Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Have you gotten Farpoint yet Mellow? I want to hear your take on it. It just seems like you'd be so into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

metztli posted:

Let us know how that works if you try it - I wonder how stable the base will be if you pull etc. Hm or you could attach a retractable to that and maybe get the best of both worlds, if you find yourself pulling it off balance.
I found this setup which I'll try and incorporate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxJBouVRDrI

Got a few places nearby I believe could hold the leash.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
I don't know about spending too much time/:10bux: arranging a cable suspension system when wireless is likely to be a Gen2 upgrade. I already am dreading the day in the not-too-distant future when inside-out tracking becomes standard and I have to get those adhesive camera mounts off my ceiling.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Zsinjeh posted:

I found this setup which I'll try and incorporate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxJBouVRDrI

Got a few places nearby I believe could hold the leash.

Fishing for dorks.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
The Age of Enlightenment is upon and it comes with a leash

Zsinjeh fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jul 9, 2017

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

The Walrus posted:

so you can chain grab positions easily like the zero gravity sections in climbey? I'll have to do that.

edit: hybrid control mode in revive was the culprit

Glad you were able to get it sorted out, this game is so so good I want everyone to play

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

veni veni veni posted:

Have you gotten Farpoint yet Mellow? I want to hear your take on it. It just seems like you'd be so into it.

I cannot find the bundle anywhere :smith:

double priced resellers and hopeful driving for 40 miles to a walmart that might have it in the back does not count

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ugh. Yeah it really sucks that Sony hasn't said a drat thing about when they are going to make more of them. Well, when you snag one, co-op is fun as hell and lord knows I don't have much else to do with my aim controller atm.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

I don't know about spending too much time/:10bux: arranging a cable suspension system when wireless is likely to be a Gen2 upgrade. I already am dreading the day in the not-too-distant future when inside-out tracking becomes standard and I have to get those adhesive camera mounts off my ceiling.

I wouldn't pin all your hopes on wireless being standard in gen 2. Right now wireless has to transfer a 2160x1200 frame as quickly as possible. Some companies are using 5GHz 802.11ac and are trying to do stuff like h.264 compression in realtime, which will lower quality and introduce latency. It won't feel as good as using a cable, which means Oculus definitely would not make that trade-off and I would bet that HTC wouldn't either. Latency is super important for VR.

Companies like TPCAST use 60GHz transmitters that require a direct line of sight at close range as you get huge signal degradation through plain walls. These are much better than the 5GHz solutions as you don't need to compress the image.

The 60GHz spectrum is between 57-64GHz and supports up to 6 channels (depending on country). From what I can tell, a single channel should give you a max transfer rate of 6756.75 Mbit/s. Sending a 2160x1200 frame (rgb 3 bytes) at 90Hz should be 2160*1200*3*8*90 = 5,598,720,000 bits/s. Or 5.59872 Gbit/s. We just fit within the bandwidth of the current 802.11ad spec.

If 2nd gen VR supports something like 1200ppi displays, then we are looking at a resolution somewhere around 3160x2844, assuming the screens are physically the same size as 1st gen screens (90mm diagonal, so about 66.9mm by 60.2mm). 3160*2844*3*8*90 = 19,412,006,400 bits/s. Or 19.4120064 Gbit/s. At that point, we have to use the future 802.11ay spec which allows you to bond up to four channels in the 60GHz spectrum. Draft version 1.0 of that spec is due this month. From what I can tell, it would allow between 20-40 Gbit/s data rates. 3160x2844 is already hitting up against that theoretical lower limit. Also, who knows if by gen 2 this spec will be finalized and if equipment will be available to take advantage of it. It will most likely be quite costly.

I can see companies skipping out on wireless by default in gen 2, choosing instead to put the cost on things like eye tracking and display resolution. I think it would stay as add-on territory until 3rd gen at the earliest.

That said, if anybody thinks I made a mistake in all this, please let me know.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 9, 2017

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

So the right click on the right track pad on my right Vive wand stopped working? Only had my Vive a week. Is this something that has happened to anyone else or is my wand buggered?

Also compound is really loving good and made me get fps's in vr. The key seems to be small busy environments and a slow walk speed. And not because of motion sickness because I don't really get that but more because I can interact with cover and corners better without worrying about shooting way passed them when I'm trying to nudge up to the edge.

God I really like that game.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme

Nalin posted:

That said, if anybody thinks I made a mistake in all this, please let me know.

Well, you clearly know a hell of a lot more about it than I do. I was just extrapolating based on the Vive wireless addon that's supposedly on the way; didn't think to take 2nd gen resolutions into account. Still, with how obnoxious the cord can be, I imagine there will be a lot of incentive to come up with a solution of some sort.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Oh has anyone tried a locomotion method where you lean in the direction you want to go? Like you would have a center vertical line in the middle of your play space and stand in it to stay still and then lean forward to go forward, lean back for backwards and lean left and right to side step?

It might even help with motion sickness because you are getting a small bit of acceleration from the leaning motion? Or maybe not I don't know much about these things.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I think someone put a demo for something like that out awhile back, called it like Segway locomotion, I didn't try it idk how well it works.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

BoneMonkey posted:

Oh has anyone tried a locomotion method where you lean in the direction you want to go? Like you would have a center vertical line in the middle of your play space and stand in it to stay still and then lean forward to go forward, lean back for backwards and lean left and right to side step?

It might even help with motion sickness because you are getting a small bit of acceleration from the leaning motion? Or maybe not I don't know much about these things.

Having to stand in the center of your playspace without moving around for fear of altering your locomotion would not be an improvement over existing free movement locomotion methods. The potential for having unanticipated movement due to not centering yourself would contribute greatly to motion sickness problems.

Take out the center position thing you also have a problem with 3 body location sensors, you can't really detect a lean, you would need an additional waist sensor at least. A lot of games would benefit from a waist sensor to detect leaning like Onward so you can lean around corners and shoot people and get better detection of a prone position.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I think you'd be more interested in headset rotation than position delta from room center, if you really wanted to replicate a Segway you could have virtual handlebars and account for hand position that way

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

I feel like I'm missing out but I haven't been able to complete a full round of Echo Arena yet due to motion sickness. I only got my headset a week ago so maybe I don't have my VR legs yet or maybe I'm just bad at turning so that I'm always facing the same direction my character's flying.. either way, guess I'm not going to get to enjoy this one as much as everyone else seems to be doing during the beta.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

BoneMonkey posted:

There's a pong/windjammers type game on oculus that does this for moving left and right. It's not great. I'm not all that susceptible to VR sickness and it made me feel weird.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Here's to hoping we get some cheap VR-Ankle straps so we have an intermediary product for running (by jogging in place.)

Plus they'll also work for combat games (Spartan Kicks, Ninja Kicks, more broken TVs.)
And we'll finally get RampageVR.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

BoneMonkey posted:

So the right click on the right track pad on my right Vive wand stopped working? Only had my Vive a week. Is this something that has happened to anyone else or is my wand buggered?

This is normal. Vive hardware is kind of bad and lovely. They have nice tracking tech though, enjoy your RMA.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
It is really dumb they put The Unspoken free weekend on the same weekend as the Echo Arena beta but turns out no one can figure out how to even get in? I wanted to try it :(

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

There's a pong/windjammers type game on oculus that does this for moving left and right. It's not great. I'm not all that susceptible to VR sickness and it made me feel weird.

I completely disagree, I think the movement in Ripcoil is amazing. But it's very specific as you are literally floating on a platform that moves laterally. Don't think it's some kind of universal solution.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

AndrewP posted:

I completely disagree, I think the movement in Ripcoil is amazing. But it's very specific as you are literally floating on a platform that moves laterally. Don't think it's some kind of universal solution.
it's absolutely horrible because it's by head angle not body angle. Naturally leaning forward or sideways doesn't move it like you expect.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Lemming posted:

Glad you were able to get it sorted out, this game is so so good I want everyone to play

not two minutes into the session my controller died. this'll be the third repair, if they charge me I might just say gently caress it and wait for knuckles to come out.

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Well, you clearly know a hell of a lot more about it than I do. I was just extrapolating based on the Vive wireless addon that's supposedly on the way; didn't think to take 2nd gen resolutions into account. Still, with how obnoxious the cord can be, I imagine there will be a lot of incentive to come up with a solution of some sort.

$40 and an hour, tops, isn't too bad an investment to make a temporary fix. In my case, it wound up taking VR from something I could spend an hour or so doing before I became annoyed to me playing long enough to fully drain my controllers.

I'm really excited about wireless, though. No strings on me.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Cojawfee posted:

Ripcoil, yeah I have it. It's very very odd feeling and you spend half your time trying to not fall over. It's an extremely convincing sensation to your brain, but because you don't actually move sideways your body is all 'wtf' and you feel ill.
It's the only game I have that uniformly makes people feel ill. It's worth trying just because it really is a strange sensation.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Golf Club VR is really fun, however I find it's a problem not having an actual club in your hands. Without any weight it's way harder to make a swinging movement instead of some erratic hacking thing. Maybe it's easier if you play Golf in real life and already have some muscle memory.

Eleven Table Tennis is pretty much perfect though. Crazy what you can do with motion controls if the tracking is precise enough.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I made a quick and dirty mod for Receiver to make the sight posts white:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1isx7uzx8qrh48e/receiver_steamvr_white_sights.zip?dl=0

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Correnth posted:

If you have a recording of you playing I'd love to see it, so please feel free to share. Watching people interact with our game is always a valuable learning experience. Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts - As said you're our first review, so we'll probably print your post out and tape it on the office wall or something, as proof we made a game and someone actually did play it once. ;)

I'm not really happy with my voice recording for a few technical and personal reasons but I threw together a quick edit anyways since seeing that first experience of a new player will hopefully be pretty valuable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBIxmVG6t_o

Excuse the breathing being picked up, obviously using the Vive mic was a poor choice.

edit: Speaking of, what are those of you who are recording their VR gameplay using both hardware and software-wise? I'm using OBS for the gameplay recording but still playing around from the audio side. I'm using Audacity to record commentary on a separate track and this time fought OpenShot to stitch the tracks together.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jul 9, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

You can record multiple tracks with OBS, the only reason to use Audacity is for audio editing.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
So the Rift plus touch is going to be $400 for the next six weeks

https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/10/15943984/oculus-rift-touch-summer-sale-price-cut-vr-bundle

That's, uh, a pretty good price.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Wow. And for 6 weeks? That is a long sale. I think this might make some of my friends buy in.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Holy poo poo, that's crazy

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Bookulus getting desperate :v:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Fuckin' A, that's a "convince your buddies" pricepoint if I've ever seen one. Maybe I won't have to go into scary MP VR all by myself!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Whoa, we're almost at the price that Luckey promised us!

That really makes the price gap with the Vive difficult to ignore, I wonder if they'll respond now. Being twice as expensive as your competition is a really hard sell unless you're Apple or something.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Whoa, we're almost at the price that Luckey promised us!

That really makes the price gap with the Vive difficult to ignore, I wonder if they'll respond now. Being twice as expensive as your competition is a really hard sell unless you're Apple or something.

I hope Vive responds. I have a bunch of Game Stop funbucks I was going to use on a switch but VR at this price sounds too good to pass up. It's too bad GS doesn't sell Oculus products.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Lemming posted:

So the Rift plus touch is going to be $400 for the next six weeks

https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/10/15943984/oculus-rift-touch-summer-sale-price-cut-vr-bundle

That's, uh, a pretty good price.
That's bananas. I loving hope it works. More VR'ers is a good thing.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

If I was to read into that price drop (and the length of time the sale is running) I would speculate that this might be an opportunity for Oculus to rid themselves of stock, prior to unveiling a new revision of the Rift. It has to happen sooner or later...

No matter what though, it results in a very significant price difference between Oculus and its only real competitor. If Oculus has achieved a sufficient reduction in production costs to be able to sell them at that price and still make a profit, then Vive will find itself at a market disadvantage if they cannot similarly reduce price.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

But you're in VR. Maybe you like Quell but I loving hate it. Two minutes of watching corpses spin around on the ground made me never want to watch that game again.

Dude, talk about your loving strawman arguments, and a bullshit false dichotomy. The only options are retro 90s or ultra photo realistic? Really? What about games like Battlezone?

Battlezone is a retro styled shooter with non-photo-real graphics so it renders fast and smooth in VR. And there's no sprites.

Saying sprites alone transforms a VR experience into a 90s shooter is like saying more Doom clones should stick to only using right angles so they're more like Wolf3d. There's other ways to achieve a retro look, like palette and resolution, that don't have to make you use sprites. Like I just suggested, using voxel model approximations for the sprites would give them the exact same aesthetic but avoid the "turning around as you do" issue.

Of course it does, but you're on a monitor! That's kinda different?

VR being completely different from normal gaming is kinda why we have this thread?

Things like Quake 3 work on monitors but don't work in VR because of the extreme speed. Games have to be adapted in multiple ways, from design to interface. How do you not understand this?

That's what I was referring to, yes. :v:

If you've Stockholm syndrome'd yourself into loving the spinny sprites that's cool but I hate them and others in the thread have said so too.

Calm down you total spaz. Your smarmy personality is really going to charm more people into entering the wonderful world of vr. :v:

Anyway yeah I wouldn't call Battlezone photo realistic. It has its own cool art style and I like it. I own it too. Different vr games have different art styles. But 90s era FPS is a type of retro art style. Some people love it, so people hate it. You hate it. I get it. I can't convince you otherwise, but I personally enjoy playing such a game in VR. When I was a teenager during the Doom era it was the first wave of the VR craze which of course fell short of expectations, but my teenage self imagined it in the way that I experienced Quell 4D and that felt amazing. Hell and I wouldn't mind a VR game with 90 degree walls plus flat sprites in it Wolf 3D style either. Doom even has a Wolf 3D TC so I can actually play that in vr.

Also Quake can work in VR. There's the two Quake ports, plus there's a Quake 3 clone called Protonwar on the Vive. Protonwar also supports monitors, and both monitor and VR users can play together. Anyway I had no nausea issues with Protonwar, though again I realize that everyone is different. Even though it works for me, I do agree that it may not work for you and it may not have mainstream appeal. At the moment I play Protonwar with people on my friends list who also own the game.

iceaim fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jul 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Maybe Occulus is ditching stock before a sales injunction lands.