Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

homullus posted:

I think it's medium complexity. A more complicated and warlike Concordia, I think? Moving your armies around is perhaps half the game, though you're not always fighting -- putting an army in an undefended enemy provincial capital weakens other players' ability to buy/trash cards and makes it easier for you to replace that governor with one of your own (if available).

We played with two and concluded that was ultimately not the way to go aside from a teaching/learning game. With two, one becomes emperor and the other is playing catch-up; with three, one becomes emperor and the other two can both take that one down. Brief periods as emperor still help you -- there is a separate "turns spent as emperor" scale. There would also be more barbarian incursions with three players (and even more with four) since you do a 2d6 roll on the crisis chart at the start of each player turn.Only two of the entries don't activate barbarians, and only one (albeit the 7) gives you a new event, which is what makes the Diocletian game-ending event somewhere in the last four cards of the deck a less likely end).

And it really was fast. We had time for me to teach and play both Time of Crisis and Days of Ire in about 4 hours. We did only play to 40 legacy in Time of Crisis, but it would have added, like, two turns to get to 60.

Thanks for making me spend more money on games. This looks similar to Pericles, but far more elegant and likely to make it to the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

And on the flip side I just picked up Imperial Assault and I'm having a ton of fun learning to paint the minis!

I've never played Descent or any other kind of dungeon delver and IA looked like the place to start. I'm more personally invested in painting all the tiny mans because I like Star Wars a lot!

Also there's an excellent beginning painting series on YouTube for everything in the box.

Basically if you're wanting to learn how to paint miniatures I think it's an awesome place to start learning. I have no idea how the game plays yet :v

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
drat, those look great. Post the rest of them when you finish. I've always wanted to dive into painting minis but Arcadia Quest is the only game I have that prominently features them and there's like 200, so that's too daunting.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Dice Tower released another list making GBS threads on some of your favorite board games and designers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CfXPFEL6os

Sam:
  1. 504
  2. Seafall
  3. Lost Cities
  4. Temporum
  5. RoboRally
  6. Codenames
  7. Warehouse 51
  8. Fight for Olympus
  9. Liberté
  10. Alien Uprising

Tom:
  1. Senator
  2. Vasco da Gama
  3. Hengist
  4. Warriors
  5. Pecking Order
  6. Mr. Jack
  7. Catan: The Dice Game
  8. Red November
  9. Blue Moon
  10. Tash-Kalar

Eric:
  1. Taj Mahal
  2. Citadels
  3. Funny Friends
  4. Duck Dealer
  5. Spellbound
  6. Saga
  7. Nefarious
  8. The Dr. Who Card Game
  9. The Lord of the Rings: Dice-building Game
  10. Race for the Galaxy: Alien Artifacts

Zee:
  1. Hengist
  2. Dr. Shark
  3. Aquasphere
  4. Fabled Fruit
  5. Felinia
  6. Zombiaki II: Attack on Moscow
  7. Knit-Wit
  8. Bloodborne
  9. Stingy
  10. Oasis

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Tash Kalar and Codenames are the only egregious ones on there I can see at a glance, although I'm suspicious of Taj Mahal's inclusion and I've heard good things about RoboRally.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Is Alien Artifacts just there because of the lovely orb game that no one plays? I like the expansion because it's less involved than the first 3, and better for newer Race players.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

FulsomFrank posted:

Tash Kalar and Codenames are the only egregious ones on there I can see at a glance, although I'm suspicious of Taj Mahal's inclusion and I've heard good things about RoboRally.

RoboRally is 15% worse than Settlers of Catan.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I hate roborally

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

RoboRally is super bad yeah. Tash Kalar, Codenames, Taj Mahal, are all good, nothing else is great.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

quote:

RoboRally

Well poo poo, now I gotta give it a try if it's that bad.

EDIT: Knit Wit isn't that bad. It's not my favourite but calling it bad is a stretch.

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 7, 2017

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I like but don't love Codenames but it's no surprise that noted moron Sam Healey thinks it's bad. He reminds me of a really aggressive bipolar guy I used to know and, considering he is a teacher or youth minister or whatever, I have to question the sanity of anyone who lets their children near him

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Tom Vasel smells. Stood behind him unknowingly yesterday at Dice Tower Con. Realized it was him when he put on the stupid loving red hat. Saw Sam playing some dumb minis game looking pissed. Talked to Eric Lang and he's a super cool dude.

On a positive note, I got A Feast for Odin, 7 Wonders Duel: Pantheon, and Eminent Domain: Exotica. Excited for all three.

I played a 7 player game of Scythe with all experienced players and it was actually a great game. 13 points separated the players in the end, and the game went fast and had a lot of interaction. It reminds me a lot of Terra Mystica; the more players the better the map is, but if they're new or AP prone it will be a slog.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bottom Liner posted:

7 Wonders Duel: Pantheon

We got Pantheon this past weekend and have played it a half dozen times since. It gets a lot of middling reviews online for being non-transformative and/or making the game longer, but we found it made the game a lot chewier in a good way. Adding in extra ways to throw off the turn order beyond just extra turns on wonders is nice. The way if affects set up is a nice twist, too, giving a benefit to flipping new cards for your opponent, since that is almost always a negative for you in vanilla.

After 20-30 games of vanilla, we were ready to have the game do something else and Pantheon has really pleased us so far.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Huxley posted:

We got Pantheon this past weekend and have played it a half dozen times since. It gets a lot of middling reviews online for being non-transformative and/or making the game longer, but we found it made the game a lot chewier in a good way. Adding in extra ways to throw off the turn order beyond just extra turns on wonders is nice. The way if affects set up is a nice twist, too, giving a benefit to flipping new cards for your opponent, since that is almost always a negative for you in vanilla.

After 20-30 games of vanilla, we were ready to have the game do something else and Pantheon has really pleased us so far.

I agree with all these points, the Deity cards can really mix up the strategy, and the few new Science tokens are crazy good. The Gate might be my favourite Deity card.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Bottom Liner posted:

I played a 7 player game of Scythe with all experienced players and it was actually a great game. 13 points separated the players in the end, and the game went fast and had a lot of interaction. It reminds me a lot of Terra Mystica; the more players the better the map is, but if they're new or AP prone it will be a slog.

I got to do a 7 player game at Origins for the first time, with 6/7 players being experienced. I agree that it was really great and not nearly as chaotic as I'd have expected, but I also have a huge amount of love for the game, so I wasn't sure if it was skewed by that. I also crushed everyone as Patriotic Saxony with great starting combat cards (5/5/3/3) and two of the easiest Objective cards ("control 3 of X territory") in about 90 minutes, so that might also have skewed my experience in a positive way. :v:

Huxley posted:

Also completely agree with this. I can't imagine playing the game without Pantheon anymore.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Johnny Truant posted:

the few new Science tokens are crazy good

The one game I pulled Engineering (build any link for $1) off putting the progress token Diety closest to me felt like breaking the game while I was doing it. And I still lost on points by 3.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Huxley posted:

The one game I pulled Engineering (build any link for $1) off putting the progress token Diety closest to me felt like breaking the game while I was doing it. And I still lost on points by 3.

Haha yup, it's like the Economy token from vanilla, it feels like it's just broken as ffffffuck.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
It sounds like we've got some Scythe veterans here so I'm going to ask because I'm sick of getting my rear end handed to me repeatedly in this goddam game: what's the trick? What's the general strategy?

Do you guys pump out all your workers ASAP? What's the trick on your dispersion of them - do you target the hexes with your board's cheapest/most efficient buys? Do you rush to the factory or encounters? How often do you invade your neighbours? Do you laser focus grabbing stars in order to end things quickly? Should you always be pumping your popularity?

I really like the game but I'm starting to bang my head against the wall with regard to figuring out a viable way to win it, or at least contend. I get that the trick is to not waste turns by selecting top-row actions without being able to take advantage of the bottom-row ones, but how do you plan it out?

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

silvergoose posted:

RoboRally is super bad yeah. Tash Kalar, Codenames, Taj Mahal, are all good, nothing else is great.

I kind of like Knit-Wit. It does what it sets out to do very well. Sure, it's not "Forbidden Place Game" and "Pan-loving-demic", but it's not bad

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

FulsomFrank posted:

It sounds like we've got some Scythe veterans here so I'm going to ask because I'm sick of getting my rear end handed to me repeatedly in this goddam game: what's the trick? What's the general strategy?

Do you guys pump out all your workers ASAP? What's the trick on your dispersion of them - do you target the hexes with your board's cheapest/most efficient buys? Do you rush to the factory or encounters? How often do you invade your neighbours? Do you laser focus grabbing stars in order to end things quickly? Should you always be pumping your popularity?

I really like the game but I'm starting to bang my head against the wall with regard to figuring out a viable way to win it, or at least contend. I get that the trick is to not waste turns by selecting top-row actions without being able to take advantage of the bottom-row ones, but how do you plan it out?

I've only played the game twice, and I was handed Saxony both times, but I'm curious how you are playing the game.

Here's what I did both times and I won (67 with 42 next closest score and 57 with 32 next closest score):
- Rushed to deploy a mech to get to the center. That's either Riverwalk or your faction's special movement ability.
- Only deployed 3 workers. Less resources, but you don't need infinite resources. You only lose a single military strength with three workers, and you should be able to work with the resources from your 5 total workers.
- Enlist the upgrade or deploy actions ASAP as your opponents will be using both of those more than likely.
- Control the mines/your opponents' entry points to the main board. You may or may not want to initiate combat, but parking a dude and forcing your opponents to compress or fight you feels powerful.
- Rush stars super hard. Stars are the best source of points in the game, even at minimal popularity, so having more is good.
- Popularity is a resource moreso than a victory condition if you rush stars as I do. Always be able to spend popularity, but if you have 6 stars at base level, you are doing better than someone who has 3 stars at the second level.
- Encounters can enable some early stuff, but they shouldn't be rushed IMO.
- Factory cards are powerful, so I would try to get one and prevent other players from getting one.
- Use your Speed+2 mech to surprise opponents with 2v1 combat. This is especially cool if you steal their resources in the process.

What are you doing in your games? What is your general strategy?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Talas posted:

Tom:
Senator

Senator is one of the worst games I've ever played in my life. I literally burned my copy.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I'm also kind of chuckling that two Friedemann Friese games are on that list. He's only considered a good designer because people like Power Grid. If you look at his output none of his other games have ever really reached that level of respect. They get momentary hype when they come out because they usually have a neat gimmick and then nobody ever talks about them again. One well received game doesn't make you a good designer. It's not like he's Vlaada or Rosenburg where, whether you like the games or not, you can point to a handful of well-received titles.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

FulsomFrank posted:

There's no set strategy I use, I determine that from my faction & action boards. I find that going upgrade-heavy early on generally works well. It will seem like you're ramping up slower than everyone else, but soon everything you do is easier. And feel free to lose popularity early on if it means acquiring more of anything else. Also, if you don't go to the factory ASAP, it's probably best not to go at all. Let other people squabble over it while you quietly spread your territory elsewhere.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Does anyone have a good 1830 rules video I can show people before we play this weekend?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

FulsomFrank posted:

The game is really a point salad, you can rarely focus on one strategy such as resource hoarding. Maximizing is all about top/bottom action efficiency. Trade/produce for a bottom action early (first two turns usually). Stick to 4-5 workers most of the game to keep producing from costing popularity. Spread out late game to maximize territory points. Enlist based on what adjacent players haven't built yet. Following these basic strategies will get you in the 75+ point range most games.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 8, 2017

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

cenotaph posted:

I'm also kind of chuckling that two Friedemann Friese games are on that list. He's only considered a good designer because people like Power Grid. If you look at his output none of his other games have ever really reached that level of respect. They get momentary hype when they come out because they usually have a neat gimmick and then nobody ever talks about them again. One well received game doesn't make you a good designer. It's not like he's Vlaada or Rosenburg where, whether you like the games or not, you can point to a handful of well-received titles.

I feel like Vlaada has a strong case for being the best designer. He's done a ton of different thing and they are all Ok-> Great.

The knock against Rosenberg would be his habit of doing the same concept over and over as he refines it, but his games are generally good if you like his thing.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Rumda posted:

Does anyone have a good 1830 rules video I can show people before we play this weekend?

It's 17 minutes long, but this is good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dtNSyjyPgs

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I feel like Vlaada has a strong case for being the best designer. He's done a ton of different thing and they are all Ok-> Great.

The knock against Rosenberg would be his habit of doing the same concept over and over as he refines it, but his games are generally good if you like his thing.

Agreed on Vlaada, although I'll admit I'm kind of bummed that he's seeming to focus on TTA, Tash Kalar and Codenames in recent years rather than the sort of stuff that I really like of his (Mage Knight, Dungeon Lords/Petz, Galaxy Trucker, Space Alert). It'd be great to see him get to make another big, heavy themed game that breaks out a new IP.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I've only played Mage Knight and Codenames. Don't have any interest in the rest but his range is very impressive. No interest in Rosenberg aside from Bohnanza but he seems to understand what constitutes quality, at least for his fans.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

This is a fair assessment. Vlaada definatly has a larger range, but I tend to enjoy Rosenberg games quite a bit more (even if they are all essentially the same).

I would put forth Richard Garfield as a contender for top designer though.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Bottom Liner posted:

The game is really a point salad, you can rarely focus on one strategy such as resource hoarding. Maximizing is all about top/bottom action efficiency. Trade/produce for a bottom action early (first two turns usually). Stick to 4-5 workers most of the game to keep producing from costing popularity. Spread out late game to maximize territory points. Enlist based on what adjacent players haven't built yet. Following these basic strategies will get you in the 75+ point range most games.

Also, remember that the amount of each resource you need is finite, and try to work it out a few turns in advance to hit those numbers exactly. This could be a reason to max out on workers early - if you know what stars you want and can gather the necessary resources with just 1 or 2 giant produce actions, it can be worth the popularity (also max workers is an easy star to nab). Figure out if you even need that extra popularity - if you aren't going to hit another break point, might as well burn it.

I try to keep pace on stars with the leader so I have control of the end game. I'm sure it's possible to win without, but I find it easier to judge my board position that way and gauge how many turns I have left.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Memnaelar posted:

Agreed on Vlaada, although I'll admit I'm kind of bummed that he's seeming to focus on TTA, Tash Kalar and Codenames in recent years rather than the sort of stuff that I really like of his (Mage Knight, Dungeon Lords/Petz, Galaxy Trucker, Space Alert). It'd be great to see him get to make another big, heavy themed game that breaks out a new IP.

Apparently he's working on small stuff because he has kids now, and doesn't have as much time to playtest a big 2-3 hour brainmelter anymore.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Me and the wife only play 7 Wonders Duel with Pantheon anymore.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Rutibex posted:

This is a fair assessment. Vlaada definatly has a larger range, but I tend to enjoy Rosenberg games quite a bit more (even if they are all essentially the same).

I would put forth Richard Garfield as a contender for top designer though.

Vlaada output isn't as consistent and the genre being all over the shop is going to mean people like some stuff and not others.

Garfield is interesting - didn't think of him as he's a Card game designer. Strong contender though if you give credit for Magic and Netrunner

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Vlaada output isn't as consistent and the genre being all over the shop is going to mean people like some stuff and not others.

Garfield is interesting - didn't think of him as he's a Card game designer. Strong contender though if you give credit for Magic and Netrunner

He's done tons of board games. King of Tokyo, Roborally, Treasure Hunter just off the top of my head.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I nominate Mark Herman if wargames are included. If not, Vlaada is far better than Richard Garfield, stop trolling.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I feel like you get bonus points for inventing a genre so Garfield gets a nod there.

Francis Tresham invented train games and the 4x genre (and by extension the tech tree). Pretty impressive.

Sid Sackson is also really impressive for his time period but most of his games feel half-baked by today's standards. If he had been able to polish his designs a bit more the modern euro would have been invented in the 60s.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

cenotaph posted:

Sid Sackson is also really impressive for his time period but most of his games feel half-baked by today's standards. If he had been able to polish his designs a bit more the modern euro would have been invented in the 60s.

:negative: None of us would've had to be subjected to playing monopoly as children.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

cenotaph posted:

Can't Stop is still great. I haven't seen or played any others that grabbed me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

Talas posted:

Dice Tower released another list making GBS threads on some of your favorite board games and designers.

Okay I kinda need a gif of Eric Summerer screaming "CITADEELLLLLLLLLLSSSSS!" here.