Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

a false posted:

yeah as much as i like lias andersson as a prospect i would've liked pettersson to fall to the rangers. he's going to be good

Rumor was they really liked him and were hoping he'd fall to #7

Though it's funny, Anderson technically had better stats than Pettersson but I think everyone is just worried his upside isn't as high partly because he's not that flashy. Will be interesting to see how it pans out. He's also probably older than Pettersson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Kilza posted:

:siren: The Oilers signed an NHL UFA! :siren:

https://twitter.com/EdmontonOilers/status/883347899811217414

Really happy with this. :toot:

Hell, I'd have cheered him coming back at twice that price so that's a good deal for the Oilers

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Levitate posted:

Kevin Klein officially retired from the NHL

Farewell. He was great for the Rangers, I wish him well in Europe. He was a really tough defender for the Rangers, but he also showed some great skating and hands, I hope he finds a league where the game is a bit less grinding and he gets to show off those skills some more.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I thought Jokinen has been trending downward pretty bad recently?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Zodijackylite posted:

Farewell. He was great for the Rangers, I wish him well in Europe. He was a really tough defender for the Rangers, but he also showed some great skating and hands, I hope he finds a league where the game is a bit less grinding and he gets to show off those skills some more.

I was at this game and it was my mom's first live hockey game (she's a die hard Rangers fan). I always remember Klein's game winner :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzMSg2sreQY

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Levitate posted:

He was really unlucky last year shooting percentage wise

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Kilza posted:

:siren: The Oilers signed an NHL UFA! :siren:

https://twitter.com/EdmontonOilers/status/883347899811217414

Really happy with this. :toot:

I'd have been happier about this than Ales Hemsky.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Levitate posted:

He's not a bad risk to take because he offers forward depth and it's only a 1 year deal. They probably gave him like, 1.5M or something, seems like a low risk high reward sitch

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
its 1.1m apparently

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Chad Sexington posted:

Yeah Game 7 of the Pens-Caps series was won almost exclusively by his coaching. (Or lost by Trotz's, depending on how you look at things.)

That was the game the Pens realized they could use the middle of the ice instead of just the boards and the Caps were completely flummoxed by it since their possession game was predicated by aggressive pinching down the boards all series.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Barry Trotz is secretly a bad coach

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I think when you get to the playoffs, a coach's ability to adjust and not be too conservative can make a huge difference. Trotz seems to be a good coach who tends towards being conservative when things get tough. Good teams in the NHL now can punish you for being too conservative

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/HeleneStJames/status/883373619350568961

this is sort of what i was afraid of

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Levitate posted:

I think when you get to the playoffs, a coach's ability to adjust and not be too conservative can make a huge difference. Trotz seems to be a good coach who tends towards being conservative when things get tough. Good teams in the NHL now can punish you for being too conservative

Bylsma was the worst at adjustments. They would play stretch pass hockey to the death and if didn't work it was because the Pens didn't "get to their game".

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Ginette Reno posted:

Bylsma was the worst at adjustments. They would play stretch pass hockey to the death and if didn't work it was because the Pens didn't "get to their game".

i mean I think it can be a tough thing, especially in game adjustments, because if you plan and practice for one thing and then have to try to change that on the fly it's not always easy. And also sometimes you don't want to change what you're doing just because another team is trying to get you to do so (at least IMO) So, it's a bit of analysis about what is happening and how to deal with it, but repeatedly beating your head against a wall p robably isnt a good idea

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Looks like the AHL is officially expanding to 31 teams starting in 18-19. It seems obvious Colorado will be bringing their ECHL affiliate up, leaving San Antonio available for the Blues to partner with.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Levitate posted:

i mean I think it can be a tough thing, especially in game adjustments, because if you plan and practice for one thing and then have to try to change that on the fly it's not always easy. And also sometimes you don't want to change what you're doing just because another team is trying to get you to do so (at least IMO) So, it's a bit of analysis about what is happening and how to deal with it, but repeatedly beating your head against a wall p robably isnt a good idea

Well yeah but there are certainly situations where it is warranted. Sullivan clearly had the Pens adjust their breakout for game 7 and it worked to perfection.

Or maybe I'm giving him too much credit and the Pens just found it within themselves to actually not break the puck out horribly for one game that series. Coaches probably get too much credit when they're winning and too much blame when they're losing.

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS

Mike_V posted:

Looks like the AHL is officially expanding to 31 teams starting in 18-19. It seems obvious Colorado will be bringing their ECHL affiliate up, leaving San Antonio available for the Blues to partner with.

poo poo yes! I've been an Eagles fan for a while since they've been in the CHL. Really happy they're able to move up. Went to see them last month when they won the Kelly Cup.

Good day. :)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Levitate posted:

Actually it's just the Penguins that do that

e: punish you for being over-conservative, I mean

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/CapFriendly/status/883501317599186945

Look at all that sweet signing bonus money.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
I think you mean signing bouns

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Infidel Castro posted:

Other things/people hockey SAS likes:

Hal Gill

No gently caress that guy he sucked.

“I don’t like [PK Subban]. I think on the ice, he’s a piece of garbage. Perceived as like a hot shot, this guy thinks he’s better than everybody," - John Scott. Nope, he sucks too. He's no Rory Fitzpatrick.

Infidel Castro posted:

Ron Maclean's look of contempt for Don Cherry's opinions

Yes, but more along the lines of Ron dancing shirtless on top of Don's grave.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

eXXon posted:

Yes, but more along the lines of Ron dancing shirtless on top of Don's grave.

we all know how its going to end when don finally kicks it

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Juice is going to score between 35-50 points for the Oilers if not injured.

I mean further, his knees are always hosed up.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I would definitely take Juicy Jokes for 1/6 of the price of a Marleau Patty.

Any of you nerds want to join a online (freeware) EHM league? We need a couple of GMs. PM me if you are.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Also isn't RNG the suck at the faceoff circle despite playing center, so Jokinen can do draws if on the same line.

Anyway good übercheap signing, Juice can play any role from 4th line center to 1st like LW and won't complain.

Juice is actually a close relative to my girlfriend so I'm more interested than usual about this move :haw:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Jokinen is a good signing at that price. Probably Chiarelli's best move in a while.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
The Jets have literally zero need for more wingers but I'd still take Jussi at that price. A second line winger for 1m is a loving steal

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The Sabres signed Johan Larsson for two years at 1.475 per. He isn't worth that, he maybe could be great but he is kinda lazy then likes to bitch about how he doesn't get more minutes. Maybe some day he will mature into a great player, but I don't have my hopes up.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Also wow, Florida really is desperate to undo everything from last summer.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

1.5 is fine for a bottom six energy guy with this cap

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bizarre deformity posted:

The Sabres signed Johan Larsson for two years at 1.475 per. He isn't worth that, he maybe could be great but he is kinda lazy then likes to bitch about how he doesn't get more minutes. Maybe some day he will mature into a great player, but I don't have my hopes up.

lol what? He's a solid 3C

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

JollyPubJerk posted:

lol what? He's a solid 3C

Maybe if he didn't bitch about getting third line minutes and accepted it or proved he was worth more minutes I would like him, but right now he mostly just annoys me.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bizarre deformity posted:

Maybe if he didn't bitch about getting third line minutes and accepted it or proved he was worth more minutes I would like him, but right now he mostly just annoys me.

Has he bitched since 2 seasons ago?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/PKSubban1/status/883386811430645760

:unsmith:

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Resign Markov please.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Suspicious posted:

Resign Markov please.

A hyphen is important here in communicating your intent.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

JollyPubJerk posted:

Has he bitched since 2 seasons ago?

I think he was injured most of last season I think? He only played 36 games.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Vlad took a moment away from G20 to give Ovie a call to congratulate him on his wedding day.

It looked super Russian and had a ballet interlude, a Kovalchuk, and a Tarasenko.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It also invaded and occupied a nearby smaller wedding.

• Locked thread