Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Unkempt posted:

That was me! Yay.

But yeah, I'd be up for the U-boat. We haven't done a ship yet and I haven't done a sub kit for, um, about 40 years.

How on earth did I miss that? Fuckin bra-vo. :golfclap:

SkunkDuster posted:

Is there a way to search scalmates for dates on molds? I'd like to search something like WW2 aircraft tooled after 2000 and go from there.

edit: not for the crapbuild, just for a build. A crapbuild would be the Revell(?) B-25 Mitchell. I tried it and gave up and somebody else in this thread did too. It's not just that it is crap, it is that there are a ton of parts and they are all crap.

Yeah, it's a little clunky tho.

Click "kits" from the main nav bar under the header. Select a category (propeller is a good place to start), then use the check boxes on the right to narrow down scale, year of release, etc. Make sure you select the "full kits" option at the top, or you'll get a ton of hits for aftermarket parts and things.

Chuck_D fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jun 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I find myself liking the idea of doing this, even though I have literally dozens of these Soviet tanks sitting around forever unpainted.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Well since you're busting out the 4BO for this one, might as well paint the rest!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
At least one company already has 4BO on it. I just can't be arsed to do the tracks. Yes I do realise that this is me complaining about having to do two steps to finish a model which has had only one step applied, but there's loving dozens of the things because I decided that building a whole drat T-26 Battalion was a good idea :smithicide:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So, you guys that like to do car models. It's time to step up your lighting game...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU77FifakDQ

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
WIP on a 109G-6. Cockpit is done, now just waiting on a resin engine kit to arrive. My first time doing a plane, a bit different from the usual armour.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Tentacle Party posted:

WIP on a 109G-6. Cockpit is done, now just waiting on a resin engine kit to arrive. My first time doing a plane, a bit different from the usual armour.

Well, that's stupidly good. What scale? (don't say 72nd)

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)

Unkempt posted:

Well, that's stupidly good. What scale? (don't say 72nd)

1:48 Eduard kit, but I have some 1:72 armour coming (with PE) 1:35 tanks are too expensive on paint!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What always strikes me about plane kits, specially older ones, is how boxy and uncomfortable everything looks inside military planes until basically today when they finally figured out that if maybe the pilot isn't horribly uncomfortable he'll perform better on longer missions.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
They figured out that uncomfortable crewmen got tired pretty quickly rather early on.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Baronjutter posted:

What always strikes me about plane kits, specially older ones, is how boxy and uncomfortable everything looks inside military planes until basically today when they finally figured out that if maybe the pilot isn't horribly uncomfortable he'll perform better on longer missions.

Yeah, it's kinda nuts. Same with tanks, like how the T-34's turret doesn't have a floor, so loading while traversing involves crab stepping over tops of ammo cans. Or how the very first tanks often had the engine in the crew compartment.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
The T-34's ammo boxes form an even floor. The real pain in the rear end is hopping over the drive shaft on American light tanks.

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
http://99percentinvisible.org/episode/on-average/

99% invisible did an episode on just that, how cockpits were designed for the average Joe, and in turn actually fit almost nobody.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The last time you guys did crapkits I was unemployed and struggling, but this time I'm doing ok and will be able to participate once the kit is decided

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

The Locator posted:

So, you guys that like to do car models. It's time to step up your lighting game...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU77FifakDQ

That is just sick. I saw the headlights at the beginning and thought, "that's kind of cool", then my jaw dropped when he showed off the interior lighting. I'm amazed how the floor lights fade out when the doors are closed.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
I've another good kit going to a good home if any UK goon wants it.

It's the Tamiya 1:35 M190

Free to anywhere in the UK, as before the only proviso is that you build and paint it with pictures in this thread so we can all enjoy it.

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
If anyone is interested, Adam Mann is running a 6 month group build of Tiger 1s to celebrate its 75th anniversary. There is a Facebook page for it at "3D Scale Tiger 75 GB". I've joined and will be doing a braille scale.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I could go for the lovely Airfix 1/76 Tiger I for a crapbuild.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Oh god, it even looks like poo poo on the official website.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I finished another cockpit. This one is a Douglas A1-J Skyraider (Tamiya 1:48). I finished the P-47 Thunderbolt that I posted the cockpit pictures earlier of, but I don't have pictures of the final model yet. Will post them in a week or so.

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
Those tracks...

But that cockpit is nice, those controls really pop!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Yeah, great cockpit. I wish my hands were that steady to get those tiny controls. Even with my 10x magnifier, I can't keep a brush steady with my palsy rear end hands to keep it all that neat and tidy.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Arquinsiel posted:

I could go for the lovely Airfix 1/76 Tiger I for a crapbuild.

That's... interesting. :pwn: At first I thought you'd posted while thinking about T-34's or something, but no. Is that a common scale I wasn't familiar with, or did airfix just make up their own not-quite-1:72 scale for funsies?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Ensign Expendable posted:

I've already got this model made and painted somewhere, did it when I was a kid. The tracks were silly, iirc the instructions told you to melt the ends together around the wheels, and I accidentally set one on fire and it burned away too much so it wouldn't meet anymore, hence mine is presented as battle damaged.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Yeah, it really is a terrible kit. Not sure if it's as bad as or worse than the Sherman, which I at least know how to "accurise" with a few bits of plastic card and some spare wire.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

That's... interesting. :pwn: At first I thought you'd posted while thinking about T-34's or something, but no. Is that a common scale I wasn't familiar with, or did airfix just make up their own not-quite-1:72 scale for funsies?
1/76 is close to HO/OO, which is what Airfix were originally aiming for to synergise with Hornby's etc train stuff available in the UK in the way back when. It's juuuust different enough to be really obvious unless you're careful.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Supermarine Walrus, Trumpeter 1/350.

Comes in a box of 6 for :10bux:. I'm getting some etch for the next one, those 'struts' won't do.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I just want to say I'm blown away by you guys who do the cockpit detailing.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

I built Dragon's Panzer IV ausf H late production with zimmerit:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

That's a mighty fine looking tank.

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
WIP on a M1A1 while I wait for all the aftermarket coming for my other projects. This one is OOB so I'm aiming for a two day schedule. Day one has it built, preshaded, coloured and varnished.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
So it turns out that Zvezda are releasing a 1/100 Maus kit. The very definition of craptank perhaps?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Frenz posted:

I built Dragon's Panzer IV ausf H late production with zimmerit:

Looks good! Looks like you painted the bands that hold the muffler in place rust coloured though, they shouldn't rust like the muffler does.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Looks good! Looks like you painted the bands that hold the muffler in place rust coloured though, they shouldn't rust like the muffler does.

Haha thanks, I forgot about that. It's actually ground up pastel chalk and not paint so I can just scrub it off with a clean brush.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Man, oh man. I really underestimated how much paint and primer it would take to cover this 1/16 tank. I bought one can of primer, and one can of color for the exterior, and now I'm probably going to have get one or two more of each to cover everything. Plus having a full interior that I want accessible so people can see it means SO much fiddly masking. Gonna stick with no interiors next time, and nothing this big again for a while.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Man, oh man. I really underestimated how much paint and primer it would take to cover this 1/16 tank. I bought one can of primer, and one can of color for the exterior, and now I'm probably going to have get one or two more of each to cover everything. Plus having a full interior that I want accessible so people can see it means SO much fiddly masking. Gonna stick with no interiors next time, and nothing this big again for a while.

Is it RC? I've become obsessed with watching the 1/16 RC tank videos and now I really want to build one. Is there any you would recommend?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

The_Rob posted:

Is it RC? I've become obsessed with watching the 1/16 RC tank videos and now I really want to build one. Is there any you would recommend?

No, just a regular model by Trumpeter. I think Tamiya is usually the only one that makes their larger models have conversion options for R/C.

EDIT: Quick test shot of the initial paint and priming work. Will definitely have to do some post-shading right off the bat, since pre-shading won't show through the opaqueness of rattle-can paint. Plus this doesn't show the other 100+ modules I've kept separate for ease of painting. :aaaaa:

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jul 7, 2017

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Plus having a full interior that I want accessible so people can see it means SO much fiddly masking. Gonna stick with no interiors next time, and nothing this big again for a while.

I've been jonesing to build a T-34/85 in 1/35th scale, but the only one in my stash is the full interior AFV Club kit and I just can't muster the mustard to start it for that very reason. Your monster tank looks great, by the way.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Is that one of those transparent hull ones?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
No, everything is opaque. The turret will be buttoned up, but is removable so you can see into it from the underside. The main body will just sit loose on the chassis, so it can be removed to look inside as well.

Took a bit of modding as well so it sits flush and looks good, while still being easily removable. It won't be perfect, like if the body had been glued down tight, but I think it'll get 99% of the way there and still look good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I need an airbrush, I can't do this anymore with a brush.