Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The latest Film Forum schedule came out and Night of the Living Dead is listed as released by Janus Films. The CF.org folks think it'll be an October release.

Also, apparently the restoration notes for Straw Dogs lists the scan as being done by The Walt Disney Company :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Clearly that indicates an upcoming animated remake where Mickey and Minnie have their country house invaded by Pete and his gang.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Egbert Souse posted:

The latest Film Forum schedule came out and Night of the Living Dead is listed as released by Janus Films. The CF.org folks think it'll be an October release.

Also, apparently the restoration notes for Straw Dogs lists the scan as being done by The Walt Disney Company :lol:

The phantom page for George Romero makes this almost a definite

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
NOTLD Criterion is a dream release, holy moly.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
They better put Day of the Dead on there too.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The_Rob posted:

Day of the Dead got a Shout Factory collector's edition release fairly recently, which is the next best thing.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The_Rob posted:

I must be the only person on earth who doesn't care for Day. Bub is great, but everything else is a boring slog.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Amazon has a few Criterions up for <$20

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_...nid=10346811011

Kwaidan, The Royal Tenenbaums, and Safety Last are all also $20 and some change.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Kwaidan for $20 is a steal, it's one of those Criterions that I'd have gladly paid full price for.

I put in my pre-order for Stalker, I wasn't going to but then I got scared that it might sell out.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Kwaidan for $20 is a steal, it's one of those Criterions that I'd have gladly paid full price for.

I added it to my Filmstruck watchlist. That and Jeanne Dielman are the ones jumping out at me right now, but I've already got my B&N sale list and money put away so will be avoiding any blind buys for now at least.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I Married A Witch is a cute and funny supernatural romcom.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Looks like there's quite a few more on sale now, some under 17 bucks.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

God drat it, Stalker is playing at my local art house theatre this weekend but I don't know if I can make either showing. Is it worth abandoning friends, family and a social life to see it on a big screen? :ohdear:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Cacator posted:

God drat it, Stalker is playing at my local art house theatre this weekend but I don't know if I can make either showing. Is it worth abandoning friends, family and a social life to see it on a big screen? :ohdear:

I mean, you can invite them to the showing too.

But yes. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Your friends, family, and social life will still be there afterwards.

Anyone know when the B&N sale will start?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

GrandpaPants posted:

I mean, you can invite them to the showing too.

But yes. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Your friends, family, and social life will still be there afterwards.

Anyone know when the B&N sale will start?

Word on the street is July 11

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Gonna nab Three Outlaw Samurai for my brother's birthday. That is a top-notch samurai flick.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I must be the only person on earth who doesn't care for Day. Bub is great, but everything else is a boring slog.

I appreciate Day for just being an ugly mean movie. It's so nihilistic and dark that I end up being fascinated by it every time I watch it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Honestly, I've never gotten the opinion that Day is a particularly nihilistic film. If anything, it rejects nihilism. The nihilists in the cast end up devoured, and the humanists and hedonists gently caress off to a beautiful island to live out their days.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Honestly, I've never gotten the opinion that Day is a particularly nihilistic film. If anything, it rejects nihilism. The nihilists in the cast end up devoured, and the humanists and hedonists gently caress off to a beautiful island to live out their days.

The issue is though that wherever they are living at the end the idea of world destruction and mass death is still looming in the background.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I do think there's a difference between a film that is incredibly bleak, which Day of the Dead is, and one that's nihilistic. I find it hard to label it nihilistic when I consider how the Bub storyline is treated.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
I wouldn't say that the Dead films are nihilistic, more just fatalistic. Whether it's bleak endings like Night or the military half of Day or relatively upbeat survivor endings like Dawn you know it's never going to actually work out anyway.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Basic humanity is not meaningless, if the Dead films are saying anything it's that. When society breaks down and human decency is no longer a given, it suddenly becomes more meaningful than ever. Not that it always wins out, but I do think the movies say it's worth fighting for and surviving for.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Y'all like Land of the Dead? I watched a few months ago and while I didn't think it was as good as Night/Dawn/Day it seemed alright to me.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

"DAY IS BETTER THAN DAWN!" I scream as I flee the horror movie convention in fear for my life.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

TrixRabbi posted:

"DAY IS BETTER THAN DAWN!" I scream as I flee the horror movie convention in fear for my life.

The consensus seems to be slowly turning on that though. Dawn's reputation isn't quite what it used to be and Day's seems to get better and better as time goes on. I think the whole rampant consumerism thing in Dawn is seen as trite and simplistic today as compared to the 80's and 90's.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Basebf555 posted:

The consensus seems to be slowly turning on that though. Dawn's reputation isn't quite what it used to be and Day's seems to get better and better as time goes on. I think the whole rampant consumerism thing in Dawn is seen as trite and simplistic today as compared to the 80's and 90's.
When I took a writing course in college, we had to read an article that argued that pretty standard interpretation of Dawn and write what we thought about it on an online message board for the class.

One dude in the class got really loving mad that anyone would read the film in that way, and blasted it as "pseudo-intellectual" or something like that.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Raxivace posted:

Y'all like Land of the Dead? I watched a few months ago and while I didn't think it was as good as Night/Dawn/Day it seemed alright to me.

Yeah Land of the Dead is okay. The two after that are real lovely though.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Basebf555 posted:

All three are phenomenal, but I do think Day has been unfairly overshadowed all these years. Night remains the champ.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Raxivace posted:

It's really bad but I enjoyed the brief moment where Dennis Hopper goes 'watch out, get down' before he shoots somebody in the head https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w77EQ2-yJ0c

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The_Rob posted:

The issue is though that wherever they are living at the end the idea of world destruction and mass death is still looming in the background.

Yeah, but they don't have to mope about it. Acceptance and striving for happiness in the face of death is portrayed as the better option. The world is chaotic and horrible, so just eke out your own little niche.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Basebf555 posted:

If that's what consensus is doing consensus is an idiot. Dawn of the Dead (1978) is one of a very small handful of genre films whose reach is felt beyond the genre and, for that matter, beyond film. It, even more than Night of the Living Dead (1968) is the template for virtually all living dead fiction that came after it. Recent films, games, comics, and asinine poo poo like zombie preppers all follow a line back to the urban survival fantasy of Dawn, not the fallout shelter drama of Night.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

SubG posted:

If that's what consensus is doing consensus is an idiot. Dawn of the Dead (1978) is one of a very small handful of genre films whose reach is felt beyond the genre and, for that matter, beyond film. It, even more than Night of the Living Dead (1968) is the template for virtually all living dead fiction that came after it. Recent films, games, comics, and asinine poo poo like zombie preppers all follow a line back to the urban survival fantasy of Dawn, not the fallout shelter drama of Night.

That being said, if the endpoint of that is The Walking Dead, who's to say that's a good thing.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

SubG posted:

It's influence is undeniable, no question about it. But, as Uncle B pointed out, not everyone agrees that the influence has been a positive thing. The survival fantasy element of zombie films is something that I think not everyone enjoys and you're correct that it can be traced back to Dawn of the Dead.

I know for myself, when I watch Day of the Dead I think "I wish more zombie movies were like this", while when I watch Dawn of the Dead it's more like "this is really good but I feel like I've seen it a thousand times before". Not that it still isn't relevant, because of course it is, but it's just not novel anymore, and Day feels like it still is.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

To clarify though, Dawn of the Dead is my favorite of the original trilogy too, although they're all great.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I remember wanting to like Land of The Dead so much but between CG blood and hamfisted political commentary it just couldn't win me over.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

It was a great follow-up to Super Mario Bros: The Movie.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Basebf555 posted:

It's influence is undeniable, no question about it. But, as Uncle B pointed out, not everyone agrees that the influence has been a positive thing. The survival fantasy element of zombie films is something that I think not everyone enjoys and you're correct that it can be traced back to Dawn of the Dead.

I know for myself, when I watch Day of the Dead I think "I wish more zombie movies were like this", while when I watch Dawn of the Dead it's more like "this is really good but I feel like I've seen it a thousand times before". Not that it still isn't relevant, because of course it is, but it's just not novel anymore, and Day feels like it still is.
In this model consensus is just a silly hipster saying that it liked Dawn back before it got popular.

But, you know, that's not really how consensus works. If something is still, approximately 40 years after its initial release, one of the most instantly-recognisable clusters of cultural signifiers and is the basis for a string of contemporary, popular, commercially-successful properties it's really loving hard to see this as an argument for declining consensus opinion.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I watched Dawn way after I'd been exposed to the 8 million different things it influenced but I'd say it definitely still feels fresh. A lot of the stuff that came afterwards feels a lot more rigid in this weird adherence to the idea of "zombie media" as rules 2 be set with stuff like, "fast vs slow zombies" or "only adults can become zombies" or whatever whereas like Dawn just throws some zombie kids runnin at the protagonist in like the first 30 minutes.

Hat Thoughts fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 8, 2017

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The shopping montage in Dawn 78 where they become akin to mannequins and start to be bored by uninhibited consumerism is the best part of the movie and nobody ever seems to copy it, unless I'm wrong then please tell me where I can find more of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

The two guys gambling with thousands of dollars that now might as well be Monopoly money is probably my favorite image of the movie. That and the oddly empathetic way the footage of the zombies milling about the mall are.

I was definitely someone who hated zombies for years and and avoided everything due to their over-saturation, until I rewatched Night and saw Dawn for the first time about 4 years ago and realized they're two of the greatest American films period.