Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mors Rattus posted:

There's a boxing manga where the love interest gets injured and forced to retire from sports in high school and gets pretty chunky, but I forget the name. It's nice that she remains the love interest through that.

Ah, I remember this! Do you remember what it's called and if it's finished? All I remember is what you mentioned plus her love interest becoming a really good boxer during the same timeskip she became chunky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Ytlaya posted:

Ah, I remember this! Do you remember what it's called and if it's finished? All I remember is what you mentioned plus her love interest becoming a really good boxer during the same timeskip she became chunky.

Buyuden. It's finished, and I recall the ending being lackluster. (Mostly because I feel it was rushed and cannot recall them even kissing. Kiss, drat you, you both want to!)

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
New Kaguya

Hayasaka's ninja training on full display this chapter.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

ZiegeDame posted:

New Kaguya

Hayasaka's ninja training on full display this chapter.

lol Kaguya's tirade was great. :discourse:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
New Vampiress Lord, in which our protagonist mainly just messes with people.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

StandardVC10 posted:

New Vampiress Lord, in which our protagonist mainly just messes with people.

I'm glad the class rep still fails to warn her by the end

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

You know, I want one of these romance series to have actual real drama that involves the protagonist or their love interest making a real mistake. It's really common for drama to start up over something that may have been ill-advised but is generally misunderstood and not terribly morally indefensible on its own. It would be interesting to have a series where either the protagonist or their end-game love interest flat out cheated without any excuses (i.e. not "I walked home with him/her and it was misunderstood" but actually legit cheating). Or, heck, just people randomly losing interest in one another (which is obviously extremely common with teenagers).

Tokyo Tareba Girls handles this problem well and I recc'd it if you like Jellyfish Princess. The MC goes over how she ended up breaking up w/a high-spec BF because they have different interests/personalities that ended up crashing during dates. It's a bittersweet feeling since the guy:

1) Considerate personality
2) Good hobbies/no video gaem
3) Liked cooking and cleaning
4) Great fashion sense

I would date this imaginary guy and I hate everyone except cats.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Alder posted:

Tokyo Tareba Girls handles this problem well and I recc'd it if you like Jellyfish Princess. The MC goes over how she ended up breaking up w/a high-spec BF because they have different interests/personalities that ended up crashing during dates. It's a bittersweet feeling since the guy:

1) Considerate personality
2) Good hobbies/no video gaem
3) Liked cooking and cleaning
4) Great fashion sense

I would date this imaginary guy and I hate everyone except cats.

I think he's based on Higashimura's RL boyfriend, not sure about cooking/cleaning but the rest checks out from what I've read

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Vesi posted:

I think he's based on Higashimura's RL boyfriend, not sure about cooking/cleaning but the rest checks out from what I've read

Probably. I can't read JPN but isn't her husband a younger guy who worked in fashion though? I still don't like Blondie even though we're the same age and jaded af :shrug:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Honey So Sweet vol 7 is out now (mine is already shipped!!)

If you need a pure and healing shoujo this is the one. Nao and Taiga are the most precious couple and everything about this is cute and fluffy.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I had a post about this but lost it when my computer decided to be dumb so here's a twitter instead

https://twitter.com/sylph_amw/status/850305680573583360
"[Her] body is a man's. But, [she] wants to love as a woman--". From KOKO Suwaru and MORIHASHI Bingo, a transgender tale of anguish and love, "This Love Has No Future."

http://www.mangago.me/read-manga/kono_koi_ni_mirai_wa_nai/

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Everything Burrito posted:

I had a post about this but lost it when my computer decided to be dumb so here's a twitter instead

"[Her] body is a man's. But, [she] wants to love as a woman--". From KOKO Suwaru and MORIHASHI Bingo, a transgender tale of anguish and love, "This Love Has No Future."

http://www.mangago.me/read-manga/kono_koi_ni_mirai_wa_nai/

I'm actually reading the author's previous (?) light novel series, Kono Koi to, Sono Mirai, about, er, a high school guy who ends up in a dorm room with a female-to-male transgender and falls in love. About halfway through the 6th and final volume. Wonder if that manga is a sequel.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
No clue, tbh I just started reading it thinking it was the usual BL and found that in the comments. I know it's come up a few times before, folks looking for manga with trans characters so I thought there might be some interest. It seems decent so far and if the author already has some experience in that area hopefully it'll be a good story.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

No clue, tbh I just started reading it thinking it was the usual BL and found that in the comments. I know it's come up a few times before, folks looking for manga with trans characters so I thought there might be some interest. It seems decent so far and if the author already has some experience in that area hopefully it'll be a good story.

The author has a bit of an odd history with this. He's been writing light novels for a decade or so, but never a series longer than 3 books, so he set his aims real high this time, with ... 6. Then on the day the 5th volume came out, he started tweeting about how the publisher informed him that due to poor sales, the series was cancelled, meaning the final volume would not be coming out, and that the author was quitting the light novel business altogether. Somehow this caught the attention of Japanese blogs, and with the newly sparked interest, the publisher apparently changed their minds, letting him write the finale after all.

Another tidbit is that the author's afterwords in the 4th volume mention him talking to a bartender about how he writes light novels, describing the plot of his latest title (troubled love with a transgender man), which then got the response "But that ain't light!" and the author protested saying "Of course it is! I don't write any sex scenes!" However, in the 5th volume there nevertheless is a sex scene, so god knows where that conviction went.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Huh, I'm curious about this. I find manga about transgender people interesting, though I find that usually it falls into the trap of only being willing to broach the topic when the transwoman in question (they're usually about transwomen rather than transmen) is extremely feminine looking to begin with and can easily pass as a girl (see: Bokura no Hentai). This isn't a bad thing in and of itself, though; I can understand wanting to make such a topic more palatable to the general public, especially in a country like Japan. At first glance (judging from the art) I thought this would be more of a "BL, but with a "twist"" sort of thing meant to titillate straight women, but the comments seem to indicate this isn't the case, which is really good if true (I haven't been able to read it yet because I'm at work).

Speaking of the comments, I found several like this that are basically "why fujoshi are definitely not natural LGBT allies" in a nutshell:

quote:

This manga is a shounen ai to me at least, until he actually becomes a woman (if that even happens). But if it does then it's heterosexual, and in that case I won't be reading.
If anyone has read the raws, please let me know if he'll become a woman or not, so I know not to waste my time.

quote:

Am I the only one who wants this to be yaoi Or shounen ai?
I would feel so bad for him if he gets a sex change, I know that reality is cruel to homosexuals, but I'd love to see the guy of interest support the mc's homosexuality and biological gender, and love him as he is. If mc wants to cross dress he should be able to

vvv Yeah, though if anything the negative response from people like that makes me more interested in reading it.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 5, 2017

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ugh yeah I probably should have said "don't read the comments" because they're pretty awful. I was expecting it to be the usual yaoi-style "crossdressing guy who still identifies as male" character and was investigating the comments for raw spoilers to see if that was the case since it seemed like a huge reversal from what was being set up if so, and jeez some people.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Tangentially, what's up with the all-caps surname(???) thing? I've never understood that convention.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Mors Rattus posted:

Tangentially, what's up with the all-caps surname(???) thing? I've never understood that convention.

so you know which one is the surname no matter what order you put them in

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

I finished the entire Kono Koi to, Sono Mirai LN series, so I could peek at the summary for Kono Koi ni Mirai wa Nai. The author briefly mentions in the afterword that the two titles form a set, but nothing about the story. Looking at the introduction for the manga, however, it looks like a few of the character names cross over. "Manase" was the surname of a 45-yo school doctor lady in KKtSM, while "Masaki Matsunaga" is the name of the protagonist's screenwriting father. But the manga seems to take place in 1980 -- 20 years before the MCs of KKtSM are even born -- so if anything it's a prequel, rather than a sequel. In any case, the light novel series was pretty enjoyable, even if it'd take a Möbius strip to draw up the relationship chart.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

darkgray posted:

I finished the entire Kono Koi to, Sono Mirai LN series, so I could peek at the summary for Kono Koi ni Mirai wa Nai. The author briefly mentions in the afterword that the two titles form a set, but nothing about the story. Looking at the introduction for the manga, however, it looks like a few of the character names cross over. "Manase" was the surname of a 45-yo school doctor lady in KKtSM, while "Masaki Matsunaga" is the name of the protagonist's screenwriting father. But the manga seems to take place in 1980 -- 20 years before the MCs of KKtSM are even born -- so if anything it's a prequel, rather than a sequel. In any case, the light novel series was pretty enjoyable, even if it'd take a Möbius strip to draw up the relationship chart.

How does that series end? I saw people talking about it while it was running and I was interested enough to try and follow what was going on but not interested enough to try and read it lol. I couldn't find anyone talking about who the MC ends up with/what happens to the trans guy and it was driving me nuts for a while back when it ended.

Anyway, I ordered Kono Koi ni Mirai wa Nai because I'm very curious and knowing it's the same author as Kono Koi to, Sono Mirai is a little reassuring. It should be getting here today so hopefully I can read it when I get back home.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Are there translations available for it? I'm ftm trans, and always interested in reading things with trans guys in it, but I can't read Japanese much above a 2-3rd grade level (but I'm proud of being able to do that much!)

Though, I'm also cautiously optimistic since it's pretty obvious when people aren't trans themselves and/or didn't do their research on what that means (eg effects of hrt). Having only seen the covers so far, I'm afraid that it's gonna get it pretty wrong.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

jellycat posted:

How does that series end? I saw people talking about it while it was running and I was interested enough to try and follow what was going on but not interested enough to try and read it lol. I couldn't find anyone talking about who the MC ends up with/what happens to the trans guy and it was driving me nuts for a while back when it ended.

Anyway, I ordered Kono Koi ni Mirai wa Nai because I'm very curious and knowing it's the same author as Kono Koi to, Sono Mirai is a little reassuring. It should be getting here today so hopefully I can read it when I get back home.

Er, so this is a "brief summary of the story so far" that I wrote somewhere after finishing Kono Koi to, Sono Mirai vol 4:
It's about a high schooler who goes to a boarding school in Hiroshima, where the principal asks him to share rooms with a female-to-male transgender, whom he promptly falls in love with, but then a cute classmate still asks him to date her, so he goes along with it in order to forget the transman, and then when transman's girlfriend dumps him because he/she finally reveals he/she is a man in a woman's body, the protagonist goes to yell at her for being insensitive, which is seen by a kouhai who has the hots for the protagonist, which gets back to his girlfriend, who then gives up on their relationship, and when he's zoning out at his part-time job, his 28-yo boss gets him drunk and they end up in bed half-naked and kissing, upon which she reveals she used to be his dad's mistress a decade back.

Then in vol 5: After irrelevant hijinks, Mirai (the trans man "heroine") never returns to Hiroshima after a Christmas break spent back home in Tokyo, leaving the protagonist (Shirou) a note saying he/she (I don't know the terminology) has quit school and that they won't meet for up to a decade (partly as a result of an awkward scene in vol 4 where Mirai discovers the protagonist is in love with Mirai, leading to throwing off clothes and pushing into beds and going "Why don't you just try to gently caress me straight?!" (paraphrasing)). Simultaneously, Shirou ends up getting punched out by a customer at the part-time job, and things happen, and he finally has sex with his ten years older boss (Hiromi).

And finally vol 6: Shirou (protagonist) is getting jealous because a new handsome customer is too familiar with his now-girlfriend Hiromi (28yo boss), but eventually finds out the customer's only there because Mirai's old girlfriend (Kaname) recommended the place, and that she's dating the guy (who is again 10 years older than her). After graduation, Shirou is taken to a fancy restaurant by his dad (Masaki Matsunaga) who casually asks him how Hiromi (his former mistress) is doing. After the meal, Mirai comes out, introduced as the chef (in training). Once Shirou calms down, they visit Mirai's apartment, where it turns out he/she's now living (in a relationship) with Shirou's older sister Niko. The two are considering moving to France to further their culinary crafts, and Mirai mentions that same sex marriage is legal there, and that after meeting Niko, the thought of not going through with hormone therapy doesn't seem so bad, because she accepts Mirai as is, and the treatment isn't exactly free of risk. In the end, the two part ways as friends again, and Shirou goes back to live in Hiroshima, dreaming of possible marriage with Hiromi.

Not sure the author utilized the transgender setting fully, but it was pretty enjoyable to read either way.

Edit: I should probably note that I'm hopelessly ignorant of transgender issues, and that I'm not a native English speaker, so the terminology doesn't really seep into daily life.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Hey, just make sure you're using correct pronouns, please -- if they're a trans man, it's generally he (so Mirai = he), if they're a trans woman, she. Some transmasculine & transfeminine people prefer neutral pronouns (eg they), thus why it's generally gendered pronouns.

Yeah, I think I'll skip this though.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

darkgray posted:

Edit: I should probably note that I'm hopelessly ignorant of transgender issues, and that I'm not a native English speaker, so the terminology doesn't really seep into daily life.

I'll go easy on you then.

Transgender is an adjective, not a noun. It describes a thing, not is the thing. So you can never say a person is 'a transgender' anymore than you can say someone is 'a Japanese'. Proper form would be 'a transgender person'. It's actually an important point because, as you may have noticed, in the first case you leave out the language that defines them as a person rather than a thing.
Second, the space. The spelling you want is 'trans man', not 'transman'. 'Transman' implies something different than just a man, whereas 'trans man' is just a man with an adjective, no different from a 'short man' or a 'strong man'. Most importantly, using 'trans' and 'man' (or 'woman') as separate words means you can drop the adjective, refer to the person simply as a 'man' and still have a complete sentence.

And now you know.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Ah, in my language, it's sinful to separate words if it can be avoided (see this), plus the whole bit about an English man being an Englishman, etc.

You may want to edit the wikipedia entry if it's important, plus there's a reference at the bottom without the space.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

English is still evolving to deal with all this, and it doesn't help that there's assholes resisting changes to language because of prejudice masked as prescriptivism.

Basically, Wikipedia edit wars are not worth your time, and it's always best to take Wikipedia stuff with a grain of salt as a result.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Personally, I've seen other trans people use both transwoman/transman and trans woman/trans man. And transmasculine/transfeminine is rarely ever spelled with a space.

However I agree with keeping the space, as it's (as said) an adjective, and a trans woman is still a woman, not a separate category entirely. Otherwise, it just feels like othering to me.

For a kind of intro into the language used regarding transgender issues, GLAAD has a decent glossary and usage guide, including why certain terms are preferred: https://www.glaad.org/reference/transgender (one other note -- please avoid using "he/she" or "she/he" when referring to transgender people!)

And if you have questions about other parts of what it means to be transgender, I always link people to the national center for transgender equality's info: http://www.transequality.org/about-transgender

And now back to your regularly scheduled programming!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One thing the previous posts may have assumed you know that you might not is that a trans woman is "male at birth, but psychologically female" (and vice versa for trans man).

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

In this particular case, I wasn't entirely sure if the author intended to say that Mirai chose to be a lesbian woman instead, rather than go all out and become a post-treatment trans man, plus I don't know how or if the terminology alters after physical changes.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Ytlaya posted:

One thing the previous posts may have assumed you know that you might not is that a trans woman is "male at birth, but psychologically female" (and vice versa for trans man).

I was making the assumption that darkgray knew what 'man' and 'woman' meant, and isn't a bigot

darkgray posted:

plus I don't know how or if the terminology alters after physical changes.

It does not.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ZiegeDame posted:

I was making the assumption that darkgray knew what 'man' and 'woman' meant, and isn't a bigot

It's not inconceivable that someone with English as a second language would see "trans man" and assume it means "someone with the body of a man" (or something).

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

It's not inconceivable that someone with English as a second language would see "trans man" and assume it means "someone with the body of a man" (or something).

True; I've answered that question for people (what "trans man" and "trans woman" mean) a lot, and I'm always a little surprised by the confusion, but try my best to be as patient as possible with people. Most people, if not all, who ask me questions have good intentions.

Also, it's worth noting that gender and sexuality are not the same thing -- a "butch lesbian" is not a trans man who decided not to transition. For instance, I'm gay (actually, queer, but married to a dude), because I'm a (trans) guy who's into men.

Part of why I'm not gonna read this is that deciding to transition or not has nothing to do with your partner "accepting you as is." Deciding to go through the medical process has to do with my own comfort w/r/t gender and what I need, and nothing about my partner's ability to "accept me as is", and tbqh it's a little off-putting to me that that's the reason the trans guy doesn't medically transition.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Gnossiennes posted:

Part of why I'm not gonna read this is that deciding to transition or not has nothing to do with your partner "accepting you as is." Deciding to go through the medical process has to do with my own comfort w/r/t gender and what I need, and nothing about my partner's ability to "accept me as is", and tbqh it's a little off-putting to me that that's the reason the trans guy doesn't medically transition.

Eh, take it easy now. First of all, I've only given you a very brief account of story beat results, not elaborating on process much. Second, Japanese is my, uh, fifth language technically, so my comprehension is not to be taken as fact.

In the case of Mirai's choice not to go through with hormone treatment, the reasoning was primarily said to be that Niko often worried that Mirai would end up dead if it went wrong, supposedly because we're not at 100% safety levels at this point in medical history. There's also stuff about how Mirai grew up with very conservative parents (finally breaking contact entirely), and went to an all-girls school before high school, at which point there was a lot "I hate my body" emotions raging and rebelling in general. Then there's the cost, and added complications of switching countries in the middle, etc, etc.

Edit: Also, I'm afraid I wasn't reading my stories with the expectation of getting tested on it later, so details kind of fade.

darkgray fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 7, 2017

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

darkgray posted:

In the case of Mirai's choice not to go through with hormone treatment, the reasoning was primarily said to be that Niko often worried that Mirai would end up dead if it went wrong, supposedly because we're not at 100% safety levels at this point in medical history. There's also stuff about how Mirai grew up with very conservative parents (finally breaking contact entirely), and went to an all-girls school before high school, at which point there was a lot "I hate my body" emotions raging and rebelling in general. Then there's the cost, and added complications of switching countries in the middle, etc, etc.

Ehh, I'm still gonna challenge that. HRT is fairly safe, and carries little to no risk when monitored by a professional:

"Researchers examined all studies on this topic that were published between 1967 and 2014. Overall, the findings were reassuring with no increased risk for cancer or death found. Hormone therapy was linked to an increased risk of blood clots in transgender women, increased blood count in transgender men, and changes in blood sugar levels in both transgender men and women. Other than these risks, there was little evidence of other serious health concerns from the hormones."
From: https://www.endocrineweb.com/news/reproductionsexuality/14298-hormone-therapy-safe-transgender-adults-when-carefully-monitored

The increased risks iirc, fall in line with the risks faced by cis women & men.

For those who choose to pursue surgical options (eg top surgery), yes, it comes with risks, but they're fairly benign. They do require a lot of healing and patience in recovery, and certain surgeries are much more intensive than others, but still.

Health risks associated with medical transition generally have more to do with the avoidance of medical care. For instance, many trans men have issues with seeing obgyns for routine cervical cancer screenings, and are at an increased risk. And many trans people face discrimination/lack of understanding by medical professionals, and (understandably) avoid the medical system as best they can.

I've definitely taken scarier medications than testosterone, and yet they were still pretty mundane. Thinking that HRT = severe risk of death is a pretty nasty misunderstanding of how hormone therapy works, and only proves to me that the author has no idea what medical transition entails, and tbqh, probably shouldn't be writing about trans people.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The main thing is, some manga just isn't for everyone, and if a narrative about trans people runs contrary to or seems to speak against a trans reader's beliefs and/or experiences, it's totally okay to not read it, you don't gotta defend the manga.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Oh god, I really didn't intend to jump into an argument on the health hazards of something I have literally no knowledge of.

Again, going into specifics of the dialogue (you see here how my reluctance to give you this as "facts" is hampering discussion on the whole): In the first volume, which I read nearly 3 years ago, I believe Mirai talks about planning to get hormone treatments as soon as he turns 18 (they're 15 at this point). By the end of vol 6, they're finally 18, and Mirai is explaining why he isn't taking hormones yet. So that's one part of it. The second part is that, in Mirai's words, "in order to be considered male by legal standards in Japan, you must remove ovaries and uterus." Only at this point can you legally get married as (trans) man and woman in Japan, I guess. This surgery is probably what caused the death fears in Niko. So now, by the end of the story, Mirai is reconsidering treatment. Whether this is temporary or permanent, I can't say, as a (foreign) reader.

I'm trying to say, don't judge the author based on a brief summary posted by some random weeb on the internets. I don't want that responsibility.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
so how bout those Akagami no Shirayukihime updates guys

pandabear
Apr 27, 2006
Here are some recently updated shoujo manga I have been guiltily enjoying. Summaries may or may not be accurate:

Sekai de Ichiban Warui Majo
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Sekai-de-Ichiban-Warui-Majo
300 year old witch who has the cutest bestest skeleton deer and some random guy who seems kinda sleaze, but the deer is really adorbs. It's nice how since she's super old, she is unfazed by the guy's put-ons. I too hope to be 300 and single some day.

Hokenshitsu no Kageyama-kun
https://bato.to/comic/_/comics/hokenshitsu-no-kageyama-kun-r20717
Newest manga from the Last Game author - a nice well-meaning girl the size of a hamster deals with an awkward vampire kid who has a cute talking cat.

Koi wa Hito no Hoka
https://bato.to/comic/_/comics/koi-wa-hito-no-hoka-r17977
From the Special A author. Cute talking dog AND cat. Also has strong normal-sized girl, forgotten childhood promise, demon guy, sick younger brother.

Honey come honey
https://bato.to/comic/_/comics/hanikamu-honey-r20847
Girl becomes friends with a grizzly bear (an awkward supposedly scary looking guy, but really just has overgrown bangs and is tall) who makes cute animal trinkets. Cats show up in the second chapter.

Hoshi to Kuzu - Don't Worry, Be Happy
https://bato.to/comic/_/comics/hoshi-to-kuzu-dont-worry-be-happy-r19883
Ambitious girl joins student council and meets equally ambitious boy, hinting at a future power couple to take over the world. Stray cat shows up in second chapter.

Kimi wa Kawaii Onnanoko
https://bato.to/comic/_/comics/kimi-wa-kawaii-onnanoko-r17626
Girl self-conscious about her frail bird-boned body meets a nice tall guy (or maybe he is just tall comparatively?) and mutual sweetness happens. I don't remember any cats but there are probably some at some point.

Hakoniwa no Soleil
https://bato.to/comic/_/comics/hakoniwa-no-soleil-r19147
Intriguing manga about a dead teacher and her brother and a former female student trying to figure out what really happened. No cats.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

pandabear posted:

Honey come honey
https://bato.to/comic/_/comics/hanikamu-honey-r20847
Girl becomes friends with a grizzly bear (an awkward supposedly scary looking guy, but really just has overgrown bangs and is tall) who makes cute animal trinkets. Cats show up in the second chapter.

this one is great and I wish there were more chapters. I've been dying to read more of this because tiny strong girl x large meek boy is a great combo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pandabear
Apr 27, 2006
Oh, and sorry if I spoiled any cats for you guys.

Another really trashy stereotypical shoujo manga I like to read is Ookami-heika no Hanayome.
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Ookami-heika-no-Hanayome
Girl is hired to be the only consort to a king to ward off marriage proposals. Surprisingly, no cats, only a puppyish king. What is great is that the female protagonist is a huge crybaby, but she is mostly crying about how bad she sucks at her consort job which only requires her to sit around and do nothing - a feeling I relate to deeply. She also cries over the fact the king is obviously just playing her yet she still likes him and I agree with her that yeah he is probably just playing around with her because why would he ever like her for real so it makes the angst feel that much more authentic.