Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Naked Bear posted:

I can only imagine that drilling like that would not instill good habits (I know, it's for games and poo poo). Perhaps a better drill would be to have someone else load your mags with an unknown number of rounds and/or dummy rounds.

Not necessarily. Context matters. Good article here: https://firearmusernetwork.com/2015/05/02/context-matters/

quote:

Anyone who assumes that people playing a game by the rules attempting to win will be acting anything like they would in a combat/gunfight/self-defense situation is pretty much stupid, or at least ignorant of how humans establish habits.

We’re told to be concerned about rather lengthy exposure to pieces of paper. Ooh, scary. Similarly, comments such as, “In real life that doorway she stood in front of…she would need a bodybag to get her home”

Oddly enough, competitive shooting IS real life. Specifically, a real life game. People who complain that the game isn’t realistic enough, or “that wasn’t REALLY shooting” need to actually lighten up, Francis. [It is worth reviewing this video as well.]

“I understand your attitude but when you’re in the military and your under pressure the habits you rely on the ones you practice and train with are the ones you fall back on when you’re on the front line. If you spend your whole career shooting paper in winning that’s great but I was referring to the habit but you for standing in the doorway without cover regardless of what game your plan it’s still a habit forming character.”

This is nonsense. You go through doorways all your life and do not pull cover through the vast majority of them. Humans have this little thing called a brain, and those that use it also have this thing called situational discrimination, in which contextual clues give rise to behavioral modifications that are situation dependent.

People competing in NASCAR have no trouble driving on regular roads or making right turns. People working with tigers in zoos have no trouble interacting with house cats. Surgeons have no troubles cutting their food at the dinner table. Practical shooting competitors have no trouble figuring out that they shouldn’t stand in doorways when someone is shooting back at them.

Those concerned would be served well by understanding how habits are actually formed. Habits are context-dependent, meaning different habits are readily formed for different contexts. Studying a bit about learning theory will explain this. On the other hand, I suspect such study isn’t going to really be something many are interested in, considering the castigations against outstanding competitive shooters for not doing something completely irrelevant to what their goals are at the time.

Indeed, under pressure you rely on the habits you have practiced and trained. Good thing we can contextualize those things, otherwise the fact that you normally walk through a doorway with no cover would always take over and you’d get killed. Consider the vast majority of doorways you have gone through in your life where you simply opened the door and walked through. If you want to argue that isn’t creating a bad habit, you’re right because context makes a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g5p6b-ZZ5Y

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

The last time this was posted I didn't notice that the Wanted fan shot the phone out of his buddy's hands.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I've seen a couple of the C.A.R. guys before and they all share one thing in common: they should really concentrate about hitting the thing in front of them before wondering what is around them.

Because they are bad at it.

Like, really bad.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

But but but it looks so coooooool

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

C.A.R.? You mean that retarded thing with looking around you with really exaggerated and dumb movements after each series?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
That's it. There may be more to it than that but that's all I see.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
You know what would be a good money maker?? Somebody should make mail-order DVD lessons like those old karate ones so that people can train in their own home and go from scrub-tier couch potatos to high-speed operators in no time.

Brainstorming here:
  1. Dynamic Operator Lessons Tier 2: Developmental Exercises and Reflex Preparations

2. Dynamic Operator Lessons Tier 1: Fighting Art of Reactive Carbine Engagements

3. Dynamic Operator Lessons Tier 0: Readiness Enhancement Tasks and Applications in Real Defense Scenarios

poo poo, guys, we're gonna be so rich!!

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 7, 2017

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

the acronym game was recently played out

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Force de Fappe posted:

C.A.R.? You mean that retarded thing with looking around you with really exaggerated and dumb movements after each series?

CAR is shooting with your pistol held close to your body, or something dumb like that. The scanning your peripheral poo poo was probably started by Magpul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfcvIYQ4ZwA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTr8xvkUWp4

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

tastefully arranged labia posted:

the acronym game was recently played out
Look, if you don't wanna be a Tier Zero 99Z Combat Ninja Blackbelt, I get it, but don't go crapping on my aspirations. :mad:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Mad Dragon posted:

CAR is shooting with your pistol held close to your body, or something dumb like that. The scanning your peripheral poo poo was probably started by Magpul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfcvIYQ4ZwA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTr8xvkUWp4

I googled the same thing, and it led me to dudes training Keanu Reeves for John Wick 2. Specifically, this one dude showing him posture/positions that look super awkward, and then launching into a tirade about the Mossad's Kidon teams, both mispronouncing the word "kidon", and claiming it means "assassin" instead of "dagger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY9TJigpcyo

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Naked Bear posted:

You know what would be a good money maker?? Somebody should make mail-order DVD lessons like those old karate ones so that people can train in their own home and go from scrub-tier couch potatos to high-speed operators in no time.

Dog, you're like a decade late on that one:

This was my favorite:

Like, I don't think anyone who is actually going to be shooting dudes from helicopters needs to buy a DVD for training.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Haha. That poo poo reminds me, we have a shelf full of dog training dvds at work that are $20-50 each and the video files themselves are 20 years old at best. Like, old ladies in 80s sweaters leading dogs through weave poles and over jumps. All that poo poo is on youtube and people (police departments too) spend good money on it. Granted, it's mostly olds that don't know what a youtube is, but goddamn are they stupid expensive for no reason.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Dead Reckoning posted:

Dog, you're like a decade late on that one:

This was my favorite:

Like, I don't think anyone who is actually going to be shooting dudes from helicopters needs to buy a DVD for training.
:thejoke:

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Mad Dragon posted:

i was taught the scanning poo poo well before magpul training dvds were a thing

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

The magpul shotgun video at least showed me you can interrupt your gun's magazine by pushing the shells forward while pulling the pump backwards if you need a different shell for whatever reason, that's about it :shobon:

The best about the DYNAMICALLY LOOK LEFT AND RIGHT poo poo is folks that do it super fast to the point where it's obvious they're not really looking around at anything, just whipping their heads around.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

:toot: Didn't get as many pictures as I'd like because a thunderstorm started rolling in and I didn't want to be caught in it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Where the gently caress do you live?

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
rat lives in colorado

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Will trade ammo for hikes and plinking :love:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Cannot legally buy ammo, will trade "favors" for hiking and plunking.

Oh, also cannot hike at the moment, so will trade more favors for getting carried around, since I understand Rat has some experience doing that :downs:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Cannot legally buy ammo, will trade "favors" for hiking and plunking.

Oh, also cannot hike at the moment, so will trade more favors for getting carried around, since I understand Rat has some experience doing that :downs:

You don't even have to compensate with sex

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

:shepicide:

Unrelated, you thought I was kidding about incorporating the pocket sand into a 3-gun stage? HA! In the written stage description and everything, 40+ people had to do it today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-YEEDR2-jo

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

The Rat posted:

:shepicide:

Unrelated, you thought I was kidding about incorporating the pocket sand into a 3-gun stage? HA! In the written stage description and everything, 40+ people had to do it today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-YEEDR2-jo

That's a real nice skirt your friend is wearing

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Several of the regulars like to wear kilts. Yeah I have no idea either, but let's be real here, I'm in no position to judge anyone for being weird.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

No no you can judge the guys who spend money on tactikilts.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Ok what's the reason for the pocket sand?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLpUq__iQqw

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Oh. So it's a sarcastic thing?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

M_Gargantua posted:

Oh. So it's a sarcastic thing?

I asked the same thing the first time he posted a video of it, but yeah, I guess you just don't realize it if you've never watched king of the hill.

And the tactikilts...:cripes:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
You should watch King of the Hill, it's a masterpiece of American television.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
loving lmbo @ the loving kilt.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
This guy may have just sold me on a service pistol.

https://youtu.be/CzzH_Soh0Uc

Also I may have found The Rats alter-egos YouTube channel

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Dude's got jokes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQc-z8MVhvY&t=689s

e: *snip*

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 14, 2017

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
So shot a Sg P320 today side by side with my shield. Definitely like my shield more. Sig didn't have the precise control the lightweight shield provided and the heftier frame made my hands wobble a slight bit more from the weight. Something I assume I'd adjust too if I shot it regularly. Only went through 200 rounds on the sig

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Got a used G34 KKM Precision match barrel, so I thought I'd do a comparison test before putting it into service.

The long story short is that it does make a noticeable, though not dramatic improvement in accuracy.

Pics here: http://imgur.com/a/tQkhi

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Hey, I don't know how interested you guys are in this stuff, but I've got a write-up on Civil War rifles over at TFR.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

:q:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMlUmnstcA4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

:flashfap: