Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It came up in the Comic Strip Megathread relatively recently -

Haifisch posted:

1999 Spider-Man

Julet Esqu posted:

Peter Q. Parker? What's the Q stand for? Quincy? Quentin? Quartermain?

Ghostlight posted:

The 'Q' stands for "Stan Lee doesn't give a poo poo". His middle name is Benjamin.

Stan Lee famously used alliterative names because they were easier for him to remember - but even then he managed to accidentally call the Hulk "Bob Banner" in one comic resulting in Marvel saying that his name was actually Robert Bruce Banner he just preferred going by his middle name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
next: blame it on the internet

that's very good advice for a wide variety of situations

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
More comics should end with Spidey reflecting on how his soul is damned.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Benito Cereno posted:

In this story, there's a millionaire who hates Christmas, so he develops a chemical that makes you gain weight rapidly and puts it in some chocolates that Santa Claus eats. Santa is then too fat to slide down chimneys, so Superman comes to the North Pole to help him lose weight. The cranky millionaire also drugs Santa's reindeer, so Superman ends up pulling the sleigh, too. The millionaire ends up crashing his helicopter on an iceberg and his heart softens when Superman and Santa rescue him.

I'm kind of surprised that Jimmy isn't involved in any of that, also

mind the walrus posted:

I 100% cannot tell if this is a joke or not.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
A little late to the Animal Man talk, but is all post-Morrison Animal Man bad or just the rest of that run? Because I've become very enamored with Jeff Lemire as of late (Holy gently caress! Sweet Tooth!), and was considering checking out his New 52 Animal Man, though his body of work is so large, there's many others I could read first. I've never touched Essex County and they have it at my library.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

mind the walrus posted:

That is totally a thing that happened, as is this.

Mighty Avengers #10

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Ohhh I used to have this annual when I was a kid,man you've just brought back so many memories.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Ghostlight posted:

It came up in the Comic Strip Megathread relatively recently -

I always loved the Robert Bruce Banner thing.
Because my dad always goes by his middle name instead of his first name (the nurse talking to his parents got confused and recorded the wrong name first so legal his middle name ended up as his first name.)

So since I discovered that Bruce Banner does the same thing it let's me imagine my dad as the Hulk.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Robert David Bruce Banner.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

The Question IRL posted:

Because my dad always goes by his middle name instead of his first name (the nurse talking to his parents got confused and recorded the wrong name first so legal his middle name ended up as his first name.)

So since I discovered that Bruce Banner does the same thing it let's me imagine my dad as the Hulk.

It's a very common thing for boomers to go by their middle name.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Toshimo posted:

It's a very common thing for boomers to go by their middle name.

There must have been a lot of confused nurses in the 1950s.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is it a generational thing? I thought it was just down to how lovely your first name was.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I believe it used - first half of the last century, maybe - to be somewhat common for people to go by their middle name but keep their first initial. H. Rider Haggard or W. Somerset Maugham, for example.

There's one scene in To Kill a Mockingbird where Scout sits in on a meeting of Aunt Alexandra's ladies' meeting, one of whom pontificates about the activities of a missionary named "J. Grimes Everett" and ever since I read it, "J. Grimes Everett" has been the most American name ever to me.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Is that supposed to be Jaime Hernandez? Punky looking kid in Southern California in the 80s named Jaime, and his face sort of looks like a Xaime face.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

zoux posted:

Is it a generational thing? I thought it was just down to how lovely your first name was.

My father, his brother and sister, my boss, my coworker who is my father's age. It's anecdata, but I see it a lot in people born in the '50s.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I was born in 1978 and I go by one of my middle names because otherwise I'd be a "Junior".

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Phylodox posted:

I was born in 1978 and I go by one of my middle names because otherwise I'd be a "Junior".

Born 9 years earlier and same. Plus my dad grew up in the deep south and got really angry when people tried to call me Junior.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

I think a lot might involve parents naming their kids after themselves. Like my grandpa's name is George and he named my dad George, so obviously he had to go by something else.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

TwoPair posted:

I think a lot might involve parents naming their kids after themselves. Like my grandpa's name is George and he named my dad George, so obviously he had to go by something else.

My family has four generations of people named John and they've all gone by something else (Jake, Jeff, Jack, and Fred).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I share a name with a famous dead person (very famous in Indiana) so I stopped using my real last name about 7 years ago. I just recently put it back up on my FB profile but only for wedding purposes.

Ryan White, famous kid who died of AIDS 27 fuckin years ago but idiots in this state still make "I thought you died" jokes

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

It never stops amazing me how much of an improvement Texas' citizenry, if not their politics, managed to be over Indiana.

AzureFlame
Nov 26, 2009

kujeger posted:

"BIG PUN"

I think it's supposed to be a Heathers reference? Amazing.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Keeshhound posted:

It never stops amazing me how much of an improvement Texas' citizenry, if not their politics, managed to be over Indiana.

Yes, but it's like the improvement of projectile vomiting over projectile diarrhea.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

mind the walrus posted:

Read Ewing's Mighty Avengers.
it's not a joke

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I believe it used - first half of the last century, maybe - to be somewhat common for people to go by their middle name but keep their first initial. H. Rider Haggard or W. Somerset Maugham, for example.

There's one scene in To Kill a Mockingbird where Scout sits in on a meeting of Aunt Alexandra's ladies' meeting, one of whom pontificates about the activities of a missionary named "J. Grimes Everett" and ever since I read it, "J. Grimes Everett" has been the most American name ever to me.

A lot of the time publishers would use initials to hide the fact that a book was written by a woman. I'm 90% sure J.K. Rowling said that's why Harry Potter was credited to J.K. Rowling.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Toshimo posted:

Yes, but it's like the improvement of projectile vomiting over projectile diarrhea.

You misunderstand; I had assumed it was going to be worse.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

A bit of old Love and Rockets for your punk rock weekend

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

zoux posted:

Possibly - I have a friend who goes by his middle name and he was born in 82. Coincidentally his first name is also Robert.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

The S in Harry S. Truman doesn't stand for anything, he literally just had the letter S as a middle name.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Alhazred posted:

The S in Harry S. Truman doesn't stand for anything, he literally just had the letter S as a middle name.

My grandfather was named EJ. That's what was on his birth certificate.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Some places have rules on what you're allowed to record as "a name". Some places do not give a gently caress at all.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
My dad legit tried to name me Slagathor. The nurse blinked at him, turned to my mom- "So what are you really naming him?"
He tried it again when my sister was born, and was shot down a second time :mmmhmm:

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
From Batman 455

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

My dad legit tried to name me Slagathor. The nurse blinked at him, turned to my mom- "So what are you really naming him?"
He tried it again when my sister was born, and was shot down a second time :mmmhmm:

Is he a big Scrubs fan?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

smashpro1 posted:

Is he a big Scrubs fan?

This was back in the 90's, way before Scrubs was a thing.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Gaunab posted:

From Batman 455

People who live in costumed vigilante mansions...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The Question IRL posted:

A friend of mine goes by his middle name with first initial, J Jonah Jameson style. Gets junk mail addressed to J all the time.

I think it's part generational, part how bad your first name is.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jul 8, 2017

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gaunab posted:

From Batman 455

Spider Jerusalem looks terrible.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

There's J. Michael Straczynski, who admittedly goes by "Joe" to his friends.

Ulysses S. Grant got renamed by a War Department clerical error. His birth name was Hiram Ulysses Grant, but someone at West Point wrote it down as Ulysses Simpson Grant (the Simpson coming from his mother's side of the family who were sponsoring him to the Point ). Since going with the initials "H.U.G." would probably lead to shenanigans he decided to just let it ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
So what made him do it? Why, for god's sake?