Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!
That's a good gameplan. Basically mine from last year and working so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

do they still have the non-command career path poo poo they kept talking about back when I was a JO so that guys that would be terminal O4s can just go become like a permanent strike guy or something and still promote but never command?

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Not in aviation at the moment. They shuffle you from painful URL job to URL job (all no flying) until you tap out. I'm coasting on prior time to hit twenty before my first O-5 look (assuming everybody doesn't bail to the airlines and bump me up early as gently caress).

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Geizkragen posted:

Not in aviation at the moment. They shuffle you from painful URL job to URL job (all no flying) until you tap out. I'm coasting on prior time to hit twenty before my first O-5 look (assuming everybody doesn't bail to the airlines and bump me up early as gently caress).

You can get flying jobs, I'm proof of that. But mostly you are correct, I got lucky. TErminal O-4 ain't so bad though.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Mr. Nice! posted:

do they still have the non-command career path poo poo they kept talking about back when I was a JO so that guys that would be terminal O4s can just go become like a permanent strike guy or something and still promote but never command?

Yeah, theoretically, but not in the way you are probably talking about. Once you've failed to screen for your next milestone and are non-due course you can track yourself all you want as long as you follow your new sea/shore rotation.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

This is what I was thinking about :

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/officer/Detailing/surfacewarfare/SPC/Pages/default.aspx

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

That program has already run it's course. They killed it earlier this year after a decade of poor management that led to stagnating promotion rates for all of the SCP communities.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ManMythLegend posted:

That program has already run it's course. They killed it earlier this year after a decade of poor management that led to stagnating promotion rates for all of the SCP communities.

:lol:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Boon posted:

Truth.

My entire gameplan:
- Be awesome, make O4 this year
- Don't gently caress anyone over, stay O4
- Retire

The downsides are
- fewer years with the extra cash
- lower retirement
- no cool scrambled eggs hat

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Ran into a retired navy officer who switched from 04 to warrant officer in the army so he could continue doing ship stuff in the reserves. Loved it apparently.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Gents, someone here has probably dealt with this. I'm being sent TAD for two weeks out of state, I live in the BEQ. I do not recieve BAS, should I have BAS activated, is there some kind of missed meals provision? I know the standard is "gently caress you" and "that's what per diem is for" but gently caress that, there has to be something in black and white addressing how not to get further hosed monetarily.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

maffew buildings posted:

Gents, someone here has probably dealt with this. I'm being sent TAD for two weeks out of state, I live in the BEQ. I do not recieve BAS, should I have BAS activated, is there some kind of missed meals provision? I know the standard is "gently caress you" and "that's what per diem is for" but gently caress that, there has to be something in black and white addressing how not to get further hosed monetarily.

Yes you should get BAS for the time you are TAD, if I properly understand what I just read in the DoD Financial Management regulations. And hey, I have a Financial Management subspecialty code so I must be right!

e: I keep reading this and I'm not sure if I'm right or not. Maybe DustyNuts will show up with the right answer.

e2: After talking to my LPO I'm reasonably confident I am correct.

vulturesrow fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 7, 2017

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Do I need to be in uniform when I get my IRR card, or is it civilian attire?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

99% sure you don't need uniform

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

vulturesrow posted:

Yes you should get BAS for the time you are TAD, if I properly understand what I just read in the DoD Financial Management regulations. And hey, I have a Financial Management subspecialty code so I must be right!

e: I keep reading this and I'm not sure if I'm right or not. Maybe DustyNuts will show up with the right answer.

e2: After talking to my LPO I'm reasonably confident I am correct.

Its been many years since I worked travel stuff, but I think that as long as you're not required to use government messing at the TAD location, then you should receive full BAS + the per diem rate. But you're not going to get paid the BAS until you file your travel claim.

As far as that IRR ID card goes, based on my understanding of the instruction, you don't need to be in uniform since ID card photos are supposed to be just your face (most offices don't issue them that way). If there's a uniform requirement, then it's local policy. You are supposed to maintain uniforms in decent condition during IRR time, but I know a lot of people that dumped all of that stuff off at Goodwill on their EAOS.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I've still got all my uniforms in a box :qq:

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

orange juche posted:

I've still got all my uniforms in a box :qq:

I gave my parents my dress uniforms and gave my Dixie cups to some friends. All I have left now are some coveralls I use for painting and my NWU parka I use as a raincoat (it never rains in Colorado)

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Thanks for the answers gents, as usual PO2 Fat Kid was wrong with their info

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Sir Lucius posted:

Do I need to be in uniform when I get my IRR card, or is it civilian attire?

Or you can be like me and just be told off when you try to get one, uniform or no!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I gave my parents my dress uniforms and gave my Dixie cups to some friends. All I have left now are some coveralls I use for painting and my NWU parka I use as a raincoat (it never rains in Colorado)

I didn't say where the box was, it's in a shed probably becoming a mouse nest.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

lol if you don't keep your coveralls or parka liner

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
You mean paint suit and lovely weather work coat?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Utility jacket is the only one I kept. It's comfy as poo poo....if maybe a little tight for some reason now.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Some admiral talked to our unit today. Like any good junior sailor I whined about my GTTC problems. Of course his staff took my name. Maybe I'll get payed before the end of the year.
Maybe.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Anyone been to SOCKOR?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

LingcodKilla posted:

Some admiral talked to our unit today. Like any good junior sailor I whined about my GTTC problems. Of course his staff took my name. Maybe I'll get payed before the end of the year.
Maybe.

Your chain of command is going to chew your rear end six ways from sunday, you'll get at least one counseling statement, and your GTTC problems will still probably not be solved, or will be in the most negative way they can get away with.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I'd agree but all my problems are from while I was at my last NOSC (800 miles away), previous unit and this was my first weekend with my new unit.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

LingcodKilla posted:

I'd agree but all my problems are from while I was at my last NOSC (800 miles away), previous unit and this was my first weekend with my new unit.

I'll admit raining hell on a lovely old command if you're really isolated from it sounds nice.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

I am currently experiencing what is easily the worst port call I've had in my almost 20 years. If you're ever told you are going to India, just go ahead and lower your expectations, especially if you are on a carrier (and thus have to anchor out).

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I recall someone posting about visiting a south east Asia port with terrible results due to contaminated water and getting stuck on a dock with no facilities.

Poo.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

vulturesrow posted:

I am currently experiencing what is easily the worst port call I've had in my almost 20 years. If you're ever told you are going to India, just go ahead and lower your expectations, especially if you are on a carrier (and thus have to anchor out).

Get back to us next week when everyone on the ship has the runs because the ship is pulling water out of that harbor and nothing can kill what's in Indian water.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Great Lakes is under water right now. By some miracle our place didn't flood, but we're like the 1 in 4 that can say that. Cars floating away, classes being canceled. Good stuff.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

Our liberty boat sank in Brazil.
Did India top that yet?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

In terms of sheer volume of bad things happening, absolutely. I can't say there is any one event that can top that in of itself though.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dude youre all gonna have the screaming shits. Dont fuckin drink the water. If youre on a carrier youre in the same place where their sewers discharge and the carriers treatment plant wont be able to handle what youre gonna be sucking up from the anchorage. I wish i was kidding.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Sounds like a fantastic weight loss regime for fat sailors.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Great Lakes is under water right now. By some miracle our place didn't flood, but we're like the 1 in 4 that can say that. Cars floating away, classes being canceled. Good stuff.

Yea I saw. Still have a bunch of instructor buddies down there and all of them have flooded basements.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

orange juche posted:

Dude youre all gonna have the screaming shits. Dont fuckin drink the water. If youre on a carrier youre in the same place where their sewers discharge and the carriers treatment plant wont be able to handle what youre gonna be sucking up from the anchorage. I wish i was kidding.

The LHD ran out of toilet paper after an unexpected extended stay in Kenya's harbor.

It was pretty brutal.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

wait how does water work on ship exactly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Reverand maynard posted:

wait how does water work on ship exactly?

The ship floats on saltwater and the ship's engines make heat so the ship takes some saltwater and some heat to make non salt water, with the addition of JP5 as a germicide.