Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

That's some good poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/6/3/5772796/nba-y2k-series-finale-the-death-of-basketball

If you enjoyed that check this out

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
what the gently caress is this good nonsense

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
Post you FanSatellite ITT.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Horse

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Jon Bois rules and is great.

Please watch his Pretty Goods, Chart Parties, and Breaking Maddens.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Jon Bois is able to talk compellingly about professional poker, which is a sport i believe i cannot physically care less about, and thats kind of impressive to me

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

paranoid randroid posted:

Jon Bois is able to talk compellingly about professional poker, which is a sport i believe i cannot physically care less about, and thats kind of impressive to me

Why Do I Do This For A Living

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
oh god ive become abe simpson

it happened to meeeeeeeee

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Tunicate posted:

I was about to crosspost it here actually

https://www.sbnation.com/a/17776-football/

Oh hey, this is going to be one of those things where they break madden or something - [scroll scroll] wait what, what's going on with the article?

holyshit
what.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I was with it until the extended foot ball in universe chat happened at which point it lost me pretty hard.

I'm a sucker for mystery stuff like this started out, but then once we get into the actual meat of the story, we abandon the main focal point in favor of seemingly random other characters who have no relevance or set up beyond being there in the moment, and when we return to the focal character, he's no more informed than we are.

It's an excellent start, just way too hard a swerve away from the mystery and it's immediate answers.

If I had to compare it to Homestuck, which I guess I should since it got brought to this thread, it'd be like if in Act 1 of Homestuck, once the game stuff started happening, we suddenly swerved into the Alpha Trolls without real context or meaning and then returned to basically where we were before hand.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
breaking madden is really good andbased on it i intrinsically believe everything the dude writes is good but i still struggle to comprehend why people read homestuck into everything and anything no matter how tangential.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ArfJason posted:

breaking madden is really good andbased on it i intrinsically believe everything the dude writes is good but i still struggle to comprehend why people read homestuck into everything and anything no matter how tangential.

I'm really not sure. It's

Not really connected at all? But hey it got brought here

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ArfJason posted:

Weird multimedia web 2.0 poo poo and characters being established purely through color-coded chatlogs isn't enough similarity for you?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

http://twitter.com/shelbycragg/status/882130426034245633

I really love Hussie's line. The arc of Dave's body is great.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

ArfJason posted:

It's true Jon Bois is good on his own merits not Homestucks

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Jon Bois is an anagram for Karkat. Makes you think, really.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Bogart posted:

Jon Bois is an anagram for Karkat. Makes you think, really.
YOUR BAFFLING HUMAN SPORTS TRADITION OF THE *finger quotes* "THREE POINT LINE" NEVER FAILS TO REDUCE ME TO A QUIVERING SACK OF RAGE AND BILE

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Clawtopsy posted:

oh god ive become abe simpson

it happened to meeeeeeeee

Alright grandpa, calm down, here's a legit summary of 17776 so far so you can understand it and decide if it's something you might be interested in: Three space satellites (Nine, Ten, and Juice) have become self aware. They spend their time chatting with each other and watching American football via Earth broadcasts sent into space. However, the football games they watch are much different from the ones we're familiar with because the year is 17776 and something has gone terribly wrong. Back in 2026 people stopped being born, aging, and dying. Everyone is thousands of years old and immortal, so games and everything else have gotten really weird. The story is basically about just observing this strange ageless world as an outsider alongside the satellites and learning what it's all about.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 7, 2017

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

He knows.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I really love Hussie's line. The arc of Dave's body is great.

the arc of his character, however, is not

e: its good to see hhussie finally get an arc right

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Alright grandpa, calm down, here's a legit summary of 17776 so far so you can understand it and decide if it's something you might be interested in: Three space satellites (Nine, Ten, and Juice) have become self aware. They spend their time chatting with each other and watching American football via Earth broadcasts sent into space. However, the football games they watch are much different from the ones we're familiar with because the year is 17776 and something has gone terribly wrong. Back in 2026 people stopped being born, aging, and dying. Everyone is thousands of years old and immortal, so games and everything else have gotten really weird. The story is basically about just observing this strange ageless world as an outsider alongside the satellites and learning what it's all about.

:420:

Clawtopsy fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 8, 2017

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
it's kind of odd
you start with thinking that (spoilering I guess???) it's some terrible apocalypse situation, which is a common thing for homestuck alikes, but it's the exact opposite of an apocalypse. Not sure where any conflict is going to come from

Juice reminds me of Roxy.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Hey kids, do you like Homestuck? Then you'll LOVE Steven Universe/Stranger Things/Car Boys/It Hurts!!/17776/A piece of toast! It's JUST LIKE Homestuck!

Detective Buttfuck
Mar 30, 2011

Also Too Many Cooks or whatever it was called

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Plom Bar posted:

Hey kids, do you like Homestuck? Then you'll LOVE Steven Universe/Stranger Things/Car Boys/It Hurts!!/17776/A piece of toast! It's JUST LIKE Homestuck!

I do like all these things....

:thunk:

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
I had a dream that 17776 was Hussie's new project.

Please send help.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Plom Bar posted:

I got a review copy for a new visual novel lately, and started playing it... to my surprise, i met a cute AI anime girl. My point is, i'm really surprised at just how much of an impact Autoresponder had on the global writing community.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Did Homestuck predict Trump? Click here to see Ten Moments Where Caliborn Acted Like Not My President! Number 8 Will Have you Laugh Out Loud!

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
In this visual novel i'm playing, several different girls fall in love with the protagonist - an interesting literary allusion to the famed Homestuck Alpha Kid Love Quadrangle.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
is making conversation so terrible

is a story that uses webpage tricks and is presented as a series of chatlogs really that unlike the stuck

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Hemingway To Go! posted:

is making conversation so terrible

is a story that uses webpage tricks and is presented as a series of chatlogs really that unlike the stuck

Actually of the "It's just like Homestuck!"s 17776 comes very close. It's just like...at what point are we gonna coin the term "first-person shooter" and stop calling them all "Doom clones", y'know?

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!

Plom Bar posted:

Actually of the "It's just like Homestuck!"s 17776 comes very close. It's just like...at what point are we gonna coin the term "first-person shooter" and stop calling them all "Doom clones", y'know?

When are we gonna stop calling games with randomly generated elements and permadeath "Rogue-likes"?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Lupus Rufus posted:

When are we gonna stop calling games with randomly generated elements and permadeath "Rogue-likes"?

homestuck is a roguelike

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
with retro sensibilities and a crafting system, no less

man SBurb would burn up the Steam charts

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

paranoid randroid posted:

man SBurb would burn up the Steam charts

unlike hiveswap

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Homestuck does not have to be a root to some kind of tree from which all other quirky webmedia stories derive, it can just be a touchstone for folks with some common shared interests to connect each other to other cool media they might like. Whether or not something can be described as truly "like Homestuck" comes second to the fact most of the recommendations people have made in this thread have been pretty good.

I mean poo poo, Amazon and Google and all the rest are allowed to compile big ol' databases of preferences and probabilities based on what you like and therefore might like, what's wrong with us doing it too? Doesn't have to be some well-defined genre for there to be some correlations.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
my take on the matter is that Homestuck is somewhere between a running joke and a formative experience for a very wide segment of a generation of creative types, and as such you shall never be truly free of it

and while im at it, for all its faults, the story does possess some undeniably amazing moments to point to. im thinking here of things like the EoA4, Rose: Descend, the entire exchange between John and Vriska where she does the unimaginable by actually apologizing for something, the couplet of Dirk flashes, etc etc. its a large enough piece of media that you can find good in it while also acknowledging that it kind of petered out to no great effect.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jul 8, 2017

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

I feel like attempting to sell something on the basis of "it's like Homestuck but..." undermines the creative value of the work being discussed. I am absolutely all about discussing aesthetic, conceptual, and thematic similarities between works, but framing it as "like Homestuck but" when the work in question bears at-most superficial similarities does a disservice to it by creating that parallel before anyone can engage with the work on its own terms.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Plom Bar posted:

I feel like attempting to sell something on the basis of "it's like Homestuck but..." undermines the creative value of the work being discussed. I am absolutely all about discussing aesthetic, conceptual, and thematic similarities between works, but framing it as "like Homestuck but" when the work in question bears at-most superficial similarities does a disservice to it by creating that parallel before anyone can engage with the work on its own terms.

This, but we could also do without the ":smug:Ah, it's Just Like HomeStuck you say? Then where is John? Hmmm? How can it be exactly like Homestuck if there is no John? Checkmate fool.:smug:"

Conversations about similarities in media is pretty much all we have at this point, and it generally is pretty interesting when you get deeper into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Been out of the loop of this thread for a while but,

Pants Donkey posted:

I'm way more interested in the new, seemingly non-Homestuck project Hussie is working on than whatever epilogues and way-too-late games they're working on to keep the smoldering interest in Homestuck alive.

Wait, what?