Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

moist turtleneck posted:

I wish my aim was as quick and good as Atlas

http://i.imgur.com/IwH5myR.gifv

Not quite as good as when you could get an Atlas mech's rocket to spin around in midair if you charged at the exact right moment but not bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Extracted on Platinum with pubs and I wasn't playing great either. Only used 4 rockets and 4 revives too, got 130k

Bought a reserve pack, got a Rare character I already had maxed, a common character, and an ultra rare... gun.

At least it was an Ushior card but still I feel like I'm being trolled hard

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Relentless posted:

~30k for clearing an objective wave on plat. Little over 100k for a full clear.
Note that platinum has objectives on waves 2, 4, and 6 rather than just 3 and 6. If you fail to complete the objective on round 2 you get no money.

Boss versions of the monsters are allowed to spawn, and not just on boss objective waves -- so instead of a Remnant Destroyer you might see a Progenitor (or even 2) during a wave.

I've also seen purple observers, as though they were bosses, but I'm not sure what that means.

The new hack on platinum is by far the hardest, especially if bullet sponges like berserkers spawn during the wave. Use your rockets for this.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I decided to try solo platinum earlier and got loving wrecked by at least three berserkers. So much stagger.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
Purple enemies are boss-versions. Somewhat tougher, and resistant to cobra missiles. They come up as assassination targets even on lower difficulties. Thankfully assassination has been reduced to 3 targets, and I think you get more time per target as well.

The new ultra bosses are great. Destroyers become Progenitors, and can spawn two observers, though the more dangerous thing is really just how accurate they are with their turrets. Also they have 200k shields. Still have the 8x weak point multiplier, thankfully, and take 40k damage from cobras. Hydras become blaze hydras, and basically sprint around the map. Kett get Behemoths as a regularly appearing enemy, and they have 67k armour and take just over 10 cobras to kill.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

moist turtleneck posted:

I wish my aim was as quick and good as Atlas

http://i.imgur.com/IwH5myR.gifv

Hell, I wish my aim was as good as any of the enemies.
http://i.imgur.com/QfOgF0G.gifv

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

Dilb posted:

Purple enemies are boss-versions. Somewhat tougher, and resistant to cobra missiles. They come up as assassination targets even on lower difficulties. Thankfully assassination has been reduced to 3 targets, and I think you get more time per target as well.

The new ultra bosses are great. Destroyers become Progenitors, and can spawn two observers, though the more dangerous thing is really just how accurate they are with their turrets. Also they have 200k shields. Still have the 8x weak point multiplier, thankfully, and take 40k damage from cobras. Hydras become blaze hydras, and basically sprint around the map. Kett get Behemoths as a regularly appearing enemy, and they have 67k armour and take just over 10 cobras to kill.

Unless destroying the Progenitor turrets stops them from spawning Observers, I believe it is better to leave the turrets alone. Progenitors don't have the crazy deadly machineguns that Destroyers do but instead shoot slow moving blue explosives that are really easy to dodge or just outrange. Additionally, if you destroy both the turrets on a Progenitor, they will start sprinting faster than a Blaze Hydra and spam that pbaoe kill field constantly. I might be wrong here but it also feels like they won't open up the weakpoint until the torso shield has been taken down.

Aside from the ridiculous weapon variants, I'm pretty happy with this patch. Platinum and the new boss enemies are great, only downsides are that on some small maps with the wrong enemy selection the hack and triple ABC hack (can't remember the name) are almost impossible with the number of Berserkers and Observers showed down your throat.

mirarant fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jul 8, 2017

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

With every new gun variant that I unlock, I keep asking myself: why didn't they just add a third mod slot? Like, the idea is cool- it gives your guns an almost MMOish role distinction. Tank, (self)healer, and damage. But having FOUR of each gun is just nuts. I haven't even unlocked half of them yet, and it already sucks to scroll through this list. It would've been so much cleaner to just do the exact same thing with unique bulwark, siphon, and concussive mods that you can slap into your weapons. Hell, make the slot exclusive so you can only have two normal mods plus a special one.

But nope, gotta keep everyone farming forever I guess. :negative:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I think I only have problems with two aspects of the patch - letting enemies cancel hack, and nerfing cobra RPG even more. Those really didn't need to happen. If anything, Cobras needed a huge buff.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
So that's ten extra cards per character and a huge number of extra mods because there isn't a big enough pile to farm already.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
If they want people to actually come back and play this they should probably not let laggy assholes host public matches

http://i.imgur.com/0HcCay4.gifv

at least the game was nice and made the next host smooth as silk

I'd host myself but that takes like 8 years to get a group going

moist turtleneck fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 8, 2017

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I really want to like the game because sometimes cool stuff happens but there's so much bullshit to wade through

http://i.imgur.com/ZqXLC0r.gifv

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Yeah P2P continues to be the primary problem with ME multiplayer. Made worse by them not giving the players the last word in terms of what actually happens. It's a PvE game, the bots won't complain that on their screen they were totally in cover, just let the players be the authority.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

If you host a game with another person you will get players much much faster.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Generic American posted:

With every new gun variant that I unlock, I keep asking myself: why didn't they just add a third mod slot? Like, the idea is cool- it gives your guns an almost MMOish role distinction. Tank, (self)healer, and damage. But having FOUR of each gun is just nuts. I haven't even unlocked half of them yet, and it already sucks to scroll through this list. It would've been so much cleaner to just do the exact same thing with unique bulwark, siphon, and concussive mods that you can slap into your weapons. Hell, make the slot exclusive so you can only have two normal mods plus a special one.

But nope, gotta keep everyone farming forever I guess.

Yeah but again, as said before, the variants are actually the equivalent of getting the gun to rank 20. It doesn't excuse the massive 1500 card bloat to the RNG pool, but it's not just a weapon modifier; they're straight up better than their regular versions.

Concussive Ruzad is kinda nuts.

Finally got Angara Avenger, still no Bat Man :(

edit: Syphon Cyclone on TurSol am become death

precision fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 8, 2017

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

moist turtleneck posted:

I really want to like the game because sometimes cool stuff happens but there's so much bullshit to wade through

http://i.imgur.com/ZqXLC0r.gifv

The human sentinel is nnnnnnnaasty!!!!! Best comboer in the game actually. Just got her up to XX rank. She's very good on platinum too.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
So do the veteran tier power damage buffs upgrade the bonus weapon damage from TurSol's fortify and turbocharge? Or does that class get a might shaft in that regard?

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
I'm pretty sure it doesn't even boost the detonation damage from fortify. Power boosters intentionally don't do anything for non-damaging powers.

Bioware has always seemed to be really bad at designing modular systems. Like, in Neverwinter Nights there were about two hundred hard-coded feats, about half of which were entirely separate feats for weapon focus (small hammer), vs weapon focus (sickle). The hundreds of weapon cards is probably because no one can figure out how to add a third mod slot in multiplayer without breaking everything else.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
One would think every class would have different Veteran benefits to capitalize on their power set but nope, everyone gets the same thing

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I'm loving my Human Soldier Grenadier XX lately. It's not nearly as good as the human adept for topping the charts, but frags are so good for getting rid of berserkers/hydras/fiends/etc. Add an ammo power to prime poo poo for concussive shot explosions and everything dies. I'm skimping on turbocharge on this build because I kill all the big things with frags and everything little with fire explosions.

I'm wondering if Human Infiltrator might end up being a bit better, though. Sticky grenades aren't as good as frags, but Incinerate is strong and can be talented into a detonator and it has tac cloak for objective waves.

Also, what's the consensus on chest order after you max out all your commons? Move into uncommon chests to max them out as efficiently as possible? Jump straight for rares? I got a Hurricane I from one of the Apex packs, so I feel fairly set as far as weapons go for power classes.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Khizan posted:

I'm loving my Human Soldier Grenadier XX lately. It's not nearly as good as the human adept for topping the charts, but frags are so good for getting rid of berserkers/hydras/fiends/etc. Add an ammo power to prime poo poo for concussive shot explosions and everything dies. I'm skimping on turbocharge on this build because I kill all the big things with frags and everything little with fire explosions.

I'm wondering if Human Infiltrator might end up being a bit better, though. Sticky grenades aren't as good as frags, but Incinerate is strong and can be talented into a detonator and it has tac cloak for objective waves.

Also, what's the consensus on chest order after you max out all your commons? Move into uncommon chests to max them out as efficiently as possible? Jump straight for rares? I got a Hurricane I from one of the Apex packs, so I feel fairly set as far as weapons go for power classes.
Try to get at least the level one rank of the gold barrels, then buy uncommons until you've maxed out whatever characters there you find interesting

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've gotten 10 Gold characters that I had "maxed" (rank X) and nary a one Batarian. I feel like that should not happen, I feel really bad for anyone trying to get into the game fresh now

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The Soned or the Thokin any good? tend to avoid the weapons for the Kett for some reason.

Really hope in a patch they refund people 20k per card of the new guns and change them into a third mod slot.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

I love the Thokin on the Turian Havoc - anybody with turbo charge really - because the slight homing just seems to work with the hover shenanigans. Almost/completely empty the gun, hit turbocharge, never let go of the fire button.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Thokin is good on Turians, and I've seen other people wreck face with the Soned (I don't have one and now probably never will)

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
http://i.imgur.com/MNmZgAD.gifv

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Does anyone have any good strategies for platinum yet? Just beat it for the second time with a bunch of pubbies and once before with an almost full group. We did outlaw/sandstorm and camped up top until poo poo got too hot and jumped down. I played a human sentinel and comboed everything. Second time around I played a Turian agent and just did the objectives while the pubbies did all the work.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MarshyMcFly posted:

Does anyone have any good strategies for platinum yet?

Four Rank 20 HuSent or AsAdept or some mix of the two. Incendiary Ammo to taste. :supaburn:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

precision posted:

Four Rank 20 HuSent or AsAdept or some mix of the two. Incendiary Ammo to taste. :supaburn:

Vanguard was a valuable addition to a team like that on gold. That still the case on Plat?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't think I've tried a Vanguard on Plat yet. I'm afraid to get that close to Blaze Hydras.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

MarshyMcFly posted:

Does anyone have any good strategies for platinum yet? Just beat it for the second time with a bunch of pubbies and once before with an almost full group. We did outlaw/sandstorm and camped up top until poo poo got too hot and jumped down. I played a human sentinel and comboed everything. Second time around I played a Turian agent and just did the objectives while the pubbies did all the work.

A very high-level group I play with has a pretty specific strategy for Firebase Magma. You hold a main room on the opposite end of the map from the extraction point, and if it gets overrun you go to the secondary room next to the extraction point. You need someone with Stealth Grid or Tactical Cloak to handle the objectives that pop up (while everyone else draws aggro from elsewhere on the map), along with someone with Barricade to cover one door in each room.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
I've just been playing as per normal, keeping mobile and staying closer together than I would on Gold. So far, have been playing the Human Soldier and the Asari Sentinel, rocking the new Expert Package + Eagle.

West007
Apr 21, 2013

I played ME3 MP quite a bit and was decently good at it. Could almost solo gold when it was the highest difficulty. Leveling characters also felt a lot faster. Now that I have a full time job it feels like I can't even get into gold. Leveling chars and getting semi decent equipment seems to take ages.

Right now I play salarian infil with reegar carbine and salarian operator with equalizer II. Both are at level 12 and I can only do silver for now. I'm focusing on the operator now (thanks weekend mission) which seems like a solid character to do gold with. I'm afraid to use boosters and such because half the lobbies are laggy and unplayable.

Has it changed so much from ME3 or am I just old now?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

West007 posted:

Right now I play salarian infil with reegar carbine and salarian operator with equalizer II. Both are at level 12 and I can only do silver for now.

After the Buffening you should really be able to do Gold with even level 1 characters and guns. I was never that great at ME3MP (though probably a lot better than "average") but Gold in this feels like Silver in 3 did. Like it's actively difficult to gently caress up unless you're playing with the dumbest pubbies imaginable

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

If you join random gold games as a 200 Apex point level 1 character they'll probably let you play and you will 90% likely extract.

West007
Apr 21, 2013

Alright, I'll just jump straight into gold.

What are the best packs to spend space money on? The last few 100ks I spent on arsenal packs trying to get a solid weapon (Reegar I and Equalizer II) which seem to be fine enough for now. Should I stick to 100k packs or buy some of the lower ones. I don't have any useful pistol attachments (only melee modifier 2), I do have shotgun barrel II and no permanent equipment. Pretty much everything I have is at I or II.

My safe bet is sticking to the salarian operator I think.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Right now, I'd say play gold and spam the 5k basic packs. Rank 20 humans are pretty drat good. Then move up to the 50k packs for decent weapons.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

West007 posted:

Has it changed so much from ME3 or am I just old now?

Gameplay overall is harder because guns (while buffed recently) don't hit like they did in ME3. Getting common packs non-stop until you get lvl 20 humans will cheese the difficulty in this game. Also, getting the non-consumable equipment is a good priority because it's like having a free weapon/power buff active.

Edit: I should also say we lost the old way of clearing trash: Over-cover grabs.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Thor-Stryker posted:

Edit: I should also say we lost the old way of clearing trash: Over-cover grabs.

It's now the dogs way of clearing us out of cover and into the face of multiple hydra missiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

West007 posted:

What are the best packs to spend space money on? The last few 100ks I spent on arsenal packs trying to get a solid weapon (Reegar I and Equalizer II) which seem to be fine enough for now.

As far as the common weapons go, Charger X is legit. It's basically the Tempest from ME3. It just got a name change cause the Tempest is the name of your ship in singleplayer. Katana X is also a legitimately good shotgun. Either of those can see you through gold pretty easily. Predator, Avenger, and Viper all still pretty much suck.

• Locked thread