Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
https://i.imgur.com/eIp2iJq.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
:confused:

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

There supposed to be beard trimming from IS members trying to go into hiding/sneak out.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Supposedly all the IS fighters molting shedding sloughing shaving all their beards n poo poo off as they bail from Syria

I'm mostly just amused by Sgt. LookAtDisShitRightHere

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Gentlemen, I give you the pubes of our enemy.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
lil late but I'm still here pew pews and ka booms outside so here

http://i.imgur.com/LiI4w1O.mp4

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Duke Chin posted:

lil late but I'm still here pew pews and ka booms outside so here

http://i.imgur.com/LiI4w1O.mp4

My whole life has been a lie

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Millions of people have died so that this could be so.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
That's Australia in the background looking on and giggling

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/thestevennabil/status/882749563068588032

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/iraqi_day/status/883022371984207873

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
...that first reply tho :stare:

edit: whoa phone-posting makes this huge. And I can't remove the image? poo poo, my bad.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 7, 2017

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Any artillery goons: Is it possible to fire a 100mm gun from a regular truck chassis? What about while moving? This seems like a really good way to have cheap mobile artillery that's fairly defensible. Fire a couple shots and roll away before the airstrike comes.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
A standard small truck? I bet it would get knocked the gently caress over or bend the frame in just a few shots.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

ded posted:

A standard small truck? I bet it would get knocked the gently caress over or bend the frame in just a few shots.

"Small" as in a trailer of a semi meant for cargo containers like this one. Still I'd think itd gently caress it up right quick and that fitting a gun when the chassis is on springs and a few feet off the ground is gonna tip it. ....maybe if theyre firing backwards no.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Yeah, I Am Not An Artilleryman, but it seems like the kind of thing that would gently caress up the frame of the truck after a few shots at most, and shooting any direction but straight forwards or straight back is gonna tip your lovely SPG over.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

As an artilleryman I'll point out the 198 had aluminum trails that cracked fairly regularly and those were just metal legs with a shovel at the end so it'd dig in and not move as much when you fire. The 777 with titanium poo poo doesn't crack as much. Can't speak for the paladin but there's a reason our self propelled stuff is on tracks, not tires. Even scaling down I don't think your average truck frame is gonna take a lot of that type of abuse without serious reinforcement. Firing a cannon while moving is best left to tanks.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yeah, an Abrams rolls at about 72 tons and even then firing off a round is a pretty exciting event.

Cannon trailer does look like the best car chase weapon ever though.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

not caring here posted:

Cannon trailer does look like the best car chase weapon ever though.

*the director of 9FastFurious hastily takes notes*

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Maybe he wandered onto the set of Fast and the Furious 8 (9?)

edit: are you kidding me

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Crazycryodude posted:

Yeah, I Am Not An Artilleryman, but it seems like the kind of thing that would gently caress up the frame of the truck after a few shots at most, and shooting any direction but straight forwards or straight back is gonna tip your lovely SPG over.

Now I want to see them direct fire that thing from the rear-facing position, only to have the entire cannon barrel and housing recoil the other direction right through the truck cab splutching Smokey Hajaar

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
The big strykers had a problem with tipping over when firing their mobile gun variant, but that was a direct fire variant I believe.

Makes me wonder if direct fire guns have anything notably different than indirect. So I did some internet research.

Indirect fire weapons can (and should) shoot beyond line of sight. A 155mm artillery piece for example has a much longer range because it's using a lot of propellant (powder). But also because it points up instead of ahead, duh. I don't know how much propellant is used in a tank or stryker MGS, but I have difficulty imagining fitting an equivalent amount in that tiny little metal cave.

An abrahams gun according to the internet fires a 40lb projectile with a muzzle velocity of 1600m/s whereas a M777 fires a 90lb projectile at charge 8 super with a MV of 827m/s. All of those figures vary based on target range, projectile used, propellant temperature, etc. But it does appear that our big artillery gun fires a project ~2x the weight at ~1/2 the muzzle velocity, which suggests the same amount of energy is being transferred. The ratio of what's absorbed by the projectile and what's absorbed by the chassis and tube is....??? I am not a physicist. I trained on slide rules and tabular firing tables.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Duke Chin posted:

Now I want to see them direct fire that thing from the rear-facing position, only to have the entire cannon barrel and housing recoil the other direction right through the truck cab splutching Smokey Hajaar

Bandit Hajaar. Smokey is the cops.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Pesticide20 posted:

Bandit Hajaar. Smokey is the cops.

Wait, gently caress, who was the truck driver?

edit: Cledus "Snowman" Snow
So Cledus Hajaar was what I was looking for damnit :argh:

ed 2 unrelated to any god drat thing:

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jul 7, 2017

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Zeris posted:

An abrahams gun according to the internet fires a 40lb projectile with a muzzle velocity of 1600m/s whereas a M777 fires a 90lb projectile at charge 8 super with a MV of 827m/s. All of those figures vary based on target range, projectile used, propellant temperature, etc. But it does appear that our big artillery gun fires a project ~2x the weight at ~1/2 the muzzle velocity, which suggests the same amount of energy is being transferred. The ratio of what's absorbed by the projectile and what's absorbed by the chassis and tube is....??? I am not a physicist. I trained on slide rules and tabular firing tables.
Using those numbers, the Abrams' projectile actually has about 2/3 more kinetic energy than the 777's projectile (roughly 23,200 kN vs. 13,900 kN, ignoring the rotation of either projectile). You're thinking of the momentum of those projectiles (roughly 29,000 N·s vs. 33,700 N·s), which are roughly comparable. Kinetic energy of an object is one half of the product of its mass and the square of the its velocity, while its momentum is just the product of its mass and velocity.

For our discussion, the conservation of momentum when each gun is fired is more relevant: as the projectile has a momentum of some magnitude and direction, so too does the gun have an equal and opposite momentum (y'know, recoil). If each gun was mounted on a truck and the weight of each gun was also similar (Wikipedia claims they are similar enough *cough*), then the chief differences between them would simply be the angle of their momentum relative to the truck (and thus, the angle at which they apply an impulse to the truck) and what that impulse to the truck would be like (i.e. how they each manage the recoil). The 120mm gun's momentum would be roughly horizontal to the ground while the 155mm gun would have both significant horizontal and significant vertical components to its momentum (i.e. it would be at an angle). The impulse that each would impart on the truck I don't know, because I don't exactly have lots of technical information about either gun and high-speed footage of each recoiling, so let's just say "gently caress it" and claim that they're roughly comparable and either one would wreck a trailer in short order.

e: It's basically small and fast versus big and slow all over again.

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 7, 2017

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NUoNnX045A

TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012

I would gladly salute any one of those men - just to hear the clinking noise they make when they return it.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Duke Chin posted:

ed 2 unrelated to anything god drat thing:

I would like to know all the campaigns they have been on to earn those.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

ded posted:

I would like to know all the campaigns they have been on to earn those.

When they ventilate their predecessors with AA, they inherit the medals.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing
I never noticed the goddamn pantsleg medals before now

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Mad Dragon posted:

When they ventilate their predecessors with AA, they inherit the medals.

North Koreans bravely using the 'highlander' method of promotion.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Duke Chin posted:

ed 2 unrelated to anything god drat thing:

Dudes really over compensating for some free Golden Corral.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Because nothing stands out like a Semi.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dudes really need to adopt the oak leaf cluster system or something, god drat

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Naked Bear posted:

For our discussion, the conservation of momentum when each gun is fired is more relevant: as the projectile has a momentum of some magnitude and direction, so too does the gun have an equal and opposite momentum (y'know, recoil). If each gun was mounted on a truck and the weight of each gun was also similar (Wikipedia claims they are similar enough *cough*), then the chief differences between them would simply be the angle of their momentum relative to the truck (and thus, the angle at which they apply an impulse to the truck) and what that impulse to the truck would be like (i.e. how they each manage the recoil). The 120mm gun's momentum would be roughly horizontal to the ground while the 155mm gun would have both significant horizontal and significant vertical components to its momentum (i.e. it would be at an angle). The impulse that each would impart on the truck I don't know, because I don't exactly have lots of technical information about either gun and high-speed footage of each recoiling, so let's just say "gently caress it" and claim that they're roughly comparable and either one would wreck a trailer in short order.

If you're considering momentum, though, you can't just consider the projectile, because much of the momentum is that carried by the propellant gases, and the 155mm gun is using a much larger propellant charge.

But yes, I think the takeaway is the same: truck trailers ain't designed for that poo poo.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Yeah, that's an important thing I completely forgot about. :doh:

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

just put the truck in neutral before you fire your artillery out the back of your truck. idiots.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Reverand maynard posted:

just put the truck in neutral before you fire your artillery out the back of your truck. idiots.

That's how you make the tank fly in GTA:SA :nsa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Kawasaki Nun posted:

That's how you make the tank fly in GTA:SA :nsa:

Thank you! I was racking my brain trying to remember which game that comment reminded me of.