Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Season 4 of Agents of SHIELD is up.
I don't care if it's crapy. Ghost Rider fuggen roolz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
Moana just popped up on Netflix. I haven't seen it but everyone I know has and they said it was good.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I'm not that into Disney princess movies but Moana is definitely worth a watch. I loved the music.

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

Rolo posted:

I'm not that into Disney princess movies but Moana is definitely worth a watch. I loved the music.

I second that, I put it on for my boys for lack of anything else to watch, and I was pretty taken with it. I'm not much for songs in movies unless they're comedic but there are truly some great songs in it.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Watched it last night. You should watch it too. You'll thank me.

You're welcome.

Rolo posted:

She's not a princess, she's the daughter of the chief!

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of children's movies, Kubo and the Two Strings was one I found really enjoyable. I don't tend to watch animated/kids movies, my girlfriend does sometimes though. She talked me into this one, and I'm glad she did. It's stop motion and they use origami for some of it, it's very cool visually as well at an engrossing story.

E: Netflix

om nom nom has a new favorite as of 00:25 on Jun 23, 2017

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

om nom nom posted:

Speaking of children's movies, Kubo and the Two Strings was one I found really enjoyable. I don't tend to watch animated/kids movies, my girlfriend does sometimes though. She talked me into this one, and I'm glad she did. It's stop motion and they use origami for some of it, it's very cool visually as well at an engrossing story.

Kubo is great.

Look up the "making of" stuff on youtube for footage of the huge, ridiculous puppets that they built for that.

edit: Do that after watching it to magnify the shock when you realize how much effort the movie must have taken.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Just binge watched Netflix's new series GLOW. It's pretty drat entertaining.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Moana is wonderful and it's something I don't mind watching multiple times because the kid loves it.

kazil posted:

I'm on the third episode because my binge was interrupted but it is definitely better than I could have guessed.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

kazil posted:

Yeah, it's way better than I thought it would be. Has a lot of heart in it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Don't watch The Cave. It got all these stars on Netflix and initially has a high budget feel to it, but it's terrible.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Rolo posted:

Don't watch The Cave. It got all these stars on Netflix and initially has a high budget feel to it, but it's terrible.

Watch The Descent instead

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

kazil posted:

I'm enjoying it too, but the 80's style haircut Allison Brie is sporting in the show makes her look exactly like my aunt in the late 80's and it's just weird for me.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

I Brake For MILFs posted:

I'm enjoying it too, but the 80's style haircut Allison Brie is sporting in the show makes her look exactly like my aunt in the late 80's and it's just weird for me.

I've only got halfway through the first episode but yeah, the Jazzercise scene was pretty pretty pretty

I liked it too much

But Marc Maron is a decent guy and I like him pretending to be a misogynist

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

om nom nom posted:

I know people that work for that studio and it breaks my heart to see it get panned by critics.
It's really good!

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

I know people that work for that studio and it breaks my heart to see it get panned by critics.
It's really good!

Does it really get that many bad reviews? It's at 97% on rotten tomatoes.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Rolo posted:

Yeah, Moana is the best Disney movie in years. I was really surprised by it having not heard much about its quality before, it's a Lion King-level feature.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Also if anybody enjoyed Narcos - El Chapo is the poo poo. Very similarly produced and shot, owns hard.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Rolo posted:

If it wasn't englishd dubbed I could've lasted for more than 5 minutes.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

om nom nom posted:

Does it really get that many bad reviews? It's at 97% on rotten tomatoes.

Oh? Maybe it leveled out. The first volley of reviews I saw were weirdly damming.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I watched They Look Like People on Netflix the other night. Way better than I thought it would be and a really different kind of horror film.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

There's a British game show called Release the Hounds that just came out on Netflix and I like the horror aspect to it. I like laughing at the contestants when they scream but I know I would be doing the same if I were put in their situation.

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

It's really good!

One drawback I notice about Laika movies is the video game-like pacing to them, fetch quests and all. If they would cut that poo poo out, they'd be a ton more enjoyable, because everything else is perfect. I went to the theatres to see Kubo and got disappointed that they were still doing that.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I thought Fox app was bad until watching E1/S1 of Wrecked on the TBS Roku app. Holy christ, 22 commercials for a 21 minute tv show! And of course they were 3X louder than the show so I had to stab at the remote every few minutes to mute the volume. gently caress you TBS.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

coyo7e posted:

If it wasn't englishd dubbed I could've lasted for more than 5 minutes.

It is insane how lovely the dubbing is on that movie. Even weirder considering they clearly had at least a little bit of money to play around with. Maybe spring for someone other than "producers cousin who mostly speaks English."

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I felt that Kubo was an absolutely gorgeous animation with bad direction. Nothing felt satisfying, they built up these little victories/challenges on the way and they all fell flat, there was so much padding and unnecessary scenes. It's as if the director had no clue how to properly build tension or payoffs and where to let go and what creates meaningful moments in films, it was all so bland. What carried me through it was the quality of the animation because once again - it's a beautiful looking movie but I was ultimately pretty disappointed.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Should I watch The Expanse?

Last scify series I got hooked on were BSG and firefly but I'm hankering for a new one.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Forever_Peace posted:

Last scify series I got hooked on were BSG and firefly but I'm hankering for a new one.

Yes. Watch it now.

The first season is a bit rough around the edges but once it hits its stride it gets really good really fast. The only real downside to it is that it adds this subplot about the crew of the Rocinante not trusting each other initially, which wasn't in the book. I get why they did it, because the book is very plot driven rather than character focused, so they needed something to fill in a TV runtime, but it comes off a bit forced.

Season 2 is pretty fantastic.

I've been binging on Top Gear on Canadian Netflix and I am annoyed at how many episodes are missing. Not just series, but the special episodes are absent in places as well. I was watching Series 19 the other day, and the Africa two parter is nowhere to be found on the site. Goddammit Canada Netflix.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Forever_Peace posted:

Definitely. S1 is slow as a paraplegic turtle but it sets up for S2 which is awesome.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
The Cave is enjoyable pab, particularly when compared with Sanctum. Filmed in Australia and they closest they managed to get to Pacific Islanders in casting was putting one African guy in a fright wig.

The Descent is way better than either, but it's by the guy that did Dog Soldiers so no surprise there.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
(Netflix U.S. but probably everywhere because it's been dubbed into like every language ever)

Okja, directed and written by Joon-ho Bong (The Host, Snowpiercer)

Warning: Gushing inbound!

Do yourself a favor and watch this. Seriously. It is so hard to pin down exactly what it is that I'm having trouble articulating why. It definitely doesn't fit into any pre-made pigeonhole.

You'll be guessing the entire time. Even when it's over, you still will be grasping at what exactly the film was, what it meant, what it was trying to mean, and even what you yourself thought of it. It's "where is this even going," but in a good way.

At first, you might be tempted to turn it off because you'll assume it's a children's movie about a girl going on a journey to rescue her adorable CG animal friend. This would be a mistake.

Then, when some people show up to help our apparent heroine, you might groan and reach for the remote, assuming it's a propaganda piece. Again, a mistake.

You might want to turn it off when you see how absolutely cartoonishly evil the evil corporation the bad guys work for is. Don't.

It slowly introduces possibilities as to its goal or message as a film, then subtly negates them. For example (very, very minor spoiler), you've just decided it's a classic tale of a child thwarting an evil corporation who is hellbent on exploiting her animal friend for profit--a children's movie staple--when you hear the first "gently caress". It happens so suddenly and fits the scene so well it may go unnoticed until you think "wait a minute, this can't be a kids' movie."

That subtle negation of your expectations is a unique ability that few filmmakers have, and Joon-ho Bong has nailed it perfectly.

So go watch it!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Anyone else watch Castlevania? I'm on episode 2 and it's... not great so far. All I wanted was two hours of awesome gothic fights between a vampire hunter and things that live in the dark and so far I've got an hour of not that.

It never got better.

Len has a new favorite as of 13:41 on Jul 8, 2017

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

My mom has been into British mysteries and dramas on PBS, so I thought she might be interested in a comedy. I went to show her Peep Show, and it's been taken off of US Netflix. :(

It's really bummed me out. I showed her The IT Crowd, which she loves, but wouldn't you know, there's a notice on it that they're taking it off Netflix on Aug 1.

So, PSA, rewatch it now if you wanna.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Len posted:

Anyone else watch Castlevania? I'm on episode 2 and it's... not great so far. All I wanted was two hours of awesome gothic fights between a vampire hunter and things that live in the dark and so far I've got an hour of not that.

It never got better.

That sucks. I expect an action-adventure, heavy on the action part, from something called Castlevania.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

wormil posted:

That sucks. I expect an action-adventure, heavy on the action part, from something called Castlevania.

By the end of the second hour they haven't even entered Draculas Castle yet. Most of the fights are between Trevor and Catholic Priests

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Len posted:

It never got better.

This breaks my heart. I watched most of the first episode and really thought it had a lot of the atmosphere of Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust so I assumed it was building towards something awesome.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

jodai posted:

This breaks my heart. I watched most of the first episode and really thought it had a lot of the atmosphere of Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust so I assumed it was building towards something awesome.

Apparently Netflix trusts it because it's renewed for an 8 episode second season. Maybe it'll turn around and have more monster hunting.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Len posted:

Apparently Netflix trusts it because it's renewed for an 8 episode second season. Maybe it'll turn around and have more monster hunting.

My fiancée and I just finished s1, it really only ever consisted of slow burn introductions and setup. Literally nothing else was accomplished story-wise, which was disappointing.

That said, s1 did end on a high enough note that we'd watch another season.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
There are more shows for me to watch than I will ever have time for so when I hear that Castlevania is boring, it's done. It goes off my list and I'll never watch it. It doesn't matter if it gets better later, because there is no later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

I've never played Castlevania so I never knew what to expect, so as someone who is completely ignorant of the lore and story I liked it, and it didn't feel any slow for me, it felt really SHORT. I finished watching it and I was left expecting a bit more, like...something was missing there. lol but anyway, it's getting renewed so at least it will continue.

Gotta love the fact that was mostly animated by hand. :allears: