Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
I watched the Lake video :gonk:.The video has Ng saying one sentence without much of an accent. This https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmuJ2UiByGI (there's an actual interview with him about 9:00) was the only footage I could find of him speaking and he doesn't talk like that here either (it is sometime after the murders) so I can't understand how they would "know" that. all I've found are people on reddit quoting the podcast saying that he sounded like that.
and the dude makes racist accents for his parents too who I doubt he has ever heard speak.
But strangely enough I actually enjoyed their personalities and banter a bit more this time around. I'll check out some of their non cringy as gently caress, racist episodes. Do you guys have suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
I don't want to defend Henry's dumb voices because he does do them way too much, but the way he ramps them up to the point of unintelligible yelling over the course of an episode makes it pretty clear that "Henry Zebrowski, loudass idiot" is the butt of the joke and not whoever he's doing the voice of.

The episode they did with the guy from Adult Swim is titled "Henry Yells About Aliens". You're supposed to laugh at the yelling moron, not with him.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

queserasera posted:

Doing genealogy work, I get depressed when I see "potter's field" on an old death certificate. Did this person outlive friends and family, couldn't get a family plot, died poor and alone, too anonymous in life?

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/05/15/nyregion/new-york-mass-graves-hart-island.html

This is the article I mentioned about Hart Island, which goes into the stories of some of the people buried there. Some of them are pretty strange.

Also the journalists couldn't get permission to go and take photos on Hart Island so they flew a drone over instead.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/features/michael-alig-party-monster-murderer-returns-to-nightlife-w463399

Michael alig "King of The Club Kids" has started promoting parties again.

Unsurprisingly he is still a huge piece of trash. Prepare youself for a lot of :qq:

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

queserasera posted:

Bobby Driscoll, the child actor who played the child leads in Song of the South and Treasure Island and was the voice of Disney's Peter Pan died of a drug overdose in the 60s and is buried in one of the mass graves on Hart Island.

Doing genealogy work, I get depressed when I see "potter's field" on an old death certificate. Did this person outlive friends and family, couldn't get a family plot, died poor and alone, too anonymous in life?

I understand that kind of thing was also quite common back in the days before the telephone and car, when someone who died far from home might literally not have had any relatives who could afford to go claim the body, or relatives couldn't be reached because they didn't reply to or didn't get the letter about the death.

In a similar vein of being buried anonymously, I've always been a little morbidly fascinated by one of the graves in my church's graveyard, which I happen to know about because it's the oldest one there. A little background. Our church was the local Scandinavian Lutheran church, just down the road are the German Lutheran church, and graveyards from the now-closed Catholic and Methodist churches. That's important to know in a bit.

This grave is for a man with an Irish name and has nothing more than his dates of birth and death, which tells us he died in his mid-40s. It's also a nice headstone, as nice as any from that era. There's no other graves in the cemetery with his last name, and he is not buried with a wife or any children. It isn't until 60-70 years after he died that non-Scandinavian names begin appearing in the cemetery, and we're rural enough that no one was carting people out to us to be buried if they weren't affiliated with the church. Plenty of closer graveyards for that.

His story is lost and even our unofficial church historian doesn't know his story. All we know is that he wasn't a member of the congregation and no one with his last name ever was. He doesn't match anyone on Ancestry.com that I can find, as he has a really common name. He must have died in the immediate vicinity, but that just begs the question of why he isn't buried in the Catholic cemetery, since assuming he was of Irish heritage, in our location and in the time, he almost certainly would have been at least nominally Catholic.

Was he a laborer come to work on a member's farm, only to be killed in an accident, and buried in our cemetery because he'd mentioned he wasn't religious? Did he commit suicide and thus couldn't be buried in the Catholic cemetery, which would have left few options to bury him locally and he was buried with us as an act of mercy? Was he new to the area and took up with the Scandinavians for some reason and died before officially becoming a member? Something else?

Whenever I hear stories like the one of Bobby Driscoll, I think of the Irishman buried in our cemetery, and just how many people must be out there in the exact same situation.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sarcopenia posted:

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/features/michael-alig-party-monster-murderer-returns-to-nightlife-w463399

Michael alig "King of The Club Kids" has started promoting parties again.

Unsurprisingly he is still a huge piece of trash. Prepare youself for a lot of :qq:

There's a doc about him getting out of jail on Netflix (at work so can't find it right now), and he's still just as self absorbed and annoying of a person after spending decades in prison as I imagined him being after reading Disco Bloodbath and seeing the movie about it (Party Monster).

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Glory Dazed?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

This is the worst poo poo so far

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

ElGroucho posted:

This is the worst poo poo so far

It legitimately is, I'd read the story before somewhere but never seen that graphic. It makes my stomach churn.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

Azathoth posted:

Our church was the local Scandinavian Lutheran church, just down the road are the German Lutheran church, and graveyards from the now-closed Catholic and Methodist churches. That's important to know in a bit.

This grave is for a man with an Irish name and has nothing more than his dates of birth and death, which tells us he died in his mid-40s. It's also a nice headstone, as nice as any from that era. There's no other graves in the cemetery with his last name, and he is not buried with a wife or any children. It isn't until 60-70 years after he died that non-Scandinavian names begin appearing in the cemetery, and we're rural enough that no one was carting people out to us to be buried if they weren't affiliated with the church. Plenty of closer graveyards for that.

His story is lost and even our unofficial church historian doesn't know his story. All we know is that he wasn't a member of the congregation and no one with his last name ever was. He doesn't match anyone on Ancestry.com that I can find, as he has a really common name. He must have died in the immediate vicinity, but that just begs the question of why he isn't buried in the Catholic cemetery, since assuming he was of Irish heritage, in our location and in the time, he almost certainly would have been at least nominally Catholic.

I do a lot of geneology and birth + death record searches as part of a historical preservation society, and this little story/mystery interests me. I have access to far better resources than the pitiance that Ancestry has on offer and I am fairly confident that with just a little but more info I can scratch up some facts about this.

I'm was hoping you could give me better details about the gravestone, the full name of the person the date of birth and death and so on. It wouldn't hurt to also know the burial site
You can PM me of you don't want to post that kind of info publicly. :)

That Damn Satyr has a new favorite as of 10:06 on Jul 6, 2017

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

that's a lot of effort to rescue a store mannequin

city of doves
Jun 27, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
there between the bathroom and the sea, more than forty thousand strong men were slain by the emanations of my rear end

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
While having a conversation about North Korea with someone I was shown a video on GiantBomb of all places. It's over an hour of Drew showing all the photos he took and giving a detailed description of his entire experience there. Including potatoes that were carved into the shape of mushrooms instead of real mushrooms.

The video is only available to subscribers it looks like, but if you can watch it I highly recommend it!

He went on as thorough a tour as you can get, and it's fascinating. There are no advertisements anywhere. The only billboards are promoting buying the state manufactured car and the leader.

He also said the passports had to be surrendered to the tour guides.

The main takeaway, and the unnerving part was that everyone there (at least in the city) absolutely loved the military. The parades were full of cheers from both young and old. They're raised to believe, and never told otherwise that America can and will come back at any time to kill them all. They believe completely that their government is the only reason they're still alive.

It's about as thorough a tour as you'll get without going yourself, but if you're not interested in other GB videos I don't know if it's worth the cost of a month sub.

He even visits a museum where he hears the official NK version of the war.

https://www.giantbomb.com/videos/drew-returns-from-north-korea/2300-5929/

Edit: apparently Vice has actual video, and it's very sumilar in terms of the experience because of how orchestrated the tourist visits are.

https://youtu.be/24R8JObNNQ4

Edit2: Drew's photos don't require a subscription!
https://www.giantbomb.com/profile/drewbert/blog/photos-from-north-korea/93223/

moonsour has a new favorite as of 14:54 on Jul 6, 2017

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Vice's videos on North Korea are the only worthwhile thing Vice has ever produced.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

moonsour posted:

The main takeaway, and the unnerving part was that everyone there (at least in the city) absolutely loved the military. The parades were full of cheers from both young and old. They're raised to believe, and never told otherwise that America can and will come back at any time to kill them all. They believe completely that their government is the only reason they're still alive.

Yeah, imagine that. What a terrible way to live...

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

moonsour posted:

He also said the passports had to be surrendered to the tour guides.

Pretty sure this would be the point where I'd be like "Nope, leaving this country now, don't need to see a totalitarian hellhole that badly."

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

city of doves posted:

there between the bathroom and the sea, more than forty thousand strong men were slain by the emanations of my rear end

Avshalom? Is that you?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

1stGear posted:

Pretty sure this would be the point where I'd be like "Nope, leaving this country now, don't need to see a totalitarian hellhole that badly."
By that point, it's already far too late to change your mind. You've flown in, the passport's been stamped and the only way out is on state-owned airlines. Even if you had the passport, what good would it really do? There's no US embassy and you can sure as hell bet that you're not getting to the Swedish embassy without being stopped. They ask everyone to surrender them just to psychologically reinforce how much they're in control.

Also, about everyone in Pyongyang loving the military, that's not really surprising. Leaving aside the nationwide propaganda towards the military, getting to live in Pyongyang is a privilege and that can be revoked at any time. The shops in Pyongyang may be the only place in the country to get certain international goods, and residents there enjoy a higher standard of living than anywhere else in the country.

As such, the people in Pyongyang are the ones that the government considers to be the most politically reliable. There's strong incentive to not just like the military, but to make sure that everyone knows how much they do, as a way to reinforce their position.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

Azathoth posted:

By that point, it's already far too late to change your mind. You've flown in, the passport's been stamped and the only way out is on state-owned airlines. Even if you had the passport, what good would it really do?

They actually don't even stamp your passport! On the one hand it's lame you don't get that souvenir, on the other it's probably preferable to having DPRK on your passport.

Also yes, they also only allow young attractive people to live in the city for the most part.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

moonsour posted:

the unnerving part was that everyone there (at least in the city) absolutely loved the military. The parades were full of cheers from both young and old.

you've never been to texas, have you

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

InediblePenguin posted:

you've never been to texas, have you

I try to avoid it, but I am from a hillbilly family that's been in the US military since the Revolution. I don't think it's quite the same reverence.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

moonsour posted:

They're raised to believe, and never told otherwise that America can and will come back at any time to kill them all. They believe completely that their government is the only reason they're still alive.

Well i guess not everything they believe is a lie

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I know this thread sometimes goes off on podcast tangents...

I'm listening to the Red Dot episode of the Love + Radio podcast, basically a sex offender being interviewed for an hour. The guy talking, Frank, is...one of the most singularly vile creatures I've ever seen/heard. He compares the sex offender registry to Jews being persecuted in the Holocaust, not once but twice. Threatens to commit mass murder if he's not removed from the registry. Says he wants to book a cruise ship so he can take all the sex offenders in America on a pleasure cruise. I'm sorry I quoted so much, but there really is so much and I only recommend listening if you want to get a massive hate-on. Does anyone know if this is real? Because this guy is so profoundly, perfectly hateful and his smug voice so sickening I can't imagine this being a real person.

quote:

Hi, my name’s Frank, and I’m a registered citizen in the state of California, also known as a sex-offender. And I just wanna let you know that that’s not who I am, that’s something I did 35 years ago. It’s not who I am today, and so I don’t particularly care for that title. I will accept the title of a registered citizen right now, because that’s what I am – I’m a citizen and I’m required by law to register,

quote:

There was somehow… Some teasing got started, and that progressed.

What kind of teasing?

You know, those are kind of sketchy detail, and I just don’t want to go into the details of what happened, because that leads constantly down this road of talking about this incident, and that is just something I don’t want to do, because she’s not here. But it… Yeah, that’s how it got started, then I asked her, “Do you wanna continue doing this?” and she said, “Yes,” so I said, “Well, my house is little ways away.” She got permission from her parents and we walked over to my house. We spent maybe 15 minutes, maybe 20 in this touchy-feely interaction. At a point she said, “I’m done with this, I don’t wanna do this anymore,” and I said, “Okay.” I walked her back home, and that was it.

quote:

The day after the incident happened I was kind of walking aimlessly, and there was a church, and I wandered in. I sat alone, I don’t know for how long, to say I’m sorry. I just remembered that.

quote:

Two weeks later the parents showed up at my door. I was actually napping on the couch, still trying to stay numb because I just felt horrible about what had happened, it wouldn’t leave my brain alone. Knock on the door, I opened the door and it was her parents.

Did you know her and her parents?

No, I didn’t. That’s the crazy thing. I had never met them, but I had seen them that evening. He made an accusation, and I said “Yes.”

What did he say?

He said, “My daughter told me that…” and I don’t remember the exact words he used, but “you had contact with her.” I’m not sure how he…

He must’ve been angry.

Well, he didn’t look it, and the wife was standing right behind him. But as soon as I said, “Yeah, that happened”, it was like a huge burden. Finally got to admit it. Well, I didn’t know that he had nunchucks in this back pocket, and they came out, and the flailing started. It was everything I could do to fend those blows off as best as possible, but when you’ve got two of those things going on in rapid fire, some of them you miss. But what I was feeling was that rage that I knew I would probably feel if it was my daughter. So I looked at him as being justified for his rage. Didn’t particularly care that it was causing pain, but that’s okay, he needed to get his rage out. It felt good that I had been honest. Immediately his wife ran over to my phone and jumped on the phone; I remember her saying, “You’d better get here quick or he’s going to kill him.” [Laughs]

quote:

Cops came, they gave them their version. Cops came over and said, “Did you do this?” and I said, “Yeah.” “Well, what did you do?” So I told them. Then we get to the police station, I’m under arrest, and a couple hours later they come back and say, “Well, we forgot to Mirandize you. Would you be willing to make that statement again?” So again, I could say yes. My attorney, that I contacted several hours later found out about it and he goes, “Oh… We could have gotten you off.” That’s not what I wanted to do. Here I was, holding on to this huge, ugly, dark secret. I’ve done something wrong, I feel like I’m broken. I feel like I’m not human because I’ve done this, and now I have to carry it. And, you know, who can you go and tell? No one. No one.

quote:

What’s the code, what’s on the books?

Lewd or lascivious acts with a minor under 14.

How old was she?

I don’t want to go into this, I just really don’t want to go into the details. Not until she’s sitting next to me some day and she can say, “Yes, that’s exactly what happened.” Because otherwise, as I begin to that, you know, first it starts with age, and then all of a sudden you’re hearing things that you would not believe. “Kids don’t do that…” So I don’t tell the story.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Deified Data posted:

I know this thread sometimes goes off on podcast tangents...

I'm listening to the Red Dot episode of the Love + Radio podcast, basically a sex offender being interviewed for an hour. The guy talking, Frank, is...one of the most singularly vile creatures I've ever seen/heard. He compares the sex offender registry to Jews being persecuted in the Holocaust, not once but twice. Threatens to commit mass murder if he's not removed from the registry. Says he wants to book a cruise ship so he can take all the sex offenders in America on a pleasure cruise. I'm sorry I quoted so much, but there really is so much and I only nunrecommend listening if you want to get a massive hate-on. Does anyone know if this is real? Because this guy is so profoundly, perfectly hateful and his smug voice so sickening I can't imagine this being a real person.

Holy lol at the dad beating him with nunchucks

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
His account was filled with weird macho posturing, and that wasn't the only one-on-one melee he found himself in.

Also he got worked up enough to rape a tween by drinking booze while pumping iron in an outside gym (?)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
:murder:

PurdWerfect
Aug 29, 2000

Glazier posted:

Everyone has a kink or two, in the grand sweep fart fetishists are pretty tame.

If not generally quite so studied.

PurdWerfect
Aug 29, 2000

InediblePenguin posted:

do you think it's impossible to put a hand in a butthole, bro?

ooh ooh! I know the answer to this one!

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
That dude just could not own up to what he did. It was just excuse after excuse.

There's a documentary called "Pervert Park" about sex offenders living in a town made for pedophiles so they don't have to worry about getting beat up or thrown out because a child or school moves in near them. The thing that scares me is when they can't seem to take responsibility for their crimes and blames society for the situation they're in. That means that they don't understand or think that what they did was wrong.

Here's the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXoLTFH6W_g

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

Sarcopenia posted:

That dude just could not own up to what he did. It was just excuse after excuse.

There's a documentary called "Pervert Park" about sex offenders living in a town made for pedophiles so they don't have to worry about getting beat up or thrown out because a child or school moves in near them. The thing that scares me is when they can't seem to take responsibility for their crimes and blames society for the situation they're in. That means that they don't understand or think that what they did was wrong.

Here's the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXoLTFH6W_g

This is hard to watch for exactly that reason, and it seems like this place is a "safe place" for them to continue to not accept blame.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I hate that documentary. The way they focused on that one main guy and told more and more of his terrible story until you realize that it was multiple times he molested little girls was a good set up, but the sheer amount of lack of accountability spread through out the film is disgusting. I hated every one of those people. So maybe the film did it's job?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I think the guy in Red Dot knows what he did was wrong, but he also knows he's a "good" person, an "honorable" person, and most importantly a "smart" person, and since people who get caught molesting kids are none of those things, it must mean he's not a child molester.

Like the guy doesn't make a single admission about his crime (even admitting what he did was a crime) without at least two or three degrees of removal from it. There's always some buffer between him and being responsible. She was teasing me, I was drunk, I went to church, her dad attacked me, I wasn't mirandized, etc.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
Seems like the guy from "Pervert Park" might have been lying in the interviews, someone claiming to be his brother is contesting most of his story. I'm guessing the brother is real, since he bothered to contact the filmmakers about it. The filmmakers' lawyer's response is basically "This isn't investigative journalism and doesn't advance a viewpoint, so we don't need to fact check lol", which I think is really weak given how much of the screen time is dedicated to letting the offenders talk about their past, and what led to them offending. If the offender backgrounds weren't checked properly, the movie just seems like a waste of time. The backgrounds given in the interviews are a huge part of how the movie is trying to portray these people. If they were just sitting there making things up, I don't really see what the audience is supposed to take away from the movie?

Claiming no viewpoint is also pretty lovely for a documentary. Only including interviews with the offenders and their counselor is obviously going to slant sympathy toward the offenders, while including interviews with e.g. the victims or law enforcement would probably have given the film a very different tilt.

The brother's(?) post about factual errors
The lawyer's response

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
I think I would have been more surprised if any of them weren't lying to some extend. It almost seemed like the filmmakers tried to seek out the most insincere people in the town.

I think a lot of pedophiles use the "excuse" of having been molested themselves (again absolving guilt) because it's a common pop culture psychology misconception that victims of child abuse go on to offend themselves. abused children being inappropriate because they don't know that it is wrong, sure, but sexual abuse victims don't have a no higher risk of offending as adults than the rest of the population.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Sarcopenia posted:

because it's a common pop culture psychology misconception that victims of child abuse go on to offend themselves. abused children being inappropriate because they don't know that it is wrong, sure, but sexual abuse victims don't have a no higher risk of offending as adults than the rest of the population.
I am pretty sure this is wrong, and a quick Google seems to agree. It is extremely important not to think that being a victim inevitably causes someone to perpetrate abuse, and obviously victims of abuse shouldn't be viewed as potential abusers, but it seems very well established that being abused as a child is a risk factor for abuse.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Alereon posted:

I am pretty sure this is wrong, and a quick Google seems to agree. It is extremely important not to think that being a victim inevitably causes someone to perpetrate abuse, and obviously victims of abuse shouldn't be viewed as potential abusers, but it seems very well established that being abused as a child is a risk factor for abuse.

Would be interesting to see a Jimmy Saville case file on that, because I'm pretty sure that isn't the case, and a quick google isn't really a great reference

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

Sarcopenia posted:

I think I would have been more surprised if any of them weren't lying to some extend. It almost seemed like the filmmakers tried to seek out the most insincere people in the town.

Sure, it makes sense that some of them would lie if they could get away with it. I'd just have expected the documentary to do some amount of fact checking on the interviews. As it is, the movie paints the offenders in a very positive light (for sex offenders), and the interviews are a big part of that. It ends up feeling like a PR piece for sex offenders more than anything.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Alereon posted:

My google shows abuse as a child leads to being abused as an adult. I'd like a study that actually compares the two though. Rates, types, etc.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

This American Life did a report a few years back about the trouble young pedophiles have when they recognize they have a problem and how difficult it is for them to get help before they act on their impulses. It's worth a listen.

Help Wanted | 11 April 2014

This American Life posted:

There's one group of people that is universally tarred and feathered in the United States and most of the world. We never hear from them, because they can't identify themselves without putting their livelihoods and reputations at risk. That group is pedophiles. It turns out lots of them desperately want help, but because it's so hard to talk about their situation it's almost impossible for them to find it. Reporter Luke Malone spent a year and a half talking to people in this situation, and he has this story about one of them.

There's more from Luke Malone on Medium.com.

Zamboni Rodeo has a new favorite as of 23:37 on Jul 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

My job is to spend all day reading social worker's files, and it's depressingly common to see a person have a large file from when they were abused as a child go on to have a file as an adult for abusing their own children.

It's absolutely not a rule that people who are abused will become abusers, but often when that's all you've ever known, you just don't have any other way of interacting.