out to me. Please game, chill out with the Tita shipping.

At no point in the game does Agate show any romantic interest in Tita. The reason Erika, and Dan to a lesser degree, nevertheless act like overprotective in-laws is...well...rule of funny.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 9, 2017

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Erpy posted:

rule of funny

it's not a very good rule

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
It stopped being funny partway through the first half of this door.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Maybe it's funnier in Japan.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Yeah, Agate seems to see Tita as a surrogate little sister, and it's everyone else who keeps harping on about "the aesthetic beauty of age gaps in a relationship" or whatever the hell. I honestly can't blame him for reacting as defensively as he does when someone brings it up.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

On one hand, I can get onboard with trolling Agate, because he's the second best target after Estelle in terms of reactions and he really, really deserves a good trolling.
On the other hand, can we please get some other trolling material, please? Overprotecting mother misunderstanding the situation is funny, the rest of Liberl getting on the act is not.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Yeah, Agate seems to see Tita as a surrogate little sister, and it's everyone else who keeps harping on about "the aesthetic beauty of age gaps in a relationship" or whatever the hell. I honestly can't blame him for reacting as defensively as he does when someone brings it up.

There's certain romantic elements there but as it is everyone's regressing to highschool drama levels of 'oh my goodness there's a THING there they totally have a thing eeeeeeeeee it's so cute eeeeeeee'

Which is ok in small doses but this is what, the second full game where it's been brought up repeatedly? The only thing that would make it funny is if Agate started full-on ignoring everyone who brought it up and Tita started being all defensive about it (switching their current reactions to keep it fresh.)

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Omobono posted:

Look at who Tita's mother is and how she behaves. Is an orbital satellite laser cannon really outside her levels of insanity?

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016
If you have problems with people "pushing" this crush, then interpret it as everyone not so much doing it to push the crush as to simply push Agate's button to be entertained.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
I was kinda doing that already, though it really depends on the person. Olivier and Schera teasing Agate just to get a reaction is in-character for them. (they were riling up Estelle for the lulz long before Agate even entered the picture) I'm not completely convinced Josette (who's not really THAT familiar with Agate) wasn't being serious since she's part of a crack pairing herself, so I can kinda see her supporting other crack pairings as a matter of her telling herself she has a chance with her own. And Anelace was totally being serious since even breathing comes less naturally to her than enthusiastically shipping crack pairings.

That leaves Julia, who stumped me by opening her mouth during Agate's unsealing scene, since she's such a straight arrow her participating in a moment of levity seemed out of character for her. Then again, Kloe and Julia are supposed to be somewhat similar in personalities and Kloe has shown a penchant for teasing people from time to time.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jul 10, 2017

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 11, 2017

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Since I forgot to re-check the door after I'd already gone through to do the first half, I never went back and did the second part of the story until I'd already finished the game. No Orbal Gear for me. :negative:

(Tita kicked rear end for AOE status effects and such anyway, so whatever)

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

The question in this picture is what we're all asking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I like that they FINALLY made Tita a viable character for the final boss fight. It was so long overdue. And man, her and Agate slaughtered it on my playthrough. Tita is easily top-tier from this point on.

• Locked thread