Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?

juggalo baby coffin posted:

Instead of discussing if increased asset quality has made it harder for modders and mappers, and thus harder for the games industry to recruit new talent, let's argue over if minecraft is indie enough

There's no shortage of talent, at least for mid range stuff. In the 90s companies like id invented their own workflows and made their own tools, nowadays you got asset markets, outsourcing is huge, everything is super streamlined and compatibility is a given. The tools are cheap, learning materials are plentiful, reference material is readily available. Making and animating a model for something like Q2 back then was a much more arcane skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Diabetes Forecast posted:

I've been making a map for Doom and making a couple of my own textures for it here and there and honestly yeah it takes zero effort to make things that look better than the base game. Making it play well is another story.

This looks awesome, and I want to play it.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So, at risk of :filez:, Rock Paper Shotgun just went insane and linked to a site where you can download No One Lives Forever 1 and 2, fully patched and made to run on modern systems, apparently.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jul 6, 2017

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Unlucky7 posted:

So, at risk of :filez:, Rock Paper Shotgun just went insane and linked to a site where you can download No One Lives Forever 1 and 2, fully patched and made to run on modern systems, apparently.

I don't like RPS, but I've got to give them some credit for this. In the worst case (or maybe best case depending on how you look at it), it'll incite the legal teams between all the different publishers to figure out who actually holds the rights, and then maybe Night Dive can acquire the license and give the games proper re-release (thought I imagine the code's been lost to time.)

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
You'd need nGlide and voodoo to get it working properly.

Uncle Kitchener fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jul 6, 2017

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Uncle Kitchener posted:

This but literally

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

Uncle Kitchener posted:

This kinda surprises me, as the Lithtech games leaned heavily into Direct 3D, which I assumed was rolled into DirectX.

So even if a wrapper is needed, I wouldn't have guessed that it would have been an OGL wrapper for an old OGL- Lite.

But then again, I don't know poo poo about API's.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Most likely a DirectX wrapper is more suited for this one. From personal experience and from what other people have said, most people will try the wrapper to even initialize the game in the first place. For some people NOLF1 works right out the box with NOLF2 being problematic and for others it's vice versa.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I played one of them for a short while back in the day. These games worth the trouble?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Any idea why NOLF1 wont let me change keybinds? It has F as shoot but binding to mouse doesn't work (it just resets when i exit the menu).

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Social Animal posted:

I played one of them for a short while back in the day. These games worth the trouble?

I'd say so, the first one I really dig, holds up for me.

I haven't tried these packages but just playing from the CD install (and probably with a patch or something I don't remember) I got to play these on windows 7 a few years ago. Actually it could have been Vista.

^No idea on the key kind thingy there.

Unrelated question, is there a way to get a Quake 3 server list without bots counted in the player count? So I don't keep going into servers that are all bots or half bots. Or a list of servers without bots as a filter option.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 6, 2017

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I played a little bit into NOLF1s first mission. Not a fan of its idea of 'stealth' (Crouchwalk without a toggle, pray that the guy you are sneaking up on doesn't arbitrarily hear your footsteps). That said, I didn't try turning off the autorun at the time so maybe that makes it better.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
NOLF1 doesn't hold up particularly well but 2 is still great as long as you remember to quick save often. Those games aren't afraid to just murder you out of nowhere.

e: and I just started it the other day but can confirm that Prey is indeed a fantastic new *Shock game

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

I reinstalled NOLF and NOLF2 a few months back, and I remember it being a huge pain in the neck to get it working in modern resolutions. Do these updated packs fix this by default?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Yodzilla posted:

NOLF1 doesn't hold up particularly well but 2 is still great as long as you remember to quick save often. Those games aren't afraid to just murder you out of nowhere.

Since I posted that NOLF1 does hold up well, and I like it better than 2, our posts cancel eachother out and explode!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Let's just agree that Contrack J.A.C.K. sucks balls.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Here's a talking about Duke Nukem with Randy Pitchford and Duke4 peeps live chat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPNrsNGHSpc

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
112 people are watching while a German man talks about how Duke Nukem inhabits a serious world full of terrorist attacks. Pitchford is playing with a Rubik's Cube. He looks like his soul has died

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Just let Duke die.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

This is why Jim Davis has chosen smoking. It represents a recklessness, a... a disregard for what some would define as the beauty of life. Garfield may die from the nicotine, he may not... He defies life; he sits defiant, saying nothing, but looking as if he could say... "Then let me die... it does not matter." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAh9oLs67Cw

Duke needs at least 10 original FPS games before he dies, hell, hopefully 20.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Duke is pretty much already dead. Just pull the plug. It's 2017. That kind of macho posturing is so passé.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Arivia posted:

Duke is pretty much already dead. Just pull the plug. It's 2017. That kind of macho posturing is so passé.

You don't have to play it, or get it apparently, there's plenty of other franchises for you to pay attention to.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Heavy Metal posted:

Please stop posting, and seek psychiatric help.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Lemon-Lime posted:

Please stop posting, and seek psychiatric help.

I love Third Strike, I have a Dreamcast by the way. What is the issue with the anti-Dukers on here? There are plenty of ongoing franchises I'm not into, I don't wish death upon them. Duke talks like a radio DJ and makes jokes all the time, while games like Gears of War have much more on the nose meathead characters. Duke by having humor and an element of parody/homage to vintage action movies is an idea that I'd think would not offend or annoy anyone in here. It's a character, it's fun, anybody creative could make a good game out of it. Does Serious Sam need to die also, who gets to live? How about DoomSlayer, he seems a bit testosterone heavy.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This looks awesome, and I want to play it.

give it a couple days and it'll be the starting map in episode 4 of Joy of Mapping 4

Arivia posted:

I don't think any sort of 'current year' commentary from anyone should ever be used for our great eternal lord Duke Nukem. We need more Douk, now and forever.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 7, 2017

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Diabetes Forecast posted:

give it a couple days and it'll be the starting map in episode 4 of Joy of Mapping 4

I don't think any sort of 'current year' commentary from anyone should ever be used for our great eternal lord Duke Nukem. We need more Douk, now and forever.

That is a groovy way of putting it!

Some news from that, the Bombshell build engine FPS game is now called Ion Maiden! Pretty cool name, also gives it another chance marketing wise.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Heavy Metal posted:

This is why Jim Davis has chosen smoking. It represents a recklessness, a... a disregard for what some would define as the beauty of life. Garfield may die from the nicotine, he may not... He defies life; he sits defiant, saying nothing, but looking as if he could say... "Then let me die... it does not matter." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAh9oLs67Cw

The circular frame of "Family Circus" is symbolic of the ouroboros, of the circle of life that is, itself, immortal. So when a toeheaded boy remarks to his mother, "Clean my room? But I'm not done getting Dirty!" we're basically witnessing a juvenile Duke Nukem who will age--but never die.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Heavy Metal posted:

Gonna take a long time to reach that since he currently has about 1 and 3/4.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
Duke Nukem 3D was and is a great game. Duke Nukem Forever was the complete, polar opposite of that.

Let Duke die. Or at least re-invent him, The Wrestler style.

Give us Duke with feelings. Give us Fragile Duke.

Give us the Duke Nukem who lost everything and who has no friends in the world and who is trying to figure out who he is in a world that he doesn't belong in. Let Duke rediscover himself.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
Duke Nukem Forever would have been infinitely better if Duke was how he is seen by everyone now: A washed-up has-been.

Imagine the Duke Nukem Forever intro of playing a remake of DN3D's final boss, and the camera zooms out, not to reveal Duke in a fabulous mansion getting sucked off by hot twins, but instead we're faced with a dejected, obese, unshaved Duke reliving his glory days in a white trash Vegas trailer park, bills stacked in the garbage, deep in debt after gambling his life away.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Heavy Metal posted:

You don't have to play it, or get it apparently, there's plenty of other franchises for you to pay attention to.

Duke's whole boys' club attitude is a perfect example of everything wrong with gaming that needs to be discarded to make games enjoyable to people other then men.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
Please don't go there I just want to shoot ogres

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
As long as it's owned by Gearbox, Duke will never be anything you want it to be.

the cool posts kid
Jul 24, 2007

group a: duke is an example of horrible toxic maculinity

group b: duke is a parody of horrible toxic maculinity

and never the twain shall meet

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

the cool posts kid posted:

group a: duke is an example of horrible toxic maculinity

group b: duke is a parody of horrible toxic maculinity

and never the twain shall meet

A is what we have and B is what I wish we had. There's great writing to be had from a babe-obsessed macho meathead full of one liners, the shame of it is nobody's actually done it yet.

Hand it over to Machinehead or Starbreeze and I guarantee they'd make something fantastic.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

john st john sounds so tired in the duke nukem world tour, and the new lines are so bad

also gearbox don't make games anyone wants, they take interesting premises that could be great and find a way to make them very tedious

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dewgy posted:

A is what we have and B is what I wish we had. There's great writing to be had from a babe-obsessed macho meathead full of one liners, the shame of it is nobody's actually done it yet.

Hand it over to Machinehead or Starbreeze and I guarantee they'd make something fantastic.

Johnny Bravo? The Anchorman series?

I think we've seen enough posts in this thread to show that Duke's fans don't take him as a parody. Furthermore, Duke isn't framed as a parody - he's always active, and narratively rewarded for his actions. No, Duke is just slumming it in sleaze for teenage boys. That was barely acceptable back then, and definitely isn't now.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

lol duke nukem owned this person badly

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Arivia posted:

Johnny Bravo? The Anchorman series?

I think we've seen enough posts in this thread to show that Duke's fans don't take him as a parody. Furthermore, Duke isn't framed as a parody - he's always active, and narratively rewarded for his actions. No, Duke is just slumming it in sleaze for teenage boys. That was barely acceptable back then, and definitely isn't now.

Actually if Duke was written like Johnny Bravo it'd be fantastic, so yes, you actually completely understand my point. (I meant by no one's done it yet I mean no one's done it with Duke Nukem, specifically.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

beyond anything else i'm struggling to think of what duke nukem, as an overall 'franchise', brings to the table that isn't already covered by other things in better ways. it's basically pretty much dead and i'm having a hard time caring