Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
already posted in the Chinese thread, but any good uses for black garlic??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spadoink
Oct 10, 2005

Tea, earl grey, hot.

College Slice
HELP ME I'M DYING

Well, not quite, but I'm 8 months pregnant and have developed pregnancy-related gallstones that necessitate a low-fat (like, less than 40g/day if possible) diet to try and avoid the attacks that (bonus!) trigger a vasovagal response and drop my blood pressure AND heart rate! Fun!

I had planned to make and freeze a tonne of foodstuffs this month for post-baby convenience, but outside of soups most of what I was planning is not gallbladder friendly. Oh, and as an extra bonus recipes should be not too spicy since apparently that can also trigger attacks, which throws my spicy daal and chickpea curries out the window too :(

Doing vegetable or turkey-based pasta sauces is already on the list, but I would really appreciate any others that you might be able to throw at me. I'm supposed to limit egg consumption too (because life is cruel) so please help me.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Bet It All on Black Garlic Burger

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Spadoink posted:

HELP ME I'M DYING

Well, not quite, but I'm 8 months pregnant and have developed pregnancy-related gallstones that necessitate a low-fat (like, less than 40g/day if possible) diet to try and avoid the attacks that (bonus!) trigger a vasovagal response and drop my blood pressure AND heart rate! Fun!

I had planned to make and freeze a tonne of foodstuffs this month for post-baby convenience, but outside of soups most of what I was planning is not gallbladder friendly. Oh, and as an extra bonus recipes should be not too spicy since apparently that can also trigger attacks, which throws my spicy daal and chickpea curries out the window too :(

Doing vegetable or turkey-based pasta sauces is already on the list, but I would really appreciate any others that you might be able to throw at me. I'm supposed to limit egg consumption too (because life is cruel) so please help me.

You may want to consult an actual nutritionist on this. Fortunately, I know one! Hold on a tick while I ask him.

Edit SO SAYETH THE NUTRITIONIST: Hmm. I would say broadly avoid fatty meats and choose all low fat dairy. Stick to egg whites. Majority of the time opt for whole wheat bread, rice, noodles and fill up on veggies/fruit. A 4 oz chicken breast only has 4 gm of fat so staying away from added oils/fat sources shouldn't hit that 40g/d threshold at all. Just have to clean up the eating a bit. Watch oils, butter, milk, cheese, meats.

Any red based sauce should work fine. If it's ethnic cuisine will just have to limit fat in base (butter or oil). Coconut would be out but could always use coconut milk with some fat free half and half to get that creamy base.

SO SAYETH THE ME: I'd make up a batch of nice tomato sauce for over whole-wheat noodles, maybe some Japanese style curry to put over rice, mild hummus to eat with veggies, and portion out/freeze a bunch of 4oz chicken breasts that you can grill up as needed. Fat free or low fat yogurt with granola and fruit for snacks. Fill up on cut veggies and yogurt dips. Plain popcorn is nice too.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 5, 2017

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Spadoink posted:

HELP ME I'M DYING

This black bean mushroom chili recipe is one of my favorites. Beyond what small amount of oil you need to sautee and sweat the vegetables and the trivial amount of fat in black beans, I think it should suit your needs. It says slow cooker, but I've only ever made it on the stovetop in a Dutch oven and it's always turned out fine. It's pretty amazing, because if you follow the recipe, it's vegan but actually (sorry, vegans) very tasty (it's the cardamom), and makes a lot of meals you can portion out and freeze. It does call for a few of those spicy canned chipotles in sauce, but if you're worried about it, I think I'd just substitute a tablespoon of smoked paprika.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Anchovies. I've never had an anchovie in my 40 years on this Earth. Time to change that.

I'm having a dinner party and plan on making Salad Nicoise. I'm using Jamie Oliver's Simple Salad Nicoise recipe. I planned on leaving the anchovies off, but I decided now I ought to try it.

How 'fishy' do anchovies taste? What I read describes them less as fish fillets than as huge umami bombs. I don't eat a variety of seafood. The only fish I eat regularly are Mahi and Grouper, both of which are known for not having a 'fishy' taste. I can tolerate (but not enjoy) tuna or swordfish. But salmon, bass, roughy....I just don't like them at all. How would I fare with anchovies?

Any tips on finding good anchovies? Brands or style that are better than others?

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Give me something new to do with pork tenderloin. For years, I've used the same basic recipe:
1) Brine, dry or wet, for 12-24 hours.
2) Trim off any silver. Have a tube of meat that's about a foot long and 3-5 inches wide.
3) Coat with some sort of rub. The Penzey's spice rubs work especially well: Lemon-Pepper, Chili 3000, BBQ, smoked paprika and aleppo pepper.
4) Sear in cast iron over medium-high heat on all sides for 3 minutes a side.
5) Bake in the skillet at 350 for 15-25 minutes.
6) Rest 10 minutes.

This has worked really well, but I'm looking for new recipes. What else can I do with a pork tenderloin?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bagheera posted:

Give me something new to do with pork tenderloin. For years, I've used the same basic recipe:
2) Trim off any silver. Have a tube of meat that's about a foot long and 3-5 inches wide.
3) Coat with some sort of rub. The Penzey's spice rubs work especially well: Lemon-Pepper, Chili 3000, BBQ, smoked paprika and aleppo pepper.
6) Rest 10 minutes.

Sous vide at 140 for an interesting texture.

Try a Porchetta or a pepper mayo covering (with or without pineapple) and roast.

Wrap in chicken skins and fry.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Make a simple vinaigrette with it and toss with every steamed or blanched or roasted or grilled or fried veg or mushroom

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

baquerd posted:

Sous vide at 140 for an interesting texture.

Try a Porchetta or a pepper mayo covering (with or without pineapple) and roast.

Wrap in chicken skins and fry.

Med rare pork tenderloin changed my life

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Bagheera posted:

Anchovies. I've never had an anchovie in my 40 years on this Earth. Time to change that.

I'm having a dinner party and plan on making Salad Nicoise. I'm using Jamie Oliver's Simple Salad Nicoise recipe. I planned on leaving the anchovies off, but I decided now I ought to try it.

How 'fishy' do anchovies taste? What I read describes them less as fish fillets than as huge umami bombs. I don't eat a variety of seafood. The only fish I eat regularly are Mahi and Grouper, both of which are known for not having a 'fishy' taste. I can tolerate (but not enjoy) tuna or swordfish. But salmon, bass, roughy....I just don't like them at all. How would I fare with anchovies?

Any tips on finding good anchovies? Brands or style that are better than others?
What are you looking to get out of this exercise? You say you don't enjoy any fish at all and can't `tolerate' anything as fishy as salmon. Anchovies are pretty fishy and oily. I mean I'm all for trying new poo poo and trying to move outside your comfort zone, but all signs point to you not enjoying anchovies. So what are you looking for here?

If you're just looking to check something off a list just buy a tin, slap one on a cracker and eat it. If it turns out you like 'em, perfect, go from there. And if you don't you haven't made a big production out of it, toss the rest of the tin, move on. And for the record (and in case you're not familiar with the practice) sardine-on-a-cracker is an actual thing, not some silly internet challenge I'm just making up. As in it's a common way of consuming sardines among people who actually like sardines.

Whatever you do don't look at something you're making for a dinner party and are intending on feeding to other people as your experiment into the limits of your own personal food pickiness. That's a separate thing.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Good advice. I'll just do anchovie on a cracker for myself, and leave the anchovies off the salad.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Wait, why not serve them to other people just because he doesn't like them? It's not like he has to taste them to get the seasoning just right, it's sardines.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Perhaps a misuse, but I used to saute it to the best of my ability in olive oil and toss mushroom ravioli in it. Earthy + earthy seemed like a good idea at the time, it was quick, and the result was tasty.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Anne Whateley posted:

Wait, why not serve them to other people just because he doesn't like them? It's not like he has to taste them to get the seasoning just right, it's sardines.
I would not serve something to a bunch of people if I'd literally never prepared it before and wasn't planning on tasting it before serving.

But whatever. If you, Anne Whateley, want to make the opposite proposition a hill you want to die on, cool. Don't really care. I was just trying to make the point that trying to get past personal food aversions and preparing food for a party are really two separate things. And it's probably a good approach to do personal experimentation with food that you're not planning on serving to a bunch of people.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Whats the best option(s) for wine storage, with some bottles being 500ml (same radial dimensions as a 750, just shorter)? I'm looking to put freestanding storage in a cupboard, roughly 6 bottles tall, 4 wide.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

SubG posted:

If you're just looking to check something off a list just buy a tin, slap one on a cracker and eat it. If it turns out you like 'em, perfect, go from there. And if you don't you haven't made a big production out of it, toss the rest of the tin, move on. And for the record (and in case you're not familiar with the practice) sardine-on-a-cracker is an actual thing, not some silly internet challenge I'm just making up. As in it's a common way of consuming sardines among people who actually like sardines.
Indeed, if it's just ticking "I've eaten anchovies" off a list, eating on a cracker is fine. However, some ingredients can taste very different on their own and when incorporated into a dish. So experimenting with the rest of the tin after the cracker test is also possible. Still, totally agree with this:

SubG posted:

Whatever you do don't look at something you're making for a dinner party and are intending on feeding to other people as your experiment into the limits of your own personal food pickiness. That's a separate thing.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Anchovies are super duper salty and strong though. They're meant to be used as a condiment. Eating one straight up like that, especially of the guy does not like fish, is like taking a sip of soy sauce and declaring it inedible. Sardines are eaten on crackers, a few anchovies will flavor a whole mug of soup or salad.

Sardines are good btw. Like an oily tin of tuna fish.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I love fish and salt but I don't really care for anchovies in most whole applications. On a pizza, on a salad, etc...like was mentioned earlier, they're more of a condiment. By themselves I find them too overpowering.

I will puree them into a homemade Caesar dressing all day long, though. That's what makes a good Caesar dressing. Bagheera, try this dressing recipe. Uses anchovies (I typically use 2-3 since any more and my wife won't eat it) and is ungodly delicious, and super easy to make.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Bagheera posted:

6) Rest 10 minutes.

This has worked really well, but I'm looking for new recipes. What else can I do with a pork tenderloin?

Butterfly it into three parts so it basically becomes flat. Spread a herb/garlic or fruit paste inside. Roll up like a jelly roll and secure with twine. Bake until 165, let rest, slice and serve.
Check out the first part of this vid for the garlic herb version.
https://www.americastestkitchen.com/episode/542-elegant-fall-dinner

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The Midniter posted:

By themselves I find them too overpowering.

Yep. But I do enjoy smashing them into things. I never would have thought to put them in my red sauce until I read about it here in GWS!

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Bagheera posted:

6) Rest 10 minutes.

Click the ? under my av and look for a post I've made a couple times about Mark Bittman's twice-cooked pork tenderloin. Or just google that recipe. Several other goons have tried and loved it.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Bagheera posted:

You can use anchovies in your vinaigrette, instead of whole, this will temper the fishy taste. I use this for Nicoise style salads:

20 mil white wine vinegar
80 mil olive oil
2 to 4 anchovy fillets
2 cloves garlic
Squeeze of lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon of sugar
Pepper to taste
Put ingredients into a blender or use a hand blender to blitz until smooth. Adjust quantities of oil and vinegar to taste.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bagheera posted:

Put like 3 in a pasta sauce

Bagheera posted:

Give me something new to do with pork tenderloin.
Roulade. Fill it with apple, craisins, onion, goat cheese...

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Bagheera posted:

Dry cure it for lonzino. https://honest-food.net/gird-your-loins-lonzino/

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Bagheera posted:

6) Rest 10 minutes.

Do you have any rainier cherries?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Looking for some recipes for Bao, the big puffy kinds like these. Are they difficult to make from scratch? I've got a small steamer which I mainly use for rice so hopefully that's sufficient (even if I'd only be able to make 3-4 at a time in it).

At a local Sichuan place they have one particular kind I love listed as "Spicy Pork & Beef Steamed Bao", so something like that would be awesome. My wife also loves Azuki bean fillings. Anyone got some recipes for anything like these?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
What do I need to make sushi rice at home? Preferably something using a rice cooker that I can keep for a few days.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

AnonSpore posted:

What do I need to make sushi rice at home? Preferably something using a rice cooker that I can keep for a few days.

short grain rice, rice wine vinegar, sugar, salt. Make rice in rice cooker normally. toss in vinegar salt and sugar solution and mix into the rice with a "slashing" motion, do not scoop/stir or fold or mash the rice in any way, you want to break down the grains as little as possible. let it cool to body temperature, slash-mixing every 10 min or so.

as far as leftovers are concerned, it'll be edible but leftover rice sushi will never be nearly as good as fresh. the sticky vinegary exterior homogenizes with the interior and it just becomes a seasoned rice thing.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 6, 2017

Spadoink
Oct 10, 2005

Tea, earl grey, hot.

College Slice

Thanks for this, I kind of forget about hummus, so doing a big batch before baby and having on hand for easy shoving in our faces with veggies when sleep deprived is another good idea. I've been doing okay with current meal prep along the lines of what your post laid out, switching fish prep from sauteing in oil to en papillote etc, I've just been led to believe that post-baby even wrapping some fish + veg with herbs and lemon and putting it in the oven will seem like too much work.

DasNeonLicht posted:

Black Bean Chili

And thanks to you too. I like black bean recipes and this looks pretty good. I'd also forgotten about Eating Well as a source for potential recipes. Bean recipes tend to freeze really well.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Thanks for the advice on pork tenderloin. I have 6 of them in the freezer. I'll try the butterfly tomorrow.

Now I have a bigger problem: I invited two people to join my wife and I for dinner. My wife invited her boss, who then invited their co-workers, who then invited all their husbands. Instead of cooking for four people, I'll be cooking for thirteen people. I've never cooked for more than eight people in my life. Any tips?

Here's the menu:

Appetizers
Boar sausage (store bought)
Cheese (store bought, whatever's in stock in the cheese shop)
Guacamole (made by my wife) and chips
Diced cantaloupe

Main Course
Pork tenderloin (3, prepared in different ways)
Ratatouille (questions below)
Basil flatbread
Caprese salad

Dessert
Apple Cobbler
Peach Cobbler
Cherry Cobbler (this whole thing started because I haven't made cobbler in a long time)
Whipped cream (homemade, of course)

I've never made ratatouille, but I have made a stew of zuchini, tomatoes and bell peppers. How much harder can ratatouille be? I'm talking about the "diced veggies cooked separately then stirred together," not "thin discs arranged in a spiral and pretty but takes way too long" variety.
I can make almost everything before the guests arrive. I need to make the caprese right before it's served. And I'd like to make the pork tenderloin no more than half an hour before serving. What about the ratatouille? Can I make it a few hours beforehand? Or does it need to be hot off the stove?

gently caress, this is stressful. And expensive. At least the guests are in charge of all the drinks.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

AnonSpore posted:

Sushi rice needs to be used pretty soon I think, it doesn't keep.

But if you have a rice cooker just buy some Japanese rice, make it in the rice cooker, mix some rice vinegar with some salt and sugar, toss the rice with it then spread it out and fan it for a while with something while it's hot to cool it off and get the glaze.

Never mash the rice together too hard and remember you can always add more of the vinegar mix but can't take it away.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

My mom makes a kind of red cabbage + kielbasa stew with crushed tomatoes as the base, but whenever I make it myself it always ends up tasting weirdly sweet. I don't know if it's the red cabbage or the tomatoes; are either of those known to have sugar in them? I know there's some Bavarian red cabbage dish that uses sugar, and that's not really what I want to make.

Or am I somehow mistaking sweetness for something else?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Spadoink posted:

Thanks for this, I kind of forget about hummus, so doing a big batch before baby and having on hand for easy shoving in our faces with veggies when sleep deprived is another good idea. I've been doing okay with current meal prep along the lines of what your post laid out, switching fish prep from sauteing in oil to en papillote etc, I've just been led to believe that post-baby even wrapping some fish + veg with herbs and lemon and putting it in the oven will seem like too much work.

We're rooting for you!

While we're on the subject of chickpeas, here's a video by a couple I love on youtube. A lot of kinda obvious advice, but presented in a charming manner. I for one never knew you could freeze hummus. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoMCMV6ZAXQ

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Literal bean counter.

He's not wrong though and I don't use my pressure cooker nearly often enough, time for some hummus from scratch.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Spadoink posted:

Houmous isn't really low fat, I'm afraid. Both the tahini and the chick peas themselves lead to it being about 10% fat.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Gerblyn posted:

Houmous isn't really low fat, I'm afraid. Both the tahini and the chick peas themselves lead to it being about 10% fat.

She would have to eat two cups of hummus to reach her daily maximum of 40g. That's a fair bit of hummus and veggies.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I have decided my summer project is to learn some Thai food. Anyone have a good list/site for the staple pantry stock ingredients I need to track down?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

I have decided my summer project is to learn some Thai food. Anyone have a good list/site for the staple pantry stock ingredients I need to track down?

So easy to start, you can buy premade curry pastes that take a lot of the work out.

As for fresh ingredients:
-lemon grass
-fish sauce (or soy for veg)
-tiny hot chilies
-kafir lime leaves
-cilantro, thai basil, mint
-golangal (similar to ginger)
-coconut and/or coconut milk
-peanuts
-garlic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

You need a good granite pestle and mortar to make pastes and sauces. Thai food is nothing without the pastes and sauces being pounded by hand.

To add to the list above,

Dried shrimps and shrimp paste
Thai birds eye chilies
Palm sugar
For a real project you can make your own coconut milk from a coconut rather than using a can.

Australia loves Thai food, so for a western view of Thai food you could check out Aussie chefs like David Thompson from Long Chim.

Helith fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jul 7, 2017