Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

In my head cannon JGR is like the Red Bull of NASCAR so I can't support any of the drivers.

Don't ask me how I came to this conclusion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Norns posted:

In my head cannon JGR is like the Red Bull of NASCAR so I can't support any of the drivers.

Don't ask me how I came to this conclusion

Gibbs is probably really far right, so you're probably not wrong here.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

It's funny they tried to get the casual viewers, yet try explaining the chase, stages, and playoff points to someone in less than 5 minutes.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

iospace posted:

Indeed. The Chase is exactly when it became painfully obvious that they were *ahem* chasing casuals. Most people who weren't into racing would probably complain "WHY DOESN'T THE PERSON WHO WIN THE MOST WIN IT ALL :byodood:" like other sports. It's by far the dumbest thing, and I will never stop making GBS threads on it.

It also unleashed JimmieBot on the world :barf:

In what other major American sports does the team that win the most games in a season win the championship? Hockey, basketball, baseball and the NFL all have playoffs and championship games that you qualify for. It's not like they go "Hey Patriots you won 16 games, so here's your Lombardi trophy", or "Hey Capitals, you're the President's cup winner so here's the Stanley Cup" loving soccer has a bajillion tournaments and poo poo where wins factor into seeding, but there's still a tournament.

The closest thing would be golf, but no one gives a poo poo about the golf season long point standings. They care about 4 or 5 tournaments and that's about it.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Maybe in all the other sports they should let the teams that were eliminated run around the field during the playoffs. Like have the browns just run around randomly while the pats and whoever else actually try to win a championship.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

big nipples big life posted:

Maybe in all the other sports they should let the teams that were eliminated run around the field during the playoffs. Like have the browns just run around randomly while the pats and whoever else actually try to win a championship.

They do that in golf.

NASCAR: It's like golf: but with cars.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I might watch ball sports if that was a thing

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

exploded mummy posted:

In what other major American sports does the team that win the most games in a season win the championship? Hockey, basketball, baseball and the NFL all have playoffs and championship games that you qualify for. It's not like they go "Hey Patriots you won 16 games, so here's your Lombardi trophy", or "Hey Capitals, you're the President's cup winner so here's the Stanley Cup" loving soccer has a bajillion tournaments and poo poo where wins factor into seeding, but there's still a tournament.

The closest thing would be golf, but no one gives a poo poo about the golf season long point standings. They care about 4 or 5 tournaments and that's about it.

The NFL until the tie between Chicago and Portsmouth in 1932
The National & American Leagues until 1968
Almost every single league outside of america that aren't baseball or basketball.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

iospace posted:

Matt Kenseth: the last true NASCAR Cup champion :colbert:

:hfive:

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

iospace posted:

Matt Kenseth: the last true NASCAR Cup champion :colbert:

Can't argue with this

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

exploded mummy posted:

They do that in golf.

NASCAR: It's like golf: but with cars.

Yeah but a mistake from a non-contending offer isn't going to knock somebody out of contention.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

As someone who knows very little about golf, I'd think rallying is the closest form of motorsport to golf.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Fauxhawk Express posted:

As someone who knows very little about golf, I'd think rallying is the closest form of motorsport to golf.

Pastrana ready to tee off on the 19th hole, 89 yards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5N7R9Wbe_E

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

iospace posted:

Indeed. The Chase is exactly when it became painfully obvious that they were *ahem* chasing casuals. Most people who weren't into racing would probably complain "WHY DOESN'T THE PERSON WHO WIN THE MOST WIN IT ALL :byodood:" like other sports. It's by far the dumbest thing, and I will never stop making GBS threads on it.

jimmie has one of the highest win rates of any driver in nascar history, he'd still be ridiculously impressive and successful regardless of whether the chase happened.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Yeah JJ would be winning no matter what point system they threw at him. Even if the point system was "give Jimmie half the points anyone else would earn" him and chad would figure out how to game it.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

The main difference in Jimmie's career is that he'd have like 4-ish championships probably.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

iospace posted:

The greatest thing Jeff Gordon ever did was give us Jimmie Johnson.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I am still mad about the 2007 season.

30 top-10s in 36 races. Jesus.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I think Cup was best when it had the No Bull 5/Winston Million kinda dictate what races were "important" on the calendar to watch. Having "Majors" in a more individualized sport really helps things. Same thing with IndyCar having the Triple Crown (RIP) and all of auto racing having the triple crown (WDC/Monaco, Indianapolis, and Le Mans).

People got angry at me for quoting Dale Jr. about Daytona, but it's very much like Indianapolis or the races I just posted. It's the most watched and most well known NASCAR race by people who are sports fans. This is dating back to the ABC WWOS days. Those are the two dates that "matter" to racing fans.

NASCAR took away that crown jewel they had, and pissed it away in favor of making races at Kansas, Chicagoland, and Texas "matter" more than any of the ones I just posted. Nobody cared about who the Cup champion was.

That's where NASCAR hosed up. They had a "Super Bowl"/"Playoff" like atmosphere every February. They pissed that away.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

exploded mummy posted:

Those are head-to-head sports, and even in "unfair" playoff tournaments, you at least have to beat the best team, or at least the team that beat the best team in a 1-on-1 fight.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

big nipples big life posted:

Yeah JJ would be winning no matter what point system they threw at him. Even if the point system was "give Jimmie half the points anyone else would earn" him and chad would figure out how to game it.

Chad is not "gaming" his way around Jeff having 30 top 10s in 2007.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Those are head-to-head sports, and even in "unfair" playoff tournaments, you at least have to beat the best team, or at least the team that beat the best team in a 1-on-1 fight.

Plus you don't have the possibility of the 27th place team in the regular season taking out/wrecking into the #1 seed during a playoff game.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Chad is not "gaming" his way around Jeff having 30 top 10s in 2007.

I didn't say he'd win every championship, my point is that the chase isn't what makes the 48 team good, they are just plain good.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/Kirt_Achenbach/status/883480013185613825

Vking?

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Norns posted:

I might watch ball sports if that was a thing

don't act like you don't watch ball sports

Bob Senneker, ASA 1982

The 66 is Rusty Wallace

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Ball PLAY and ball sports are NOT the same thing Viking

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

Why don't you all double-dribble over my balls.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/BubbaWallace/status/883480551264485381

Pro-tip.

Bubba is awesome, and gently caress people who think like this.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

VikingSkull posted:

don't act like you don't watch ball sports

Bob Senneker, ASA 1982

The 66 is Rusty Wallace

Fun fact: I lived within walking distance of the ASA headquarters when I was a kid (when they were in Indiana).

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

FuzzySkinner posted:

https://twitter.com/BubbaWallace/status/883480551264485381

Pro-tip.

Bubba is awesome, and gently caress people who think like this.

Yep

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

So all I need to do to get free hot passes is to be a piece of poo poo troll on the internet?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I guess big block mods are the undercard for the trucks race at Eldora.

of course I'm loving broke....of course....

Also what's the story behind the 4 crowns? USAC and WOO actually share an event? That sounds incredible.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

gret posted:

So all I need to do to get free hot passes is to be a piece of poo poo troll on the internet?

Sounds like I'm owed a bit.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

FuzzySkinner posted:

I guess big block mods are the undercard for the trucks race at Eldora.

of course I'm loving broke....of course....

Also what's the story behind the 4 crowns? USAC and WOO actually share an event? That sounds incredible.

the big blocks also have a race the day before the truck race that might be cheaper

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

The big blocks are the ones with the super dorky rear ends right?

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Turned on NBCSN for end of the TdF stage, saw instant caution due to poo poo start in Xfinity race, chugs alcohol, dies

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Norns posted:

The big blocks are the ones with the super dorky rear ends right?

turn on your monitor

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Brendan Gaughan is quickly becoming one of my favorite interviews in NASCAR

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

He's not wrong:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

the big blocks also have a race the day before the truck race that might be cheaper

Yeah.

I wanna see what kinda show these guys put on, considering how I see you, others speak highly of 'em

also, can we make fun of Rutlege Wood here?

https://twitter.com/GallesKraco3/status/883481996386852864

Finally got the clip to post. god what a loving annoyance this guy is.

• Locked thread