Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

mojo1701a posted:

How much does the government currently owe to the first nations currently, compared to Khadr?

I dunno, trillions? Lot of unceded land in valuable locations, plus resource rights, that were just squatted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
https://twitter.com/globalnews/status/883381217969618944

fuuuuuuuuuckk offfffffff Scheer

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Conservatives really eager to go to the well adjacent to the Barbaric Cultural Practices Hotline well pretty soon after the last election.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
the party of Law and Order: Parliament should ignore the courts whenever politically advantageous.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
so how's scheer polling?

i bet loving canadians love him

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Helsing posted:

Historically? A world war that leaves the home-front untouched yet compels the government to fully employ all available resources in a massive program of industrialization while spending billions on research and development across a wide range of fields from logistics to computers to rocketry, all while massively restraining the size and power of banks and financial markets.

History didn't begin in 1939.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

We should have an Omar Khadr Day, like Louis Riel Day and Pride all mashed into one. No proud boys and no cops, it'd loving own.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 9, 2022

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
There was that article in the housing thread yesterday about Gregor's girlfriend's mom getting charged in China and it said the court had like a 99.x% conviction rate and I just can't imagine what it's like to live in that type of environment.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 10, 2022

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

:lol:

Conservative's are cowards.

That message basically means you've been blocked from replying.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I'm the unironic use of muzzie.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I'm going to change people's minds with direct communication and dialogue

More dialogue you guys

More understanding

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

bunnyofdoom posted:

I also have a lot of people wanting us to overule the supreme court ruling....

Who's us? Didn't you quit the LPC over electoral reform?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

So based on Trump's Poland speech, how long until he gets the idea to make Canada into 30s Poland?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Reality Winner posted:

Who's us? Didn't you quit the LPC over electoral reform?

I wish. I have been trying to get a job out of there since then. Unfortunately I apparently can't get one and as such I must work there to pay the bills as I cannot afford to be unemployed. (Que another av change I can feel it)

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Have you considered joining the NDP?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
The most important parable about political ensnarement, of our times

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Jordan7hm posted:

All good. You know half the time I'm just riling you up, right? I think there is room for disagreement between what is legal and what is moral, but in general I like Canada quite a bit the way it is. Even if it means sometimes "justice" isn't served for the greater good.

There was that article in the housing thread yesterday about Gregor's girlfriend's mom getting charged in China and it said the court had like a 99.x% conviction rate and I just can't imagine what it's like to live in that type of environment.

Gregor is guilty of treason against the crown I thought. We are talking about game of thrones, right? No one would name an actual real child such a stupid thing I assume.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Jeez, apparently not overruling the supreme court means the Liberals have betrayed the country.

I have a very hard time talking to any of my consevative acquaintances because of how viciously vindictive they've become. Like unironic hate speech as a default.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Maybe you should grow a pair and unfriend them on Facebook

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm not talking about Facebook, I'm talking about people I see on a daily basis. Besides, if I had you on Facebook CI I'd keep you on. You're at least entertainingly scathing, not depressing.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
i'm all for violence if you can't reason with someone

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Violence may be the best answer but it's not the only one

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

the trump tutelage posted:

History didn't begin in 1939.

Ok, then it's ample supplies of coal, control of major sea lanes, proximity to a fertile continent whose natives are decimated by disease and another nearby continent full of people you can enslave.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
How about we collectively stand in the corner and think about what we and our ancestors have done?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/LaureenHarper/status/883468226474016768

fuckin lol

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gspElv1yvc

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Agreed, vote for Bernie Sanders so his kids can go to college for free

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

quote:

The U.S. President heaped praise on Mr. Trudeau during an event marking the establishment of a $200-million fund managed by the World Bank to help female entrepreneurs. Mr. Trudeau announced on Saturday that Canada is contributing $20-million to the program.

"We have a great neighbour in Canada and Justin is doing a spectacular job in Canada," Mr. Trump said as he began his remarks. "Everybody loves him and they love him for a reason. So congratulations on the job you are doing."

Well there we go, Trump and I might disagree on something finally.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I wish I understood federal law well enough to directly answer the idiots who keep asking why Khadr isn't being charged for high treason out of spite. Like I can hazard a couple dozen guesses, but I don't have a definitive provision I can point to in the criminal code.

E: I'm well aware that they don't care about facts, but I do.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 8, 2017

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
high treason for what? He did nothing to a canadian.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
👏OMAR👏KHADR👏DIDNT👏COMMIT👏ANY👏CRIMES👏

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

DariusLikewise posted:

👏OMAR👏KHADR👏DIDNT👏COMMIT👏ANY👏CRIMES👏

Well, he probably did but it's beside the point. There were videos of him making IEDs and those are good at killing people. He probably killed people and that's fine, the Charter is that important. It's (supposed to be) what separates us from the barbaric values that Khadr was fighting for.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Well, he probably did but it's beside the point. There were videos of him making IEDs and those are good at killing people. He probably killed people and that's fine, the Charter is that important. It's (supposed to be) what separates us from the barbaric values that Khadr was fighting for.

Cars are good at killing people, do we arrest everyone Windsor and Woodstock?

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Here are some questions you can ask these people to have them work it out on their own. I asked these of myself when I was on the fence about Kadhr a long time ago:

If a soldier is killed in combat, does that soldier's family have a right to take the enemy combatant to trial? Would you be willing to support such a measure of the enemy combatant's family was afforded the same right?

If you are a child who has been raised in an environment framed only by your parents worldview, should you be held accountable like an adult for your actions if you've had no other frame of reference for the entirety of your reality?

Is being a child soldier any different from being an adult soldier? Why?

If you are Canadian by birth, do you have more or fewer rights than other Canadians at birth? Is this dependent on anything? Should it be dependent on anything?

Think back on the last ten years of your life since you were X years old. If you spent all of that time confined only to your bedroom, and told that the only way you could leave would be to confess to a crime that has extremely questionable evidence of you committing it, would you confess? Oh and also you are being tortured constantly.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The argument goes that there's no provision in the criminal code that makes allowances for child soldiers. Even though Al-Qaeda is obviously not the armed forces of a foreign nation, their declarations could make their actions be seen as "levying war".

It's loving weak-rear end rhetoric by people who want to twist the definition of the criminal code just so they can jail a brown guy that they keep photoshopping to look evil.

But I don't know enough about law to point out where they're specifically wrong, and it's frustrating. I have to resort to "if there was a charge you can bet that rear end in a top hat Harper would've taken it to court".

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 9, 2022

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

DariusLikewise posted:

👏 👏 👏 👏 👏 👏 👏

Please don't do this. It should be kept purely as a sign that the poster is wrong, and you're probably not wrong here.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

tagesschau posted:

Please don't do this. It should be kept purely as a sign that the poster is wrong, and you're probably not wrong here.

Outside of SA, most emoji use is not sarcastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

DariusLikewise posted:

Cars are good at killing people, do we arrest everyone Windsor and Woodstock?

If they have IEDs in them, yes? I'm just saying, it's a red herring. If it was 100% true that khadr had killed a guy, would it change the way you feel? I don't feel like it matters.