Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Boosh! posted:

I've talked myself into it. He'll still be under 30 when the contract expires at least. My major concern is he'll win some garbage games in May, costing us lottery slots.

There is no such thing as a garbage game in May in fact that's when you want to play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Whatever the month NY is eliminated from playoff contention

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
January?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

If the Knicks move Melo they'll at least have money to spend in the next two seasons

But man 71 million is so dumb, also did you know that the Knicks have Lance Thomas under contract for three more seasons

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Hell yeah

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
At least you can say, maybe Tim Hardaway will expand his game. There's not much hope of that from Caramelo

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

so at this point is derrick rose going to get the vet min

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Dejan Bimble posted:

At least you can say, maybe Tim Hardaway will expand his game. There's not much hope of that from Caramelo

Timmy tries real hard but I think there's just a lack of that basketball knack that separates good players from great ones. I don't doubt his ability to work on his game and hell i'm talking myself into this like a battered wife arent i

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Bush Did Outer Heaven posted:

Thabo, come back to OKC buddy. We supported you during your cornrows phase. We loved you when you shot 28% from 3. We're proud of your Swiss heritage.

And our lovely cops are sports fans, so no misunderstandings there

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Doltos posted:

Timmy tries real hard but I think there's just a lack of that basketball knack that separates good players from great ones. I don't doubt his ability to work on his game and hell i'm talking myself into this like a battered wife arent i

He can score 20 points a game and he's not Carmelo, I'd take it as a win

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

ya'll know carmelo is still on the team right

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Shear Modulus posted:

ya'll know carmelo is still on the team right

Yeah that part is confusing me to.

This isn't a sign and trade

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Melo is good I love him

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
If DRose isn't willing to come off the bench which team would even start him regardless of contract.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

leftist heap posted:

If DRose isn't willing to come off the bench which team would even start him regardless of contract.

If Tony Parker isn't healthy to start the season I could see the Spurs doing some dumb poo poo like grabbing him

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Doltos posted:

I'd say he has a better knack and feel than JR, Shump or Courtney Lee, at least at creating and finishing. Watching those 3 guys take more than 2 dribbles is an adventure.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Declan MacManus posted:

If Tony Parker isn't healthy to start the season I could see the Spurs doing some dumb poo poo like grabbing him

poo poo, i'd grab him for a minimum contract

if DJ, White, or Forbes don't work out then there are much worse things than having a vet min derrick rose as a fallback

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhAhW9IBNSs

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
OK so I've never actually watched Lonzo Ball play until just now and holy poo poo that shot motion. :psyduck:

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

hes chest passing it at the basket as god intended. crisp and fundamental

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1Dgj6zTLao

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

He literally didn't make a single good play below the break in half court offense.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Every single objection we had to Lonzo Ball was prescient and correct

✔️Misses shots with NBA length contesting
✔️Can't finish in half court
✔️Can't defend his position
✔️Bad at dribbling, no first step
✔️Ronnie Brewer

Why did this great pg need essentially another pg on the floor and a pf who could handle the ball? In college, he only scored when being assisted by another player. He's a poor man's Michael Carter Williams with an unsustainable college 3p%

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Lonzo Ball might be bad at basketball, like he'd be good if he could cut to the rim and score but yikes he's bad right now

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Did you think he was gonna come out and suddenly be able to shoot or do anything besides pass decently

Dude is gonna bust but it's not really his fault, his qualities were known

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Nothing more important than 1 summer league game, which is why Denzel "Ice In His Veins" Valentine was the Rookie of the YEar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gbk0lOKNQY8

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

Who wants to bet if Lonzo Ball ends up better or worse than Ricky Rubio

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

Better imo

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Doltos posted:

the Triangle is working

THJ sucks and yet again overpaying a guy who doesn't defend at all will get us more losses than wins.

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

Yeah I'll take that bet. I'll basically bet any amount of money on that.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i was going to joke about Summer League Veteran CAmeron Payne, but then I saw that he didn't play in 2015 because he had a broken finger, I spent nearly 2 minutes researching that

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

R.D. Mangles posted:

Nothing more important than 1 summer league game, which is why Denzel "Ice In His Veins" Valentine was the Rookie of the YEar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gbk0lOKNQY8

He reminds me of Tim Tebow. Narrowly proficient with broken mechanics and a limited ceiling

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Was Lonzo wearing the Zo2's? Maybe that's the problem. You know what they say: poor footwear begets poor performance.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
That's why getting rid of D'angelo Russell was stupid, Ball functioned like a shooting guard in ucla's half court offense. Unless Russell Westbrook is coming next year, they're in trouble.

In a perfect world, everything works out fine in the actual Lakers offense, because it's amenable to a combo guard lead guard, but he has to be able to finish at the rim, which Ball can't do off the dribble in the half court, he scored at the rimat UCLA on alley oops. They have to hope that one of Hart/Kuzma can become a playmaking forward, that Julius Randle can do more passing, all kinds of stuff. This is who he is.

You can watch Ball at UCLA dribbling toward the basket and then passing the ball away at point blank range, Rajon Rondo 10 assist hunting style, because he knows he can't finish.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

EvanTH posted:

Damyean Dotson SL highlights.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

I will bet you money that he's never as good as Ricky Rubio

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

R.D. Mangles posted:

i was going to joke about Summer League Veteran CAmeron Payne, but then I saw that he didn't play in 2015 because he had a broken finger, I spent nearly 2 minutes researching that

lol someone made a 2016 Denzel Valentine highlight video called ICE IN HIS VEINS i'm dying
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mssu4ZGnkkM

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Watching Karnowski in summer league is me 100%. Im gonna root for him and live vicariously through him. If only I had been 4 inches taller.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
^^^ Meanwhile Stainbrook is like Spanish B-League player :[

R.D. Mangles posted:

lol someone made a 2016 Denzel Valentine highlight video called ICE IN HIS VEINS i'm dying
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mssu4ZGnkkM

there's like 3-4 dudes who make all of the youtube highlight montages and By God do I respect them all

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

ButtWolf posted:

Watching Karnowski in summer league is me 100%. Im gonna root for him and live vicariously through him. If only I had been 4 inches taller.

karnowski petitioning the NBA to be allowed to play in a single-strap unitard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Lonzo becoming a bust and DLO turning into an all-star (lol East) would be like the funniest thing right now.

• Locked thread