Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Wiz posted:

It'll come at some point for sure, but we kind of have to rework the war system for it to work balance-wise. Warscore system and free exploding of planets do not mesh well together.

In my head I really like the idea of treating devouring swarm and fanatical purifiers as galactic menaces that bypass the war system entirely. They'd always be at war with everyone and planets would change hands instantly, maybe speed up the rate on extermination if they pick that option rather than processing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Demiurge4 posted:

In my head I really like the idea of treating devouring swarm and fanatical purifiers as galactic menaces that bypass the war system entirely. They'd always be at war with everyone and planets would change hands instantly, maybe speed up the rate on extermination if they pick that option rather than processing.

yes reintroduce horde mechanics

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Demiurge4 posted:

Always-war mechanics have been completely awful every time we put them in our games. I'm not keen to repeat that mistake.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Their AI attitude towards you (indifferent, hostile, etc) should be renamed to be about how hungry they are.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I wish there was an option to set a system for all fleets to avoid, no matter what their combat stance. I keep accidentally sending ships in war through a system with a leviathan and have to keep save scumming cause the stupid pathing takes it through there every time if I don't micro it off.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Anticheese posted:

Their AI attitude towards you (indifferent, hostile, etc) should be renamed to be about how hungry they are.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Anticheese posted:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Wiz posted:

Always-war mechanics have been completely awful every time we put them in our games. I'm not keen to repeat that mistake.

I reckon you somehow limit how many times you can blow up a planet during a war with some techno babble about resources or whatever.

E.g. enemy has 10 planets, you can blow up 10% of them (to a minimum of 1), you declare war and you fire your death laser BOOM planet dead, but then it says the laser is recharging.

If the enemy had 50 planets you blow up one planet, then a couple of months later it says the laser is recharged and you do it again etc.

This is obviously really powerful but that's sort of the point right? There was a great mechanic the devs at EVE online were talking about where basically there would be some sort of super ship but only X could exist at any one time (let's say 2) because they need a super ultra rare component. When the ship blows up you are guaranteed to be able to salvage that component, at which point you can use it to build your own super ship. If for whatever reason the ship component is destroyed, it would respawn at some point.

I know that is probably super difficult to implement, but I think it would be an awesome balancing factor, and it's also a conflict driver because if some weaker empire gets hold of one of the only two doomsday modules in the entire galaxy, you may decide to take it from them before it falls into the hands of an enemy.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Anticheese posted:

This idea reminds me of that space management game, The Last Federation. There's an insectoid hive race that changes its behavior based on the temperment/mood of their hive queen. The idea of hivemind civs being fickle and arbitrary based on their current ruler sounds quite appealing.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Anticheese posted:

:vince:

So glad I decided to check this thread for the first time in months

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Anticheese posted:

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!

Anticheese posted:

Yes please.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Wiz posted:

It'll come at some point for sure, but we kind of have to rework the war system for it to work balance-wise. Warscore system and free exploding of planets do not mesh well together.

Clearly the reason the Empire built the Deathstar is because they couldn't get enough Warscore to beat the Rebellion so they decided to exploit a loophole.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

DatonKallandor posted:

Clearly the reason the Empire built the Deathstar is because they couldn't get enough Warscore to beat the Rebellion so they decided to exploit a loophole.

I thought it was because they hit their mineral cap?

That's the impetus behind all of my ridiculously expensive boondoggle projects.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
Like any sane civilization, you will look up at the sun and think "gently caress that guy" and blow it up.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Nevets posted:

I thought it was because they hit their mineral cap?

That's the impetus behind all of my ridiculously expensive boondoggle projects.

They shouldn't have pissed off all the Enclaves so they can't trade for energy.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

in retrospect the galaxy was great all along

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
When playing a game recently I only found out a nearby rival was already at war was when I started to notice neutral ships shadowing my fleet and popping down invasion forces before I could. I'm sure the game informed me of this war but I couldn't help but think that most of the diplomatic popups are pointless. Usually there's only one or two empires (normally neighbors) that I care about. But useful popups (an ally/enemy I plan to invade is in a nasty war) are drowned out because every time some turd looking fungus gets pissed at a bunch of birds on the other wide of the galaxy they deluge my screen with popups.

One way to combat this would be to designate another empire(s) as "Important." Important empires get a high priority popup if they enter a war, join a federation, or ally someone. That way I could keep tabs on an empire I care about without having to wade through all the poo poo.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

poverty goat posted:

in retrospect the galaxy was great all along

Hawking Believes The Higgs Field Could Wipe Out The Universe

Inshallah

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

GamingHyena posted:

When playing a game recently I only found out a nearby rival was already at war was when I started to notice neutral ships shadowing my fleet and popping down invasion forces before I could.

A few days ago I declared war on one of my neighboring empires in order to annex them, only to find out that one of theirs had declared war as well about a second before I did. After a couple of years of fighting more or less by myself the other AI invaded a world that I bombarded before my armies could get to it, and then enforced their war goal dissolving said neighbor and guaranteeing them alongside all of the new states.

:negative:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Wiz posted:

Always-war seems bad, but the setting of this game really demands some way to opt out of the whole diplomatic system. Fanatic purifiers and devouring swarms being forced to obey arbitrary peace treaties just feels wrong.

It's hard to imagine an elegant solution, but it's a real atmosphere problem.

Maybe if you add a space UN later you could opt out and not play by the rules, but if you act too egregiously there could be some sort of huge penalties enforced by those in the space UN.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Crazycryodude posted:

Reposting great idea about renaming diplomatic states for swarms based on hunger.

This is a really really great idea.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

But what would the names be?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Eiba posted:

Always-war seems bad, but the setting of this game really demands some way to opt out of the whole diplomatic system. Fanatic purifiers and devouring swarms being forced to obey arbitrary peace treaties just feels wrong.

It feels wrong because impermeable barrier borders stretching through empty space feel wrong, and the entire game relies on perfect bright lines drawn through vacuum. It would need a lot of revamping to not work like that.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

You look delicious/not delicious

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

hobbesmaster posted:

Hostile: Ravenous (obvs)
Rival: Adding Salt
Unfriendly: Hungry
Wary: How do you taste?
Neutral: Skipped breakfast
Receptive: Peckish
Friendly: Satiated
Protective: To the larder with you
Threatened: Don't eat us!
Loyal: Come over for dinner
Disloyal: Biting the hand

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Cease to Hope posted:

It feels wrong because impermeable barrier borders stretching through empty space feel wrong, and the entire game relies on perfect bright lines drawn through vacuum. It would need a lot of revamping to not work like that.

Without impenetrable magic borders, the size of your empire is effectively the range that you can project your military. This is probably fine if you're creating a war game, but you'd lose the ability (or make it really difficult) to flesh out other interesting game systems.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Are there any specific regimes and focuses that people playing as non-mammals tend to choose? I've finally figured out the first ten years as some human democracy and I want to broaden my horizons.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Aethernet posted:

Hostile: Ravenous (obvs)
Rival: Adding Salt
Unfriendly: Hungry
Wary: How do you taste?
Neutral: Skipped breakfast
Receptive: Peckish
Friendly: Satiated
Protective: To the larder with you
Threatened: Don't eat us!
Loyal: Come over for dinner
Disloyal: Biting the hand

:perfect:

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is there any indication how long it will be till 1.8 comes out? I'd just started a hive mind game a little bit ago, but these changes are making me want to set it aside and restart anew later.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

"A while." My personal ballpark guess is early to mid September.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jul 8, 2017

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Bakanogami posted:

Is there any indication how long it will be till 1.8 comes out? I'd just started a hive mind game a little bit ago, but these changes are making me want to set it aside and restart anew later.

Paradox has said that this one will take a while - the previous release was a bit of a buggy mess initially and they said they'd rather not have that happen again.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

I gotta say though, I'm very impressed that Hive Minds are getting a big look at in the patch. They're a DLC feature, so not everyone even has it. I sort of dreaded all the DLC features not really getting that much support, but they're doing it.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jul 8, 2017

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
To be honest Stellaris is the only Paradox game right now that has a coherent and popular approach to DLC. I suspect Wiz will get some sort of promotion before too long if rumblings persist over how other games handle DLC.

Pretty much all the other grand stratgey games haven't managed to wrap their head around the fact what works well is the DLC items really being optional extras, not actually being required to improve the base game. Or they get it but they don't get how to actually do it in practice. HoI is the worst for it but there's elements of it in CKII and EUIV too.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah when I inevitably start bitching about Paradox games and how everything was better in the bad old days, that's the conclusion I always end up on. Stellaris and its development has been by no means perfect, but that's ok. Everyone makes mistakes. What's important is learning from your screw-ups, fixing them, and not doing it again next time, and Stellaris is the only current PDX game that I think is really doing that. I've bought every single piece of Stellaris DLC at full price on release day, and don't regret a penny of it. I can't say the same for any other Paradox game.

What's also important is not loving selling blitz commands that are absolutely critical to making the AI behave even slightly sane and should have been in at release for $15 but that's for another thread

E: Oh wait I bought Utopia with one of those discount codes that got Tweeted out, so technically not full price. Still worth it, tho

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 8, 2017

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Crazycryodude posted:

What's also important is not loving selling blitz commands that are absolutely critical to make the AI behave slightly sane and should have been in at release for $15 but that's for another thread

That's what made me give up HOI4 and I'm really glad Stellaris has avoided it. Great job Wiz and team and whoever makes those kinds of decisions.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I have a friend that works at Paradox and he gifted me a copy of Utopia because he's a super nice guy. Despite owning it for free, I still kind of want to buy it just to support the company and game because they're doing good things.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

HonorableTB posted:

I have a friend that works at Paradox and he gifted me a copy of Utopia because he's a super nice guy. Despite owning it for free, I still kind of want to buy it just to support the company and game because they're doing good things.

You could give the free copy to a poor unemployed goon, maybe?

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Or even a fairly comfortably employed goon. Free DLC for all!
:homebrew: :homebrew: :homebrew:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What would be a good ethos and setting for a Cthulhu-Mollusk race?

• Locked thread