Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Silly Burrito posted:

Hey, Batman is always a badass. ;)

I like that they didn't try to tell the origin story again. We all know how Spider-Man got started at this point.

Also, seeing him as a high school kid again works really well.

yeah I liked that too. We knew how he turned into Spider-Man no need to reinvent that.

I did find the high school Peter good as well. And his Samoan fat friend was hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Workout question for lifting goons. My deadlift is starting to exceed my grip strength. Should I get some of those lifting straps or work on my grip before continuing to increase weight

Using an alternating grip can help (one hand facing forward, the other facing back). Also, farmer walks are good, or after my heavy work I'll drop the weight down to 225 or whatever and just do a couple single rep sets where I pause at the top for 30-60 seconds.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

mix your grip, but only do it once you get to about 80% of your 1RM.

do NOT use straps for regular training just because it's getting hard. Hands go before your lower back does, and adding straps into the equation before you're a pretty seasoned lifter is a one way ticket to snap city.

like what's your 1rm if you're comfortable posting it

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I pretty much always use mix grip it feels so much better for deadlifts. Why is it bad?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

FizFashizzle posted:

mix your grip, but only do it once you get to about 80% of your 1RM.

do NOT use straps for regular training just because it's getting hard. Hands go before your lower back does, and adding straps into the equation before you're a pretty seasoned lifter is a one way ticket to snap city.

like what's your 1rm if you're comfortable posting it

Just starting out with serious strength training so my 1 rep max deadlift is only at 225. I felt my grip going doing 200x5 so I will probably just try mix grip

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Just starting out with serious strength training so my 1 rep max deadlift is only at 225. I felt my grip going doing 200x5 so I will probably just try mix grip

yeah, you're still learning the movement. Don't introduce straps into this, because you're probably still at the point where your legs can push more than your core can support.

Just try out mixed grip. If you're not sure which hand to go over/under, just reach down and do it. Whichever hand goes wherever, there ya go.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I pretty much always use mix grip it feels so much better for deadlifts. Why is it bad?

You'll become unbalanced.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

FizFashizzle posted:

yeah, you're still learning the movement. Don't introduce straps into this, because you're probably still at the point where your legs can push more than your core can support.

Just try out mixed grip. If you're not sure which hand to go over/under, just reach down and do it. Whichever hand goes wherever, there ya go.

Thanks,

I've been doing the Starting Strength program and trying to watch my form

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Thanks,

I've been doing the Starting Strength program and trying to watch my form

butt down chest up keep the bar close

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
My max bench is a firehouse sub

Dang these are good how did I just discover this

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

butt down chest up keep the bar close

Thanks, btw. The book says once I reach a point after a few weeks where the deadlift is strong enough I should start alternating deadlifts and power cleans but I am not exactly sure how to know when I should start alternating

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Thanks, btw. The book says once I reach a point after a few weeks where the deadlift is strong enough I should start alternating deadlifts and power cleans but I am not exactly sure how to know when I should start alternating

that's absolute stupidity unless you have a coach to teach you the movement.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

that's absolute stupidity unless you have a coach to teach you the movement.

Good to know, should I schedule a few sessions with a trainer at my gym or do I need a special coach to even consider it

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Good to know, should I schedule a few sessions with a trainer at my gym or do I need a special coach to even consider it

it's very unlikely a typical gym trainer will be able to teach you the movement.

try to find an oly town where you live. failing that, ill give you a recommendation for a crossfit gym where you can get some 1 on 1 training.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

You'll become unbalanced.

Ah, never considered that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Spoeank posted:

There would be Nazis in WW but WW killed em and stopped them from becoming Nazis if you really think about it

Actually, all Wonder Woman did was help ensure the creation of Nazis. The holocaust only happened because of a time traveling Israeli woman.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Anals of History posted:

Ah, never considered that.

also its a way for weird injuries to happen

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Skwirl posted:

Actually, all Wonder Woman did was help ensure the creation of Nazis. The holocaust only happened because of a time traveling Israeli woman.

So Hitler was... right?

:thunk:

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

it's very unlikely a typical gym trainer will be able to teach you the movement.

try to find an oly town where you live. failing that, ill give you a recommendation for a crossfit gym where you can get some 1 on 1 training.

I actually found out there's a renowned body building gym right by me at work. I'm going to pop in Monday after work and see what it's about. They get people in shape for comps but I'm not really sure what they do for civilizing who just want to get in bigger and better shape

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Workout question for lifting goons. My deadlift is starting to exceed my grip strength. Should I get some of those lifting straps or work on my grip before continuing to increase weight

I alternate my over/under sides each set. If doing an odd number of sets, I do the 1st set with regular overhand grip.

Don't use straps, you need to increase your grip strength along with everything else.

E: Fiz gotchu

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Find a barbell, load as much weight on it as you can, and pick it up and put it over your head, do this 100 times a day and in 6 months you will be strong like a bull

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Eat 16 oz of chuck ground beef for every meal too, this will give you the vitamins for mass

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Eat 16 oz of chuck ground beef for every meal too, this will give you the vitamins for mass

Cooked or uncooked?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

MrLogan posted:

Cooked or uncooked?

Cooking ruins the vitamins.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Find a barbell, load as much weight on it as you can, and pick it up and put it over your head, do this 100 times a day and in 6 months you will be strong like a bull

Opinions on veggies?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Amy Pole Her posted:

Opinions on veggies?

kale, spinach, any of the superfoods

i sautee spinach, onions and garlic in a little bit of bacon grease every morning.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

I actually found out there's a renowned body building gym right by me at work. I'm going to pop in Monday after work and see what it's about. They get people in shape for comps but I'm not really sure what they do for civilizing who just want to get in bigger and better shape

those guys make their money by training people that want to get in shape.

although there's really not that much they can tell you you can't find online, but a lot of people need that one on one engagement to stay motivated, which is fine.

olympic lifting is a different story. you need someone there for you rep for rep.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Do you hate participation trophies?

Will your son succeed no matter what?

Then sign up today

https://www.soccergenomics.com/dna-soccer-test/

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/883776888837156867

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Kalli posted:

Then sign up today

At least one person is going to do that and discover their son or daughter has something like Huntington's because it was recessive in both parents. That's going to be a fun conversation.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

lol someone left 23 and Me and decided to spin it off to take advantage of the only parents who could afford to buy his product.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Amy Pole Her posted:

Opinions on veggies?

Broccoli and cauliflower are the best

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I like cooking spinach in duck fat. Also, cooking kale with a bit of garlic and like a tablespoon or two of red wine makes it real good.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Kalli posted:

Then sign up today

I hope they store those family's records so they can be first against the wall during the revolution.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Kalli posted:

Then sign up today

My favorite part of this is the assertion that they have a hologram of your child on record and ready to go

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

My favorite part of this is the assertion that they have a hologram of your child on record and ready to go

They hired Jared from Subway as a subcontractor.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I mostly cook sweet potato, broccoli, squash, asparagus and zucchini

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I just went a week without internet of any sort, this must have been what it was like to live before man discovered how to make fire.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Oh man if you want some fun click on "Affiliated Clubs"

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Amy Pole Her posted:

I mostly cook sweet potato, broccoli, squash, asparagus and zucchini

Same, minus the sweet potato

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
buttered spinach bay-bay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

raw broccoli florets. Used to just eat them like popcorn.
cucumber and tomato salad with dill, capers, feta cheese, maybe oil & vinegar
we eat a lot of romaine, it's a really good lettuce
slooooowly sautee onion, carrot, celery and you have mirepoix, the base for tons of different dishes. Add bell pepper for creole, maybe without the carrots.

joe's special: brown a pound of ground beef, drain the fat. Remove the meat, sautee half an onion diced along with a couple three cloves of garlic. When it's nice and clear, mix in lots of fresh or frozen spinach, get that mostly cooked, and then throw back in the meat, cook another minute, add in three or four eggs and scramble it all together. Add plenty of cracked black pepper and salt to taste. Packed with protein, vitamins, not too much fat, low carbs. Awesome. My favorite way to eat spinach.

chop a whole head of iceberg lettuce into quarters. Grab a quarter and wash it with cold water and then eat it, just like that, just fuckin' eat it straight, no condiments, nothing. It's good man. Also just eat a carrot like that too, gently caress it why not? Carrots are actually quite sweet, if you pay attention, it's like dang this is a nice sweet carrot.

• Locked thread