Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Schwarzwald posted:

What's the best way to watch Amazons?

Right now, torrents are the only way if you live in the US.

Supposedly it was going to be brought to other countries through Amazon Prime, but they haven't done that yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Burkion posted:

Really the reason why people rag on Chihiro is just because of the Iyu thing, and it's clearly a character flaw. A GOOD one. He is so desperate to have something in his life that neither wants to kill him, or he wants to kill, that he settles on a corpse being propped up as a weapon. I don't think anyone actually dislikes Chihiro- he's a great character, especially when we learned what his deal was. He was only sort of annoying at the start before we got the details on who he really is.

This is how I feel about Chihiro. As much as I call him an idiot, I don't think he's a bad character. It just was sometimes frustrating to see reality attempt to beat him upside his thick head and him not pay any attention to it.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Does anyone know where I can get an HD copy of Kyuranger #9? Nysa.si only has SD copies.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

Craptacular! posted:

Does anyone know where I can get an HD copy of Kyuranger #9? Nysa.si only has SD copies.

Check the comments in Kyuranger #9's post on O-time's website.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Having never watched Dekaranger or Gavan before, I decided to go ahead and watch Episode Zero of Dekaranger vs. Gavan. It was...sort of okay I guess. I liked the parts when it was Dekaranger anyway.

The whole "Let's put all these women in situations where they're brutally murdered repeatedly for reasons they don't understand" part sure was a thing.

Twelve by Pies fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 5, 2017

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Good Lord, the preview for the new Ex-Aid may be the most intense thing I've seen in a Rider show, outside of Amazonz (including Amazonz?) I am incredibly hype for the next episode.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

"Oh man, you have to see this new Kamen Rider show. In the latest episode, there's this guy who's dying and a former good guy, who betrayed the main character and now works for the main bad guy, is the only one that can save him, but the bad guy is holding the former good guy's girlfriend hostage to force him to botch the surgery!"

"Cool! What's it about?"

"Video games."

"..."

"One of the characters can turn into a motorcycle!"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

One Punch Man's Yusuke Murata did promo work for the JP release of Power Rangers and it's about the only good thing to come from this movie.

https://twitter.com/powerrangersjp/status/882721158839193600

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think Jin is a good character but I do not find him to be sympathetic in the least. Dude is an absolute monster and he made himself that way.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
loving

Those are just awful looking designs. The only one coming close to good is Alpha. Jesus Christ the tit armor on the girls. Why would you do that? We know they're girls. We can see their faces 90% of the time because you're loving insecure about people not understanding the characters are still there while wearing a helmet. They did not need to have boob armor.

Though one thing I do appreciate about that poster- Zack does as little there as he does in the movie. He technically exists, somewhere, behind everyone.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I mean, you can't pin the designs on Murata. He's making them look the best he can.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Waffleman_ posted:

I mean, you can't pin the designs on Murata. He's making them look the best he can.

Oh I know. This is just further proof that they were stillborn since even Murata can't do poo poo with them.

It does not help anything that they're so complicated for no good reason. Makes trying to do them in anything other than a live action movie or CGI thing a pain in the rear end.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Saw this and it's too good not to share:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I wish there had been more Dekaranger and less Gavan in Gavan vs. Dekaranger.

It was still good. It's kind of a shame they couldn't do much of anything with the mecha due to the suit being long gone, so the best they can do is a short CG thing since it would look kind of terrible and be expensive to do a full CG mecha fight. I mean, it would be cool if they could just store the suits somewhere so they could pull them out for things like this, but I know storage space isn't unlimited and upkeep isn't free. It's a shame, I just still wish they could do it.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Burkion posted:

It does not help anything that they're so complicated for no good reason. Makes trying to do them in anything other than a live action movie or CGI thing a pain in the rear end.

They had a guy in a red costume at the JP premiere and it looked alright.

The un-CGIed costumes from the set photos looked okay enough. Kind of rough textured fabric material with plastic accent pieces and a chest piece that had that checkerboard "CGI GOES HERE" mapping for the weird nova-star effect.

It's the movie CGI that kills em, because they're being made to look like they were dipped in crisco.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Craptacular! posted:

They had a guy in a red costume at the JP premiere and it looked alright.

The un-CGIed costumes from the set photos looked okay enough. Kind of rough textured fabric material with plastic accent pieces and a chest piece that had that checkerboard "CGI GOES HERE" mapping for the weird nova-star effect.

It's the movie CGI that kills em, because they're being made to look like they were dipped in crisco.

I still dislike the design of the helmets, the mouths in particular are ugly as sin, but I can largely agree with this.

I don't know why they slathered so much CGI on them in the film. But then I guess I can't be surprised.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Twelve by Pies posted:

I wish there had been more Dekaranger and less Gavan in Gavan vs. Dekaranger.

It was still good. It's kind of a shame they couldn't do much of anything with the mecha due to the suit being long gone, so the best they can do is a short CG thing since it would look kind of terrible and be expensive to do a full CG mecha fight. I mean, it would be cool if they could just store the suits somewhere so they could pull them out for things like this, but I know storage space isn't unlimited and upkeep isn't free. It's a shame, I just still wish they could do it.

See, I was actually glad for how it turned out. Sakamoto's movies with Toei have a history of ending on a bombastic CG note, but since it's a movie for a Toei Sunday morning tokusats franchise, it always looks like dookie. He even feels the need to shoehorn that nonsense into the Rider movies he's directed.

So I was a little relieved when instead of a bunch of PS2 era gameplay footage in HD, we just got a cute Shaider reference

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Burkion posted:

I still dislike the design of the helmets, the mouths in particular are ugly as sin, but I can largely agree with this.

I don't know why they slathered so much CGI on them in the film. But then I guess I can't be surprised.
To be more specific...

Actual movie-set impromptu photo:

JP premiere cosplay guy

They look okay, but these suits would obviously be busted up beyond repair filming a 50 episode TV season.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
it's really kind of funny that the had to do so much detailing on everything and make it look like something the audience could believe is real alien tech and all that, like not even having the helmets look like dinosaurs or the dinosaurs themselves look like dinosaurs

except the fake mouths are just the way they always were

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Hemingway To Go! posted:

it's really kind of funny that the had to do so much detailing on everything and make it look like something the audience could believe is real alien tech and all that, like not even having the helmets look like dinosaurs or the dinosaurs themselves look like dinosaurs

except the fake mouths are just the way they always were

no now they're more frowny

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The best part of the movie was the 10 seconds the original theme played and I could pretend I was watching a movie made by someone who cares.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Which was immediately undercut by having Billy go backwards because funny, while calling out the fact that he was going backwards because this is a film that is afraid of having any kind of sincere moment.

But to be fair to it, that's a lot of movies nowadays. I'm really tired of self conscious nerd films. Just embrace what you are and let the big moments happen. It's a trend I hope dies soon

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Even if the movie is not good, I appreciate Billy and the autistic representation he provided. Love that little guy.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
No, see, that's the saddest thing.

The human stuff was fine, except for Zack getting nothing to do.

Jason and Billy's love story was the best. Just any time the movie did anything Power Rangers related, it poo poo itself super hard.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Rita Repulsa eating a Krispy Kreme was also very good.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
I feel like Guardians of the Galaxy proved that audiences are prepared for a silly tone so long as you have the emotional base and good writing to pull it off. Instead Power Rangers is split between the Chronicle vibes for the first half and the camp Rita stuff in the second half, and it just doesn't gel. I liked it, but I get why other people don't.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
In other news

http://tokusatsunetwork.com/2017/07/ultraman-geed-coming-crunchyroll/

Yee! Now if only anyone would have subbed Ultraman Orb Origins

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Speaking of which I saw Ultraman: The Complete Series at Wal-Mart for 20 bucks and bought it. Was this a good decision?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Twelve by Pies posted:

Speaking of which I saw Ultraman: The Complete Series at Wal-Mart for 20 bucks and bought it. Was this a good decision?

Yes.

Maybe don't try to marathon it, but if you like kaiju stories, this has some stellar ones

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/883498271200526336

:toot:

e: one more!

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/883498356726652930

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Burkion posted:

In other news

http://tokusatsunetwork.com/2017/07/ultraman-geed-coming-crunchyroll/

Yee! Now if only anyone would have subbed Ultraman Orb Origins

It's weird that Amazon still hasn't released that, especially seeing how more and more Ultra stuff is showing up on other streaming services. Maybe they don't know if they want to dilute their lovely Anime Strike brand with live action? In any case, the fact that it's still Japan only and Japanese only makes me doubt anyone who thinks that "Amazon Riders" is ever going to be a thing.

The Skeep
Sep 15, 2007

That Chicken sure loves to drum...sticks
Watched the first episode of Geed. Burkion, as the resident UltraFan™ I was wondering if you could answer a question I have (ep 1 spoilers)

has ultra-men being able to have children always been a thing? I allways assumed they were just cosmic beings made of literal light and the concept of justice. with the mother and father of ultra being the top of the hierarchy.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

The Skeep posted:

Watched the first episode of Geed. Burkion, as the resident UltraFan™ I was wondering if you could answer a question I have (ep 1 spoilers)

has ultra-men being able to have children always been a thing? I allways assumed they were just cosmic beings made of literal light and the concept of justice. with the mother and father of ultra being the top of the hierarchy.

As I just watched the movie Mega Monster Battle Ultra Galaxy Legend - gods, what a title - I can answer this!

Yerp. Ultraman are apparently alien-humans who were turned into cosmic beings made of light through their spark energy thingy, and - yes. Ultraman Zero is the son of UltraSeven, and there are other relatives floating around out there. No mention as to who's the mom, though, or if these aliens reproduce through budding or whatever.

Not really a spoiler, but heyo.

Also, a friend on twitter has a helpful tweet chain on what to watch before Geed, although ep 0 is a good cliffnotes.

https://twitter.com/SunglassPri/status/883524317681766400

https://twitter.com/SunglassPri/status/883380245507829761

(I'm gonna watch Return of Belial tonight!)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The Skeep posted:

You don't have to spoil this- the fact that he's a certain some one's child has been part of the marketing. But to answer the question

The main Ultramen, the ones you are thinking of, from the original Universe have always been formerly human-like aliens. Their star died, so they created a new artificial sun to save them, which mutated them into the beings of light we know them as now. However, don't get this mistaken- they're more like Superman than, say, Captain Atom.

They have biology, muscle, bone, organs. They're just extremely alien and different, with energy instead of blood. They've also always been able to have kids, and family has been a story element since, at the earliest, Ultraman Ace in 1972, since Ace is regarded as the adopted son of Ultra Father and Ultra Mother. Taroh is their actual son, introduced a year later.

And of course Ultraman Zero is the son of UltraSeven. They all have family trees as well. We even see Taroh as a child in certain specials, and in the Ultra Galaxy movie, we see baby Ultra beings with their parents.

Ultra Father isn't in charge of the entire race either, nor is Mother. That would be Ultraman King. Ken and Mary, their actual names, are just the leaders of the Space Garrison and Silver Cross. The Space Garrison are warrior class Ultramen who fight for the peace and survival of the universe, while the Silver Cross are healers and miracle makers.

Ultraman King is the oldest Ultraman of that universe, though not over all, and might be the first Ultraman. He's near about a deity.

Ultraman Noa is the eldest Ultraman of all, and is straight up a deity. He's Ultraman God. He, along with a few others, are what you think of more so- energy beings detached from any kind of humanity. Noa is also a trans-dimensional entity, going where he is needed.

This all only applies to the original Ultramen and their universe, which includes Geed. Geed hails from the original universe, though where he currently is is NOT that universe.

The universe he's currently in is likely a parallel one, without its own native Land of Light or Ultramen equivalents.

We see similar universes in Ginga, X and Orb, and they've been around since Ultraman Neos, Tiga and Gaia.

The Ultramen of the original universe are just able to cross universes when need be, which is likely what happened at the beginning of Geed. UltraSeven has a history of it, and his son Zero made a career of doing it.

Ultraman is pretty explicit about everything being canon, just that there are also an infinite number of universes and realities out there to contend with and try and protect. Some universes have their own version of Ultramen there- Tiga had them as lovecraftian entities that rebelled and became heroic figures. Gaia had them as manifestations of the Earth's own power to protect itself.

And with those universes, some times multiple versions of the same Ultra heroes can be around. Two different Dynas exist and have met Ultraman Zero, and we're looking at something close to three or four UltraSevens across the multiverse, depending on which one went to the parallel earth in UltraSeven X.

EDIT: To answer one question ahead of time- Ultraman Zero's mom is a scientist who is apparently still alive, though very much not in favor of UltraSeven or his work.

Zero is 4000 years old, quite young for an Ultraman, but did not learn who his father was until he was in his 4000s, in the Ultra Galaxy movie. If one had to guess, looking at Hikari as a good example of what Science Ultras are like, his mother did not approve of UltraSeven's way of life or violent tendencies and their relationship obviously did not fare too well. So Seven staid out of Zero's life and allowed her to raise him as she wished.

Scientist Ultras are non violent by nature, wishing to study the universe and explore, or to stay at the Land of Light and do research. This would lead to a schism with Seven, who was originally a cartographer who was almost never at their home world. That is a fun detail about Seven- he did not join the Space Garrison until well after his stint on Earth the first go around, likely being made an honorary member after his superior kicked him out for disobeying orders. He is definitely one of the leaders of it NOW, but in his original series, he had no relation to them.

Burkion fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jul 9, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Burkion posted:

And with those universes, some times multiple versions of the same Ultra heroes can be around. Two different Dynas exist and have met Ultraman Zero, and we're looking at something close to three or four UltraSevens across the multiverse, depending on which one went to the parallel earth in UltraSeven X.

Oh my god no one needs this many Sevens

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

StrixNebulosa posted:

Oh my god no one needs this many Sevens

I also tackled who Zero's mom is with an edit, so be sure to read up on that!

But yeah, we have Original UltraSeven- who is in his own stand alone universe set chronologically before Ultraman. (1987 VS 1990) His universe is gone into again in the 90s and early 2000s in Heisei UltraSeven and UltraSeven Evolution.

We have Ultra Brothers Seven, whose stint is retconned to have happened in 1967 when it aired, and he's the one that does all the cross overs with the other Ultra Brothers in the 70s and 2000s to the modern day, presumably including the recent cross over stuff with Ginga, Orb and the like.

UltraSeven X features AN UltraSeven crossing over into a universe without Ultramen, but they do not make it clear which one. It is likely the Original, as he has no back up, and he is met by Anne when he returns home, though it could also be the Ultra Brothers iteration, or a new one all together.

And finally, definitively, we have the Superior 8 Ultra Brothers version, who was an AU Dan Moroboshi who realized he had the power of UltraSeven.

This is not counting any and all Manga versions because we'd be here a while.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Also a general update on the toku I'm watching, because why not. I've had a bit of a lull as my mood took me away into videogames and didn't let me watch anything for a while, but -

Kamen Rider W keeps throwing me off? I guess I haven't been in the mood for its brand of humor lately, but it's not keeping me on at the moment. I'm on episode 15 and not really invested in anything, so I've set it to the side for now. (Shotaro has been rude to Wakana, the villains have been kind of blandly villain-ing around, the cases are very light and uninteresting, and it's just, ergh. I hear it gets better but this sequence has been really, really frustrating to watch - which is maddening, as I like Philip! I love the Rider design! But...the rest of the show keeps losing me. I may not be cut out for the lighter modern shows. :( )

Kamen Rider Ryuki has been interesting but I haven't yet hit a mood to marathon it so I'm still only three eps in - but it's working better than W, if only because there's more weight to the plot so far. And I love, love the horror elements!

Bioman: comfort food, the Sentai show. I am digging it, even if I'm going slowly thanks to the drought. Same deal with Return of Ultraman, although I don't like its human-focused drama as much, so... :shrug:

What I have been watching is that Ultraman movie and now the Revenge of Belial - these movies are extremely my jam, like superhero movies but with more cosmic space stuff that I just eat up with a spoon! :D I adore Belial and Zero's design, the kaiju fights were tons of fun, and I'm suddenly hyped to go watch Geed and Nexus and Gaia and -

...We'll see what I watch, but I suddenly want to stuff myself with unlimited Ultra stuff because hello aliens!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The cosmic fuckery really kicks in come Ultraman Ace, for the franchise.

That's the one where we have Yapool, the undying horror born of negative emotion, send his SUPER KAIJU to kill and slaughter all who oppose him, and we get some bat poo poo fun space stuff with Ace Killer and other nonsense. Taro is a bit of a step backwards but you can say that about a lot of Taro.

Zero is good for scratching that itch though. All of his movies involve alternate reality shenanigans, and its how he pops up in X's universe for a short time.

EDIT: I really should say

Having seen the first episode of Ultraman GEED http://www.crunchyroll.com/ultraman-geed/episode-1-welcome-to-the-secret-base-741857 which you can watch here

I am really digging it. On the surface, Geed the character is a lot sillier than Orb was, but when you pay attention you notice that his universe is much more foreboding and he doesn't have the comic relief squad to try and liven things up out the gate.

Foreboding is a good term for Geed in general. The music, the effects, the tone. The best thing is him using his finisher against the monster with happy heroic music playing all the while His finisher is very clearly using and letting off evil energy, giving it a very sinister design and feel

His robot ship helper is also wonderfully unsettling and creepy in very understated ways.

I hope they keep this up.

Burkion fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jul 9, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

A decent start (though I'm not sure how I feel about them using what's basically the same gimmick two seasons in a row), this show definitely has potential. Do we know what Geed's total episode count is going to be yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/nippon_en/status/884274007578558464

Happy Ultraman day! I'm celebrating by watching a lot of Ultraman stuff and enjoying the ridiculous aliens who live for justice and fighting 50ft tall monsters.

Today I finished up the Revenge of Belial movie (it was good but not as fun as the earlier one), and watched the first eps of Geed and Gaia and I'm very happy to say that Geed's opening was fun and ominous and I'm ready for more.

Gaia meanwhile was, ehh. It felt formula in a non-compelling way? But hell, UltraSeven's first episode was outstandingly terrible too, so who knows. I might do the second ep here soon. (Or I might give in and watch Nexus - but no promises!)

But Geed! I finally have an ongoing toku show that's captured my heart - I assume it's a week to week production, right? I don't have to wait like a month inbetween episodes, right? I do enough of that for comics!

• Locked thread