Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Fargin Icehole posted:

so what the gently caress happened guys, some of us don't follow this goddamn thread like blitzer's situation room

Nothing loving happened other than the j.patch being delayed for another 2 weeks and their schedule getting even more incomprehensible as they try to hype people for the actual j.patch 3.1 or 3.2 or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

A distress beacon is basically a flare in a different spectrum. The thing about the noise of space is that, as far as I know, it's fairly static (pun not intended). The stuff being emitted from stars and whatnot thousands of light-years away doesn't really change in the interval that something would theoretically be scanning the sky. I could be wrong though, but if you're scanning deep space every hour or whatever I figure you'll notice something changing like that.

But a flare is very short lived compared to a beacon type transmitter. Only useful for short ranges.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

https://twitter.com/listening2day/status/883172784796385280

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Experimental Skin posted:

But a flare is very short lived compared to a beacon type transmitter. Only useful for short ranges.

It's a space flare. Who knows what kind of longevity the space incendiaries have as they burn. In space.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

nawledgelambo posted:

what if the "game" was posting about star citizen, and the actual intent of star citizen was just a youtube tv series

Hahaha :D

IF!!!

Ahaha ha, ahhhhh.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's a space flare. Who knows what kind of longevity the space incendiaries have as they burn. In space.

Ok, you didn't specify space_material_waves_hands. I can't argue with that. I have some UEC somewhere...

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

"They did it" he applauds, at a fake demo for a nonexistent game.

It kills me that CIG is now completely synonymous with failure, even among the backers - so much so that if CIG does anything related to developing a game, they get loving applause and an "atta boy" from the faithful.

Even when it's fake.

Unbelievable.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Probably not very long considering that we are living in a verse where we still have to space mop and stack space cargo with our space hands.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

"They did it" he applauds, at a fake demo for a nonexistent game.

It kills me that CIG is now completely synonymous with failure, even among the backers - so much so that if CIG does anything related to developing a game, they get loving applause and an "atta boy" from the faithful.

Even when it's fake.

Unbelievable.

Looks like he's sold most of the fittings and furniture in his room to pay for his game lol :D

Edit: Glad I'm still getting the email spam :

LIVE Version : Alpha 2.6.3
PTU Version : None
PTU Test Groups : None

:lol:

Sabreseven fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jul 8, 2017

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Percelus posted:

spreading FUD i see, star citizen isn't about holding your handing and providing you with "scripted content" like thoughtfully designed areas swarming with enemy npcs. the star citizen is a more sophisticated gamer and seeks emergent gameplay so quit being a content locust and try moving a soda machine from one port to another like the faithful

can someone link me the soda memechine

i am out of the loop

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

thatguy posted:

My face when I make a working door in a videogame:

I'd like to save this pic to include in posts as a reply to Shitizens when they start moaning about the huge size of the alpha patch, patcher issues, terrible performance issues, broken mechanics, unpolished stuff, bugs and no content in 3.0.

It's definitely not the worse pic I'd have stored on my hdd, but then again, it's not worth it. Their anguish should be enough.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

:same:

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

Nicholas posted:

my gf just came by and asked what i was doing and i said 'posting about star citizen' and she sighed and went to the bedroom and fell asleep so i ask you who is the real loser here

Same with my wife

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
wrong thread!

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

apparently I cannot embed pics :/

AbstractNapper fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jul 8, 2017

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Nicholas posted:

my gf just came by and asked what i was doing and i said 'posting about star citizen' and she sighed and went to the bedroom and fell asleep so i ask you who is the real loser here
:same:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

its pretty good

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Derek Smart's Home for Wayward Space Sims > Star Citizen: A Treatise on Space Flares, Their Function and Use

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

A distress beacon is basically a flare in a different spectrum. The thing about the noise of space is that, as far as I know, it's fairly static (pun not intended). The stuff being emitted from stars and whatnot thousands of light-years away doesn't really change in the interval that something would theoretically be scanning the sky. I could be wrong though, but if you're scanning deep space every hour or whatever I figure you'll notice something changing like that.

My point is, you want something with longevity (because of the distances involved) and with a very clear pattern. Another constant (mainly) IR source in a system full of constant IR sources (because this is a space game and there are a bajillion of other ships, missiles, expended ammo, jettisoned cigar shipments and assorted junk out there) against a background of constant IR sources is… less than ideal.

Even if the concept is the same — having dedicated stations listening for the emergency flare frequency — they're not going to be as fast or precise as ones listening for a deliberately conspicuous and stand-out radio signal source.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
seriously someone post me the soda machine

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Will there be crossover flares with SotA?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

please do not accuse them of pouching crytek engineers

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I don't know who did this. But it's good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stKu5A2Jw-0

This one too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsTK6O5lrSk

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Beet Wagon posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Derek Smart's Home for Wayward Space Sims > Star Citizen: A Treatise on Space Flares, Their Function and Use

Well, hey. Even if CIG won't give due attention to realism when they imagine something new to simulate, someone has to. It's our duty as no-good forum-dwellers to get bogged down in exactly this type of minutia. :colbert:

I mean, what else are we to talk about? Star Citizen?

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Awesome! posted:

putting everything up as loan collateral is actually good for the game

I got very voted up for posting that. It was meant to be sarcastic.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Sillybones posted:

I got very voted up for posting that. It was meant to be sarcastic.

They may not care much about the laws of physics or corporate governance, but you can always bet on backers following Poe's Law to the letter.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

You can obviously see that all netcode tasks are done

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Tippis posted:

I mean, what else are we to talk about? Star Citizen?

Cruel, but fair.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Mirificus, it is time to stop. Put down your arms. Rest for a while.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I like that the guy is trying to portray rapt attention or something, being super engrossed.

When instead he looks pissed the gently caress off at what he has been given after almost six years and is waiting for results.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I tried the free alpha a while back on a lark and have been deleting an email a week ever since. I used to think it was really funny and had much schadenfreude for the whole thing, but now it just looks like a bunch of sad, old men who've wasted their savings and ruined their marriages.
:smith:

They've had twice as long as Daikatana but not even half as long as DNF...using that scale: where will the final release fall?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

The most devious thing about Star Citizen is if you go to the RSI website, and you're new, it looks like there's an awesome game you need to buy into immediately.

Then you do buy in, download it, and find out it's a glitchy mess with nothing to do.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

spacetoaster posted:

The most devious thing about Star Citizen is if you go to the RSI website, and you're new, it looks like there's an awesome game you need to buy into immediately.

Then you do buy in, download it, and find out it's a glitchy mess with nothing to do.
It's almost too delicious to believe my friend.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

spacetoaster posted:

Do you really have to ask?

Oh, I meant more that the antifa whatever vroup mjstve been Communist consider tbeir list of anti- stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
God damned phone