Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Yawgmoft posted:

How much am I losing out if I do Seido instead of Kyokushin? I understand that I won't get even close to the fighting experience necessary to actually be competent in a real fight for a long time, but otherwise how different is it?

It really depends on the school. If the school has a competition team, and they continue to compete (even if they don't get great results), that's a useful standard, as it means they can take students and prepare them for an environment where the only limitations are from the ruleset, and not just limitations from the coaching/instruction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I've used my Rival D3O headgear a few times in sparring now. Initial review notes:
- not really sure if the shock material is helping reduce impacts. Striking is not scientific; I can't tell my partner, wait, I'm going to put this other headgear on, now punch me exactly the same way
- it definitely feels different, though. More... ringy, like my head is vibrating more after each strike
- doesn't fit me that well. I have pretty shallow brows, and it's easy for the part over my brows to come down and prod into my eyes. Still breaking it in and tweaking the fit
- there's easier circumferential adjustment via overlapping velcro pieces in the back, so you can tune the fit a lot
- the inner lining is made of this felt type material? Absorbs a shitload of sweat, though I concede that it's feels better on the skin
- the cheek protectors are pretty far apart, so punches on my nose sting more
- it's pretty bulky around the dome of your head, so your partner will thank you if you accidentally headbutt them

mewse
May 2, 2006

"accidentally"

ElectricBlizzard
Jun 24, 2011

"I never met a monster I didn't like"

Bo Staffs!

I've recently got interested in learning how to smash and twirl a stick around, but since there isn't any place around here for miles that works with them i'd like to try to pick it up on my own for fun.
Now i've already searched in youtube for a bunch of tutorials and there are many but i was wondering if anyone else had any experience or specific videos they could recommend.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I would recommend watching combo vids of Kilik frpm Soul Calibur 2. Otherwise idk.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Sticks are kinda universal. Are you sure you don't have any of the following around?
  • Trad Japanese sword stuff
  • Wing Chun or other kung fu school
  • Italian traditional arts
  • HEMA club
  • Jogo du Pau
  • Canne de combat (might have to ask at a savate club)
  • A Dog Brothers group

ElectricBlizzard
Jun 24, 2011

"I never met a monster I didn't like"

Closest thing we have to that is a Kali group that meets once a week, but that doesn't match up with my working hours.
The other things you mentioned aren't really around my town here (central Belgium) and i'm already starting at a new gym for Muay Thai and mma 3 times a week. So not really looking to join another gym. It would've just been something fun extra for at home. But thanks for the help!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Oh, fair enough. I know you asked for video sources, but might I interest you in some rear end-old French books instead? https://hemamisfits.com/2015/05/07/the-sticks-of-joinville-what-is-french-baton/

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

While the topic is relevant I would love to hear any and all of you guys drop cool knowledge about weapon based arts. Hype your favorite ones, etc. They have always been fascinating to me.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I've a soft spot for shouty Japanese sports like naginata and jukendo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkSxqvL2iPM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0XwlWSc9oM

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

While the topic is relevant I would love to hear any and all of you guys drop cool knowledge about weapon based arts. Hype your favorite ones, etc. They have always been fascinating to me.

Kali is very fun you get to learn all the cool movie choreography, and it looks real cool when done competently at speed. Unfortunately it tends to get people who are super serious about self defense on the streetz. Who will go on at length about their cool new stick/blade/gun and pray for the day they get accosted so they can literally escalate to straight up murder people.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

So my wife and I had a baby recently, and she's starting to get really freaked out by all the weird poo poo that strangers say and do to people carrying/pushing babies. She's never had much interest in martial arts, but I think she's looking for some kind of assertiveness training? Can you guys think of any type of training that basically lets you practice basically yelling at strangers for being rude in public?

I know some self-defense courses include an element like this, but I'm not sure what search terms to use.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

So my wife and I had a baby recently, and she's starting to get really freaked out by all the weird poo poo that strangers say and do to people carrying/pushing babies. She's never had much interest in martial arts, but I think she's looking for some kind of assertiveness training? Can you guys think of any type of training that basically lets you practice basically yelling at strangers for being rude in public?

I know some self-defense courses include an element like this, but I'm not sure what search terms to use.

congrats buddy! Verbal self-defense is what you want to google. I've taken Verbal Judo at my old workplace, apparently it's a prominent communications course that is popular in North America. I'm not sure if it's overkill for your wife but you can check it out and see if there might be a seminar close to you.

http://verbaljudo.com/

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

For a cheaper approach, sign her up for FYAD.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Sam Kinison standups on repeat?

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
[Talking into my fingers like a cell phone]

Yes?
[...]
Hello! I'd like my wife to master some sort of martial dicipline?
[...]
-to wield against her social anxiety.
[...]
Yes, I'll hold. Thank you.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Update on the Rival D3O headgear-- the liner and whatever is behind it soak up a shitload of sweat. I hadn't realized the effect on weight until I accidentally picked up sometime else's regular headgear and then got my own.
On the kitchen scale, it's 22oz after I've assisted l sprayed and wiped it off. My Winning is 9oz by comparison, and 15oz for the nose bar one.

I'm done with it.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Wait, what are you people saying to your wife now that she has a baby that makes her feel weird? And is this a thing? Annoying random milfs on the street?

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Nierbo posted:

Wait, what are you people saying to your wife now that she has a baby that makes her feel weird? And is this a thing? Annoying random milfs on the street?

aaa it's a pandemic

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Get her a copy of The Gift of Fear. I feel like it's exactly what she needs to read. Much cheaper than taking courses too.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

When women are pregnant, some people take it as an invitation to go up and talk to them and sometimes touch their stomachs. Might be harmless, but sure as hell is a change of pace as far as social interactions.

One thing I read was to touch the stranger's stomach if they touched yours.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

People rude as heck, that's for sure.

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Just be rude af back. Youre pregnant- no one is gonna call you on it

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Goons, I'm a baby and my shins really hurt from kicking the bag after one week of kickboxing. Am I supposed to not kick the bag as hard as I can, or is this just pain and my shins aren't actually damaged so I should continue kicking the bag? That and my wrists kind of feel weak from punching the bag.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

OctaMurk posted:

Goons, I'm a baby and my shins really hurt from kicking the bag after one week of kickboxing. Am I supposed to not kick the bag as hard as I can, or is this just pain and my shins aren't actually damaged so I should continue kicking the bag? That and my wrists kind of feel weak from punching the bag.

Are you kicking a boxing bag or a banana bag? Because you shouldn't be kicking a boxing bag as hard as possible..

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

KildarX posted:

Are you kicking a boxing bag or a banana bag? Because you shouldn't be kicking a boxing bag as hard as possible..

I dont know what a banana bag is, but the bags at the gym are long and heavy I guess? Like man-sized bags

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

OctaMurk posted:

I dont know what a banana bag is, but the bags at the gym are long and heavy I guess? Like man-sized bags

Those are banana bags. Kicking a heavy bag for boxing hung up at regular height will have you hitting the super packed and dense padding at the bottom.
But yeah, to start out, don't kick too heavy, watch out for bruises, and focus on form and returning to stance.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

OctaMurk posted:

this is a banana bag.

Your shins should get used to it after awhile if you're kicking this and make sure your aim away from the bottom of the bag as that tends to feel like the most dense part.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Just tough it out imo and slow down if you get bruising. Is normal.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Anyone got recommendations for mma gloves? Not trying to break the bank but I still want some level of quality.

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Novum posted:

Just tough it out imo and slow down if you get bruising. Is normal.

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
If you can't kick foam how are you gonna kick someone's shins/thighs/ribs

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Thighs are so soft and delicious. Sink shins into thighs 24/7.

mewse
May 2, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

For a cheaper approach, sign her up for FYAD.

Haha very fu-

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

Yes?
[...]
[...]
[...]

Oh

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts
Anyone have input on BJJ gyms in northern Virginia? Coming from a Riberio gym so a little biased towards their affiliate in Springfield, but looking for anywhere else that might be interesting in the Alexandria/eastern NOVA section (that isn't associated with LI). The Caio Terra affiliate seems decent and I've heard good things about Pentagon MMA from muay thai types, but not sure what the scene is like up there right now. I have friends who train at 50/50 and other Vienna/Falls Church gyms, but looking towards Alexandria in particular.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

the yellow dart posted:

Anyone have input on BJJ gyms in northern Virginia? Coming from a Riberio gym so a little biased towards their affiliate in Springfield, but looking for anywhere else that might be interesting in the Alexandria/eastern NOVA section (that isn't associated with LI). The Caio Terra affiliate seems decent and I've heard good things about Pentagon MMA from muay thai types, but not sure what the scene is like up there right now. I have friends who train at 50/50 and other Vienna/Falls Church gyms, but looking towards Alexandria in particular.

I think Pedro Sauer teaches somewhere around there. I don't know much about his schools but he does a pretty educational seminar. *shrug* Dudes an old school Gracie dude that focus' on the self defense stuff.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

Yes?
[...]
[...]
[...]

This was a really sick burn, but it's a legitimate concern. It's a thing you need to practice somehow. I like to be really rude to door-to-door salesmen, charity muggers, and street preachers if they target me. That's where I get my practice in. When I was younger I'd either ignore them or gently push them away with polite nothings. If I hadn't been hassling those people for ten years, I would be an anxiety-ridden bystander-syndrome kind of guy.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Just go test drive new cars you have no intention of buying, dealers are scum on the level of real estate agents or recruiters and it's fun treating them like dogshit while refusing their questioning and sales pitch.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Don't do any of that. Be a nice person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

KildarX posted:

I think Pedro Sauer teaches somewhere around there. I don't know much about his schools but he does a pretty educational seminar. *shrug* Dudes an old school Gracie dude that focus' on the self defense stuff.

Pedro Sauer is one of the greatest.