Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
It would be nice if they wouldn't render people if grass isn't rendered at distance. But if you look through a scope it would render the grass, and people visible in the scope. So you could still hide in grass at distance and didn't stick out like a sore thumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Hamelekim posted:

It would be nice if they wouldn't render people if grass isn't rendered at distance. But if you look through a scope it would render the grass, and people visible in the scope. So you could still hide in grass at distance and didn't stick out like a sore thumb.

Limiting view distance to 150 meters is bad, and will never happen.

They tried to render grass at far range while scoped a while ago, it tanked the frame rate so much that using an 8x or 15x scope would result in a slideshow.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

succ posted:

50% in solos... what the gently caress is he doing?

Unless I'm seeing it wrong it's 50% in squad, not solo. Which honestly still blows my mind.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
If you don't drop in mostly naked and clothe yourself with the garments of your slain enemies you are not playing this game right.

I actually really want a mode that is similar to Survival in The Division, where getting enough layers of clothing to stay warm when you go outside is really important.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Hamelekim posted:

stuff like this never works, it just ends up being janky as hell and makes optimization a bitch especially when you're scoping in and out and the game is constantly trying to render and unrender a ton of grass. Not to mention the potential low-key cheating issues it opens up

making grass a core gameplay element in an engine that can't really handle it beyond the short-medium range was a dumb design choice but nothing's going to change about it because it's a technical limitation. They would be better off replacing all the 'normal' grass with much shorter grass that is purely cosmetic and calling it a day. maybe leave things like wheat fields between houses because they're at least still somewhat useful for players trying to cross short/medium distances between points of interest but honestly debating grass solutions seems like basically the same as bitching about 3rd person at this point

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
It's kind of retarded that they made decisions that drive their competitive players to crank their settings way down rather than up. I play on a big glorious pc because I want my games to be prettier, not uglier.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Pretty much every shooter game people play at all competitively people turn the graphics way down on.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I doubt they are interested in rewriting major unreal engine features but it's not impossible to do some type of occlusion of player models based on the grass without rendering the grass at distance. I remember this being in some old rear end Novalogic game in the past. At long range the portions of a player model that would be covered by grass when you went prone would basically not render to people scoping your location. Now that has its own set of problems because it basically made you invisible when prone at range, but I'm honestly surprised there hasn't been a more modern solution implemented in Arma or something.

They made the right call at least to force the same grass render distance for all players no matter what graphic settings, but it still creates the bizarre situation where you are actually more visible to people from miles away than you are right next to them. What they really need are trees that constantly sway their foliage, right now it's too easy to see a single pixel or two move and spot someone from 800 meters.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 6, 2017

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Doorknob Slobber posted:

my favorite ghille suit story is I was prone on a hill without one and some dude wearing one pulled up in a car and went prone right next to me and I stood up and shot him in the head and stole it.

There are shocking moments of lack-of-awareness in this game, yesterday I dropped in the gun range with some other guy, got unlucky with the guns and saw him coming in my direction all rifled up so I just lay prone on the ground expecting a quick execution... instead he just runs by me, literally stomping not a meter from my head and continues on his merry way.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Pretty much every shooter game people play at all competitively people turn the graphics way down on.

Yeah any shooter where it's important to spot bits of people

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Captain Beans posted:

I doubt they are interested in rewriting major unreal engine features but it's not impossible to do some type of occlusion of player models based on the grass without rendering the grass at distance. I remember this being in some old rear end Novalogic game in the past. At long range the portions of a player model that would be covered by grass when you went prone would basically not render to people scoping your location. Now that has its own set of problems because it basically made you invisible when prone at range, but I'm honestly surprised there hasn't been a more modern solution implemented in Arma or something.

They made the right call at least to force the same grass render distance for all players no matter what graphic settings, but it still creates the bizarre situation where you are actually more visible to people from miles away than you are right next to them. What they really need are trees that constantly sway their foliage, right now it's too easy to see a single pixel or two move and spot someone from 800 meters.

The ARMA engine just visually submerges the player model halfway into the ground if you're prone on grass and are observed from outside the foliage draw distance. I got a hunch this is exactly what the PUBG crew is going to pull off.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I'm pretty sure they need to steal whatever Squad is doing.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Yeah and it's annoying anytime anything starts getting hyped as a "competitive" game. Like, if your computer can't give you the fps without turning stuff down, that's one thing. But if lower graphics settings are straight-up advantageous even without any sort of fps benefit? Stupid as gently caress.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

DrNutt posted:

Yeah and it's annoying anytime anything starts getting hyped as a "competitive" game. Like, if your computer can't give you the fps without turning stuff down, that's one thing. But if lower graphics settings are straight-up advantageous even without any sort of fps benefit? Stupid as gently caress.

One positive is that they do seem concerned with the issue, and have spoke about how they are attempting to come up with a solution.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Fart Car '97 posted:

replacing all the 'normal' grass with much shorter grass that is purely cosmetic and calling it a day

This is the real solution. Also seed the map with more cover doodads.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Here's hoping they can use some of their millions of dollars to have Epic help them optimize the poo poo out of their game.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

VulgarandStupid posted:

I'm pretty sure they need to steal whatever Squad is doing.

Does Squad do anything special engine wise? It seems like Squad maps just have shitloads more objects.

It certainly is more difficult to spot in Squad. Although Squad doesn't render grass far out the maps have an insane amount of trees (they sway too), rocks and other statics on them. Distant hillsides in PUBG look like an N64 level in comparison. Come to think of it Squad levels are pretty large too, not sure why PUBG runs like poo poo when Squad runs well maxed out.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I keep everything turned up to max except motion blur and it runs fine for me. Could certainly look better, though.

Vetitum
Feb 29, 2008

This loving game

http://plays.tv/video/595c4328a0f1209ac1/usa-

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Another reason the vehicle bugs are just awesome

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Was that really even a bug?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Please tell me this was you

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Jesus loving Christ of Nazareth.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The dream

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Whoa when did they add the two new regions?

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
Thinking about picking this up, but looking for a deal. Currently have 10% off via Humblebundle, but before I go there, figured I'd see if anyone bought it from GMG and got one of the recent promo codes? (Either way, I'm buying the game)

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

It hasn't had a deal anywhere yet, so I wouldn't wait for one. Get in.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The ARMA engine just visually submerges the player model halfway into the ground if you're prone on grass and are observed from outside the foliage draw distance. I got a hunch this is exactly what the PUBG crew is going to pull off.

I don't know much about 3D engine programming but I feel like there would be a way to apply the grass textures as an alpha layer in front of player characters so they appear partially transparent, which should be way way way way cheaper than rendering the grass itself. Someone else (who is much smarter than me) proposed that exact solution for the ARMA engine because sinking fellas into the group causes a lot of other problems apparently.

Based on PUBG's development so far I am optimistic they will resolve this issue but to be honest it depends on how they handle the other major technical hangup the game has atm which is vaulting/climbing.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

abigserve posted:

I don't know much about 3D engine programming but I feel like there would be a way to apply the grass textures as an alpha layer in front of player characters so they appear partially transparent, which should be way way way way cheaper than rendering the grass itself. Someone else (who is much smarter than me) proposed that exact solution for the ARMA engine because sinking fellas into the group causes a lot of other problems apparently.

Based on PUBG's development so far I am optimistic they will resolve this issue but to be honest it depends on how they handle the other major technical hangup the game has atm which is vaulting/climbing.

Yeah that's relatively simple to do. I'm not sure how good the result would be, but it's definitely doable. The perceived density of the alpha overlay can be based on the density of the grass in the ground beneath the player.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Three times tonight I was about to open Prey because it's a genuinely amazing game, but then I thought I'd play one game of PUBG and now this again and again and again.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008

Black Griffon posted:

It hasn't had a deal anywhere yet, so I wouldn't wait for one. Get in.

Maybe when they allow for full keybindings. Just read that you can't rebind left-shift (weapon steady). I'm left handed, so that's a breaker for me.

dmnz
Feb 14, 2012

BNNRROWNWNWOWOWOWO

abigserve posted:

I don't know much about 3D engine programming but..

Sorry mate I couldn't finish reading your post after this amazing opening line.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I think the best thing about this game is you don't have 4-5 other clowns on your team that you have to carry.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Playing with goons is on a whole different level of fun than solo games. Here's some dumb bullshit from a game today. Apologies for the crappy video quality, I'm still messing around with some settings to try and maximize quality without impacting muh precious frames.

https://youtu.be/BZjnBGnQ1Gc

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
I wonder what the chances of getting the different weather effects are. I haven't seen a rain map since the patch.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Sokani posted:

I wonder what the chances of getting the different weather effects are. I haven't seen a rain map since the patch.

Finally saw rain today, but it seems like it's just really really rare.

dmnz
Feb 14, 2012

BNNRROWNWNWOWOWOWO
Rain is 1/10 chance I read somewhere.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
popped my chicken dinner finally, solo with no ammo for my m16. all hail patience and the vector

https://streamable.com/w6n9h

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

dmnz posted:

Sorry mate I couldn't finish reading your post after this amazing opening line.

to be fair I don't know much about anything so I could open every post with "I don't know anything buuuut" and cut out the middle man. I do know a lot about programming/scripting but never done any graphical stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

Tokubetsu posted:

popped my chicken dinner finally, solo with no ammo for my m16. all hail patience and the vector

https://streamable.com/w6n9h

How are you guys recording your games?

edit: also LOL what was the guy in the UAZ thinking?

• Locked thread