Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

I don't think about my hands too much. Just trying to hit the ball in the air. Hit the ball in the air!

Doorknob Slobber posted:

someone posted a useful interactive map to put up on your second monitor that accomplishes this

https://www.planepath.net

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Is anyone else occasionally get hard lockups when playing this? I know crashes to desktop have been widely reported, but every time I crash I get a hard lock. It was happening with my old Sandy Bridge system, and it's still happening after my CPU / Mobo / Ram upgrade (Kaby Lake system) and fresh install. Both systems were overclocked, but they were stress tested for stability and nothing else has given me problems. GPU is a 1080 GTX.

Any clue on what might be causing this? It happened in the middle of a pretty nice match yesterday. It doesn't happen often enough for me to meaningfully diagnose the issue.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 7, 2017

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

aunt jemima posted:

If you're not playing this game with the sole goal of making other people lose you're not having as much fun as you could be

Making people lose is more rewarding if they think they are about to win. 99 of them are gonna lose anyway; killing 3 of the last 10 is way cooler than killing 3 naked guys with your pan before you get shot.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Doesn't work with the www: http://planepath.net/

But that's super slick

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

il serpente cosmico posted:

Is anyone else occasionally get hard lockups when playing this? I know crashes to desktop have been widely reported, but every time I crash I get a hard lock. It was happening with my old Sandy Bridge system, and it's still happening after my CPU / Mobo / Ram upgrade (Kaby Lake system) and fresh install. Both systems were overclocked, but they were stress tested for stability and nothing else has given me problems. GPU is a 1080 GTX.

Any clue on what might be causing this? It happened in the middle of a pretty nice match yesterday. It doesn't happen often enough for me to meaningfully diagnose the issue.

Here's your diagnosis: the game is still in development and buggy, you're going to crash sometimes, each update has been accompanied by a noticeable improvement to performance and stability.

The performance guides on Steam/Reddit are a waste of time. Sure they might be able to get you an extra 3 FPS but the real fix for issues with the game is waiting for updates.

e:

Also if your comp is that loaded you could probably underclock some of your components and not come close to maxing out your hardware for at least 5 years.

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

I don't think about my hands too much. Just trying to hit the ball in the air. Hit the ball in the air!

No Safe Word posted:

But that's super slick

Ooops, my mistake, I C&P'd it into safari and it worked, I think it automatically removes the www (if you do it without the [url]https://[/url]).

edit: I think it was actually the bbcode automatically using secure http

OdinsBeard fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 7, 2017

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Oh, btw, whoever CoolSmartGuy is here on the forums, I feel bad for how the couple games you joined last night went. I think the poor guy died almost immediately after drop both times and then quietly left. If you're still feeling too much pressure to be productive in a squad, I'd be happy to run dubs with you. I'm still pretty bad myself so you wouldn't have to feel like an anchor. :unsmith:

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I was under the impression blue does damage faster later in the match. I guess I could test it.

I didnt know this, and died superfast when i was nr3 left and outside the circle.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

No Safe Word posted:

But that's super slick

Holy awesome!

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

don't carry a red dot and a holo.

there we go

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

ThePeavstenator posted:

Here's your diagnosis: the game is still in development and buggy, you're going to crash sometimes, each update has been accompanied by a noticeable improvement to performance and stability.

The performance guides on Steam/Reddit are a waste of time. Sure they might be able to get you an extra 3 FPS but the real fix for issues with the game is waiting for updates.

e:

Also if your comp is that loaded you could probably underclock some of your components and not come close to maxing out your hardware for at least 5 years.

Gotta get that 144hz!

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Pretty much everyone on the goon discord (maybe with a couple of exceptions?) is willing to play with people of any skill level. Worst case scenario you loot pinata when you get killed. Best case you revive some dudes and get a clutch kill or two. The squad learning curve is crazy, but in 10-20 games you'll be contributing to squads consistently.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I am very bad at this game and they let me into squads so anyone else looking for one should be fine. I will make you look like a god by comparison.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Got a new mic today and hope to join in some squads tonight and die a bunch of times.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

VulgarandStupid posted:

I played Arma 3 BR, and while you do want to meet with your team to swap gear and give each other appropriate silencers and scopes, you should only do it once when you know you're absolutely safe. Sometimes there's too much poo poo going on for it to actually happen.

Oh man, some of the goons I've played with are such loot goblins, they'll loot before healing after an engagement and then be late to the circle. Absolutely stupid.

When I land in the big tenements I always lose track of time and die

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Dropshots are love, dropshots are life. I basically never lose engagements between 5 and 50 meters anymore, assuming I have an AR or UMP.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Yeah I know but I was behind a hay bale and felt pinned down. I haven't figured out yet what to do if I think I'm in a kill zone. Also wasn't expecting three guys from outside the blue circle :negative:

Smokes. Grab all the smokes you find & drop like 2-4 at a time when you feel like you need to reposition but are spotted

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Dont smoke yourself in a 1v1. You tell the entire field look here when you chuck them, chuck them at your enemy if you can.

If you chuck it at your feet, the enemy can ads and wait for you to run out. Chuck it at them they have a big target on their head + cant see out + are forced to move to a less choice position

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Saw Grimmmz do this like 2 months ago and finally found myself in a similar situation: http://plays.tv/video/5960097b7ce6e003ed/roof-murder

:feelsgood:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Pretty much everyone on the goon discord (maybe with a couple of exceptions?) is willing to play with people of any skill level. Worst case scenario you loot pinata when you get killed. Best case you revive some dudes and get a clutch kill or two. The squad learning curve is crazy, but in 10-20 games you'll be contributing to squads consistently.

I know that some goons have a lot of anxiety about being bad at stuff and let it keep them from playing with other people so I just wanted to throw a little encouragement out there. No goon left behind. :sissies:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

DrNutt posted:

I know that some goons have a lot of anxiety about being bad at stuff and let it keep them from playing with other people so I just wanted to throw a little encouragement out there. No goon left behind. :sissies:
\

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Tonetta posted:

Smokes. Grab all the smokes you find & drop like 2-4 at a time when you feel like you need to reposition but are spotted

I'm coming in from r6siege where specialty gernades are awful, I'll have try that.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I'm coming in from r6siege where specialty gernades are awful, I'll have try that.

They're awful here too. Shock grenades are a joke and currently smoke grenades render differently for every player, which means your cover isn't where you think it is. As Tonetta said, you need to either drop a load of them over an area or throw them directly at the guy you want others to target.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Why does every game make smoke client side god drat

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Why does every game make smoke client side god drat

Smoke physics eat up CPU. Gotta off load that poo poo.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Particle systems in video games are non-deterministic and many of them tend to use random number seeds because otherwise they look unnatural as gently caress. The only game I can think of with consistent smokes has been CSGO/CSS, both of which just make the smoke a perfect sphere of dense particles so even though the particles are slightly different for each player there is no practical difference. It does look super unnatural and ugly, the only thing keeping it acceptable is that most of the maps in that game are small enough to hide some of the bounds of the sphere and obscure it.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

he is sooooo loving bad at video games

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

aniviron posted:

Particle systems in video games are non-deterministic and many of them tend to use random number seeds because otherwise they look unnatural as gently caress.

Why is the server not providing a random number seed to the client so the smoke generation is consistent then?

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Great Beer posted:

Why is the server not providing a random number seed to the client so the smoke generation is consistent then?

even if you have the same seed differences in update rate and network delay of the smoke deployment will be enough to ensure you can't get consistent particles due to how float math works. same reason physics usually isn't purely serverside despite the movement hacks that often opens up

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

nerve posted:

he is sooooo loving bad at video games

He was killing it today you shut your mouth.

https://boom.tv/w?v=rlNJ7PpJMwitk

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Pleads posted:

He was killing it today you shut your mouth.

https://boom.tv/w?v=rlNJ7PpJMwitk

that owns

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
If the circle has closed in to just over grenade range. What is the best gun/sight/muzzle attachment combo for a grass fight with 6 or less people left? I'm looking forward to any answers, but speak up if and humble brag if you've won a lot.

I've been trying to 3rd person target people with my rifle then hit m2 while prone, but the shot doesn't seem to line up. No one is dying but I can't tell if im high or low because I'm blinded by grass. What's the correct method of lining these up?

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

I wish my top 10 opponents casually sidled out of their cover and then held perfectly still.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Help I have no idea hot the 2X scope works :saddowns: https://streamable.com/ngwiq

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

The 2x scope is only 1.8x magnification anyway :mad:

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Try to adjust your aim after seeing where your bullets land, you never stopped shooting high.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
You were higher elevation shooting downward, yeah you needed to drop your gun a bit after seeing the shots splash the water above them.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Got my first ever chicken dinner in my first ever squad game that was my first ever time playing with goons.

Guess I should stop now.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Yes, stop posting. Continue playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope

Digital Jedi posted:

Got my first ever chicken dinner in my first ever squad game that was my first ever time playing with goons.

Guess I should stop now.

I played my first ever squad game and first ever game with goons tonight and died immediately before I could find any ammo for the pistol I picked up.

• Locked thread