Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

The original JO crystal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Jerry Cotton posted:

A question of semantics, really. I'm sure it was intended to be a tow rope while in practice it's a tether.

e: And, of course, since English is a poo poo language perfectly incapable of unambiguity, tether can also mean a tow rope :shrug:

Ambiguity is a feature.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Jesus Christ posted:

im the dangling propane tank

What even is this?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

GotLag posted:

Ambiguity is a feature.

So is Heaven's Gate.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

BattleMaster posted:

What even is this?

Automatic bird scaring device. It sounds off every few minutes to keep birds off your grapes/fruit/whatever.

Generally they look slightly less ramshackle.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

Memento posted:

Automatic bird scaring device. It sounds off every few minutes to keep birds off your grapes/fruit/whatever.

Honestly I'm a little disappointed, I thought it was a potato cannon that had the added benefit of killing whoever stands behind the barrel to fire it.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

du -hast posted:

Honestly I'm a little disappointed, I thought it was a potato cannon that had the added benefit of killing whoever stands behind the barrel to fire it.

With some slight modification don't see why it couldn't be

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

BattleMaster posted:

What even is this?

Field testing your moms new propane/electric dildo.

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

[A MESSAGE FROM THE CLERGY]

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.
I've been watching this thread for a while and figured I'd throw in a few stories of my own work adventures in relation to OSHA.

Before recently moving to OH, I lived in FL and worked as a crime scene technician for a crime scene clean up company. The job itself is more demolision related than anything else(if an item is porous and cannot be treated with specific chemicals for killing the biohazard, we literally remove that section of wall/floor/upholstry). However, when dealing with large amounts of blood we have a special vacuum to remove the fluid. I operated this vacuum at a scene and when I asked where to put the vacuum when it's full, my boss nonchalantly informed me to just "pour it out behind the house", then cited that FL has no regulation for dumping blood. I was appalled, for obvious reasons, and wondered if that rule were true.

Nowadays, I work at a factory in OH. We fabricate metal wheels for semi trucks. We use robots for specific machine tasks and they have a fence around them to keep workers clear. If you open the fence, you have to do the whole lock out/tag out procedure. Well, some kid decided to climb over the fence for some unfathomable reason while the robot was still on. It sensed his presence as "Oh look, another wheel!" and treated him as one. The force the robot uses to lift a 70lbs wheel is not very pleasant to a human skull. I know OSHA was down the company throat for that one and we've had minimal accidents since. I'm heading to work now and I'll get a photo of my robot for reference.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
The robot killing the kid thing sounds horrifying.

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.

bobfather posted:

The robot killing the kid thing sounds horrifying.

Oh, it was. We also had an incident where a woman didn't tuck her long hair up or put it in a bun. She ended up getting it caught into a machine and it scalped her. We have a man who was an EMT in a previous career and he saved her life.

I'm dying to show the safety manager the Forklift Klaus video.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Wasabi the J posted:

On the way to deploy from Vegas to Killeen, they took my Knipex pliers wrench at McCarran.

Overall length of 6.25 inches. Just too long, could've hurt someone with that. On my flight full of soldiers. That are all getting on together. As a unit.

Yep. I lost my cheap digital calipers there when some TSA guy dug it out of my bag and held it like some kind of tactical tomahawk:

TSA tard: WHATS THIS!!! *waves measuring tool around in front of my face*

Daddio: Those are digital calipers. I use them for measuring things.

TSA tard: NGGAAHHH! YOU...you can't take this on the plane!

Daddio: That's funny, LAX let me come here with them.

TSA tard: Wha...uh...well....

Daddio: look, they cost me about ten bucks. Just toss them in the trash and I'll buy another set when I get home.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Jesus Christ posted:

The original JO crystal

It is even Biaxial in its optical properties

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

FCKGW posted:

I like this angle with the dude just casually strolling away, carrying flowers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOyvwLH1asw

Its really interesting that people see a fire in a building and don't just, like, leave. Nah, I'll push my cart around and keep shopping.

I used to work in a grocery store and our power went out one time for several hours, management wouldn't shut the doors (the registers were on generator backup along with only the biggest walk-in freezer, so I guess technically people could still shop) but people would come in and shop, be told the power was out, then complain there was no lights.

Twice the fire alarms went off and people would just walk around like nothing was happening (there was an actual fire in the deli one time) even though fire fighters were running by them.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was taught as a kid that fire doubles every minute. After seeing house fire videos I called BS. They can double every 15-20 seconds. It does eventually slow down but it gave me a healthy respect for it.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
The problem is that people aren't wired to understand exponents. They hear double and think that a candle is tiny, so that means they have nothing to worry about.

Good luck trying to get them to grasp an example, and lol at anyone sitting through the chess board rice parable

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Everybody needs to be shown the recreation of that nightclub fire at The Station. It's terrifying how fast the fire spreads and fills the room with toxic smoke.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxiOXZ55hbc

Some good links on that page to flashovers and how fast they happen.

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 7, 2017

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Everybody needs to be shown the recreation of that nightclub fire at The Station. It's terrifying how fast the fire spreads and fills the room with toxic smoke.

Ha, I was going to link a different video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr6b9b8FYKk

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

wdarkk posted:

Ha, I was going to link a different video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr6b9b8FYKk

Jesus H. Christ :catstare:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

oohhboy posted:

I was taught as a kid that fire doubles every minute. After seeing house fire videos I called BS. They can double every 15-20 seconds. It does eventually slow down but it gave me a healthy respect for it.

Interior fires spread even faster nowadays because of the large amount of synthetic materials in furniture, upholstery, curtains, pillows, etc...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDNPhq5ggoE

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Papa Emeritus III posted:

I've been watching this thread for a while and figured I'd throw in a few stories of my own work adventures in relation to OSHA.

Before recently moving to OH, I lived in FL and worked as a crime scene technician for a crime scene clean up company. The job itself is more demolision related than anything else(if an item is porous and cannot be treated with specific chemicals for killing the biohazard, we literally remove that section of wall/floor/upholstry). However, when dealing with large amounts of blood we have a special vacuum to remove the fluid. I operated this vacuum at a scene and when I asked where to put the vacuum when it's full, my boss nonchalantly informed me to just "pour it out behind the house", then cited that FL has no regulation for dumping blood. I was appalled, for obvious reasons, and wondered if that rule were true.

In case anyone else was curious, that is not true. Human blood is a potential biohazard and there are laws in Florida regulating its disposal by crime scene clean up crews.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Re: house fires https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtQNULEudss

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/QWu3yoV.mp4

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tbf, blood is a high nitrogen fertilizer, so he probably did that grass some good.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

first guy to fall did a decent job landing. The second guy, that looks like it coulda hurt.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Edit for fresher content: http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2017/07/oregon_hired_a_company_to_pain.html
"The Oregon Department of Transportation's method for vetting contractors leaves the state open to hiring companies with troubling safety records, a review by The Oregonian/OregonLive has found . . . But Oregon transportation officials who oversee contracting said they never knew of previous fall-prevention lapses by Abhe & Svoboda for one simple reason: They never asked."

A friend drove down to visit me in college, and was rather late (we're old, so this was pre cell phone). He looked haggard as hell and requested a beer the moment he walked in. I expected he got waylaid by a cattle drive, or rogue wildlife, or maybe drunk drivers. Nope.

"I got stuck behind a guy towing a cabin. That was disintegrating. On the 2 lane. ALL OF THE 2 LANE. I had to dodge falling lumber while somehow not going off the road and agh."

For context, there used to be a stretch of highway that took about an hour to drive in optimal conditions that was narrow as hell and had no passing zones. If you got stuck behind something, you were proper hosed until you hit the interstate.

Dirt Road Junglist fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 7, 2017

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.

wheatpuppy posted:

In case anyone else was curious, that is not true. Human blood is a potential biohazard and there are laws in Florida regulating its disposal by crime scene clean up crews.

I knew that she wasn't right, so I made sure to dispose of it correctly. I didn't particularly care for her work ethic. Thanks for clarifying further, though.

EDIT: On top of it being glaringly wrong in terms of potential biohazard, it just also seemed ethically wrong. The client had found their father after he was deceased for three weeks. They'd have to return to the home eventually, after we're done, assuming all was well. Then they go out the rear of the trailer and "OMFG WTF IS THIS ON THE GROUND". The idea was appalling. Even to this day, I replayed that night in my mind and I'm glad someone pointed out what my gut instinct was portraying.

Papa Emeritus III fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 7, 2017

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

spog posted:

I've been on the Channel Tunnel and it is quite airport-like at the terminals.

Horror turned to near-panic as I then discovered that I still had my Swiss Army knife in my pocket.

Trembling, I apologetically pointed this out to the security staff, expecting the rubber glove treatment.

Last time I was in Switzerland, the Asian guy in front of me was quite upset to find he couldn't take 6 Swiss Army knives on board in his hand luggage.

The pilot stuck them in his pocket and handed them back at the end of the flight.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.
Are the OSHA laws still present if you're an inmate in jail or prison?

Long story short, and without getting into too much detail, I'd been in a FL jail for passing hot checks a few years back. While incarcerated, I became a trustee. My job was to clean the hallways, deliver trays, and ensure each pod(four on our particular floor) had chemicals for cleaning.

The chemicals were vague. "Chemical Pink" was a bathroom cleaner. "Chemical Yellow" was an all purpose cleaner. "Chemical Blue" was a glass cleaner. "Chemical Green" was an air freshener that we aptly called "trees and dirt", because that's what it smelled like. We could get bleach once a week but the guards had to pour it for us and it was always severely watered down.

One day, I'm working with an inmate that I repeatedly told how the Chemical Pink may have an acid in it. She was in her early 20s and pretended to be 'from da hood' and wanted nothing to do with my warnings as she proceeded to mix a contraband bottle of bleach into a bottle of Chemical Pink. "Naw, dawg. We got dis.", she'd blow the warning off. Well... the mixture caused a very bad reactionary vapor. The girl got sick.

The guards were miffed because they had to make an incident report. I noticed that we had a MSDS folder housing thingie in our work area but the actual book was missing. Taped to it was a piece of paper informing us that if we wanted to see the Chemical ingredients, we had to go online(we had NO access to computers). Something about that just didn't seem right.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Hobnob posted:

Whenever I see this, I have to wonder about the "Others". "Here in Albuquerque, we calls it Sodie-Coke, dagnabbit!".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_for_soft_drinks_in_the_United_States#Other_names

Tonic, Soda Pop, Drink, Cold Drink, Soft Drink

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I'm guessing Chemical Pink had ammonia and that combined with the bleach to release chlorine gas.

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.

Three-Phase posted:

I'm guessing Chemical Pink had ammonia and that combined with the bleach to release chlorine gas.

That's exactly what I assumed. When I asked a supply technician about the ingredients, he only glared at me for a few moments and said "there's a mild acid". That's pretty vague. I do remember the Chemical Pink making my hands burn if I allowed it to sit too long on my skin, though. The girl ended up being fine but lost her job because she cussed out a few guards and that earned her a DR(disciplinary report. We always called them 'Durr's). I didn't particularly get along with her but we should have been educated on the chemicals.

The only "training" we received was a classification guard popping in a DVD into their desktop and we squeezed into a small office to watch an instructional video on how to properly bag a biohazard. As noted in a previous post, I know what to do with that stuff. However, we had an inmate that was incontinent and would always warn us about the various diseases she had(discreetly, she'd be like "I have HIV and Hepatitis"). We'd have to bag her used uniform in a biohazard bag, according to the video, but we never got any of those particular bags. The guards just had us toss it into regular laundry. If you had lice though.. look out! OMG BAG EVERYTHING AND SET THE JAIL ON FIRE.

On an unrelated note, whenever I see the words 'Three-Phase', I think of all the horror stories I'd been exposed to on SA's OSHA threads. Thanks.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Memento posted:

In south Jersey, that's a "crow cannon."

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

FCKGW posted:

I like this angle with the dude just casually strolling away, carrying flowers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOyvwLH1asw

Also from the fire department press release:

quote:

Firefighters were able to put the fire out before it spread to a nearby row of charcoal lighter fluid and propane bottles, McDade said.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Massive-fire-engulfs-construction-project-in-11272219.php

Federal and county arson investigators were among those trying to determine the cause of a huge blaze that destroyed a seven-story building under construction in Oakland on Friday, displacing 700 nearby residents and leading one City Council member to suggest the fire was deliberately set.

No one was injured in the predawn inferno that sent flames and smoke high above the area of downtown Oakland previously known as Auto Row.

A tall construction crane that had apparently been damaged in the fire and was swiveling out of control and in danger of collapsing caused fire officials to order the evacuation of nearby residents, many of whom were planning to spend Friday night in an emergency shelter nine blocks away.

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Some good links on that page to flashovers and how fast they happen.

No matter how many times I see documentaries on this event, I still get chills.
A few years ago, someone linked a video on here to an unedited filming of the night's events. Ironically, it was filmed by a crew sent there to document fire codes(or something related to those matters).

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Papa Emeritus III posted:

No matter how many times I see documentaries on this event, I still get chills.
A few years ago, someone linked a video on here to an unedited filming of the night's events. Ironically, it was filmed by a crew sent there to document fire codes(or something related to those matters).

By far the worst part is when the cameraman moves past a window and you can hear the screams from those trapped inside.

gently caress that fire and gently caress everyone who contributed to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

suuma posted:

Its really interesting that people see a fire in a building and don't just, like, leave. Nah, I'll push my cart around and keep shopping.

I used to work in a grocery store and our power went out one time for several hours, management wouldn't shut the doors (the registers were on generator backup along with only the biggest walk-in freezer, so I guess technically people could still shop) but people would come in and shop, be told the power was out, then complain there was no lights.

Twice the fire alarms went off and people would just walk around like nothing was happening (there was an actual fire in the deli one time) even though fire fighters were running by them.

At least five people pushed past an Underground employee in order to get onto the visibly on-fire escalator in the King's Cross fire. The power of the human mind to completely ignore things that are out of the ordinary is staggering.

Of course everything else about that fire is also staggering but the highlights are - wooden escalators with fifty years of accumulated grease and dust under them, in a tunnel that had regular >10mph gusts of wind caused by trains coming in and out, in a time when >40% of the population smoked and most of them used matches. The miracle is that it took so long to happen. We did manage to discover an entirely new fire-related phenomenon though - that a fire on an escalator, if not fought, will eventually turn into a blowtorch.