Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
So I'm starting to think all Bluetooth headsets under $300 are complete pieces of poo poo.

Here's a question: is there a USB wireless headset I could use for games and calls that doesn't have a giant dongle? All of the ones I've seen like my Sony Golds are like two inches long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Yodzilla posted:

So I'm starting to think all Bluetooth headsets under $300 are complete pieces of poo poo.

Here's a question: is there a USB wireless headset I could use for games and calls that doesn't have a giant dongle? All of the ones I've seen like my Sony Golds are like two inches long.

There are plenty of good ones, but none of them will come close to a wired solution, and none of them work well for gaming. It's a matter of what your expectations are and what you're willing to give up for the sake of being wireless. There are also no really great sounding wireless USB headsets, they're all "gaming" devices. A pair of Fidelio X2's and a BoomPro comes in right at $300 and will outperform anything wireless by orders of magnitude, regardless of price.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I'm not looking for great, I'm just looking for not garbage I guess. I want wireless because I'm doing stuff while walking around an office and doing things with my son or whatever.

Like I posted above that the Avantrees sound fine but the mic is useless. I then got the Cowin E-7s at the recommendation of a few others but those sound like muffled garbage.

I'm extremely not looking for anything high ends, just something functional that I can enjoy that doesn't break the bank (because of aforementioned new son).

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
No pair of bluetooth headphones will have a good sounding mic. They all use low bandwidth A2DP for the mic, there's no way around it. Also, you can't use a usb headset while you're out doing things with your son, either.

Honestly, just get a pair of bluetooth headphones for walking around, and a wired or usb setup for your desk.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Etymotic HF5s are $80 on massdrop. Not a huge discount, but if you're in need of some walkaround iems it's a decent deal.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/etymotic-research-hf5-portable-in-ear-monitors

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
I had a chance to get in on the Sennheiser 6XX and passed it up :( Do drops ever open back up?

Those aside I was thinking about X2's or maybe m1060s for my home theatre and some music, thoughts? I currently use Sennheiser RS160s and would like a wired option.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

catch22 posted:

I had a chance to get in on the Sennheiser 6XX and passed it up :( Do drops ever open back up?

Those aside I was thinking about X2's or maybe m1060s for my home theatre and some music, thoughts? I currently use Sennheiser RS160s and would like a wired option.

Yes, eventually. It depends on the whim of the manufacturer though so a time frame is guesswork.

Never heard X2s but people seem to like them. The M1060s are very fun & comfortable but weigh half a kilogram so posture becomes very important to avoid strain in long term all day listening sessions. I'm not joking when I say you should adopt a typing posture.

Honestly if you just got the 6XXs you wanted (or found a 600/650 for a good price) you'd probably be very happy with just that for a long time.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Anyone own/used the Jabra Elite Sport and would like to weigh in on them? Specifically isolation and sound quality, my gym plays terrible music.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

catch22 posted:

I skipped on it as well, from the limited number of reviews that have both the M1060 and HD 6XX, the M1060 appear to be the favorite. The M560 are already my out and about cans and replaced the AKG 7XX, so I'm looking forward to picking up the M1060 when the money situation improves.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I'm sure massdrop will do it again but it's more of a when. I wouldn't be surprised if people were unhappy and wanted to flip them

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

NewFatMike posted:

I skipped on it as well, from the limited number of reviews that have both the M1060 and HD 6XX, the M1060 appear to be the favorite. The M560 are already my out and about cans and replaced the AKG 7XX, so I'm looking forward to picking up the M1060 when the money situation improves.

I have owned both the Sennheiser HD600 and HD650, and currently own the Monoprice Monolith M1060s. Assuming the same price point, I would go with the M1060s for sound quality any day. The Senns are good cans, don't get me wrong, but they're also around a decade old in terms of technology, and planar magnetic drivers have some very real advantages versus dynamic drivers.

For general quality of construction and comfort Sennheiser wins, by that's because they're pretty much entirely plastic and thus durable and lightweight. On the flip side, Monoprice backs theirs with a 5-year warranty.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
The Massdrop price really wasn't enough of a deal to justify a six month wait unless you're on an extremely tight budget.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
Thanks for the replies, I'm leaning toward the m1060s now, I want new tech and I don't wanna wait for December for new cans!

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber
Hey guys, in the market for a new pair of IEMs. This is going to be used for working out, commute, whenever I want to listen to music but won't be bringing my ATH M50

Budget - ~100 CAD (can go higher if it's worth it)
Source - Phone (probably)
Isolation Requirements - Would be nice
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM
Preferred Tonal Balance - Bass probably
Past Headphones - ATH M50
Preferred Music - EDM, Techno, House.

Bluetooth is not necessary but probably preferred because it'll be easier to work out with them

e: are Jay bird X3 what Im looking for? They're sitting at 120 right now on Amazon

Knowlue fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jul 7, 2017

Lord Grundle
Sep 5, 2011
Budget - About $150
Source - PC
Isolation Requirements - Prefer closed
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - Will mostly use for gaming, so I guess bass heavy or balanced
Past Headphones - Tons of crappy headsets that break within a year. Currently using a Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000 that has been super glued multiple times after one of the speakers on a SteelSeries Siberia v2 died in less than 6 months.
Preferred Music - Rock/Metal

Looking for a set of headphones and a mic for gaming. I mainly want something with good build quality and is comfortable.

I see the light and will no longer buy gaming headsets.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Decent article comparing the technology behind dynamic, planar magnetic, and electrostatic drivers:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/dynamic-vs-planar-magnetic-drivers

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Lord Grundle posted:

Budget - About $150
Source - PC
Isolation Requirements - Prefer closed
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - Will mostly use for gaming, so I guess bass heavy or balanced
Past Headphones - Tons of crappy headsets that break within a year. Currently using a Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000 that has been super glued multiple times after one of the speakers on a SteelSeries Siberia v2 died in less than 6 months.
Preferred Music - Rock/Metal

Looking for a set of headphones and a mic for gaming. I mainly want something with good build quality and is comfortable.

I see the light and will no longer buy gaming headsets.

Audio Technica ATH M40X and Antlion Modmic?

E: for variety's sake, Sennheiser HD 598C

Lord Grundle
Sep 5, 2011

NewFatMike posted:

Audio Technica ATH M40X and Antlion Modmic?

E: for variety's sake, Sennheiser HD 598C

Thanks! I went with the Sennheiser and I should have them by this weekend.

I switched out the Antlion Modmic for the knockoff Vmoda Boompro that Dr. Fishopolis mentioned on the previous page to get a little closer to my budget. I made sure to get the one with the 2.5mm jack so that it's compatible.

Thanks again for the help, you guys are awesome!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Noctone posted:

The Massdrop price really wasn't enough of a deal to justify a six month wait unless you're on an extremely tight budget.

This. I passed it up the first time it rolled through.
The second time I almost passed until the price dropped to $200.
I still think I'd prefer a pair of 600's but honestly they sound so similar I doubt I'll really care for most listening.

Amazon has warehouse deals occasionally on both the 600 and 650 so just keep your eyes peeled and pay $215 for a basically new pair with free shipping.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Lord Grundle posted:

I switched out the Antlion Modmic for the knockoff Vmoda Boompro that Dr. Fishopolis mentioned on the previous page to get a little closer to my budget. I made sure to get the one with the 2.5mm jack so that it's compatible.

Dr. Fishopolis is smarter than I am (he is a doctor and has a Space Ghost av), super duper hard to go wrong with any combination of those things. Hopefully you'll be able to post some impressions!

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

catch22 posted:

I know there's been discussions since this post, but the HD6XX's are available on Massdrop again lol.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Lord Grundle posted:

I was gonna err on the side of the Sennheisers, too. Although they're comparatively light on bass compared to the M40x, this can be remedied sufficiently with a lil EQ. On the flip side, M40x are decidedly bass heavy, and I'm willing to bet they'd get pretty fatiguing quick with enough double bass in your metal. The Sennheisers are also way more comfortable once you pass an hour or so.

Edit: just looked up HD598C under the hunch that the "C" stood for "closed" and I was right! Maybe you won't find any issue with light bass. I was basing that comment on the open HD598.

enojy fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 8, 2017

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

There are also no really great sounding wireless USB headsets, they're all "gaming" devices.

Are there any wireless USB headsets, gaming or not, that are signifcantly worse or better than the others? Unlike Yodzilla, I don't care if they have a big dongle, I just want to spend <$100 to hear explosions and yell at my teammates, and I really hate having a cable coming out of my ears when I'm gaming. I already have a different set of headphones for music.

According to Amazon reviews, some of the worse USB headset can't even reach 48KHz, which causes issues with some games, so it's not quite as simple as 'it's all the same crap'.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Budget - ~$100, could go a little higher if there's a compelling reason
Source - PC only
Isolation Requirements - yes?
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear. I don't have normal earlobes so pressure there sucks
Preferred Tonal Balance - whatever helps boost my PUBG skills
Past Headphones - I've had a Logitech G930 for years, but the plastic on the boom mic finally snapped, and some wiring inside has come loose so I'm loosing the right ear. Frankly if there's not a better recommendation I'll just rebuy, I love these things.
Preferred Music - repetitive drug beats

Key point: I must have the ability to go wireless on the fly. I get up and walk around while listening to podcasts or while I'm queuing and want to keep that ability. I don't have a preference on connections, USB has always treated me just fine and I doubt I could tell the difference. I'd also prefer it to be an all-in-one set, rather than separate mic and headphones.

violentlycitrus
Aug 3, 2004

the brookstone near me has sennheiser rs 175 rf headphone system on clearance for 150 bucks. is this a good price? is the rf part problematic at all? any advice greatly appreciated

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Chard posted:

Budget - ~$100, could go a little higher if there's a compelling reason
Source - PC only
Isolation Requirements - yes?
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear. I don't have normal earlobes so pressure there sucks
Preferred Tonal Balance - whatever helps boost my PUBG skills
Past Headphones - I've had a Logitech G930 for years, but the plastic on the boom mic finally snapped, and some wiring inside has come loose so I'm loosing the right ear. Frankly if there's not a better recommendation I'll just rebuy, I love these things.
Preferred Music - repetitive drug beats

Key point: I must have the ability to go wireless on the fly. I get up and walk around while listening to podcasts or while I'm queuing and want to keep that ability. I don't have a preference on connections, USB has always treated me just fine and I doubt I could tell the difference. I'd also prefer it to be an all-in-one set, rather than separate mic and headphones.

Either get another Logitech or a Corsair Void. Whichever has the most RBG.

To be honest no gaming headset is tuned for music so its best not to try and combine the two.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jul 10, 2017

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
6XX headphones back up on massdrop

Deviantfish
Jun 25, 2006

P L E A S E
D O N ' T
Grimey Drawer

catch22 posted:

6XX headphones back up on massdrop

Are these a worthwhile upgrade for my old 598s? I use a Schiit magni/modi if it makes a difference.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Yes definitely. I upgraded from the 598 to the 650 and it's a clear upgrade.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Constellation I posted:

I know there's been discussions since this post, but the HD6XX's are available on Massdrop again lol.

I didn't believe you at first.

Jesus there's 20 days left still.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

DancingShade posted:

Either get another Logitech or a Corsair Void. Whichever has the most RBG.

To be honest no gaming headset is tuned for music so its best not to try and combine the two.

The void is actually my second choice based on the research I've done so far. The price is right but the boom is not flexible which seems crazy? Not wild about the sick LEDz but whatever, I'm the only one who had to look at it.

I know I'm a little off topic with this question but there isn't another thread I'm aware of. Thanks for the input.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
After seeing the 6XX on Massdrop, I'm leaning towards picking up the HD650 now, since I don't have the patience to wait until December. The question I have is what DAC/Amp would I need for the HD650s if I already have a Sound Blaster Z soundcard. Do I toss out the soundcard and go for a USB dac/amp, or can I combine an amp with the soundcard? My usage is 70% music, 30% gaming, and while I would like virtual surround sound for the handful of Overwatch games I play a week (and probably Battlefront 2 when it launches), I don't exactly need perfect positional audio at the expense of listening to music/watching shows.

Are USB dac/amps like the Creative E5, or G5 worth it? I like the form factor, as my desk area is cluttered enough as it is, and finding room for a Magni/Modi and all of the additional cables is going to be difficult.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

TyrantWD posted:

After seeing the 6XX on Massdrop, I'm leaning towards picking up the HD650 now, since I don't have the patience to wait until December. The question I have is what DAC/Amp would I need for the HD650s if I already have a Sound Blaster Z soundcard. Do I toss out the soundcard and go for a USB dac/amp, or can I combine an amp with the soundcard? My usage is 70% music, 30% gaming, and while I would like virtual surround sound for the handful of Overwatch games I play a week (and probably Battlefront 2 when it launches), I don't exactly need perfect positional audio at the expense of listening to music/watching shows.

Are USB dac/amps like the Creative E5, or G5 worth it? I like the form factor, as my desk area is cluttered enough as it is, and finding room for a Magni/Modi and all of the additional cables is going to be difficult.

If you're paying the money, you might as well get the HD600 and the HD650 and compare them. Amazon is cheap enough and you can just return whichever pair you like least.
Either way you're gonna need an amp. The Fulla 2 is tiny and works reasonably well. It definitely can't crank out sound like it's bigger brothers, but it will get loud-ish. It's insufficient for my liking, but if space is a concern then this is probably your best bet. You could also get something like this https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dta-120-class-t-mini-amplifier-60-wpc--300-3800

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Chard posted:

The void is actually my second choice based on the research I've done so far. The price is right but the boom is not flexible which seems crazy? Not wild about the sick LEDz but whatever, I'm the only one who had to look at it.

I know I'm a little off topic with this question but there isn't another thread I'm aware of. Thanks for the input.

It's tough because this is the headphone thread, where we talk about good headphones, and gaming headsets are universally the worst possible headphones you can buy. It's sort of a whole other category of product that I and most other headphone enthusiasts don't understand at all. Someone should make a gaming headset megathread so I can stay the gently caress out of it forever.

Can someone explain this to me though? Why do gamers buy wildly overpriced, lovely sounding headsets festooned in blinking LEDs? What could possibly be the appeal of such a product?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Because gamers have no taste and bad ears

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

If you're paying the money, you might as well get the HD600 and the HD650 and compare them. Amazon is cheap enough and you can just return whichever pair you like least.
Either way you're gonna need an amp. The Fulla 2 is tiny and works reasonably well. It definitely can't crank out sound like it's bigger brothers, but it will get loud-ish. It's insufficient for my liking, but if space is a concern then this is probably your best bet. You could also get something like this https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dta-120-class-t-mini-amplifier-60-wpc--300-3800

Would the Fulla 2 be better than this?
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=120&cp_id=12008&cs_id=1200801&p_id=11567&seq=1&format=2#specificationsTab

I was also looking at the JDS Labs The Element, since it looks like a Schiit stack in a smaller package, but I'm not sure if it's worth the price premium.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

TyrantWD posted:

Would the Fulla 2 be better than this?
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=120&cp_id=12008&cs_id=1200801&p_id=11567&seq=1&format=2#specificationsTab

I was also looking at the JDS Labs The Element, since it looks like a Schiit stack in a smaller package, but I'm not sure if it's worth the price premium.

Couldn't say, I've never used one, or even seen one. Check the reviews. I'm skeptical, but neigh-saying.
Either way, you don't need a DAC. You don't need a schiit stack. You have a sound card. That is your DAC (unless you just use it for SPDIF out or something).

You need a headphone amp. That monoprice one doesn't look like it takes up any less space than a Magni2 so why not just get that?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

It's tough because this is the headphone thread, where we talk about good headphones, and gaming headsets are universally the worst possible headphones you can buy. It's sort of a whole other category of product that I and most other headphone enthusiasts don't understand at all. Someone should make a gaming headset megathread so I can stay the gently caress out of it forever.

Can someone explain this to me though? Why do gamers buy wildly overpriced, lovely sounding headsets festooned in blinking LEDs? What could possibly be the appeal of such a product?

Footsteps, explosions and team chat. That's all they're tuned for because that's all gamers want.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
ATH-M50x $111.75 on Amazon and B&H

Amazon link

Amazon also had a gift card promotion going recently, don't know if it's still active but it's a free $5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

catch22 posted:

ATH-M50x $111.75 on Amazon and B&H

Amazon link

Amazon also had a gift card promotion going recently, don't know if it's still active but it's a free $5

EVEN BETTER NEWS:

M40x for $75: https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Techni...1&keywords=m40x

believe me, save your money and get the 40's, they're better in every way.

edit: actually so are CB-1's, and they're 63 bucks right now: https://www.amazon.com/Status-Audio...2&keywords=m40x