Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

JordanKai posted:

You'd think Notch would use his nigh limitless resources to at least fund a cool video game or something instead of sitting on it. I don't know what kind of games he likes but I'm sure he has at least one idea of an ideal dream game that he could be putting into action.

It probably wouldn't be as successful as minecraft, why bother :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

I could probably be really happy if I had infinite computer games.

Infinite bloodbornes and they never get boring.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

WampaLord posted:

I feel like that's the product of being a boring person. If I had unlimited money, I'd be traveling, learning poo poo, having adventures and whatnot. I would never run out of stuff to do.

same. id marry my gf. give her mom and step dad and my parents better houses(both want to move) then travel the world learning about history, herping and funding lefty causes as well as help my gf with her animal rights issues. also better tv and infintie games.

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Notch's issue is he doesn't understand that money isn't the end, it's a means to the end of buying that giant mansion to throw giant parties once a week and travel and meet new people and see new things. Like, money can get you to a lot of very cool interesting places and great experiences, but not if you never go out your front door.

Notch is a socially-impaired nerd like the rest of us. Dollars to donuts he would not approach someone or start a conversation simply to make friends. He's probably the type of person who feels they need to have some sort of excuse like work or school in order to inflict their physical presence on another human being. With infinite money, he doesn't need a job and therefore has no excuse for interpersonal interactions.

As a bonus, he spends all his time on the internet, which is a great way to lose all perspective and start believing insane conspiracy theories. He also has people sucking his dick constantly because they like a thing he made.

I can't say I'd be any different from him if I were in his shoes, except for wasting more of my money on outlandish purchases probably.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Weldon Pemberton posted:

Notch is a socially-impaired nerd like the rest of us. Dollars to donuts he would not approach someone or start a conversation simply to make friends.

yeah like seriously why would anyone do that???

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Weldon Pemberton posted:

I can't say I'd be any different from him if I were in his shoes, except for wasting more of my money on outlandish purchases probably.

I can say that and you need to reevaluate your life if you seriously can't.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
if I had unlimited money I'd first spend it on making everyone I know's lives immensely better and accomplishing all the dreams of my friends and relatives, then I'd start funding democracy activists all around the middle east to help them overthrow their regimes.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Rich people are all basically insane, not just the randos elevated by circumstance. It's really bad for your mind to have functionally absolute power over other human beings and to see them only as tools or means.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Al-Saqr posted:

if I had unlimited money I'd first spend it on making everyone I know's lives immensely better and accomplishing all the dreams of my friends and relatives, then I'd start funding democracy activists all around the middle east to help them overthrow their regimes.

i'd do the reverse of all this

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i would probably buy video games instead of stealing them

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
If I had a billion dollars, I'd flip Ohio. For a hundred years.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jul 8, 2017

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

JordanKai posted:

You'd think Notch would use his nigh limitless resources to at least fund a cool video game or something instead of sitting on it. I don't know what kind of games he likes but I'm sure he has at least one idea of an ideal dream game that he could be putting into action.

He's tried a number of times but of course all his attempts are half-assed implementations of half-baked ideas.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

He should produce ideas he likes that other people have passion for

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

Who What Now posted:

I can say that and you need to reevaluate your life if you seriously can't.

Well, I wouldn't sit there hurling gamergate-related abuse and being politically repugnant, but I would probably sit around making other kinds of shitposts.

I dunno, I'm too self-aware to believe this lie everybody else is telling themselves about how their personality would instantly change and they'd jump into action to solve the world's problems if only they had money. Unless energetically altruistic people are overrepresented on this forum somehow, people generally dedicate very little of their time to helping others who aren't family and close friends, not because they aren't nice people who want to help but because they only have so much energy and are easily distracted.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I would build a nerf arena in my new house

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Trust Funds for all my nephews and nieces, pay off all my parents and sisters and my debts. Then weekend trips to Disney world every week till I was sick of the place.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

BigRed0427 posted:

Trust Funds for all my nephews and nieces, pay off all my parents and sisters and my debts. Then weekend trips to Disney world every week till I was sick of the place.

Maybe you should pay Greg back for buying your house you lousy freeloader

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Lovechop posted:

i'd do the reverse of all this

Oh you mean the normal for rich people.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Bill Gates has the right idea because he can spend infinite time, funds and effort on a problem but also make progress, build a legacy and a direction for his family.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Bill found the one neat trick to not have everyone hate you

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009
I'd like to think that if I got more money than I could ever spend I'd just end up pretending I didn't have it beyond not needing to worry about bills.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Several public health people I've worked with have refused to collaborate with the Gates foundation because they have a reputation for loving up both interventions and research.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

If I had unlimited money I would dedicate all of my time and effort to shortening Steve King's political career as much as possible. We're talking "private investigators looking for his KKK robes/illegitimate hispanic children" and "finding a leftist veteran farmer to run for that same office".

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I like to think I would do a lot of good things if I was filthy rich.

I would also hire a lot of hookers though. The really high class ones, the ones who are really good at acting like they care.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
If I was a game dev and had a windfall of $2 billion, I'd fund about five hundred independent game studios to the tune of $2m each. That'd leave me a spare billion to throw around and five hundred games being made that otherwise might not be.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Gender transition funding for people who can't get it otherwise, buying and forgiving medical debt, ditto for student loans, help figure out what the gently caress to do about the housing crisis in my state because I seriously don't know, and help fund HBomb and Contra's patreons. Is that 2 billion yet? I'm thinking maybe Jim Sterling too.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
But I would still buy the lowest grade of gasoline because the other numbers are super bougie.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

DC Murderverse posted:

If I had unlimited money I would dedicate all of my time and effort to shortening Steve King's political career as much as possible. We're talking "private investigators looking for his KKK robes/illegitimate hispanic children" and "finding a leftist veteran farmer to run for that same office".
This is the most noble of goals listed so far.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So what is the line between discussing Youtube videos and talking about Internet Drama. I think this falls into the latter but...ughh it's making me mad.

Social media was a mistake.

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

Maybe you should pay Greg back for buying your house you lousy freeloader

Is this a reference to something? Cause it wen't over my head.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 9, 2017

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Somfin posted:

If I was a game dev and had a windfall of $2 billion, I'd fund about five hundred independent game studios to the tune of $2m each. That'd leave me a spare billion to throw around and five hundred games being made that otherwise might not be.

Basically what Blow did with his ~tens of millions.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

business hammocks posted:

Rich people are all basically insane, not just the randos elevated by circumstance. It's really bad for your mind to have functionally absolute power over other human beings and to see them only as tools or means.

Even just being "well off" (like making six figures or something) really messes with a person's ability to understand and empathize with people worse off. Even when a well off person genuinely means well, their understanding of the issues affecting the working class is so poor that they don't even know what sort of solutions to aim for. And even then, virtually all well off people aren't actually willing to make any significant sacrifices. Even if on some level they want to fight poverty, if you suggest anything that would involve a significant tax increase, they'll rationalize disagreeing by thinking "well, I want to help the poor, but maybe there's a more ~elegant~ way to do so without heavy government spending!"

It's a shame in a way, because it's not like wealthy people have some sort of "bad person" gene. It's just that the very state of being wealthy fundamentally corrupts a person.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Even just being "well off" (like making six figures or something) really messes with a person's ability to understand and empathize with people worse off.

This is true, and now consider the fact that literally every politician/lobbyist/influencer in DC makes this much or much more.

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

Got no use for psychiatry
I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
My tongue is a double agent
Are you sure though? From my experience the kind of person who is driven to make that kind of money is fundamentally broken in some way. Source: my friends' rich parents who are all stark raving loving mad.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

If I had a billion dollars I would buy a mansion and create the most awesome murder mystery LARPs. Also I could fill my spare time with getting properly into EVE Online as it is essentially a job anyways. Then I would learn to play Dwarf Fortress and get in some Civ 5 games once in a while.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

sargon makes $80,000 a year for being wrong and dumb.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Groovelord Neato posted:

sargon makes $80,000 a year for being wrong and dumb because he expresses political opinions i disagree with

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

No he still makes that much even if you agree with him, and he's still wrong and dumb too.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i hate the idea that political positions are opinions. i guess they are but opinions can be objectively wrong if you want it to be that way.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

No he's wrong and dumb because he doesn't do research and will put thing in his videos that disprove his own arguments because he's too lazy and stupid to realize

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

sargon makes $80,000 a year for being wrong and dumb.

Surely it's $60,000. Is his patreon still going up? It was like $5,000 a month last time I checked.

• Locked thread