Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

TwoStepBoog posted:

the worst movie i've seen recently is The Lobster
like i know it's supposed to be a super dry comedy but gently caress it was drrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakkro
May 29, 2015

I dug The Lobster, except for the narration.

Stop narration in movies pls

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Jazerus posted:

like y'know the article from a few days ago about the covert influence of the military on hollywood? the slant in dkr is so obvious i wouldn't be surprised if nypd used similar "free assets in exchange for editorial control" agreements

also :laffo: wayne enterprises is trump tower in that movie

Eh, they're still enjoyable movies even with terrible politics. The political message of Wonder Woman is loving awful, but it's a good flick.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Wonder Woman sucked for the 40 minutes I watched of it before falling asleep. New Spider-Man was alright as a fun popcorn flick

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

PostNouveau posted:

Eh, they're still enjoyable movies even with terrible politics. The political message of Wonder Woman is loving awful, but it's a good flick.

I wouldn't call it good but it's definitely entertaining to watch.

zakkro
May 29, 2015

My favorite take on WW was somebody praising the character as depicted in the movie, because she was "a pacifist."

Which. What.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

PostNouveau posted:

Is Thor 2 the worst Marvel movie? I can't remember a drat thing about it. It's probably even worse than the Hulks.
:same:

I tried to look up the trailer for the new Thor movie when it came out and ended up on the Dark World and almost got through the entire thing before I realized I was on the wrong movie that I had already seen and completely forgot about.

Ragnorak looks trippy, tho. Like that we're headed into psychedelic 70s sci-fantasy with the Marvel Universe

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Super hero movies huh well batman is just a rich guy beating up the mentally ill and I'm literally the first person to ever think of this :smug:

zakkro
May 29, 2015

Knight posted:

Ragnorak looks trippy, tho. Like that we're headed into psychedelic 70s sci-fantasy with the Marvel Universe

I still haven't seen What We Do in the Shadows, but I have seen Hunt for the Wilderpeople, and really really liked it.

Ragnarok better be great, dammit.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Spoeank posted:

Super hero movies huh well batman is just a rich guy beating up the mentally ill and I'm literally the first person to ever think of this :smug:
What if Bruce Wayne is the disguise? Whoa man

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

zakkro posted:

My favorite take on WW was somebody praising the character as depicted in the movie, because she was "a pacifist."

Which. What.

Hahaha, she kills so many people. She just puts a sword right through that coked-up general.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

zakkro posted:

I still haven't seen What We Do in the Shadows, but I have seen Hunt for the Wilderpeople, and really really liked it.

Ragnarok better be great, dammit.

Tupac is a good doggo

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I appreciate the politics of the DC movies because they are unintentionally accurate portrayals of how the appearance of morals is stupid, heroes don't exist, and nothing matters.

zakkro
May 29, 2015

PostNouveau posted:

Hahaha, she kills so many people. She just puts a sword right through that coked-up general.

Like, sure, she wants to end war. But she wants to accomplish it by murdering the embodiment of war lol

Stefan Prodan posted:

Tupac is a good doggo

Def. Real majestical

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

movies r cool

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I appreciate the politics of the DC movies because they are unintentionally accurate portrayals of how the appearance of morals is stupid, heroes don't exist, and nothing matters.

Zach Snyder being an accidental nihilist actually works for all his movies I can think of off the top of my head.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I think Gal Gadot and her portrayal of Wonder Woman was better than the movie itself. It's faint praise, but she was the best part of BVS, and will probably be the best part of JL too.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

Knight posted:

What if Bruce Wayne is the disguise? Whoa man

u know how batman vs superman should be a foregone conclusion because superman would just nuke him instantly with eye lasers or something.

well

what if that wasnt the case? :thunk:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

zakkro posted:

Like, sure, she wants to end war. But she wants to accomplish it by murdering the embodiment of war lol

it's a v. ancient greek way to do it

murder ares, sleep peacefully

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

whatsapp me if you want another million movie musings

most of them revolve around how batman would instantly die anywhere...BUT DOESNT

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

PostNouveau posted:

Zach Snyder being an accidental nihilist actually works for all his movies I can think of off the top of my head.

agreed but I think he was trying to focus on aestetics instead

Chunky Salsa
Aug 31, 2016

"Isn't that right, Zach?"

zakkro posted:

Wonder Woman's entire thing has been that yeah she's a good person who'll try her best to pacify an enemy, but if said enemy deserve it she will absolutely murder the poo poo out of them

This naturally sets her a bit apart from Bats and Supes, but her enemies don't tend to come back without some kind of bullshit ressurection

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
superman dies for humanity even tho humanity sucks

"lol wtf is this grimdark objectivist bullshit, nothing matters"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

seriously who castts david thewlis as tough god ares? I mean just lol

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

gently caress i hope everyone has seen it already

zakkro
May 29, 2015

Alan Smithee posted:

gently caress i hope everyone has seen it already

Don't worry, you could be talking about Naked

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

*scoffs heartily at decline at bbc, puffs pipe*

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
WW1 was actually because of a crafty war god right? Humans would never do anything that awful to each other without an evil god manipulating them, right?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

deadgoon posted:

superman dies for humanity even tho humanity sucks

"lol wtf is this grimdark objectivist bullshit, nothing matters"

he doesn't die for humanity, he dies fighting a zombie of the evil general who chased him to earth to use the skull that got dissolved into his DNA to make more aliens

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

my favorite movie of all time is Home Alone 2

misdirectomy
Feb 19, 2008
Did Sarah Palin ever clarify what she was talking about when she said 14 words or is that a laughably naive assumption

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

WW1 was actually because of a crafty war god right? Humans would never do anything that awful to each other without an evil god manipulating them, right?

imperialism is a type of crafty war god i guess??

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

he doesn't die for humanity, he dies fighting a zombie of the evil general who chased him to earth to use the skull that got dissolved into his DNA to make more aliens

how do YOU personally die for humanity then wiseguy, this seems fairly textbook

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

TwoStepBoog posted:

my favorite movie of all time is Home Alone 2

I've never seen it all the way through. I watched the original religiously, but my parents would never let me watch 2 for some unknown reason. Probably Trump.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I've never seen it all the way through. I watched the original religiously, but my parents would never let me watch 2 for subs unknown reason. Probably Trump.

because the dove lady was a harlot who is unfit for childrens eyes

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
For me the Home Alone 2 pushed the cartoony slapstick injuries + human actors things beyond the limit and I started thinking that those thieves actually had irreparable brain damage from being hit by bricks and stuff and it became pretty morbid.

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

he dies fighting a zombie of the evil general who chased him to earth to use the skull that got dissolved into his DNA to make more aliens

wtf did i just say

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Nichael posted:

I think Gal Gadot and her portrayal of Wonder Woman was better than the movie itself. It's faint praise, but she was the best part of BVS, and will probably be the best part of JL too.

I dunno. A lot of her charm in WW was her naively plowing through the social conventions of the time. But in the other movies she'll have lived like 90 years with men and won't have that.

Also she'll be directed by Zach Snyder.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

• Locked thread