Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

lol by the time av1 launches, nothing will be able to run it because battery life more important than bits right now

by the time hardware av1 support is out google will move to another standard because NO THIS ONE WILL BE BETTER I PROMIS

MPEG-LA worth a gillion

MPEG-LA bes at watching 1990s videos

MPEG-LA ssim is off the chart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
counterpoint: monty will release the daala. in av1 form

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
http://www.cnbc.com/2017/07/07/red-hydrogen-smartphone-launch-holographic-media-machine.html

quote:

Red, a company that makes high-end cameras to shoot blockbuster films, has launched an expensive smartphone which it is billing as the "world's first holographic media machine".

The Hydrogen One smartphone has a 5.7 inch holographic display and runs Google's Android mobile operating system. According to a press release by Red, the handset's screen can "seamlessly" switch between traditional 2-D content and holographic 3-D content such as games.

...that's a pivot

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Wheany posted:

counterpoint: monty will release the daala. in av1 form
nah all he does nowadays is mess with laser cutters and build custom LED backlight mod kits for old thinkpads

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Wheany posted:

i bet as soon as the av1 bitstream gets finalized, google will add support to chrome and will start pushing av1 videos on youtube to browsers that support it.

i don't know if http streaming apis have evolved to the point where they can differentiate between "supports this format" and "can decode the format but not smoothly at this resolution", because that was definitely a problem with my then-current computer and 1080p60 vp9 on youtube

has been for a while https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/VideoPlaybackQuality

but who knows if it works right on your special snowflake combination of browser-patch-level+os-patch-level - the only way to be sure would be hand-rolling a video player with a canvas and measuring time between rendered frames

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Wheany posted:

oh yeah and i read about color spaces and this fukken chart:

see those numbers along the edge of the "horse shoe"?

those are the wavelengths of monochromatic light at that point. it's physically impossible to go outside that colored area. like i thought that maybe we just don't have good enough leds or whatever to make a monitor that uses some kind of "hyper RGB" primaries to show the whole color gamut.

because our imperfect meatbag eyes have cone cells that respond to light wavelenghts like this:

to go "outside the horse shoe", there would have to be a color that stimulates the red cone and "negatively stimulates" the green one, for example. in the xyz color space the math works and you can use physically impossible colors (that horse shoe graph shows an x-y plane)

so to even completely fill the horseshoe you would either need a magic display that somehow emits x,y, and z as primary colors, or infinitely many primary colours, right? so like with any 3 physically possible primary colours, you're limited to a triangle within the horseshoe

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

DuckConference posted:

so like with any 3 physically possible primary colours, you're limited to a triangle within the horseshoe

yep.

but you could get pretty good coverage with like 5 primaries, because you can express any color inside any triangle with a ratio of its points.

it works in higher dimensions too. if you have tetrahedron of colors, you can express any color inside the tetrahedron with the ratio (barycentric coordinates) of the points.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

didn't some company (lucky goldstar I think?) have a whole thing with george takei advertising TVs with 4 primary colours

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

DuckConference posted:

didn't some company (lucky goldstar I think?) have a whole thing with george takei advertising TVs with 4 primary colours

yeah. but where does the signal for that yellow pixel come from? 🤔

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

quote:

Color researchers at Queen Mary University of London investigated the Quattron technology and found that although Quattron does have four physical color sub-pixels it does not have a fourth primary in the backlight to drive it (yellow is approximately 575 nm). In other words, Quattron has a yellow sub-pixel to let light through, but the manufacturer has not made any provision to produce the yellow light needed to pass through it. (The yellow subpixel merely lets through more red and green light.) On that basis they conclude that it serves no useful function.[11]
lmao

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

imagine if they mastered the donald trump piss tape for quattron displays.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

pagancow posted:

lol by the time av1 launches, nothing will be able to run it because battery life more important than bits right now

by the time hardware av1 support is out google will move to another standard because NO THIS ONE WILL BE BETTER I PROMIS

MPEG-LA worth a gillion

MPEG-LA bes at watching 1990s videos

MPEG-LA ssim is off the chart

sad

Guacamayo
Feb 2, 2012
What should I use instead of VLC?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Guacamayo posted:

What should I use instead of VLC?

encode everything in h.263 and use god's true player, the realmedia player

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Bona note: h.265 is way more than 2 better than h.263

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

akadajet posted:

imagine if they mastered the donald trump piss tape for quattron displays.

~Takei voice~ ohh my

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

i guess the chance AV1 could get challenged on top of the hardware support inertia is also going to deter adoption; bamtech is the tech arm of mlb that powers streaming for mlb.tv, hbo now, nhl, wwe, etc.

http://www.fiercecable.com/broadcasting/mlbam-cto-wary-open-source-video-codecs

quote:

NEW YORK—Joe Inzerillo, executive vice president and CTO for BAMTech, urged caution with open-source video codecs.

Inzerillo said open-source codecs are “really tough” because on one hand, they’re royalty-free, but on the other, none have been tested, meaning they could result in a lawsuit if they’re eventually found to infringe. He added that becoming embroiled in a lawsuit could be more expensive than licensing a codec like HEVC.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Crusader posted:

i guess the chance AV1 could get challenged on top of the hardware support inertia is also going to deter adoption; bamtech is the tech arm of mlb that powers streaming for mlb.tv, hbo now, nhl, wwe, etc.

http://www.fiercecable.com/broadcasting/mlbam-cto-wary-open-source-video-codecs

how many h.265 patents do they own?

and vp8 (or 9?) had some people come forth and try to challenge it. i don't think anything came of it.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 8, 2017

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
Option A
here's this codec which costs x dollars to use and has hardware support so customers can watch for an extended amount of time and view more ads

Option B
here's a codec which costs $0 but might cost 2x possibly more, and requires a development cost of >$0 to support oh and might have hardware support in like 4 years

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
we'll take option b because x is a very large number, and who the gently caress cares about the customer's battery life, they will just complain to the device's manufacturer. also it lowers our bandwidth costs by y%

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

DuckConference posted:

so to even completely fill the horseshoe you would either need a magic display that somehow emits x,y, and z as primary colors, or infinitely many primary colours, right? so like with any 3 physically possible primary colours, you're limited to a triangle within the horseshoe

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impossible_color

you can set primaries in xyz space beyond visible colors and just never map RGB values in those spaces, so a color space could theoretically support those colors in the visible spectrum, but the actual practice of re-producing those colors seems not likely in any sort of cheap display

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Jimmy Carter posted:

Option A
here's this codec which costs x dollars to use and has hardware support so customers can watch for an extended amount of time and view more ads

Option B
here's a codec which costs $0 but might cost 2x possibly more, and requires a development cost of >$0 to support oh and might have hardware support in like 4 years

option c, get the RGB master from the production company because you need to make first generation encodes

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

like why would you ever make a second generation encode ever?

lol if u aren't shooting in some sort of RAW or RGB codec

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

all encoding tests that encode non RGB data are invalid because its not how non pirates use it

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

GUYS THIS CODEC IS WAY BETER AT MAKING LINUX ISOS SO NOW I CAN BUY ANOTHER 4TB HARD DRIVE

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

lol if your direct attach storage doesn't do at least 600megabytes a second and isn't at least 20TB in size (base 2 motherfuckassss)

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

also stop asking what PC media player is the best, its a trick question none of them are good because theree isn't proper native 12-bpc dolby vision support in any PC get a multi thousand dollar player that can do it with the proper metadata + a dolby monitor u scrub

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

No, I don't want no scrub
A scrub is a guy that can't get no UHD
Hanging with his 8 bit pirate
Of his best friend's TN ride
Trying to stream TV

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

h265 is the future and heres why

google made vp9, pushed the largest video sharing service to use it, and they still cant get any meaningful adoption even when patent holders are afraid to sue them.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

so when it comes to making sure only the finest bits grace your eyes, its 12 bit, dolby vision encoded HEVC thats 100+ megabits

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

that means 16-bit log masters from cameras that can do some 16+ stops DR. get hosed canon 14 stop havers

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

lol if u have to look at an sRGB screen ever just like omg what are u doing just turn off the pc and go look outside at REAL COLORS

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

also if you see raised blacks just 360 close your eyes, and knock over all DVDs and cats on your couch because get that poo poo outa here

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

in the words of our great fishmech YVCPOS is not about close enough

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

they finally finalized a standard thats not from 1996 and y'all be like "aaah lets not do that because the old way of what an average CRT could do in the 90s is good enough"

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

just get the HEVC, the dalla is never coming, and av1 will come when h265 has dunked all over the competition and you're watching game of throwns 18 on it and you'll be like "bub bu bu bu my pirate plex server how will i pirate this thing that i could have just spent money on" and then be all angry that they changed the show for paying customers

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

[FIREFLY REFERNCE]

[WHY ADS ARE GOOD]

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

"ahh but pagancow what if i want to watch a show but not pay for it i still have the right to bitch beaus I'm on the innneretrreneneee"

well guess what title ii is going to be gone so lol basically pay for everything now

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

GET READY FOR THE NEW ERA

h265

pay only web sites

HDR but only for people who pay for stuff

pirates unable to get proper gamma levels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001