Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007
Swapped the Tigcraft full system on my Tuono for a Arrow full system. Mostly because I noticed a small crack had formed.

My ears are still ringing but I think my bike just got louder. It was nice that it only took me about 2 hours to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

EvilCrayon posted:

Swapped the Tigcraft full system on my Tuono for a Arrow full system. Mostly because I noticed a small crack had formed.

My ears are still ringing but I think my bike just got louder. It was nice that it only took me about 2 hours to do it.

Nice, got a clip of it?

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I resprung my SV forks and rode it for a while yesterday. It's nice.

Hooray Dialysis
May 20, 2007

everything is cool
Voyaging into the maddening world of wheel building. Got the front wheel trued up last night around 12:30.

Today I started on the rear wheel, realized I laced it wrong, relaced, then tightened the spokes wrong so I had threads showing when I was hitting the right torque setting. So now I'm on round..... 3 (?) of truing the rear wheel. Hopefully I'll be done before midnight. Still beats the ~$400 the local shop wanted to charge me.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Helped herd baby ducks across the freeway!

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2014/12/17/canada-ducklings-highway-fatal-court/20513845/

gently caress ducks

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Show of hands: how many here have pinched a hole in a tube putting it back on the rim? I really should have bought proper tire spoons, a wheel stand, and probably a bike stand at some point.

Cheap eBay bar end mirrors to replace the cracked ones from my last misadventure.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Revvik posted:

Show of hands: how many here have pinched a hole in a tube putting it back on the rim? I really should have bought proper tire spoons, a wheel stand, and probably a bike stand at some point.

Cheap eBay bar end mirrors to replace the cracked ones from my last misadventure.

Yo

Even with proper spoons, I pinched the last one I did.

I was careful, too.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I watched a friend change his own tires once and after that have had no problems paying the shop 20 bucks per wheel to do it for me

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Fukken grease up that tube or baby powder or something don't just dry dick it

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Razzled posted:

I watched a friend change his own tires once and after that have had no problems paying the shop 20 bucks per wheel to do it for me

20 a wheel? That rocks. I'm not sure the shops around here would mount and balance for 20 a wheel if you buy the tires there, even the independent joints.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

I've pinched tubes before. Loosely inflated and really powdered up, too. My technique must've just sucked.

When I found out the Ninja 250 I was buying a couple of years ago rolls on tubeless wheels, I was so relieved.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

GriszledMelkaba posted:

Fukken grease up that tube or baby powder or something don't just dry dick it

This. Just find the cheapest talcum powder at the store and you won't smash another tire scrotum again.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Just cross-postin some of the picture of where I'm at with the vaporwave electronic gauge cluster for the Hawk GT

Lots and lots of work but it's gradually coming together :toot:

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jul 8, 2017

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Goddamn that's coming along superbly

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Just cross-postin some of the picture of where I'm at with the vaporwave electronic gauge cluster for the Hawk GT

Are those squares above and below going to be a rev counter/shift indicator or something? Please tell me they are.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Sagebrush posted:

That's going to look loving rad on a zrx.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Sagebrush posted:

You're awesome, this is awesome.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

This owns and is ridiculously cool looking. I can't wait to see it in action!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Revvik posted:

You rang?

This https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/726/20307/Tusk-17%22-Mega-Tire-Iron
And this https://www.denniskirk.com/284154.sku?gclid=CNqO197h-dQCFYKEswodvYgH5g
Make things a LOT easier for me.

Sagebrush posted:

This is good.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Revvik posted:

the motion pro levers have little hooks on the end that fit on the rim and make things a whole lot easier. using the big rounded end spoons is asking to ruin tubes. you can get a jug of tire lube (Ru-Glyde) from napa for 10 dollars and don't be shy with it

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Sagebrush, you are a legend. I want one, and I don't even have a bike it would suit.

Hooray Dialysis
May 20, 2007

everything is cool

Revvik posted:

I pitched 2 tubes the last time I put new tires on the KLX, and 1 was after I used baby powder. I think I've got it figured out on the right way to go about it now though. That being said, my wheels are at the shop right now getting tires put on, mostly because I don't want to scratch up the shiny new Warp9 wheels I have.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Coydog posted:

Sagebrush, you are a legend. I want one, and I don't even have a bike it would suit.

It suits all bike from 1970 onward.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PathAsc posted:

Goddamn that's coming along superbly

Coydog posted:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This owns and is ridiculously cool looking. I can't wait to see it in action!

Renaissance Robot posted:

You're awesome, this is awesome.

Thanks! I'm pretty stoked with how it's turning out. The electronics and code are mostly working, and I'm currently fixing up some of the 3D models to make them a little more suitable for printing. Tolerancing is pretty important, especially around the screen, which is a raw chunk of glass so I am printing three-dimensional gaskets out of TPE but the material's quite squishy and doesn't hold perfect accuracy so you have to print a part and then measure what you actually got and compensate and yada yada.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Are those squares above and below going to be a rev counter/shift indicator or something? Please tell me they are.

Yes, of course. :P They're addressable RGB LED strips. The top one is going to be a tachometer and the bottom one shows the idiot lights (turn/neutral/oil/high beam), but since it's all software they could do anything. I'm considering having a "night mode" setting where it's very subtle and non-distracting -- the screen goes off and the LED strips turn on dim red, the top one showing RPM and the bottom one showing speed somehow. Maybe a segmented bar with each group of three LEDs representing 10mph or something.

Chichevache posted:

That's going to look loving rad on a zrx.

Chichevache posted:

It suits all bike from 1970 onward.

IMO it suits bikes with the correct '80s ~aesthetic~. A ZRX would be relatively well suited cause it's got a kind of mid-90s look, but really it would slot in best on things like an early VFR, the CX turbos, a Suzuki Katana, that kind of stuff. The relatively straight-lined transitional period between round bubbly '70s bikes and blobular computer-modeled '90s fairings. The Hawk GT doesn't actually scream "1980s!" like some of those do -- it's a pretty timeless design IMO. But there are subtle things I'm doing here to make it match, like for instance the radii of curvature of the edges of the gauge housing are identical to the curvature of the sides of the Hawk's gas tank.

I'm trying to make the display look like the future of motorcycling as imagined at the 1987 Tokyo motor show, so imagine what else would have been there and that's what it'll fit.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 8, 2017

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Yes, of course. :P They're addressable RGB LED strips. The top one is going to be a tachometer and the bottom one shows the idiot lights (turn/neutral/oil/high beam), but since it's all software they could do anything. I'm considering having a "night mode" setting where it's very subtle and non-distracting -- the screen goes off and the LED strips turn on dim red, the top one showing RPM and the bottom one showing speed somehow. Maybe a segmented bar with each group of three LEDs representing 10mph or something.

Even though I'm probably older than you, is there any way we can arrange for you to adopt me? I can hand you your tools and you can ruffle my hair.

Seriously though that is truly awesome and I suspect (if you can get the fabrication cost/hassle down from "labour of love") you'd be able to sell those by the boatload. Probably enough to afford to buy and restore an OG Katana, which is what that display is made for.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
i wish my bike had an oled dash, that is cool stuff.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

Thanks! I'm pretty stoked with how it's turning out. The electronics and code are mostly working, and I'm currently fixing up some of the 3D models to make them a little more suitable for printing. Tolerancing is pretty important, especially around the screen, which is a raw chunk of glass so I am printing three-dimensional gaskets out of TPE but the material's quite squishy and doesn't hold perfect accuracy so you have to print a part and then measure what you actually got and compensate and yada yada.

IMO it suits bikes with the correct '80s ~aesthetic~. A ZRX would be relatively well suited cause it's got a kind of mid-90s look, but really it would slot in best on things like an early VFR, the CX turbos, a Suzuki Katana, that kind of stuff. The relatively straight-lined transitional period between round bubbly '70s bikes and blobular computer-modeled '90s fairings. The Hawk GT doesn't actually scream "1980s!" like some of those do -- it's a pretty timeless design IMO. But there are subtle things I'm doing here to make it match, like for instance the radii of curvature of the edges of the gauge housing are identical to the curvature of the sides of the Hawk's gas tank.

I'm trying to make the display look like the future of motorcycling as imagined at the 1987 Tokyo motor show, so imagine what else would have been there and that's what it'll fit.

It would also look good on a 1st/2nd gen SV650, since those are just newer versions of the Hawk from a different manufacturer. If you ever make one for a gen 1 SV, I'll buy one.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Not today but the past week and a half:
-replaced the tiny round mirrors I had mounted on the bars with mirrors that allow me to actually see what's behind me, I think they fit the bike pretty well. Originally it had ugly round mickey mouse mirrors.
-added an extra mirror mount for my RAM ball now that I'm back to using the clutch perch for a mirror
-wheel striping, man this really ties the bike together
-re-wrapped the first panel I did, it's actually turned out decent now. Still 5 hours of work or so.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Sagebrush, you wanna build one for the CBX? Happy to alpha test and fund development / do a codes in exchange :)

Z3n fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 8, 2017

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Will it run on 6v? The gauges on my f11 are shot

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Maybe if there's sufficient interest once I get this one working I'll look into a more saleable version. :P Given that this is the prototype, there's a lot of really labor-intensive work to put it together. At the very least I'd want to make some custom PCBs -- that would vastly simplify both the electronics and the internal layout.

Yes, in the currrent iteration it should run on 6v as there's a buck-boost converter to supply the 12v that the OLED requires.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Finally found some original documentation to study on the Ner-a-car I'll hopefully be riding in the Motorcycle Cannonball next year.
http://www.butchwax.com/wp-content/uploads/neracar/neracar-us-parts-list.pdf
Amazing how hard it is to find info on this thing. Some Dutch guy on eBay wants $80 for an owner's manual but I dunno how I feel about the Dutch.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ882QYzr-M

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Probably enough to afford to buy and restore an OG Katana, which is what that display is made for.

Yeah I was gonna say that display + Katana would be perfect.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Put some blind spot mirrors on. Truly I am machine master :jerkbag:

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-
I installed the Hotbodies MGP Growler (aka the cheapest slip-on I could find) on my CB300F.

Pros:
- it looks much, much nicer than the giant chrome tube that comes stock with the bike
- it gives my little thumper a nice beefy sound at lower rpms

Cons:
- it's loving LOUD at higher rpms
- there's significant torque loss at the low end, more than I expected
- IT'S. SO. loving. LOUD. Like, hearing damage loud.

I'm trying to track down a baffle for it, which supposedly remedies both my cons, but they're sold out everywhere. :argh:

Also I crushed the poo poo out of the pipe gasket while installing so I'll have to replace that soon.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
So, would you say your bike has a growler? :q:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

dumb. posted:

I installed the Hotbodies MGP Growler (aka the cheapest slip-on I could find) on my CB300F.

Pros:
- it looks much, much nicer than the giant chrome tube that comes stock with the bike
- it gives my little thumper a nice beefy sound at lower rpms

Cons:
- it's loving LOUD at higher rpms
- there's significant torque loss at the low end, more than I expected
- IT'S. SO. loving. LOUD. Like, hearing damage loud.

I'm trying to track down a baffle for it, which supposedly remedies both my cons, but they're sold out everywhere. :argh:

Also I crushed the poo poo out of the pipe gasket while installing so I'll have to replace that soon.

This is why cheap slipons are stupid. Just put the stock muffler back on and quit worrying about your image.

But if you're set on having a loud gutless bike, Delkevic sells pretty much any muffler gasket dimension you could want, and they ship quickly and are affordable. They have a store on ebay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Wear earplugs.