Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

French DD Cyclone

I want it. I love me some DDs. I hope they also throw on a French BB line at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I want it. I love me some DDs. I hope they also throw on a French BB line at some point.

They will, but RN battleships are next, then presumably Russian battleships with Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya already floating about. Beyond that is a crap shoot, because they never stick to the original plan they announce at the start of the year - which was German DDs, "more RN lines", two French lines, and the Soviet DD split.

Speaking of, they have enough ships to do a similar split to the Soviet DDs, regular destroyers to T 53 in one, and the big and fast contre-torpilleurs to Mogador from tier 6 in the other.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jul 6, 2017

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Regia Marina destroyers.. someday.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Got to Rank 11 tonight in style:

Had three straight high caliber games (only 2 wins) in my Arizona, and I'm really starting to get comfortable with the format/ship, though ranked feels like a slog. Aside from overachievers like Hazdoc, where is everyone else right now?

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

I haven't really been active a lot here or on the discord, though I have been keeping up and playing now and then.

Made it to 9 last season, hopefully I can bang my head against a brick wall long enough to rank out.

Sparkledancer in game, some of you have played with me before I think.

I'm 150k ish away from Des Moines. I really like the Baltimore, the New Orleans was good as well. I like US cruisers, you lose torps but gain great concealment, fantastic AA, and that amazing AP cannot be overstated. It hits hard. Radar is .. radar. Use it. Pray your team notices you used it. I got through the Pensacola before the buffs, and it really taught me a lot about how to position myself and mitigate the punishment you take for making mistakes. Then I got the Indy when it came out, and it just felt like what the Pensacola should have been. Now I'm kinda spoiled by the Baltimore.

I'm really looking forward to the Des Moines, the videos I've watched make it seem so drat fun.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Been playing sparsely due to July long weekend. At 9 atm. Disappointing 62% win rate atm. I blame playing while I am tired and being match up a lot vs a pay to win version of my own ship.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:

thanks wg

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
That's a bad team right there Pokchu

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
Ryujo is 600 WTR, the fubuki and leander both got baited by the enemy CV poking out into detection range, then running back to his team, leading to us being 3 ships down immediately.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I'm surprised that they thought to have both players not lose a star in the event of a tie.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
EU has a decent deal on Saipan up today. I already have Saipan but the bundle is good - if I bought this to get the other stuff would i get doubloons back or something?

nodm
Jul 17, 2011
I just did this, twice. You can actually buy both Saipan bundles and get 9500 doubloons for each Saipan in addition to 30 days of premium and a bunch of flags.
Probably gonna use the 19000 doubloons to buy Alabama and a few other tech tree premiums, but will wait a few days to see if they get a discount too.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Yeah I found a post on Reddit about this too. I already bought the bigger bundle and now need to decide if I need another 9.5k doubloons from the smaller ones. I don't really need them for anything in particular right now. I think I'd be most likely to buy a few perma-camoflages for T10s. I'd have about 23k doubloons so still miles away from something like the Missouri although if they did have doubloon sales on the Kutusov and/or Scharnhorst I would be tempted.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
Did you get the 3x experience bundles too with the Saipan?

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Yep although I didn't realise they were exclusive to the Saipan ie I hoped they could be used on any ship. I guess my Midway captain will be hitting 19 points fairly soon.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
The hardest part about ranked is just how random the level of play is. It is easy-ish to swing games by yourself up to around rank 12-10, where you start seeing mixtures of people who lucked their way up there, and people that are actually good. You either get some really close, down to the wire games, or complete blowouts like you wouldn't believe.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:

wdarkk posted:

I'm surprised that they thought to have both players not lose a star in the event of a tie.

that was my first exact thought

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I made it to rank 10 yesterday. I feel like I have most influence in games in a DD, though I'm not good enough to consistently carry a team. There's enough people who are good enough to click red botes and hit them, but not good enough to understand positioning well, and in a DD I can smoke them up, spot for them, etc. I generally don't bother shooting unless there's another dd to fight or it's late game and I can safely smoke up and annoy some BB.

It seems like the blowouts happen when a team has a preponderance of retards or if a team's dd's are annihilated early on in the match.

Krataar posted:

Everybody says the Cleveland is still a monster post nerfs, but I'm just not sure how I should be playing the thing. I do "ok" in it.

Do you have IFHE? I don't think a Cleveland really shines post-nerf until one has that and I'd suggest getting it over CE on a 10 point captain. Also, in Ranked if there are CV's the Cleveland shreds planes.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
DDs will absolutely win ranked games, but they are... somewhat dependent on your team. If your BBs aren't using your spots and they're sailing through your smoke without using it, if your cruisers aren't beating up on their DDs, etc, you will probably explode. DD heavy games are hard as gently caress because you will take damage fighting other DDs.

BBs can swing games by their lonesome. If you're a decent enough BB player in a BB that isn't poo poo, you should have no problem hitting rank 8. Probably the easiest class due to endurance and being able to do damage.

CLs can do a lot of damage, but there are too many random variables that screw them over. Some maps guarantee you getting spotted before you can get to cover. Any idiot BB player, no matter how bad, can shave off huge portions of your health with a single hit. Good BB players will ignore every other target whenever they have shots on you. You will die. Good for when there's a ton of DDs in the queue tho.

You can win in CLs, but there are a lot more variables than a BB/DD.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
My biggest issue with playing DDs right now in ranked is that compared to last season it's incredibly hard to be a good guy for your team (smoke, spot, area deny,) and still get enough xp to even consider not losing a star, since being spotted in a DD right now means you're going to take massive amounts of BB AP Overpen damage while not getting damage saturated at all.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

pretty good game I guess

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So apparently the problems I was having with my Talon app were due to giving the wrong email address for my game store. WHOOOPS :doh:

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

How are people finding the Farragut in ranked? I only have a Warspite and the Farragut for my tier 6s (still working on unlocking the Shinonome), but I really prefer DD play. Is the concealment a big issue? I have an 11 point captain with CE.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Like every BB player in ranked is toxic as hell and they do nothing but screech endlessly when their team fails to save them from themselves.

I guess that isn't much different from random games.

Trillhouse posted:

How are people finding the Farragut in ranked? I only have a Warspite and the Farragut for my tier 6s (still working on unlocking the Shinonome), but I really prefer DD play. Is the concealment a big issue? I have an 11 point captain with CE.

The Farragut is pretty good. I don't have CE. You'll be able to take Japanese DDs in a fight, ( if you can see them ), smoke for your team ( if they use it ), scout, and use your torps to clear out smoke or waste late game BBs who are dicking around.

The only thing you have to worry about is a good CL hounding you to death, or a Gnev, and Gnevs are rare.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Is the Gnevnyy any good in ranked? I have one but haven't touched it since the Rus DD split.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

Sperglord Actual posted:

Is the Gnevnyy any good in ranked? I have one but haven't touched it since the Rus DD split.

Good gunboat but 4km torps, so pretty shite overall for ranked. Anshan is a gnevny with 8km torps and is pretty drat good.

Premium bias? nah

Iceshade fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 7, 2017

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Sperglord Actual posted:

Depends. You can basically take any DD you come up against, and your guns are good, but your ability to scout is limited. My gut says you could probably ride it for a while if you just use it to merc other DDs and succeed in doing that much before you die.

Could also be good for lighting up the endless amounts of stationary BBs.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Sperglord Actual posted:

No. Its a bad DD. It won't beat a Farragut in a brawl, and a good Shinonome/Fubuki won't fight you near your team... and they'll always dictate the engagement range, meaning they get to turn away and take the first shot. Chasing down a Shinonome is probably a very, very bad idea, as it gets 4 guns on you while showing only stern, and it is much easier to hit a DD approaching you than it is to hit one fleeing.

So the Gnevny has trouble chasing Shinonomes, can't really force Farraguts to fight them unless you're already winning, and its DD utility is low, as it doesn't outspot anything, can't torp smokes effectively, and its smoke is no better than IJN smoke (and inferior clearly to US smoke). I would say its better than the Gaede, but the Gaede has sonar to help BB avoid getting torped, and can torp somewhat effectively, so yeah. The Gnevny is the worst choice for T6 DD.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

The Farragut is pretty good. I don't have CE. You'll be able to take Japanese DDs in a fight, ( if you can see them ), smoke for your team ( if they use it ), scout, and use your torps to clear out smoke or waste late game BBs who are dicking around.

The only thing you have to worry about is a good CL hounding you to death, or a Gnev, and Gnevs are rare.

Also you can't stealth torp, which makes it hard to carry late in the game in a 2v2 or 1v2 against battleships. It's definitely more team oriented than Shinonome.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
You kind of can, it just requires you to exploit positioning/terrain and make some good guesses about where people are going. It's no Fubuki, but you can still surprise people.

If you're at a level where you can depend on your team, I would say the Fubuki or the Hatsu are better, especially in BB heavy games. If you don't rely on the kindness of strangers, use the Farragut.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I decided to try the public test server and the currency system is down so I can't even repair my drat ships after a battle. Is this happening to anyone else?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Aeroon tries out operation dynamo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJZJ_HpnELY

Looks pretty fun. And I suspect the reason those two DDs are available is specifically for this mission as that appears to be some wonderful aa and hello there defensive fire. Kind of like chaffee racing and the tub boats.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOKZmpnu91Y

The rare time Flamu is not actually that right about things. You need to angle way more than he does in the video. The idiots shooting at him don't know where to aim.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
You know, I wouldn't mind ranked nearly so much if I wasn't losing stars for things beyond my control, like, "Some idiot brought an Indy and he's on your team, lose one star." or "A battleship on your team crashed out and never reloaded, drop a rank."

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

pokchu posted:

My biggest issue with playing DDs right now in ranked is that compared to last season it's incredibly hard to be a good guy for your team (smoke, spot, area deny,) and still get enough xp to even consider not losing a star, since being spotted in a DD right now means you're going to take massive amounts of BB AP Overpen damage while not getting damage saturated at all.

As a BB player, i'm loving this. Last night I just couldnt carry hard enough and went 1-5. But didnt lose any ground because I finished top on my team four times out of five losses. In past seasons it seemed like even the most brain dead DD driver could grab the open cap, run into some torps and still skate right to the top of your exp board.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Dynamo was fun with an organised group. Our one random pubbie drove into the minefield and exploded though.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Hazdoc posted:

No. Its a bad DD. It won't beat a Farragut in a brawl, and a good Shinonome/Fubuki won't fight you near your team... and they'll always dictate the engagement range, meaning they get to turn away and take the first shot. Chasing down a Shinonome is probably a very, very bad idea, as it gets 4 guns on you while showing only stern, and it is much easier to hit a DD approaching you than it is to hit one fleeing.

So the Gnevny has trouble chasing Shinonomes, can't really force Farraguts to fight them unless you're already winning, and its DD utility is low, as it doesn't outspot anything, can't torp smokes effectively, and its smoke is no better than IJN smoke (and inferior clearly to US smoke). I would say its better than the Gaede, but the Gaede has sonar to help BB avoid getting torped, and can torp somewhat effectively, so yeah. The Gnevny is the worst choice for T6 DD.

The only flaw here is most players are awful and you can beat them with whatever. Of course it won't be the case so much in lower ranks. Just last night I was playing in my Fubuki in a 10-15 game. Towards the end of the match I was at like 350hp. I turned around an island and an almost full hp enemy Farragut was RIGHT THERE. I was doomed of course, but my guns were pointed at him and it was too close to miss, so I fired anyway. He smoked up and hid inside it. Sadly torps into the smoke hit nothing, but I was able to sail away unharmed and unspotted and went on to spot and torp poo poo for the rest of the match.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I just got back into this after a long break. What's the word on the german and (new) japanese DDs and french cruisers? Should I be looking at any of these trees as someone who mostly plays DDs and cruisers?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

bloom posted:

I just got back into this after a long break. What's the word on the german and (new) japanese DDs and french cruisers? Should I be looking at any of these trees as someone who mostly plays DDs and cruisers?

French cruisers from tier 2 to tier 6 are all excellent light cruisers, not great armour, but agile, and have long range HE spaming guns with a damage potential probably only exceeded by Cleveland, and their gimmick is that they get the speed boost module, which lets them straight line outta dodge at Russian DD speed. Can't speak for after that tier, but they seem to be fairly similar, albeit heavy cruisers rather than light. They're sort of a cross between IJN and US cruisers. I like them anyway.

German DDs up to tier 4 have hilarious forward firing torps that are a lot of fun to joust with. The Tier 5 German DD is a contender for pound for pound worst ship in game, it's just plain awful. After that it's... an ok line, but I don't think any of them are ever a first choice ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
Almost rank 10 now mostly on the back of my Nurnberg, I just love that ship to bits. With the german HE buff I can dump fire and HE dmg all over the enemy BBs when I can't shoot at their DDs. Can't abuse islands as hard as the Cleaveland, but having that extra 2km range somewhat makes up for it. It's even more amazing how well this has worked considering that I don't have CE on it yet. Also the fact that I have run into very few CVs so far, geting to keep my hydro has been useful now and then.

Morbidly curious now how far I can claw my way up with this floating citadel.