Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh yeah sorry, I meant lead backs on NFL teams. There's theoretically 32 of them and I'm sure a fair few that won't do better than Coleman, but... yeah, I can't really finish this thought without maybe pointing out players that I'd rather fall to me, so. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Yeah, we are playing that game. I really wanted to ask "Frank Gore or CJ Anderson?" really bad in the main thread, but I can't show my cards lolz

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The thing is, this isn't best ball. When do you start Coleman? Obviously if Freeman is hurt, but otherwise, you're starting him in your RB2 slot and just hoping that this week he has the opportunities, maybe if the Falcons get well ahead and are running down the clock.

Gore/CJ on the other hand you can start in your RB2 slot any week they're not already injured and have a very solid floor to work from. Most of us are drafting our third RB at this point, so this is a guy you're going to slot in on a bye week or if one of your top two guys is hurt, not an every-week starter anyway, so you want someone you can just plug in. I see Bilal Powell just went and he's probably the RB1 on a ground-heavy attack. I guess there's still a chance Forte is RB1 but even then, I'd put Powell and Coleman's opportunities as being quite similar, albeit Coleman is on a much better team.

I'm not down on Coleman exactly, I just don't love his opportunity. There's a ton of teams in the NFL where he'd be great as a featured RB, but a healthy Devonta Freeman finishes top five and I don't think that leaves Coleman enough to want him ahead of guys like Gore, CJ anderson, and Bilal Powell.

e. Gillislee I'm completely not sold on though, despite being a Patriot he's a huge risk because he's unproven as a RB1, plus you know, Belichick loves to dick around with his running backs.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Leperflesh posted:

The thing is, this isn't best ball. When do you start Coleman? Obviously if Freeman is hurt, but otherwise, you're starting him in your RB2 slot and just hoping that this week he has the opportunities, maybe if the Falcons get well ahead and are running down the clock.

Gore/CJ on the other hand you can start in your RB2 slot any week they're not already injured and have a very solid floor to work from. Most of us are drafting our third RB at this point, so this is a guy you're going to slot in on a bye week or if one of your top two guys is hurt, not an every-week starter anyway, so you want someone you can just plug in. I see Bilal Powell just went and he's probably the RB1 on a ground-heavy attack. I guess there's still a chance Forte is RB1 but even then, I'd put Powell and Coleman's opportunities as being quite similar, albeit Coleman is on a much better team.

I'm not down on Coleman exactly, I just don't love his opportunity. There's a ton of teams in the NFL where he'd be great as a featured RB, but a healthy Devonta Freeman finishes top five and I don't think that leaves Coleman enough to want him ahead of guys like Gore, CJ anderson, and Bilal Powell.

e. Gillislee I'm completely not sold on though, despite being a Patriot he's a huge risk because he's unproven as a RB1, plus you know, Belichick loves to dick around with his running backs.

Last year, Freeman finished as a top back and Coleman outperformed most of them. His opportunities should be fine. I started Coleman in an RB2 slot for much of last year and was fine. It's just a gut feeling. I get your logic. I really do.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
6.12 Eddie Lacy
7.01 Doug Martin

I'm just rounding out my starting lineup, here. I need a middle-of-the-round RB2 and some depth. These guys are starters, currently, and their teams are going to move the ball

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Drunk Nerds posted:

6.12 Eddie Lacy
7.01 Doug Martin

I'm just rounding out my starting lineup, here. I need a middle-of-the-round RB2 and some depth. These guys are starters, currently, and their teams are going to move the ball

Dang it. I was really hoping one of the two made it back to me.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

And there's the other two guys I'd take before.coleman, lol.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Leperflesh posted:

And there's the other two guys I'd take before.coleman, lol.

Martin is missing a quarter of his games. And Lacy didn't make my weight cutoff, so he's off my board. :v:

Lacy is in a time share too. I don't like his situation.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

for my rb3, missing the first few games is fine, my 1 and 2 will not likely lose their jobs or get hurt before then. And lacy at least has the opportunity to keep a starting job... coleman does not.

Enough said tho. If I'm wrong, that won't be unusual, fantasy is mostly bullshit guessing anyway

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Leperflesh posted:

for my rb3, missing the first few games is fine, my 1 and 2 will not likely lose their jobs or get hurt before then. And lacy at least has the opportunity to keep a starting job... coleman does not.

Enough said tho. If I'm wrong, that won't be unusual, fantasy is mostly bullshit guessing anyway

Agreed. And honestly, Martin was someone I was targeting. I just straight up don't like Lacy at his ADP. Would rather have Rawls ten rounds later.

Since I'm starting a fantasy blog in a couple of weeks, I'm not being as cagey with my choices and my decision making this year, despite playing with a lot of you guys. I go against the grain on a lot of things, but if you've been in leagues with me, you know I'm very good at this.

My number one rule is don't be afraid of going against the grain of conventional wisdom. I'd rather be wrong because I made a bad choice then be wrong because I went with a consensus that I'm not behind. It's a hard rule to adhere to though. Last year, group think cost me Hunter Henry in dynasty and it still bothers me.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sataere posted:

Agreed. And honestly, Martin was someone I was targeting. I just straight up don't like Lacy at his ADP. Would rather have Rawls ten rounds later.

Since I'm starting a fantasy blog in a couple of weeks, I'm not being as cagey with my choices and my decision making this year, despite playing with a lot of you guys. I go against the grain on a lot of things, but if you've been in leagues with me, you know I'm very good at this.

My number one rule is don't be afraid of going against the grain of conventional wisdom. I'd rather be wrong because I made a bad choice then be wrong because I went with a consensus that I'm not behind. It's a hard rule to adhere to though. Last year, group think cost me Hunter Henry in dynasty and it still bothers me.

Oh, man, yeah that. I use beersheets and the last couple years I used them as a crutch to avoid learning about a lot of the guys I was drafting. I definitely wound up with one or two players I shouldn't have, just because I went with the consensus. (And that's no knock on Beersheets, mind you, that's just a tool that aggregates expert rankings, it's not on Beer to second-guess or analyze that stuff. )

This year I'm trying really hard to actually develop theories about every player I draft, and every higher-ADP player I pass over, too. Even if my reasoning winds up being totally wrong, at least it was my reasoning. Otherwise, why play? A computer can take consensus ADP and autodraft a team.

All that said, my strength has always been in working the waiver wire and that's where most of my effort goes regardless.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Sataere posted:

That's Matthew Berry's #1 rule too.

That being said it's a good rule.

I realize I'm on the clock, so I think I forgot to save pre-picks. I might not be able to get to this until this afternoon. Sorry for the delay y'all.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Leperflesh posted:

All that said, my strength has always been in working the waiver wire and that's where most of my effort goes regardless.

Waiver wire is where leagues are won.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Leperflesh posted:

Oh, man, yeah that. I use beersheets and the last couple years I used them as a crutch to avoid learning about a lot of the guys I was drafting. I definitely wound up with one or two players I shouldn't have, just because I went with the consensus. (And that's no knock on Beersheets, mind you, that's just a tool that aggregates expert rankings, it's not on Beer to second-guess or analyze that stuff. )

This year I'm trying really hard to actually develop theories about every player I draft, and every higher-ADP player I pass over, too. Even if my reasoning winds up being totally wrong, at least it was my reasoning. Otherwise, why play? A computer can take consensus ADP and autodraft a team.

I'm the first person to say that ignoring consensus values for your own personal rankings is perfectly acceptable. It's something I routinely do, no matter how hard it is to ignore the compulsion to simply follow what THE SHEET tells me to do.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm the first person to say that ignoring consensus values for your own personal rankings is perfectly acceptable. It's something I routinely do, no matter how hard it is to ignore the compulsion to simply follow what THE SHEET tells me to do.

I only adhere to the posted rankings. Thats why I end up with the top kicker in the 9th round every year

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Drunk Nerds posted:

I only adhere to the posted rankings. Thats why I end up with the top kicker in the 9th round every year

Well, yeah. For kickers you gotta do that.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
It's also why I end up drafting 4 defenses

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

If you just follow the sheets blindly, you are using them wrong. There is no question that my recent fantasy football dominance can be linked to them, but only because it is an easy tool to figure out where players will be drafted and adjust my strategy to maximize the players I draft that I love.

Chen Kenichi
Jul 20, 2001
To go over my last couple of picks -

3.07 - Jarvis Landry. PPR machine, probably not a lot of TDs. Should get solid and consistent production. A normal WR2 in this scoring scheme.

4.06 - Drew Brees. Gave my thoughts already. Top 5 QB consistently. Set it and forget it.

5.07 - Dalvin Cook. Since I auto-drafted him I did some checking around and he will start off as the Vikings RB1 with Murray recovering from injury. If he can keep it this might be a sneaky good pick in hindsight, but I don't trust it as rookie RBs tend to take a bit of time to learn pro pass block schemes which may lead to some bench time.

6.06 - Paul Perkins. Low competition for him being RB1 on the Giants. Gore's age and mileage bothered me. CJ Anderson, Bilal Powell (my second in line), Eddie Lacy, Mike Gillislee all appear to be in hot hand time shares. Doug Martin was also considered but I chose a bit safer in case early on Cook gets the same treatment Perkins got in his rookie year. Next round if any of the mentioned did make it to me I would have heavily considered drafting them but we got ourselves a big ol' RB run!

I generally don't take ADP too much into consideration when drafting other than 'do I believe this player that I want will 100% make it to me in the next round based on how he as been historically drafted?' Worked for me to this point for fantasy so sticking to it!

Drunk Nerds posted:

CHRIS loving HOPE

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I gotta hit on one of these old guys, right?

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

89 posted:

I gotta hit on one of these old guys, right?

Yeah, maybe.

I'd say I'm happy with Kelvin. His catch rate and y/r were up last year compared to 2014. So that's a plus.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The adp list is crammed full of QBs and rookies and WR/RB 2s/3s, so maybe I'm reaching, but: blount is in my opinion probably the starter all season and after that RB run we just had, I'm not waiting. At the least, I think he gives me a safe floor when he's healthy which is what I want in my third slot.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

The adp list is crammed full of QBs and rookies and WR/RB 2s/3s, so maybe I'm reaching, but: blount is in my opinion probably the starter all season and after that RB run we just had, I'm not waiting. At the least, I think he gives me a safe floor when he's healthy which is what I want in my third slot.

I'm less sure that he's the RB1 all season, I feel like that's going to be somewhat of a committee, but there's a solid chance Blount is a 2 down and goal line back there, and I think he's a pretty solid pick here.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I had Blount in my next autodraft and even thought about him before Powell, but then I looked in the mirror and slapped the homer out of me.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The thing is, Sproles is 34. Maybe he'll have Gore-like longevity, but I think the Eagles picking up Blount is a tacit acknowledgement that no, he's not gonna still be able to carry that workload. You might be right about a timeshare... but Blount is a superbowl-winning QB who at 30 is still clearly playing as if he is in his prime.

He can't possibly repeat his 18 TDs from last season, but in the seventh round I'd be delighted with 8.

I don't see Smallwood or Pumphrey as threats: they're future stock for the Eagles, to be developed on special teams etc., not really playable backs at this point.

e. I would certainly have taken Powell before Blount, yeah.

e2. Basically I guess Blount is taking all of Ryan Matthews' work, plus maybe some of Sproles, and that's a lot of work.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 8, 2017

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Leperflesh posted:

The thing is, Sproles is 34. Maybe he'll have Gore-like longevity, but I think the Eagles picking up Blount is a tacit acknowledgement that no, he's not gonna still be able to carry that workload. You might be right about a timeshare... but Blount is a superbowl-winning QB who at 30 is still clearly playing as if he is in his prime.

He can't possibly repeat his 18 TDs from last season, but in the seventh round I'd be delighted with 8.

I don't see Smallwood or Pumphrey as threats: they're future stock for the Eagles, to be developed on special teams etc., not really playable backs at this point.

e. I would certainly have taken Powell before Blount, yeah.

e2. Basically I guess Blount is taking all of Ryan Matthews' work, plus maybe some of Sproles, and that's a lot of work.

I don't think it matters. Sproles and Blount are two different roles.

Pretty stoked to go with Coleman and Henry with my last two picks. I feel like I have the two best 2nd string RBs for top ten RB1 production this year. It's a high upside gambit and I can still pick up a nice third down guy later.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I should have and was gonna pick Woodhead. But I've recently read too many AP hype articles on the Saints, sooo

Then remember how bad rear end Hightower still was for the saints last year as the #2 RB and he ain't exactly AP.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
TIGHT END RUN!!!!!! 😱😱😱😱😱😱😱

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

89 posted:

TIGHT END RUN!!!!!! 😱😱😱😱😱😱😱

I'd rather start one than be left behind. Plus Eifert offers a ton of upside if he's healthy. In the past I waited even longer on a TE and really hated the outcome.

As for Maclin, I feel like there are a bunch of high upside players in this tier. It was difficult to decide between them but I chose the guy with the QB who has an amazing arm.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Maclin went much earlier than in the first goon slow draft. I'm giving you guys too much information!

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Sataere posted:

Maclin went much earlier than in the first goon slow draft. I'm giving you guys too much information!

No need to worry: The reason Maclin went later was because he was on the chiefs when he was picked in that first draft, iirc

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 9, 2017

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Drunk Nerds posted:

No need to worry: The reason Maclin went later was because he was on the chiefs when he was picked in that first draft, iirc

And he was still drafted too late. Cutting Maclin is why the GM was fired. He's a WR2 on any team this year and he'll legitimately be the fourth receiver drafted on a lot of teams because people are dumb.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Sataere posted:

Cutting Maclin is why the GM was fired.

Well, sort of. Dude had a lot of faults, especially when it came to salary cap management
http://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2017/06/23/roundup-of-all-theories-behind-chiefs-release-of-john-dorsey/

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Noooo, Decker was supposed to fall to me!

Mariota.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Hmm I didn't realize that Maclin dropped all the way to 155th overall in that first draft. That must have been because he didn't have a team

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Taking my second QB possibly a round early. Of the wideouts at this round or better adp, I mostly wanted d-jax, except I already have evans and do not want to double up on the same team. I think Cousins will at least repeat last year's production as he prepares to earn a record-breakingly huge contract (with the niners) next year.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
LOL 2nd QB.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I've been very happy with my guys so far. The only pick I'd want back is Martavis Bryant, should have taken Crabtree, but he's one of those players that could win your league for you if you're right. I think Cobb, Powell, Tyreek, and even Matty Ice went too late.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Yeah you really could have used another WR there instead of a 2nd QB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Honestly, I'm not too against this weird drafting idea I've spontaneously gone with. Load up on the discounted old guys who were the elite 1-2 years ago. Pad the bottom with boom or bust high potential young guys.

• Locked thread