Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Capsize is borderline unbeatable in limited isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

MisterOblivious posted:

A shaggy dog story about my local game shop, how WOTC absolutely thunderfucked them, and a Google Maps conundrum/easter egg:

TL;DR: Some cheeky loving bastard went onto google maps and labeled the old Legion Games location as "Misty Mountain" and marked it "Permanently closed" on google maps.

So the closest game store to me for the last 10 years or so started off as "Misty Mountain Games North" (in 2006) and was run by Steve Port, aka "Legion Events". June 2011, the stripmall Misty Mountain was in was scheduled for destruction to put up some fancy-schmancy rental apartments, so he relocated the store a thousand feet northwest onto the main highway and rebranded it Legion Games . He started up Legion Supplies, which you are all familiar with, in the back warehouse. Sometime in early 2015 Steve announced he decided to sell the game store to a local chain so he could concentrate on hosting GPs. After he sold the game store he did business out the back warehouse for a while, then...

Middle of 2015 WOTC said gently caress you for competing with Ultra PRO dropped Legion Events and handed the region's GPs over to Pastimes, a move exactly 0 people were publicly happy about.

Dreamers games moved next door in their strip mall and continued to use the Legion branding. Legion rented new warehouse space.

So anyways. The local chain that purchased the game store, Dreamer's Vault, has used the Legion Games branding on the store and website since 2015. They finally left the old Legion Games branded store in February 2017 and now have a Dreamer's Vault branded location a few miles away in a different strip mall.

The original Legion game shop is a Harbor Freight now. The lingerie and sex toy shop Legion Games shared an entrance (and bathroom) with got it's own entrance now that Harbor Freight moved in.

Some cheeky loving bastard went onto google maps and labeled the old Legion Games location as "Misty Mountain" and marked it "Permanently closed" on google maps.

I'm trying to suggest edits to fix the map, but I'm not sure how or if I even want to.You can't rename a place that's already marked "Permanently closed" without first making an edit that suggests it's not permanently closed. There's no "correct the name of a business that's permanently closed" button. I can't say the business moved because Legion Supplies moved just around the corner but the game shop, now owned by different people entirely, moved to a different place a few miles away.

Yeesh. I haven't been to Legion for awhile, but that's a huge dick move.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

TheKingofSprings posted:

Capsize is borderline unbeatable in limited isn't it?

Just about. I won the first game because my opponent was playing four colors and doing very little with them. It took a while to get around the two blockers, but I just needed enough creatures to get in enough chip damage. In the second match, they just got hosed and I rushed them.

Match two was against a kid that opened Samut and Gideon. That was a pretty miserable two games.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Bugsy posted:

:lol: Fred Ditzler sounds like a fake persons name.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Seems like there are waaay less pre release reports this time than usual. (I didn't go)

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Went 3-1, opened some garbage rares (promo and one of them was Leave//Chance), opened a samut planeswalker, an hour of eternity, nothing decent in amonkhet.

Only decent rare was mirage mirror, which was totally busted. Won me kinda every game.

My loss was to a nicol bolas deck that drew it early both games and just rolled me. That +2 ability is heinous.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Seems like there are waaay less pre release reports this time than usual. (I didn't go)

Mine starts in 15 :getin:

This will be the first set in quite awhile that I won't also be doing 2HG, feels odd.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Rinkles posted:

I enjoyed my prerelease but honestly, there's not a whole lot to write about UR evasive stuff. Blue fliers still good, water still wet. :shrug: In hindsight I shoulda played a Hoopoe, I was already splashing for Samut and could've used another flying body.

I did get to Stifle Birb an opponent's Banewhip Punisher activation though. That was satisfying. :shobon:

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Siivola posted:

I enjoyed my prerelease but honestly, there's not a whole lot to write about UR evasive stuff. Blue fliers still good, water still wet. :shrug: In hindsight I shoulda played a Hoopoe, I was already splashing for Samut and could've used another flying body.

I did get to Stifle Birb an opponent's Banewhip Punisher activation though. That was satisfying. :shobon:

How did that samut work out for you?

I got good plays off of it + mirage mirror + rhonas stalwart/ahn crop crasher

The other times it just died usually.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I opened a pool with AKH Samut, Nicol Bolas, Scarab God, Kefnet's Last Word, Hour of Eternity, and generic good UB stuff. Originally I played Bolas, Scarab, Last Word, Hour in my deck but my friend talked me out of Hour. I went 2-1, losing a match that went 3 games to the Scorpion God. I enjoyed myself personally

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Oh right, I didn't specify mine was AKH Samut. :v: Didn't really see her, drew her maybe three times and got to cast her once. The one time she got to the table she swung for eight and then got her Final Reward while a bat ate all my remaining life.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Oh wow the next large set is dinosaur pirate treasure adventures? drat!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Oh, Ambuscade's a beating by the way. Feel like green got a big leg up with that one.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I went 2-0 vs Persona 5

Then 0-2 vs. 20 metric tonnes of chicken poo poo in the morning flight

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

0-2 drop today. Real real bad pull today, wound up just going U/W flyers and hoping for the best. Glyph Keeper getting essence scattered then exiled from gy was the wordt.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
2-1 so far.

Have you ever had the thought to do a sealed deck three colors even though it was a stretch, then after realizing it was stretch slap yourself across the face and switch to two colors before the second round? I have.

E: AND it didn't matter. Dropped after 2-2. I lost 0-2 in the last round, and my opponent was SO close to lethal both times. Last game I looked at my topdeck and it would've been Fling, of course.

InterrupterJones fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 9, 2017

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I went 3-1 to come in 2nd place, mostly off the back of drawing the Scrab God a lot. Promo was an Excavator that I didn't play, and I opened another one in my prize packs. Between that and the scarab, that's actually fantastic value for this set!

I also opened that big dumb black demon that makes you sac a creature every turn to use it and then didn't play it because it's just so loving bad, goddamn. It's amazing that they managed to take a big flyer and make it so trash you can't even play it in limited.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

InterrupterJones posted:

2-1 so far.

Have you ever had the thought to do a sealed deck three colors even though it was a stretch, then after realizing it was stretch slap yourself across the face and switch to two colors before the second round? I have.

All the time. I've done it after the first game a bunch, too.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Siivola posted:

Oh, Ambuscade's a beating by the way. Feel like green got a big leg up with that one.

Ambuscade is, I think, the first real Overrun in quite some time. Green used to get them rarely and they were consistently the best green uncommon in the set.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The Overrun is Overcome. Ambuscade is the slightly worse Clear Shot at common.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

InterrupterJones posted:

2-1 so far.

The only guy who ran three colors at my draft played a bolas planewalker. He seemed to do ok. My buddy played 3 and cut to do 2 after his first match, first round.

Ambuscade is busted.

Rules q, can the mirror be used to copy an exert creature and exert attack with it every turn?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Finished up my second go around at 3-1 again. Promo was the stifle bird and didn't get much else outside a Solemnity in prize packs.

Ended up building W/U/r "All the Removal" feat. Hour of Eternity which is a loving bomb if you can cast it. You know what's better than Fan Bearer? A 4/4 Fan Bearer that can hold off your opponents whole board, then tap down the one answer creature they pull.

Bullshit deck of the day goes to a guy who pulled promo Scarab God, Locust God, Gideon, Kefnet's Last Word, invocation Counterspell, AND the stifle bird. Yeah.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Carl Killer Miller posted:

Rules q, can the mirror be used to copy an exert creature and exert attack with it every turn?

I'm pretty sure it still shouldn't untap even if it's not that creature anymore.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

The only guy who ran three colors at my draft played a bolas planewalker. He seemed to do ok. My buddy played 3 and cut to do 2 after his first match, first round.

Ambuscade is busted.

It won't untap.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Voyager I posted:

I went 3-1 to come in 2nd place, mostly off the back of drawing the Scrab God a lot. Promo was an Excavator that I didn't play, and I opened another one in my prize packs. Between that and the scarab, that's actually fantastic value for this set!

I also opened that big dumb black demon that makes you sac a creature every turn to use it and then didn't play it because it's just so loving bad, goddamn. It's amazing that they managed to take a big flyer and make it so trash you can't even play it in limited.

Would you play a six mana enchantment that says, "at the beginning of your upkeep, you may sacrifice a creature. If you do, deal damage to your opponent equal to the number of cards in your graveyard" because that's pretty much what it is. The card is fine and you probably should be playing it unless you have no removal and no cycling stuff and no combat tricks and no card draw/mind rots and if you lack all those things you should probably play it anyway in your 23 creature deck simply so you can close the game out with a big flying creature.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Went 3-1 red / black scarab feast, had 7 kill spells and a ton of -1/-1 counters cards. Also splashed Bolas as my top end finisher.

Elyv posted:

Nicol Bolas is not that good in sealed

At least I cast him twice

Wrong. I cast him 3 times and he won each game. Seriously though - he is only decent on board stalls or with an empty board, but if you have any board presence he runs away with the game hard.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
My deck was creature light and already kind of on the slow side, so turning him on would have burdensome and getting him killed after eating a creature would have been utterly backbreaking.

Unrelated: what did Youtube dude to change how their revenue stream works? CFB used to upload their deck streams with an individual video for each match, and now they're doing them all in one video instead. This is fine, I guess, but now one of their streamers has managed to make a three hour video playing fuckin' Burn, featuring himself slowly ticking through every phase of his own goddamned turn after tapping out. He's taken five minutes to play two turns and I don't think I can watch anymore; I just want to know why.

Also their comments don't load on my browser so I can't even call him out directly.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Brian Demars is fine but oh my god he's really bad at MTGO. I stopped watching him after a few videos. He really needs to take a few months to learn how to MTGO properly.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I checked the youtube comments and it's almost entirely people going "holy gently caress three hours" or "I watched this at 2x speed and it still took too long", so that was at least a little cathartic.

I couldn't make through M1G1, but I guess not knowing how to use MTGO is better than him just deliberately padding the video length for ad revenue.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Ask Me For Warez posted:

It won't untap.

If it doesn't untap that turn, is it still an artifact with first strike, any lifegain abilities, etc? What effects does it 'keep'?

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

If it doesn't untap that turn, is it still an artifact with first strike, any lifegain abilities, etc? What effects does it 'keep'?

It reads "until end of turn," so it only retains those abilities as long is it's a creature. However, the exert effect stays since it isn't contingent on its status as a creature (and it didn't leave the battlefield).

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Went 1-2-1 bit still had a good time. I played White/Green exert. When I got all the pieces on the board it played really well but had a few rounds where I had some serious mana problems.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
I went 1-3 in my first prerealese ever but had a good time. I built a super janky r/g aggro deck with no lategame plan that just wasn't aggressive enough. B/W fliers seems pretty strong, and I think the etb tapped deserts are actually ok, cycling is nice, and there are enough desert matters effect to merit it, I think. I also have no idea how to build better decks in sealed.

My big takeaways are that the green two mana 2/2 with exert for +1/+1 and not being blockable by things with power 2 or less is actually super solid, and frontline devastator performed super well.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

Hour of Eternity which is a loving bomb if you can cast it

No lies. I went 1-2 (taking both losses to 3 matches), and in the third game my opponent got both of his wins off of that card. If you don't have a board wipe w e l p good luck.

Didn't draw my glorybringer a single time all night which felt bad. Still had a lot of fun, my losses were competitive (except that last one where we both flooded and he drew HoE).

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

No lies. I went 1-2 (taking both losses to 3 matches), and in the third game my opponent got both of his wins off of that card. If you don't have a board wipe w e l p good luck.

Didn't draw my glorybringer a single time all night which felt bad. Still had a lot of fun, my losses were competitive (except that last one where we both flooded and he drew HoE).

Just for future use, a match is multiple games, usually first to two game wins (though time constraints mean that it can sometimes be "or until you run out of time"). There are a few exceptions in high tournament level play (like first to three wins), but this is the general rule.

I believe that's why cards like glorious end or mechanized production (to use two recent cards) say "you lose the game/you win the game" instead of "you win/lose". This is true for most other card games, too: I know Yugioh has Victory Dragon, which, if used to kill your opponent, actually wins you the whole match!

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

suicidesteve posted:

Brian Demars is fine but oh my god he's really bad at MTGO. I stopped watching him after a few videos. He really needs to take a few months to learn how to MTGO properly.

i was super bored and i watched his modern burn video and i forget which game or match it was but he's like "maybe eidolon is the right play" and then he spends something like five straight minutes talking himself into eidolon even tho the line of play definitely changes after the opponent ends up stuck on forests only with a birds or noble heirarch he could have killed

then he gets hit with a jund burn spell to wipe his board. i am not gonna say 100% the kill the heirarch or birds plan was for sure the line but its extremely obvious he got absolute tunnel vision on the line he started thinking about first

mattah
Nov 9, 2003

Oh Pikachu!
What's going on with Intruder Alarm? Some combo in the new set, or just a random buyout?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

mattah posted:

What's going on with Intruder Alarm? Some combo in the new set, or just a random buyout?

The white bear that exerts to make a 1/1 goes infinite with it on curve, and it's legal in Modern, so I guess we've got our next flash-in-the-pan combo deck.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Voyager I posted:

The white bear that exerts to make a 1/1 goes infinite with it on curve, and it's legal in Modern, so I guess we've got our next flash-in-the-pan combo deck.

The cat-maker, along with a mana dork that taps for white?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Archenteron posted:

The cat-maker, along with a mana dork that taps for white?

T2 Steward -> T3 Alarm, make infinity tokens.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jul 9, 2017