Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Drone_Fragger posted:

You are one of about 5 people who don't just build an enormous hell warehouse filled with beds and junk sorting stations with 200 turrets over the top, I feel.

Man clearly you haven't been bored and watching twitch streams at like 2AM, I would say at any given time there are like a dozen people tinkering with their enormous meticulously crafted settlement right down to the beer bottles and ashtrays on the tables and such. I think there are some people who play F4 exclusively to do that and see the quests as a thing they have to do to get more money and materials to keep building.

The Bananana posted:

Besides companions, are there any other npcs you can romance? I knownthebsinger in good neighbor is one

There's a robo brain in Far Harbor you can hook up with, you know, if you're into that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Wolfsheim posted:

There's a robo brain in Far Harbor you can hook up with, you know, if you're into that.

That would be great!... uh... for those disgusting robot fetishists, I mean.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Gynovore posted:

That would be great!... uh... for those disgusting robot fetishists, I mean.

What else are you going to do with all of those penis-shaped fingers of yours?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

If you don't go save Preston you can still tell the vault school about rescuing him.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
What? It's not like those little brats can go and check for themselves can they.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Chronojam posted:

If you don't go save Preston you can still tell the vault school about rescuing him.

Haha, never change, Bethesda

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Are there any resources to figuring out which mods are best for you? I'm reinstalling the game after upgrading everything (4:3 monitor to 16:9, new GPU, new CPU). I used to run like 16 mods but I don't even remember what they were. And that was at least half a year ago.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The real FO4 main quest is finding out it's been 200 years from codsworth and going 'welp' and living out of the vault forever

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Wolfsheim posted:

Man clearly you haven't been bored and watching twitch streams at like 2AM, I would say at any given time there are like a dozen people tinkering with their enormous meticulously crafted settlement right down to the beer bottles and ashtrays on the tables and such. I think there are some people who play F4 exclusively to do that and see the quests as a thing they have to do to get more money and materials to keep building.

It's me, I'm the guy who enjoys building hyper detailed mega-settlements on survival without cheating the materials. Honestly the settlement building was the only thing that had any real staying power past the 60th hour or so after I'd done the main story and explored around and there's something very zen about the constant supply runs with no fast travel so I can properly decorate my homes.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I've spent like 20 hours building Vault 88.

I was the player in the Sims who paused the game and just built houses, too.

This game should have a sharing system built in so you can explore each other's stuff easily. I know there's mods but it's not the same thing. Especially if it compiled your poo poo so that mod items were bundled.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I just found two identical people on the street having a Mexican standoff over which of them is a synth. I make a quicksave and go up to talk to them, get halfway through the conversation, and get interrupted by random raider that breaks the whole event and turns them both hostile.

I reloaded, and tried again. Same thing.

I reloaded, killed the nearby raiders, then made a new quicksave. I successfully identify the imposter. He attacks me, and in the ensuing battle I hit the real guy, and he goes hostile.

I reloaded from the new quicksave, almost finished the conversation, and ANOTHER goddamn raider shows up and breaks it.

I reloaded again, and now I can't start the conversation fast enough to stop them from fighting eachother and the event is completely ruined. Never change, Bethesda.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Restart the game. Sometimes that changes things versus a load.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It's an insignificant event anyways.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
And it repeats so you'll probably see them again in 10 hours time

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

eating only apples posted:

And it repeats so you'll probably see them again in 10 hours time

The Institute is churning them out nonstop and they all think they're the real deal. Thanks Father!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Back Hack posted:

Bethesda doesn't know what consistency and lore is.

The loving kid stuck in the fridge for 210 years.

:wtc: There are so many many things wrong with this scenario, Bethesda. Even if ghouls didn't need food and water (they do), he would be literally insane from 210 years of solitary isolation.

Also, his parents spent 210 years not looking for their kid who was a 5 minute walk away from them.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Jabarto posted:

I just found two identical people on the street having a Mexican standoff over which of them is a synth. I make a quicksave and go up to talk to them, get halfway through the conversation, and get interrupted by random raider that breaks the whole event and turns them both hostile.

I reloaded, and tried again. Same thing.

I reloaded, killed the nearby raiders, then made a new quicksave. I successfully identify the imposter. He attacks me, and in the ensuing battle I hit the real guy, and he goes hostile.

I reloaded from the new quicksave, almost finished the conversation, and ANOTHER goddamn raider shows up and breaks it.

I reloaded again, and now I can't start the conversation fast enough to stop them from fighting eachother and the event is completely ruined. Never change, Bethesda.

I bumped into those guys probably three times during my main playthrough.... and every single time I did, it was in heavily congested urban areas where I could just barely hear them, but not actually reach them. The two just keep endlessly playing out their own personal little drama.

It makes me wonder if these two have become a common sight in the Commonwealth, just one of those things all the locals are used to and don't pay attention to anymore. "Huh, Art and his synth are going at it again.... is it really Thursday already?"

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

WampaLord posted:

Also, his parents spent 210 years not looking for their kid who was a 5 minute walk away from them.

His parents who somehow live in Quincy despite the Gunners laying siege to the place in recent memory.

Really I wonder if you weren't supposed to start out near Quincy and clear it and then things got reshuffled. It'd explain why Preston runs clear across the map as soon as you get 5 settlements.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

WampaLord posted:

The loving kid stuck in the fridge for 210 years.

:wtc: There are so many many things wrong with this scenario, Bethesda. Even if ghouls didn't need food and water (they do), he would be literally insane from 210 years of solitary isolation.

If I knew the first thing about modding, I'd put a terminal with a email exchange between two Institute scientists childishly bickering about having androids play out that scenario as a social experiment. The guy who came up with the fridge kid is kind of sperg and has an over-inflated ego who think he's the next Shakespeare, while the other guy is overly nit-picky and think the whole thing is a massive waste of resources.

E: Maybe have another terminal that unlocks after accessing the first one, about another pair of scientist who are having a similar argument via email exchange about wasting Institute resources having two androids programmed to think they're both Institute scientists getting in a fight over the fridge kid scenario.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 6, 2017

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Larry Parrish posted:

The real FO4 main quest is finding out it's been 200 years from codsworth and going 'welp' and living out of the vault forever

The fact you can't set up a camp inside Vault 111, a la NEO Scavenger, is just so loving stupid. It's the SAFEST PLACE IN THE COMMONWEALTH

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

horse mans posted:

The fact you can't set up a camp inside Vault 111, a la NEO Scavenger, is just so loving stupid. It's the SAFEST PLACE IN THE COMMONWEALTH

Aside from the radroaches and the failing electrical wiring, you mean?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Glazius posted:

Aside from the shiny pets and the home improvement projects, you mean?

Especially with the settlement DLC.

Nah, Vault 111 is probably a victim of forced character motivation.

Pendevil
Jun 18, 2007
Honestly, fridge kid is just poorly written. They should have let the quest start as is. Have the back story be that the kid was just playing or scavenging and trapped himself in a fridge, as children might when they live in what amounts to a junkyard. Bounty hunter guy shows up with his proposition because the kid's family is looking for him and attracted attention. Sell him or return him to his family. Done.

Hell, have his family be a little crazy. They've been playing nuclear family for 200 years, maybe the kid was in the process of running off from his nutty parents, as he's now just a very old person in a child's body. So you get a third option of sending him somewhere else or maybe taking him in as a unique settler. Sprinkle with speech checks or violent resolutions to taste.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

dont be mean to me posted:

Especially with the settlement DLC.

You'd think that, but actually radroaches make terrible pets since they passively spit out rads at a very low level. Your settlers will be fine, but anybody who's not strictly settler faction, like visiting merchants or various faction NPCs, will think the settlement's attacking them and act appropriately.

:bethesda:

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow

horse mans posted:

One of the first events that you experience in there is a murder and a kidnapping so I don't know if it's as safe as you say it is.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

horse mans posted:

Vault 111 is tiny and wasn't meant for long-term habitation though, there's no water purifier or food production or extra rooms or anything. Frankly I'm surprised the elevator still worked.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

That would have been a short game if it didn't.

Actually, waking up from cryo with no memory of how you got there because of a side effect of the stasis process and wandering outside and suddenly stumbling into adventure would have been a nice, straightforward way to get players into the game. Most likely you would have to scrap the Sean plot and come up with some other bread crumb to drag us through the set pieces, but that's an acceptable loss. Just have the vault get raided by Gen 1s looking for parts and subjects and have them kill or kidnap some of the other cryo subjects to motivate you to defend yourself. One of them has a pip boy playable device that links you to Kellog being behind it and you start following his trail to find out what is going on, or don't.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 6, 2017

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Is their a mod for ps4 that lets you start a new game with high level, or with an old character or lots of starts to puht into whatever perks you want?

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

potaties posted:

One of the first events that you experience in there is a murder and a kidnapping so I don't know if it's as safe as you say it is.

The very first encounter in NEO Scavenger is in the Cryo facility you wake up in. After you kill the monster and escape you can come back, lay down a sleeping bag, start a fire, and use it as shelter. This isn't some crazy logical leap.

And, because I love the art, here's the cryo facility:

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow

horse mans posted:

The very first encounter in NEO Scavenger is in the Cryo facility you wake up in. After you kill the monster and escape you can come back, lay down a sleeping bag, start a fire, and use it as shelter. This isn't some crazy logical leap.

And, because I love the art, here's the cryo facility:

I'm just saying, "SAFEST PLACE IN THE COMMONWEALTH" seems too strong a descriptor after said murder and kidnapping, not even counting all the cryo death, radroaches, and electrical hazards. If you're going from a purely gameplay perspective, there's plenty of interiors that spawn without enemies.

NEO Scavenger looks cool though and now I'm mad the Steam sale ended already.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

potaties posted:

NEO Scavenger looks cool though and now I'm mad the Steam sale ended already.

Why haven't you bought this beautifully crafted goon made game.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

marshmallow creep posted:

Actually, waking up from cryo with no memory of how you got there because of a side effect of the stasis process and wandering outside and suddenly stumbling into adventure would have been a nice, straightforward way to get players into the game. Most likely you would have to scrap the Sean plot and come up with some other bread crumb to drag us through the set pieces, but that's an acceptable loss.

It's even simpler than that. Just don't play the scene with Kellogg. You wake up, the cryo has failed, your spouse was shot, your son is gone, but you have no idea how long ago that happened. Maybe the Memory Den gives you the same memory and it frightens and confuses you because you don't remember it. Once you free Nick he can get some old camera footage out of the Vault through a terminal that just spat garbage data at you, and you know what happened but, because of data corruption, not when.

horse mans posted:

Oh! I think 111 still had beds and containers in it. You probably could sleep there, though going back would be kind of a pain.

It's just that Sanctuary is right outside and the workshop tutorial, so pretty much nobody does.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

The Bananana posted:

Is their a mod for ps4 that lets you start a new game with high level, or with an old character or lots of starts to puht into whatever perks you want?

There's all kinds of cheat mods that can give you consumables that give you a bunch of xp and things like that. You can just pop a bunch of those when the game starts.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sadly, in the fallout universe, they never invented lights over 40 watts.

(I've got a mod that ups the power a bit over this but it's still not great)

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Iksnt there fluorescent lighting in the game? Like in the institute?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Add a skylight to your underground bunker

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So I know it's a cliche that Preston is always bugging you about settlements, but for some reason in my current game he...isn't. And neither is Minutemen radio. I have several settlements I want to get but no one there is talking to me and Preston is stone silent on all things besides asking if there's "time for that talk" (that we've had three times already). Is there a console command that can give me a settlement or a settlement's quest or for Preston to bring it up? I have the Castle and artillery and the last settlements I unlocked were the ones on the northeast coast.

edit: It might be related to doing the Mechanist DLC quest before he'd given all his missions? Apparently people who played more of this game than I have notice it tends to happen if you do DLCs before he's done talking giving you settlements.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 7, 2017

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

I like how you have to work with the most annoying faction in order to upgrade your clothes

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

wrong, the brotherhood is the most annoying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

hawowanlawow posted:

wrong, the brotherhood is the most annoying

Don't get me wrong, the factions are all obnoxious in this game, but the brotherhood is the most tolerable

• Locked thread