Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

Here's a homebrew idea I had, tell me how bad it is.

~~~
Plasma Mine - 3pts - Bomb Upgrade

Action: Discard this card to drop 1 Plasma Mine token.

When a ship's base or maneuver template overlaps this token, this token detonates.

Detonation: The affected ship rolls attack dice equal to the number of shield tokens they currently have and removes 1 shield token for each {hit} and {crit} rolled.

[Mine would be a single token and would be as long as a Cluster Mine set but thinner and look like a stretched oval.]
~~~

This rolls a max of six dice, which is the same as hitting a whole Cluster Mine set, but it hurts large ships worse than it hurts small ships, and most aces don't care about it. It can help against regen, but no matter what it can't kill a ship. And the wording of removing a shield instead of suffering damage prevents abuse of any potential abilities that would allow actual damage to get through like Kylo Ren.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Fenn/Zuckuss/Kavil is good fun. Almost as much power as FenZuckMann without the new range restriction. Even against Wes, the Mindlink didn't cause me problems with stress as I just kept green moves in mind. I even did a 3k with Zuckuss to trigger Outlaw Tech and lost nothing because Kavil doesn't give a poo poo and Fenn was doing a two hard anyway.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
#justTalonbaneCobraThings

Talonbane Cobra (28)
Stay On Target (2)
Glitterstim (2)
Engine Upgrade (4)

Fenn Rau (28)
Fearlessness (1)
Autothrusters (2)
Concord Dawn Protector (1)

Genesis Red (19)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)
Stealth Device (3)
"Heavy Scyk" Interceptor (Cannon) (2)

Total: 100

[url=https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Scum%20and%20Villainy&d=v4!s!135:96,-1,128:-1:3:;212:188,-1:43:15:;245:27:17:1:U.23&sn=*%23justTalonbaneCobraThings%20(TL)&obs=]View in Yet Another Squad Builder[/url]

Flew this list against a Super Dash and an Eaden Vrill. Blew them both up. I really like Talonbane Cobra, you guys. Also Genesis Red is cool too, especially with the HLC.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

IronSaber posted:

#justTalonbaneCobraThings

Talonbane Cobra (28)
Stay On Target (2)
Glitterstim (2)
Engine Upgrade (4)

Fenn Rau (28)
Fearlessness (1)
Autothrusters (2)
Concord Dawn Protector (1)

Genesis Red (19)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)
Stealth Device (3)
"Heavy Scyk" Interceptor (Cannon) (2)

[url=https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Scum%20and%20Villainy&d=v4!s!135:96,-1,128:-1:3:;212:188,-1:43:15:;245:27:17:1:U.23&sn=*%23justTalonbaneCobraThings%20(TL)&obs=]View in Yet Another Squad Builder[/url]

Flew this list against a Super Dash and an Eaden Vrill. Blew them both up. I really like Talonbane Cobra, you guys. Also Genesis Red is cool too, especially with the HLC.

Wait until Talonbane gets he hands on the Vaksai title, and the real fun begins :getin:

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
As someone mentioned N'Dru and cruise missiles looks sexy as. Just wondering if it would be competitive. Opinions, tweaks or just telling me to forget it would be welcome.

Thinking

Captain Nym (Scum) (30)
Attanni Mindlink (1)
Autoblaster Turret (2)
Bomblet Generator (3)
Accuracy Corrector (3)
"Genius" (0)
Havoc (0)

N'Dru Suhlak (17)
Attanni Mindlink (1)
Cruise Missiles (3)
Scavenger Crane (2)
Guidance Chips (0)

with either

Contracted Scout (25)
Attanni Mindlink (1)
Extra Munitions (2)
Plasma Torpedoes (3)
Cad Bane (2)
R4 Agromech (2)
Proximity Mines (3)
Guidance Chips (0)

or

Contracted Scout (25)
Attanni Mindlink (1)
Extra Munitions (2)
Plasma Torpedoes (3)
Tactician (2)
R4 Agromech (2)
Black Market Slicer Tools (1)
Anti-Pursuit Lasers (2)

Probably sinking to much into the scout and I don't expect to pull off 6 die attacks a lot, 5 die attacks is more realistic. N'Dru is a big enough threat in the early game to make most people either expose themselves to him or to the other ships.

Raged fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jul 7, 2017

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.
I've been toying with pretty much the same list, definitely think it has potential. Scout seems like far and away the best Cad Bane carrier for a Genius Nym.

My take swaps out Attanni for Stay On Target on Nym since getting him into range one is essential and VI on N'Dru.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I had a Good Night(tm) last night.

We're having an FLGS tournament at the end of the month, so some of my buddies wanted to try some new lists.

My first buddy is a drat fine x-wanger. He came up with a Miranda ASLAM Sabine/Dash list a few months before it became the hotness, for example. He was flying an odd list; a U-Wing piloted by Hess or Hoss or Huss something, T-70 Jess Pava with R2 and some sort of rockets or missiles, and an ARC-170 with gunner and some droid. I shoulda took some notes.

I, of course, was flying my beloved yet self-loathing Soontir/Carnor/Turr trinterceptor list; stealths, autothrusters, turr has VI, Soontir and Carnor have PTL.

It didn't seem like the bestest of lists; it didn't seem to have a good unifying theme or design strategy. Carnor got blown to snot when four greens came up eyeballs, I think Turr took some damage. But my brave little ints swarmed the ARC and blotted it from the map, whipped around like Remoras and mobbed the T-70 into dust, and time expired. Clear victory by points.

My second match was against a Oicunn decimator with Palp and Vader in a TAP with VI.

Now, I flew brilliantly, but he was also not as practiced with this list as he might have hoped. He started out with some lovely formation flying, Vader looking like a little baby duckling nestled up under it's mother's wing, but then they somehow got separated. Carnor went after Vader, as the Deci didn't seem to have much to do with focus/evade tokens, Turr flew support for that, while Soontir harassed the Deci, generally tokening up like a mad bastard. 'Evade, PTL, free focus token, take a focus.'

Vader didn't last long under the guns of Turr and Carnor. It was odd, flying against a ship with an even higher PS than mine, but I still managed to out-fox him.

Then, it was time to whomp on the Decimator. Having zero agility, and being built to be an Imperial Bulldozer, all I had to do was keep my Ints out of his lumbering path. Pushed through an early crit: major hull breach. All damage cards are face up. When you've got 12 hull, that's a lot of crits. One of the very next ones: a second MHB. Blinded pilot. Stunned pilot. Hard turns are now red. PS 0.

I ended that turn with a clean sweep. No attacks landed on my Ints, one damage from Oicunn's pilot skill.

It was a good night.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Is anyone here thinking advanced sensors on the Surrg w/Havok title would be a better idea thank fcs or acc. corrector? Being able to barrel roll before the manuver would be good for avoiding blocks to get that sweet, sweet bomblet where it needs to go.

Also are we 100% sure that scum Nym "ignore friendly bombs includes damage from them not just triggering them? I can see people arguing that.

Also Kong. Do you foresee a problem with the 2 Bumpmaster + Surrg catching damage from the bombs?

Raged fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jul 8, 2017

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

TheCenturion posted:

It was a good night.

Your post makes me want to fly Triple Interceptors but TLT makes me weary of doing so:

TIE Interceptor: · Soontir Fel (27)
Push The Limit (3)
Stealth Device (3)
Royal Guard TIE (0)
Autothrusters (2)
TIE Interceptor: · Carnor Jax (26)
Push The Limit (3)
Stealth Device (3)
Royal Guard TIE (0)
Autothrusters (2)
TIE Interceptor: Royal Guard Pilot (22)
Push The Limit (3)
Stealth Device (3)
Royal Guard TIE (0)
Autothrusters (2)
-- TOTAL ------- 99/100p. --

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

AndyElusive posted:

Your post makes me want to fly Triple Interceptors but TLT makes me weary of doing so:

TLT isn't bad too bad in the abstract. Bombs are.

I used to say that the nice thing about this list is that you live and die by your own skill at flying them. That's getting less and less true. But, I just can't fly anything else. These little bastards are so goddamn fast, and slippery. The look on your opponent's face when they realize Carnor is shutting them down utterly is so :agesilaus:. Especially something like one of those Rey Falcon builds that's all about generating, storing, and shenanigans with focus tokens. Or when you thread the needle between two opponent's firing arcs with Carnor, and you just can't help but reenact the waving scene from Top Gun.

Or towards the end game, if you make it that far, when you've got Soontir just following around a slow-rear end large base ship, going 'Green clears the stress. He'll focus, push the limit giving him another focus, then evade.' Or funny shenanigans with Turr. "Ok, attack, one hit, whatever. Now he'll trigger his pilot skill and roll out of arc."

Or that amazing feeling when you arc dodge such that you still have a shot, and they don't.

On the other hand, yeah, in the modern red dice game, it's pretty common to lose an Int to a single attack. Let alone bombs with Adv. Slam.

But still, I love the little bastards, even if they're very unsuitable for serious competition. On the other hand, you learn how to eyeball distances, movement templates and what not right quick, and there's a sick sense of satisfaction when you pull off a one hard bank right in front of an obstacle, or correctly guess the opponent's movement and have an interceptor stick to their rear end. Or when they forget your itty bitty 3 K-turn, or your long range 5 K, and you can just picture the thing whipping around, bracketing the opponent with all four cannon, and zap zap zapping away.

But nowadays, no, it's not that you make one wrong move and an Int disappears; it's that you can do everything right and it doesn't matter. I really hope that Interceptors get some love when TLJ comes out.

Soontir Fel (27)
Push the Limit (3)
Autothrusters (2)
Stealth Device (3)
Royal Guard TIE (0)

Carnor Jax (26)
Push the Limit (3)
Autothrusters (2)
Stealth Device (3)
Royal Guard TIE (0)

Turr Phennir (25)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Stealth Device (3)
Autothrusters (2)
Royal Guard TIE (0)

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I've moved to Quickdraw in my Kylo (Upsilon) + Ace list.

https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Galactic%20Empire&d=v4!s!226:98,36,132,-1,212,204:45:3:;208:220,36,17,204:42:31:&sn=KyloQuickdraw&obs=

I used to use Whisper, or sometimes Echo. No more. Quickdraw is so good.

More consistent offense, with more shots.
Less afraid to have Quickdraw in the fight.
Few hard counters to Quickdraw, compared to the many that can just wreck a Phantom.

Plus, the interaction between Lightweight Frame and Palp gives you a hell of a lot of control over how much damage Quickdraw takes. In nearly every game, I've found myself contemplating if I should Palp a blank to ensure I take just one damage to trigger the extra shot.

I also had a baller move where I did a maneuver over a rock to land range 1 of a Soontir Fel who hadn't moved or tokened up yet. I Palped the hit to lose the shield, then nuked Fel with Expertise + target lock (from the previous round). It was gorgeous.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

ConfusedUs posted:

I also had a baller move where I did a maneuver over a rock to land range 1 of a Soontir Fel who hadn't moved or tokened up yet. I Palped the hit to lose the shield, then nuked Fel with Expertise + target lock (from the previous round). It was gorgeous.
Hahahahahaha, holy poo poo

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

ConfusedUs posted:

Sick.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

ConfusedUs posted:

That is the raddest thing.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

What do you usually try to do against DengarTel?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

That's an ugly matchup that I haven't yet faced with Quickdraw. But I'd probably try to bait them into shooting at Kylo first, to get a blinded pilot out. Preferably on Dengar to limit him to one shot that round.

If I can trade the shuttle for Dengar I'm happy.

Edit: that's what I did with the Whisper version, but Whisper was far better at dodging arcs.

ConfusedUs fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jul 8, 2017

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Re: interceptors:

Carnor is fun, but I just haven't been able to use him effectively. I'm a fan of running Soontir, Tetran, and Turr. Choosing a k-turn speed for Tetran is slightly more forgiving than guessing wrong with Carnor and ending up in an arc or two. Turr is funny no matter what, and scores the majority of kills for me (using Soontir as the bait). His ability isn't as bad as the "Wait, Omega Leader gets to do what after he does a target lock?!" conversation, but it's an honest effort that I've caught plenty of people off-guard with here.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Quickdrawing untokened Soontir is the best feeling. I did it with Baffled Rage a couple of times.

Raged posted:

Is anyone here thinking advanced sensors on the Surrg w/Havok title would be a better idea thank fcs or acc. corrector? Being able to barrel roll before the manuver would be good for avoiding blocks to get that sweet, sweet bomblet where it needs to go.

Also are we 100% sure that scum Nym "ignore friendly bombs includes damage from them not just triggering them? I can see people arguing that.

Also Kong. Do you foresee a problem with the 2 Bumpmaster + Surrg catching damage from the bombs?

Advanced Sensors is great with bomblet generator and Genius. You get an insane amount of flex to where you can place bombs, at PS8 or 10. Either Nym is an amazing ace hunter - but in a world where aces have already been hunted to near-extinction...

I'm 99% sure that's what it will mean, but someone WILL argue the case, and it does need FAQ because FFG are poo poo at wording cards in X-Wing.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Played in a casual tourney where everyone was allocated random (pre-designed lists).

I ended up with Fenn, Tel, Quadjumper and Inaldra, all mindlinked. First time ever playing scum, and I understand how completely broken they are. Tel and Fenn basically did all the heavy lifting for t

The Quadjumper did jack-all for the first 2 games, but in the last round dealt 3 damage to Poe with a single glorious tractor beam. Barrel roll onto rock, takes 1 hit, flies through rock for another and lands on a second for a third. He also committed suicide in the same maneuver to spare me from getting stress-botted. I lost anyway, but it was hilarious.

ConfusedUs - I've played the Kylo-Whisper list for a couple of games and I've run into a recurring issue. The more experienced players here just rush and kill Whisper ASAP, leaving Kylo a lame duck due to his poor dial, how do you deal with it?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Kihraxz Fighter: Black Sun Ace (25)
Vectored Thrusters (1)
Guidance Chips (0)
Pulsed Ray Shield (1)
Vaksai (0)
Attanni Mindlink (0)
XX-23 S-Thread Tracers (0)
Black Market Slicer Tools (0)

Total: 25/100

X4

Incidentally, is there a way to copy a ship in Startactics? I've managed to figure most of it out but not that.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Z the IVth posted:

ConfusedUs - I've played the Kylo-Whisper list for a couple of games and I've run into a recurring issue. The more experienced players here just rush and kill Whisper ASAP, leaving Kylo a lame duck due to his poor dial, how do you deal with it?

Always leave a way out with whisper. Set up your dudes so they have to choose between Kylo and your ace. If they go for the ace, run and let Kylo do the shooting.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Looking to get into this super casual but I have a question:

How does FF do it's reprints?

For example if I wanted to get a new X-Wing, there is plenty of stock even on FF's website.

But if I wanted to buy a Tie-Advanced I need to pay 3x the normal price.

Or a Y-wing which is over $100

Will FF ever ship those again or should I just resign myself to playing with blue tie-fighters and and buying a giant ship I don't want to get an advanced.

(I just want to play Luke, Wedge, and Biggs vs Darth Vader and goons)

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

They reprint everything it just takes a while since every wave adds more stuff that needs to be added to the reprint cycle.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

banned from Starbucks posted:

They reprint everything it just takes a while since every wave adds more stuff that needs to be added to the reprint cycle.

Ok. Sweet.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

banned from Starbucks posted:

Yet another reason X-Wing needs a rotation.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Yeah don't pay a hundo for a y-wing lol.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

If you're dying for a Y-Wing (this is good because they're rad) you can buy the Scum and Villainy Most Wanted set, which includes a Y wing and two Z-95's for the scum faction as well as the scum conversions for the Firespray and HWK-290.
Then you can just proxy the rebel pilots for the Y-Wing, which looks like Yoda just lifted it out of a swamp.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

You'd think FF would reprint the more popular ships...

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

They do.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

If that's true, then where are my drat K-wings??! :argh:

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I'm hoping FF has a pile of older stuff at their booth at GenCon. I can't find a K-Wing anywhere, locally, or online

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

The reprint slowness is much worse in foreign markets. Dudes in Spain have been in a TIE Advanced drought for well over a year

They've got plenty of K Wings though 😀

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

IronSaber posted:

If that's true, then where are my drat K-wings??! :argh:

It was never real, you dreamt it up

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

Improbable Lobster posted:

It was never real, you dreamt it up

No! That's not true! That's impossible! :gonk:

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
New Y-Wings are hitting the shelves in Australia. No idea about K-Wings though.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Raged posted:

New Y-Wings are hitting the shelves in Australia. No idea about K-Wings though.

Weird, the site still shows them as awaiting reprint

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I had to wait four months to get my goddamn Y-Wings back when I first started playing in Wave 3, this isn't anything new.

Jerob
Mar 4, 2007
I'm sure this has been asked before, but...

Whats the go to app these days for army building? Android preferred, if possible.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Jerob posted:

I'm sure this has been asked before, but...

Whats the go to app these days for army building? Android preferred, if possible.

Startactics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Yet Another Squad Builder online is my preference.

X Wing Squadron Builder for android if you want an app but YASB works via the web on mobile devices.

• Locked thread